Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

4 hours ago, Booch said:

i think he not wanting to take a fitness test, and prove his health/skill level was nail in his coffin here and made it easier for Walters....that and the facthe had rubbed a lot of vets the wrong way in 2022 just added to it....and since he has lef has done nothing of note....for about 65k more of a hit to the SMS than BO

Imagine if we had retained him, and BO didn't get that yr last yr to learn/grow/find himself, he would have been doing that basically this yr, and may have never found his groove.....so things happen for a reason, and the smart football minds here allowed it to happen.

I bet when all said and done, BO if he stays healthy will likely eclipse Harris's rushing numbers here, and will be a one team guy his career, as he is a humble and kid and truly feels privledged to be on his hometown team for all the right reasons

I will never bet cash on the long term durability of any running back because they play a meat grinder of a position, but right now he offers way more value than Harris at a much better price.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Hodge doesn’t think Ford will come back up here this year - so I expect him back in a few weeks. 

Does Hodge know he may not have a choice if he wants to be paid to play football?

14 hours ago, Booch said:

People forget as well last yr he had 9 TDs...and over 700 yards...3rd most TDs om team and in top 8 in league...and that was with being basically ignored the first 5..6 games while he did the dirty work for others success...if he was anywhere else he'd be an easy 1000 yard top 10 guy in league..we lucky to have him so cheap

Bailey at his contract is one of the best value veteran contracts in the league.

26 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Exactly.

We're arguing semantics on this one. Some you see that and think we wanted him back, I see that and think that we didn't really want him back

Bombers definitely hoped Andrew would just retire and they could let him walk off into the sunset with nothing but happy feelings. Then he said he wanted to keep playing so we created all these conditions to make it possible because they didn't want to create resentment. 

I agree. We pushed him out the door. I, for one, have no issue with that. It was time.

21 hours ago, Booch said:

well...we did alot 120k for JA.....so there is that there, and if we don't bring him back, but bring back Mcrae who will be cheap....or a rookie instead of Mcrae...we have it covered....We don't really need a canadian backup to BO as we could shift the ratio...so that saving alone would cover Schoen basically

No it doesn't because you still have to roster someone to replace Auggie and pay them at least league minimum. If we don't dress a NAT backup, we still have to roster a NAT somewhere to replace Auggie. No player on the active roster leaves without a minimum league salary at least being added back. Doesn't have to be at the same position but a roster spot vacated is a roster spot to be filled.

The formula is very simple for any and every player we move on from. Their current salary minus the cost of replacement salary which at the very least is 71k per. The very most we can save on Auggie is 115k minus 71k. That's 45k we can use towards Schoen, and lose our NAT RB ratio if BO goes down. 

Edited by GCn20

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I will never bet cash on the long term durability of any running back because they play a meat grinder of a position, but right now he offers way more value than Harris at a much better price.

Does Hodge know he may not have a choice if he wants to be paid to play football?

Bailey at his contract is one of the best value veteran contracts in the league.

Hodge prob doesnt realize that if he not added t a pr within 10 days....he can only play up here....doofuss

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Hodge prob doesnt realize that if he not added t a pr within 10 days....he can only play up here....doofuss

Yea....I mean it's possible he gets a PR offer, and I hope he does for his sake but if he doesn't he has the option of playing here or taking a year off football and earning nothing. Couple that with the fact that 95% of players who don't latch onto a PR in the first 48 hours don't ever....and 95% of them return to the CFL...I am unclear on why Hodge would make such a statement with such overwhelming odds against it being accurate.

Edited by GCn20

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. We pushed him out the door. I, for one, have no issue with that. It was time.

yup....thats sports.....and we owed him nothing....thats how it goes when you are an aging vet...in decline

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No it doesn't because you still have to roster someone to replace Auggie and pay them at least league minimum. If we don't dress a NAT backup, we still have to roster a NAT somewhere to replace Auggie. No player on the active roster leaves without a minimum league salary at least being added back. Doesn't have to be at the same position but a roster spot vacated is a roster spot to be filled.

yes and no....we will have to have another person on the active roster for sure, but could also be a PR guy like Murphy or Kelly who basically are already in the SMS allotment...addition by subtraction...we don't neccesarily have to dress another JA...if we keep Mcrae around, or a diff style gy....for an in game backup we could use him....sprinkle in some Demski....many ways to skin the ol cat....JA 120 thatwas "budgeted" for goes a real long way in bumping up Schoen

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea....I mean it's possible he gets a PR offer, and I hope he does for his sake but if he doesn't he has the option of playing here or taking a year off football and earning nothing. Couple that with the fact that 95% of players who don't latch onto a PR in the first 48 hours don't ever....and 95% of them return to the CFL...I am unclear on why Hodge would make such a statement with such overwhelming odds against it being accurate.

hoping he is right and someone picks him up most likely to appear like more of an insider

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Sure, as long as he was willing to come in and be paid less than Augustine. The offer was PR, nothing more. 

