Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Imo not unless we find another schoen Esq star impact rookie on a cheap deal in camp. 

We need to get back to drafting high upside ol. Since Dobson the pipeline has been empty. And we will need to have good young guys in those back up spots, not new versions of kola. 

I can’t not imagine moving on from Cole. He’s shown soo many glimpses of being special. So it’ll probably be him going lol 

Agree. 

Yeah I think this yr we get the best olineman available with our first pick...It's time to groom the next Eli/Dobson.....and keep that cupboard full with top talent...Next pick best be a high upside defensive guy on the line, as the 2 guys we drafted last yr...ain't gonna be anything, and Bennett won't really be either...unless he makes some dramatic turn around this yr, but he will be turning 28 next yr during the season...so not like he is a young development project

I do like Cole tho, and can see a role for him...christ see one now, and he has been getting more and more reps on defence when the game still matters, so obviously the team see's it too.

I still think he would make a killer safety or SAM personally, same with Ford, and this was his one time shot for the NFL...guys like him are dime a dozen in the NFL talent pool coming out of school every yr, and with U.S football experience, I was shocked he got a deal, but it was based mainly on his testing numbers....so hopefully we lock him up after his rookie deal...He also is a real good returner, so would be extra valuable on the game day roster

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some of you here can insult them all you want but some great players & teams have come from there nonetheless. High school football teams from Southern Alberta including teams from Lethbridge & Raymond areas routinely kick the **** out of teams from Calgary on a regular basis. Blake Nill, Nate Coehorn & the Ralph brothers also come from around there. As did Stamps CFHOF OL Lloyd Fairbanks, I believe. He grew up in Cardston which is 55 km away. 

Oh I love southern AB. I grew up in Medicine Hat, actually played at the same high school that Nate Coehoorn did. I just personally hated playing in Cardston.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

At age 16 Crosby was in the Q... at age 16 Rourke was playing High school football in Oakville, Ont...

At age 18 Crosby was playing in Pittsburgh... at age 18 Rourke was playing football in Ohio (or maybe Fort Scott CC in Kansas)...

Not sure what the difference is... you're nitpicking on "development"... hockey and football have different systems... either way Rourke has played as much football in Canada as Crosby has played in Canada... technically more since he has two years of Canadian pro football too 

Rourke also went U.S prep school for his senior yr prior to University ball...and from experience that 1 yr alone in prep school environment would have gotten him more training and and experience, as well as quality teaching than all his football experience in Canada combined...Then 4 yrs of U.S training and coaching in College, which makes the Canadian equivalent look like a joke....so yeah he played some minor football here and a few yrs of highschool ball, but it in no way shaped him and prepared him for the pro's like the route Ford has taken

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah I think this yr we get the best olineman available with our first pick...It's time to groom the next Eli/Dobson.....and keep that cupboard full with top talent...Next pick best be a high upside defensive guy on the line, as the 2 guys we drafted last yr...ain't gonna be anything, and Bennett won't really be either...unless he makes some dramatic turn around this yr, but he will be turning 28 next yr during the season...so not like he is a young development project

I do like Cole tho, and can see a role for him...christ see one now, and he has been getting more and more reps on defence when the game still matters, so obviously the team see's it too.

I still think he would make a killer safety or SAM personally, same with Ford, and this was his one time shot for the NFL...guys like him are dime a dozen in the NFL talent pool coming out of school every yr, and with U.S football experience, I was shocked he got a deal, but it was based mainly on his testing numbers....so hopefully we lock him up after his rookie deal...He also is a real good returner, so would be extra valuable on the game day roster

Yeah I love coles aggressiveness, athleticism and football iq. He gives up the body to make the play for the team soo often too. Gotta work a guy like that in more and more. 
Yeah he’d be a lot of fun to see at S. it’d be great to get him rotating in as an extra s instead of Hallett and really get ba to mentor him. That’s the perfect guy to learn from. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Bailey is so criminally underpaid you don't move on from guys like that to save money.

yup

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Oliviera is not on a rookie deal.

Bailey and Darby are well into six figures.  Replace them with a rookie is 60-80k each.

Replace Neufeld with Dobson/Eli, that's almost 100k.

Augustine with a rookie is 60k difference.

Neither of them are actually....they not on rookie/entry deals but we have them at a wicked savings.....That being said I can see Darby gone tho as Parker..Swarmay and if Ford is bck have his role more than covered

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yeah I love coles aggressiveness, athleticism and football iq. He gives up the body to make the play for the team soo often too. Gotta work a guy like that in more and more. 
Yeah he’d be a lot of fun to see at S. it’d be great to get him rotating in as an extra s instead of Hallett and really get ba to mentor him. That’s the perfect guy to learn from. 

be the perfect compliment to BA if he was to get knicked

I thought the new CBA changed the ELC min to about $72K?

EDIT:

According to the new collective bargaining agreement, the 2023 salary cap is set at $5,450,000 (average $121,111 per active roster spot) As per the agreement, the cap is fixed and will not vary with league revenue performance until 2024. The minimum player salary is set at $71,000.

Edited by Blue In BC

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Oliviera is not on a rookie deal.

