2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

47 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The third stringer gets more playing time than the backup. Does anyone see a problem with that? Albeit it is short yardage it still hinders development of a qb as no one gets better holding a clipboard or continuosly takes short yardage snaps. When a third qb was added to the game day roster years ago, I doubt if that was the purpose of doing that. It was to have a competent backup as the number 2 with a promising young qb as the number 3. He was to develop & eventually push out the older backup veteran. Once he did so, another young qb would come in to push the other qb ahead of him. That was how teams developed qbs & some like Calgary had succession plans. But now, that has morphed into the third stringer being the short yardage qb. The result is these younger qbs just don't learn like they used to. 

From what I saw whenever he replaced that wacko Dane Evans he did well. He nearly won the East Final when Evans was benched for being a *****. I think if he played the full game the Cats would have won. He did what a veteran backup is supposed to do. 

Wrong post.

Edited by Fatty Liver

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I look at a qb like Taylor Cornelius. The guy is just okay. The Elks will never win with him. Heavy on the word just. He'd be a great veteran backup. Tre Ford is a U Sports qb & being brutally honest, he hasn't faced athletes on defense in Canadian college football like he has as an Elk. His learning curve will be high. The qb situation in Edmonton remains very unsettled. 

I look at Caleb Evans in Ottawa. Terrible qb. He hasn't shown much in 2 seasons except that he's athletic but has a ten cent head. He will never be a starting qb & isn't even a competent backup. I always thought of him as Lapo's pet project. 

Argo's Chad Kelly is an interesting prospect & he may be the starting qb in Toronto next season.

I see Schilz in Hamilton & I think he can play as a backup/borderline starter. He's the one backup qb that caught my eye this season.

Montreal, I have no clue as Harris plays no matter what. Any team that employs a 7 year veteran as their third string short yardage qb like Dominique Davis has nothing worth talking about 

There's no one in Sask worth discussing either. Marcus Fines was thrown into the fire when Fajardo flamed out. He did his best playing behind that horrible offensive line & the results were the same as when fajardo played. They lost. Hard to judge a backup qb when he's running for his life on every passing play.

BC has a plan with Vernon Adams if Rourke leaves otherwise VAJ will be a sought after free agent if Superman returns. 

Calgary will have a big hole to fill with Mitchell leaving as Tommy Stevens can run but hasn't shown he can actually throw with any consistency because of the nature of his position. He had that one game when he had a coming out party rushing for something like 160 yards against the Riders but... as wbbfan said there's not a lot out there to get excited about. No obvious starter out there in waiting. Which is a scary proposition for the CFL in the long term.

Don't you see when you lay it all out like that, that the "vet back-up" you want doesn't exist?

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

I believe Shiltz was also injured much of the second half of the season, I think the Cats plan to hold onto him as their backup and move on from Evan's bigger contract and scrambled emotions.

I think everything hinges on Bo's decision. I think Hamilton would be a good fit for him but we'll have to see who he signs with. Evans, pffft. What team really wants to deal with all the emotional baggage he brings with him???

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

From what I saw whenever he replaced that wacko Dane Evans he did well. He nearly won the East Final when Evans was benched for being a *****. I think if he played the full game the Cats would have won. He did what a veteran backup is supposed to do. 

I believe Shiltz was also injured much of the second half of the season, I think the Cats plan to hold onto him as their backup and move on from Evan's bigger contract and scrambled emotions.

Just now, Jesse said:

Don't you see when you lay it all out like that, that the "vet back-up" you want doesn't exist?

Of course, I was talking about Schilz & no one else coming here. 

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If Bo signs he may go somewhere else. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

45 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Dru Brown has thrown 64 passes with 5 TDs and 2 INT 

Matthew Shiltz has thrown 356 passes with 12 TDs and 13 INT 

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/26/peace-out-embattled-ticats-quarterback-dane-evans-posts-video-of-moving-trucks-about-to-leave-hamilton/

So what? I suppose you are trying to say that Dru's stats are better than Schilz which mean absolutely nothing to me. I just know that some of the same people who are pumping Dru's tires here will turn on his so fast so a comment like yours hasn't a lot of relevance with me. We see posters wanting a change from Marc Liegghio & I'm one of them who is. I'll admit that.

I do respect your opinion but quoting a stat like that really means nothing to me. I'm not saying we get rid of Brown. He needs competition to get better. I'm just saying I'd like a veteran qb who has a chance of keeping us winning in the short term if Zach gets hurt. I'm not confident that Brown is that guy. As for Prukop, is he really competition for Brown? As in pushing Brown for the #2 spot? I don't think so. I just want to see competition behind Collaros for that coveted #2 spot. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I’m not overly excited about a guy who has been in this league a long time and has been mostly useless outside of spot duty this year. 

There have been examples of players who were late bloomers say & had very good careers later on. One of them beat us to win a GC this year.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There have been examples of players who were late bloomers say & had very good careers later on. One of them beat us to win a GC this year.

