Whatever week this is - Non B2B Champs games

Geebrr

1 minute ago, greenrider55 said:

I thought so too. 

Duke is exactly who people say he is. Selfish, lazy, etc. He’ll be lucky to get $100k this season.

He is the ultimate me player...p.o.s and works harder trying to persuade followers than he does to up his game...or make "team" better...pure cancer and I even wonder who will sign him next yr

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

7 games. That is the number of times that the Riders faced the other team's starting QB in 2019. I would imagine that most teams would have a pretty impressive record if they had the same kind of luck with the opposition roster. Now I can hear everyone in Riderland saying but Fajardo was our backup...nope, not the same thing...he took over the reigns a half minute into game 1 and took every offensive first team rep after that. 

In those 7 games, 3 of them were against the 2 worst teams in the league. The RIders record in those 7 games....4-3. Smoke and mirrors.

That's the book on Fajardo, rarely does he ever beat a team with an experienced starting QB, the vast majority of his wins have come from beating up on weak sisters.

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is a myth that Jones can keep problematic players in check, but the Elks are examples that whatever he does is strictly short-term if/when it works. Jones is much like Tororella in the NHL who, except for one season cannot sustain a competitive team for long. Had Jones stayed in Regina, the outcome would have been the same sort of mess we see there now, differing only in detail. 

The difference is that Jones is more than willing to just release whoever he needs to no matter where they are playing. If they cost the team by being stupid Jones cuts them and moves on. Not saying that is the best approach either, but it is the reason that Jones is more willing than others to take on head cases and crap attitudes.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The difference is that Jones is more than willing to just release whoever he needs to no matter where they are playing. If they cost the team by being stupid Jones cuts them and moves on. Not saying that is the best approach either, but it is the reason that Jones is more willing than others to take on head cases and crap attitudes.

Impossible to get any continuity when you’re bringing in and cutting players at the pace that he was doing it. Idiotic in my opinion. There’s a difference between holding players accountable and trying to improve your club and the continuing revolving door Edmonton had. 

49 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

You will attract a guy looking to cash cheques though more than anything. Nothing about that organization would be appealing to a Stanley Bryant type guy - who won’t even make it to FA if they exist. 

Dean really slowed down in the second half of the year- I think he may hang them up, but he definitely won’t be back.

Sankey sure as **** won’t be back. Unless he loves losing. 

Dean was a much better LBer than Sankey imo. Honestly, if you look at the rush yards the Riders have given up for most of the season there is nothing there telling me that any team is particularly concerned about Sankey's presence in the middle. High tackle numbers for sure, but how many of those tackles are coming after the RB is 7-8 yards downfield. I always felt that tackle numbers for MLB is an over rated stat, sometimes it just shows that teams are willing to run right at you especially when they are running for 150 yds a game.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Impossible to get any continuity when you’re bringing in and cutting players at the pace that he was doing it. Idiotic in my opinion. There’s a difference between holding players accountable and trying to improve your club and the continuing revolving door Edmonton had. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for Chris Jones way to build a lineup. Just saying he filled his locker room with all kinds of bad attitude and his plan was to salvage what he could and cut the others adrift. Craig Dickenson didn't get the memo about releasing the bad apples.

Edited by GCn20

Yup...thats a squewed stat...and give me depth of tackle...or result after tackle

I also agree I think  Dean was the better player...Sankey had  nowhere near the impact he should have based off what he did in CGY...where he was surrounded by a team of team players

Biggies stats are less sparkling tackle wise...but go look at impact he has on the overall all success of the unit...and also all the other things he does to allow us to do different things with different players...how many mlb do u see at the line then all of a sudden have dropped into deep coverage...and has made multiple plays and interceptions from that spot

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Yup...thats a squewed stat...and give me depth of tackle...or result after tackle

I also agree I think  Dean was the better player...Sankey had  nowhere near the impact he should have based off what he did in CGY...where he was surrounded by a team of team players

Biggies stats are less sparkling tackle wise...but go look at impact he has on the overall all success of the unit...and also all the other things he does to allow us to do different things with different players...how many mlb do u see at the line then all of a sudden have dropped into deep coverage...and has made multiple plays and interceptions from that spot

I like Sankey and think he works hard, but I have to question his impact when teams are rushing for those kind of numbers against him. He is a great tackler, no doubt about it, but his ability to anticipate the play and plug the gap is obviously lacking.