Bailey and Darby are well into six figures.  Replace them with a rookie is 60-80k each.

Replace Neufeld with Dobson/Eli, that's almost 100k.

Augustine with a rookie is 60k difference.

Bailey signed for 88k. It was widely reported. Darby is not anywhere near 6 figures either according to media reports. I call BS on your numbers. Also in what world is replacing Neufeld with Dobson a 100k difference. Dobson is going into FA this offseason and I can guarantee you it will take money to keep him. Augustine with a rookie 60k? No way he is earning 130k this year. Not trying to argue but your numbers are out to lunch.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Bailey signed for 88k. It was widely reported. Darby is not anywhere near 6 figures either according to media reports. I call BS on your numbers. Also in what world is replacing Neufeld with Dobson a 100k difference. Dobson is going into FA this offseason and I can guarantee you it will take money to keep him. Augustine with a rookie 60k? No way he is earning 130k this year. Not trying to argue but your numbers are out to lunch.

Augustine is around BO numbers which is bizzare....and likely 1/3 of that will go to BO next yr...the rest elsewhere

And yes Bailey and Darby are bargains bigtime....new rookie deals are 71k minimum going into next yr as well

Edited by Booch

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup

Neither of them are actually....they not on rookie/entry deals but we have them at a wicked savings.....That being said I can see Darby gone tho as Parker..Swarmay and if Ford is bck have his role more than covered

be the perfect compliment to BA if he was to get knicked

Yea, there was a big deal made about the contract that Bailey landed on. It was 88k. That is exceptional value. Could we save 15k by going raw rookie...sure...but only an idiot GM would do that. Darby will be gone, but again...he was in the high 80s to low 90s on his contract so it does not represent a lot of savings because we still need to roster someone in his stead and that will be 71k minimum. However, I do believe we move on to give younger blood a chance. Dobson is getting a big raise or we will lose him. Simple as that. I do not think the Bombers want to lose him. Savings will come from guys like Miller who are surprisingly highly paid.

Just now, Booch said:

Augustine is around BO numbers which is bizzare....and likely 1/3 of that will go to BO next yr...the rest elsewhere

And yes Bailey and Darby are bargains bigtime....

Auggie and BO both signed for 115k and 120k respectively according to 3DN.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

And yes Bailey and Darby are bargains bigtime....new rookie deals are 71k minimum going into next yr as well

Yea, I think Augustine is a likely SMS casualty to free up BO's raise.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Dobson is option year of his rookie deal next year.  $75,000 hard money.  Eli already on the books.  Neufeld all in with roster bonuses and housing pushing $160,000.  Bryant up at $190,000.  Hardrick $160,000 with incentives.  If Neufeld goes we already have the replacement here, likely replacing that 7th OL spot with a kick chasing draft pick backup LB/DB/receiver/RB at $71,000.  $160 - 71, so about 90,000 hard money.

Darby on his free agent deal from Hamilton still.  Walters pushed BA's bonus money into 2022 and signed him to a full hard money deal for less this year to cover that off.

Bailey has incentives that he will hit for playing snaps and being on the roster.  

Augustine next year with minimum rising will be about 50-55k difference if replacement is a draft pick.  Augustine won't hit any of his offensive play time bonuses but hit all the roster ones.  He's in the $115,000 range with that.  If it's a vet will be less savings.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea, there was a big deal made about the contract that Bailey landed on. It was 88k. That is exceptional value. Could we save 15k by going raw rookie...sure...but only an idiot GM would do that. Darby will be gone, but again...he was in the high 80s to low 90s on his contract so it does not represent a lot of savings because we still need to roster someone in his stead and that will be 71k minimum. However, I do believe we move on to give younger blood a chance. Dobson is getting a big raise or we will lose him. Simple as that. I do not think the Bombers want to lose him. Savings will come from guys like Miller who are surprisingly highly paid.

yup....Dobson will now be into the 110k -115k range next yr...maybe...I say that as we have Hardrick as the 20th highest paid lineman at 140k (166k max)....and Bryant is at 190k.(thats max...technically tied with a whack of others....none of our other olineman are in top 20, so good guess is that Neuf is prob around 130K and Gray around the same or just under....so small bumps to even Gray and Neuf would still allow us to easily sign Dobson...and we know both Bryant and Hardrick will wait and sign fair deals when we have others locked in...as thts what they do....If we go out with a cup win tho this yr I could see Bryant maybe calling it a career, but thats not a 100% thing 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Dobson is option year of his rookie deal next year.  $75,000 hard money.  Eli already on the books.  Neufeld all in with roster bonuses and housing pushing $160,000.  Bryant up at $190,000.  Hardrick $160,000 with incentives.  If Neufeld goes we already have the replacement here, likely replacing that 7th OL spot with a kick chasing draft pick backup LB/DB/receiver/RB at $71,000.  $160 - 71, so about 90,000 hard money.

Darby on his free agent deal from Hamilton still.  Walters pushed BA's bonus money into 2022 and signed him to a full hard money deal for less this year to cover that off.

Bailey has incentives that he will hit for playing snaps and being on the roster.  