So a guy who took forever and a day to show anything is better than a guy who took massive leaps in his 2nd year and looked half assed decent outside a few rookie mistakes in his first start? 

You are a strange one to figure out sometimes.... at the same points in their careers Brown is light years ahead of where Schiltz was and its debatable that schultz is currently any better anyway.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The third stringer gets more playing time than the backup. Does anyone see a problem with that

No because when ever collaros has been unable to go it's Brown that goes in. Prukop being a runner more than a qb has a gimmick package they employ. It's basically some of the stuff they did with Streveler that Prukop is better suited to than Brown.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So a guy who took forever and a day to show anything is better than a guy who took massive leaps in his 2nd year and looked half assed decent outside a few rookie mistakes in his first start? 

You are a strange one to figure out sometimes.... at the same points in their careers Brown is light years ahead of where Schiltz was and its debatable that schultz is currently any better anyway.

Again, I'm not saying we get rid of Brown so just relax. I'm just saying I'd like the Number 2 position to be solidified. There's no way Brown's ready to be a full time starter if Collaros suffers a long term injury. But doesn't it scare you in the least that we had a great team that went 15-3 this past season & we had experience & depth at virtually every position except one? Fans of opposing teams are just waiting for that one hit that could turns a 15-3 team into a 5-13 team. And you can't say it can't happen. There's all kinds of championship ready teams that had their dreams derailed by injuries. With all the injuries we suffered on defense this past season imagine throwing a serious Collaros injury into the mix? It would have been a disaster. That's how fast things can change for a team. We all hope Zach never gets hurt again seriously because if he does it's probably over. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Guys, if some of you like 17to85 think I've lost my marbles then  please remember that I'm just playing Devil's Advocate for discussion purposes. I presented a POV about Dru Brown that some or maybe all of you don't agree with. However, that's okay as it's all in fun. Maybe I stirred the pot a bit but that's why we're here, right? I don't feel I'm wrong but I won't defend my opinion like it's my life or anything else other than we're having a chat here. So again, if anyone disagrees it's just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Again, I'm not saying we get rid of Brown so just relax. I'm just saying I'd like the Number 2 position to be solidified. There's no way Brown's ready to be a full time starter if Collaros suffers a long term injury. But doesn't it scare you in the least that we had a great team that went 15-3 this past season & we had experience & depth at virtually every position except one? Fans of opposing teams are just waiting for that one hit that could turns a 15-3 team into a 5-13 team. And you can't say it can't happen. There's all kinds of championship ready teams that had their dreams derailed by injuries. With all the injuries we suffered on defense this past season imagine throwing a serious Collaros injury into the mix? It would have been a disaster. That's how fast things can change for a team. We all hope Zach never gets hurt again seriously because if he does it's probably over. 

Shiltz doesn't do that. Brown has shown he can come in, under pressure and do whats needed to win against arguably the best defense in the league (CGY). He's also shown he can start and run the offense fairly well with only a week of practice. I see no reason why he would take a step back next year.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't want a franchise guy with Zach coming back for another 3 seasons. I want a competent veteran back up qb who we know can go in & play if Zach is hurt. Let the third stringer learn & eventually push the veteran qb out. That's what I want.

Zach might have 1 snap left. You must always be looking for the next guy.

Edited by Bigblue204

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Zach might have 1 snap left. You must always be looking for the next guy.

True but you're not going to find him when your starter has 12 years of experience & the backup has one game.

About Dru Brown, I really hope you guys are right & I'm wrong. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

My memory is hazy, but I believe Shiltz won a few games for the Als a few years back when they where struggling to win with Manziel, Pipkin and Drew Willy.  He's been in the CFL for 5 years and has demonstrated he's a solid backup, but I don't think any team is going to anoint him their starter unless the Riders are left with no other options now that they've pissed off Fajardo.

On 2022-11-25 at 3:39 PM, Jesse said:

For the record - I don’t think MOS is moving up into another role - he’s our coach and will be for some time. 

That said, the quote doesn’t say anything. He didn’t think about coaching while he was playing…until he became a coach…

Did everyone see that interview with O'Shea last Sunday before the game? Very interesting. Osh was selling medical equipment after retiring as a player, and it was Barker who got him into coaching. Thank goodness for that. I can't even imagine Osh as a sales guy lol.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Osh was selling medical equipment after retiring as a player, and it was Barker who got him into coaching

55 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Osh said the hardest part of moving from playing to coaching was "learning to use technology". That one made me laugh.

I guess he was selling tongue depressers and band aids.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I guess he was selling tongue depressers and band aids.

Medical sales is a pretty good job. The reps make $60-80,000 a year with pension, company car & benefits & they're not just selling band aids. Some work with physician & surgeons selling new equipment & technologies into hospitals & clinics. Those reps make well over a hundred thousand. My brother was a pharmaceutical rep for 35 years. I tried getting into pharmaceuticals when I was in my late 20's back in the 1980's. Never was able to do it, unfortunately. I had an Arts degree & not a Science degree.

Edited by SpeedFlex27