Not here, we don’t have a spot. In general. We aren’t going older that’s for sure. 
 The offer was not pr. There is no pr offer in the off season. Cfl contracts don’t work that way. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I believe the contract that was offered was heavy on incentives. Including a fitness test before TC. Which was due to him not being focused the previous off season (which imo is understandable considering he was going through personal stuff). He also lost the trust of coaches and other vets due to his 2021 issues.

They wanted him back, but they wanted him to want to be here as bad as Brady. And he just didn't. 

Yep. Which is totally reasonable in that situation. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

he had an offer to pay him for what his role was "going" to be....not what his role "used" to be....he was not going to be the feature back here last yr if he would have accepted, and he had to take a fitness test, and complete physical....and he didn't like that part of it...probably because he knew the results were going to be less than stellar

Kudos to him milking the Argos for 160k last year....money well spent....not!!

Wonder what he is getting this year too. Bet it’s still more than Brady lol. 

48 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Exactly.

We're arguing semantics on this one. Some you see that and think we wanted him back, I see that and think that we didn't really want him back

Bombers definitely hoped Andrew would just retire and they could let him walk off into the sunset with nothing but happy feelings. Then he said he wanted to keep playing so we created all these conditions to make it possible because they didn't want to create resentment. 

The bombers were clearly surprised when he signed in to  

47 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Even back in 2002 the #3 and 4 for receptions on the team were Charles Roberts and Mike sellers. Lapo lives and dies with short passes to running backs. Always has and always will.

And passes to WRs that are at rb depth. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not here, we don’t have a spot. In general. We aren’t going older that’s for sure. 
 The offer was not pr. There is no pr offer in the off season. Cfl contracts don’t work that way. 

Yep. Which is totally reasonable in that situation. 

Wonder what he is getting this year too. Bet it’s still more than Brady lol. 

The bombers were clearly surprised when he signed in to  

The Bombers were clearly ACTING suprised when signed in TO imo. They pushed him out. Imo, the evidence is very clear on that. Actions speak louder than words on that.

53 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Exactly.

Andrew Harris agrees with your interpretation. Said so himself.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

We had a contract offer in for him, he declined the contingencies. So no we didn’t 100% not want him back. 
 Harris is still capable of a Demski esq role in the slot position too imo. Maybe 80 or 85% as effective as a slot but that’s still a lot. 

Yeah that’s a whole lot of production for a 4th wr. 
 I could see a push for woli to take an even friendlier team deal bolo right on his heels. And I think he would though I don’t think woli plays into his mid 30s. 

I see woli around town. The guy is just a delight.

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....thats sports.....and we owed him nothing....thats how it goes when you are an aging vet...in decline

yes and no....we will have to have another person on the active roster for sure, but could also be a PR guy like Murphy or Kelly who basically are already in the SMS allotment...addition by subtraction...we don't neccesarily have to dress another JA...if we keep Mcrae around, or a diff style gy....for an in game backup we could use him....sprinkle in some Demski....many ways to skin the ol cat....JA 120 thatwas "budgeted" for goes a real long way in bumping up Schoen

hoping he is right and someone picks him up most likely to appear like more of an insider

PR guys get paid PR pay. Once they are on the active roster they get paid league minimum. You take 120k guy off the AR, you MUST replace him with a guy making a minimum of 71k. That could be 18 different guys theoretically all getting one game cheque coming up from the PR but SMS hit is still 71k minimum. Therefore the very best you can do when taking a guy off the AR is to lower the salary to league minimum. No matter what EVERY team will have 45 men each week making at least 71k.  If one of those guys from the year before was making 120k and you replace that roster spot with a rookie making 71k the SMS savings are 44k and that is the best you can hope for.

Unless, of course, we had guys sitting on the PR making 71k a year anyway...which no team does.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I see woli around town. The guy is just a delight.

Yeah love the dude on and off the field. I don’t think he’s worried about money. But I also don’t think he will want to play till his wheels fall off. 

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The Bombers were clearly ACTING suprised when signed in TO imo. They pushed him out. Imo, the evidence is very clear on that. Actions speak louder than words on that.

Andrew Harris agrees with your interpretation. Said so himself.

andrew Harris pushed him self out. He failed to take care of him self in the off season or rehab properly. He popped for steroids. He was refused to do what is pretty common for an athlete his age. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah love the dude on and off the field. I don’t think he’s worried about money. But I also don’t think he will want to play till his wheels fall off. 

andrew Harris pushed him self out. He failed to take care of him self in the off season or rehab properly. He popped for steroids. He was refused to do what is pretty common for an athlete his age. 