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

There’s no clear front runner for DPOY this year. I wonder who gets the nod.

4 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Lemon probably gets the west nod, maybe McManis from the east?

That be my east nominee..possibly Mauldin..tho that's prob a stretch

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Imagine that went the other way 

We would never have heard end of it

10 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Blows my mind that for most of the season they started more NATs than necessary, but never even once gave a thought to dressing 3 IMPs on the OL. Just terrible coaching and management.

Until I see Fajardo play behind a competent OL, I'll reserve judgement that he's as bad as some here say he is. He'll sign somewhere. Maybe as a starter but probably he'll have to work his way back to that position from being a backup. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Until I see Fajardo play behind a competent OL, I'll reserve judgement that he's as bad as some here say he is. He'll sign somewhere. Maybe as a starter but probably he'll have to work his way back to that position from being a backup. 

Absolutely.  You can't really say 'he can't throw from the pocket' when he is rarely provided with an actual pocket. 

22 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yes, your coaching leaves a lot to be desired for sure. I can agree that Ferland has an upside of being serviceable. Yes, the RIders went 6-2 from LD onward, but it was an ugly, wart filled 6-2. Only 2 of those wins came against teams fielding their starting QB. Fajardo did manage to outduel CFL legends like Chad Kilgore, Jermaine Franklin, and Danny O'Brien but I don't suppose that is saying much. In fact, looking back over the entire season of 2019, the Riders only had 4 victories that came against teams starting their starting QB. Lots of lipstick on the pig that season. 

Calgary may have been thin at QB that year but I don't think they ever started the TSN anchor at QB...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Calgary may have been thin at QB that year but I don't think they ever started the TSN anchor at QB...

LOL...oops....well Jermaine is probably just as good.

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Absolutely.  You can't really say 'he can't throw from the pocket' when he is rarely provided with an actual pocket. 

You can say that because he demonstrated it even last year and in 2019. 

23 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

tackle stats are flawed. Usually it means your Defence is on the field a lot and that usually isn't a good sign. That's not always the case, but it's not surprising to see teams that have bad offences also having the league leader in tackles on their D.

True. In the case of MLBs I prefer the eyeball test. Does a team run at you? When they do, do they run for a high average? Everyone in Regina is raving about Sankey being the one great player against Calgary last week. I say what? Calgary literally ran for like 200+ yards between the tackles against them with 3 different running backs and had something like a 7.5 ypc average. I would say that the MLB had a busy day, but definitely not a good one.

23 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

There’s no clear front runner for DPOY this year. I wonder who gets the nod.

I would give it to Lemon.

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd be very happy to have Larry Fean or Sankey next year. Both are real pros who put their teams ahead of themselves. FIFO would work for them. 

I'd rather have Bighill than Sankey....and it ain't even a contest. Dean? Well he would be a nice add depending on Wilson's health.

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Put Fajardo behind a great OL and he can probably be a decent QB. That could be said about any starter in this league and a lot of the backups.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

True. In the case of MLBs I prefer the eyeball test. Does a team run at you? When they do, do they run for a high average? Everyone in Regina is raving about Sankey being the one great player against Calgary last week. I say what? Calgary literally ran for like 200+ yards between the tackles against them with 3 different running backs and had something like a 7.5 ypc average. I would say that the MLB had a busy day, but definitely not a good one.

I would give it to Lemon.

I'd rather have Bighill than Sankey....and it ain't even a contest. Dean? Well he would be a nice add depending on Wilson's health.

Bighill and Dean are both 34, they're within a year or two of calling it quits, Sankey at 28 is still in his prime.

21 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Bighill and Dean are both 34, they're within a year or two of calling it quits, Sankey at 28 is still in his prime.

Someone pointed out that Biggie has been in the league for 11 years, couldn’t believe that. That’s a longer career than the average CFL player, certainly can’t name many that are still in the league from 2011.