You get no argument from me on that. The Bombers were totally justified in how they approached it.

likely not....not a Canadian anyway...but he will be replaced by a league minimum...so 50K of allotted SM can go right to Schoen...that alone will get him to 120kish and with other vets likely seeing the road, it's pretty easy for us to lump 60 to 80k more

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Excuse my acronym, Public Relations, not practice roster.

It was a public relations move to not ruffle the feathers of fans who may have been upset if we did Andrew dirty. It worked too. Most took the team's side when Andrew started beaking off in the media.

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Excuse my acronym, Public Relations, not practice roster.

It was a public relations move to not ruffle the feathers of fans who may have been upset if we did Andrew dirty. It worked too. Most took the team's side when Andrew started beaking off in the media.

I completely disagree. That's just not the way this regime works at all. They wanted Harris back in a certain role. He lost the trust of teammates and coaches, and management wanted him to earn that trust back. Andrew didn't see it that way and left. At no point was there an attempt to get in front of public backlash.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

PR guys get paid PR pay. Once they are on the active roster they get paid league minimum. You take 120k guy off the AR, you MUST replace him with a guy making a minimum of 71k. That could be 18 different guys theoretically all getting one game cheque coming up from the PR but SMS hit is still 71k minimum. Therefore the very best you can do when taking a guy off the AR is to lower the salary to league minimum. No matter what EVERY team will have 45 men each week making at least 71k.  If one of those guys from the year before was making 120k and you replace that roster spot with a rookie making 71k the SMS savings are 44k and that is the best you can hope for.

Unless, of course, we had guys sitting on the PR making 71k a year anyway...which no team does.

All prorated by 18 games of course.

Augustine is paid for the year now anyway.

120-70 is 50

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

You’d be surprised. Plenty of imps get full time pay to be on the pr. It’s at the discretion of the team.  I bet Richmond is getting that. Dudes not sitting on our pr and it for pennies in his now late 20s. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You’d be surprised. Plenty of imps get full time pay to be on the pr. It’s at the discretion of the team.  I bet Richmond is getting that. Dudes not sitting on our pr and it for pennies in his now late 20s. 

was just gonna say...some guys on the PR are pulling in game cheque type pay....don't kid yourself....all the team needs to do is pay the minimum....they could pay a guy 100k to sit on a pr if they choose to....

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

was just gonna say...some guys on the PR are pulling in game cheque type pay....don't kid yourself....all the team needs to do is pay the minimum....they could pay a guy 100k to sit on a pr if they choose to....

I think most of the guys who sit pr for min are rookie imps who waited for an nfl deal soo long they missed the season and come up when the pr expands. Hard to say no to any money when you miss out the rest of the year. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

All prorated by 18 games of course.

Augustine is paid for the year now anyway.

120-70 is 50

Your math is correct. I stated 120 but am sticking to 115 as being his salary as reported on 3DN.

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

They could pay a guy a million to sit on the PR....but no team does it. The Bombers definitely do not. Name me the player on our PR making 71k right now.

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

No way. They might get paid more than the 500 bucks a week but zero chance any of them are making league min on our PR. Our current 45 man SMS would not allow for such spending on the PR. We would 6 game IR them if that was the case.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Your math is correct. I stated 120 but am sticking to 115 as being his salary as reported on 3DN.

They could pay a guy a million to sit on the PR....but no team does it. The Bombers definitely do not. Name me the player on our PR making 71k right now.

No way. They might get paid more than the 500 bucks a week but zero chance any of them are making league min on our PR. Our current 45 man SMS would not allow for such spending on the PR. We would 6 game IR them if that was the case.

and.....u can make that claim how?...let me just tell you...u will be surprised

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I completely disagree. That's just not the way this regime works at all. They wanted Harris back in a certain role. He lost the trust of teammates and coaches, and management wanted him to earn that trust back. Andrew didn't see it that way and left. At no point was there an attempt to get in front of public backlash.

We pushed him out the door. We offered him 3rd string money and told him he would have to jump through hoops to get it.

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

and.....u can make that claim how?...let me just tell you...u will be surprised

How can I make that claim? My calculator tells me so. Add up the salaries. I did it at the beginning of this year and couldn't find enough left over for even regular PR based on reported salaries. While some of those are probably off by a few thousand here or there, it still doesn't allow for the type of spending you guys suggest is happening on the PR. Maybe at one time we did that but our wiggle room is very narrow now. Maybe Richmond at double pay or something like that, but not game cheque. Of course, envelopes of cash do happen in this league...we all know that but that doesn't count against SMS anyway.

Edited by GCn20