Augustine next year with minimum rising will be about 50-55k difference if replacement is a draft pick.  Augustine won't hit any of his offensive play time bonuses but hit all the roster ones.  He's in the $115,000 range with that.  If it's a vet will be less savings.

your Neuf numbers are way wrong

Edited by Booch

Augustine will make 99k this yr..thats maxed out...he wont hit his other incentives which could have banked him 120K...so basically next yr him off the books is a alloted 120k...tho he only will have pulled in 99k....u have to look at the max price in what we have as the structure..

BO max is 114k...Hard money was 100k...so I assume from what he doing he will make his max...I sure the extra 6k was for another 1000 yard season/or leading league...so he gonna hit both unless he goes down for rest of yr

Our highest paid DB is BA and thats hard money of 101k...

all in all...we will be able to retain who we want to, and possibly grab a new vet who we covet

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....Dobson will now be into the 110k -115k range next yr...maybe...I say that as we have Hardrick as the 20th highest paid lineman at 140k (166k max)....and Bryant is at 190k.(thats max...technically tied with a whack of others....none of our other olineman are in top 20, so good guess is that Neuf is prob around 130K and Gray around the same or just under....so small bumps to even Gray and Neuf would still allow us to easily sign Dobson...and we know both Bryant and Hardrick will wait and sign fair deals when we have others locked in...as thts what they do....If we go out with a cup win tho this yr I could see Bryant maybe calling it a career, but thats not a 100% thing 

your Neuf numbers are way wrong

Put the number down then.  Neufeld all in this season will be around $160,000.  He's hit roster bonuses and will hit playtime ones, he's already banked about $15,000 on top of his base for those.  Gray is in the Oliviera range, $115 hard with some roster and playtime incentives.  Also a free agent after this season and with the shitty OL play (Sask is paying far worse players a bunch more) around the league he'll be more in the Neufeld range next year.  Chungh for example all in is up around $200 k.

Dobson they only have to increase if they are extending him.  He's in his option year next year.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Put the number down then.  Neufeld all in this season will be around $160,000.  He's hit roster bonuses and will hit playtime ones, he's already banked about $15,000 on top of his base for those.  Gray is in the Oliviera range, $115 hard with some roster and playtime incentives.  Also a free agent after this season and with the shitty OL play (Sask is paying far worse players a bunch more) around the league he'll be more in the Neufeld range next year.  Chungh for example all in is up around $200 k.

Dobson they only have to increase if they are extending him.  He's in his option year next year.

where you getting those Neufeld numbers?...BO will max out at 114k...not a penny more

Edited by Booch

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Option year is 85k for Dobson. Darby was re-signed on Feb. 5/2023 for 82k according to 3DN. Bailey's contract maxes out at 88k. Couldn't find media confirmation on Alexander, Gray, or Augustine although media did confirm he makes "close" to what BO is getting.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Option year is 85k for Dobson. Darby was re-signed on Feb. 5/2023 for 82k according to 3DN. Bailey's contract maxes out at 88k. Couldn't find media confirmation on Alexander, Gray, or Augustine although media did confirm he makes "close" to what BO is getting.

BA hard money 101k....and Augustine will max out at 99k...could have made as much as 120k...but wont hit rest of his incentives....Gray no clue but I sure between 110-120k

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

BA hard money 101k....and Augustine will max out at 99k...could have made as much as 120k...but wont hit rest of his incentives....Gray no clue but I sure between 110-120k

Thought I read somewhere Gray was 120k, but I can't confirm that because I can't find the source. However, one would have to think he has earned a raise off that.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Thought I read somewhere Gray was 120k, but I can't confirm that because I can't find the source. However, one would have to think he has earned a raise off that.

At any rate, my point was it will take more than ham and egger vet contracts off the books for us to keep Schoen. He is in all likelihood going to command 200k in salary vs the league minimum he is playing for now. That's 130k that needs to be found. Can it be done? Sure it can, but not without turning a good number of contracts over to rookies or saying goodbye to a couple big fish and replacing them with rookies. It will be very tough to resign him. Going to take a lot more than a Darby and a Augustine to get this done and that's not even factoring in some other young guys who will be deserving of raises as well. 

If we are lucky Lawler has a good chat with him about FA, and Schoen stays with us below market value.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

At any rate, my point was it will take more than ham and egger vet contracts off the books for us to keep Schoen. He is in all likelihood going to command 200k in salary vs the league minimum he is playing for now. That's 130k that needs to be found. Can it be done? Sure it can, but not without turning a good number of contracts over to rookies or saying goodbye to a couple big fish and replacing them with rookies. It will be very tough to resign him. Going to take a lot more than a Darby and a Augustine to get this done.

well...we did alot 120k for JA.....so there is that there, and if we don't bring him back, but bring back Mcrae who will be cheap....or a rookie instead of Mcrae...we have it covered....We don't really need a canadian backup to BO as we could shift the ratio...so that saving alone would cover Schoen basically

This regime has already proven it will move on if it makes sense money wise and they have some one to replace them. Best example was Andrew Harris.  As long as we keep our key personnel Coaching and Management wise,we will be fine.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Bailey is so criminally underpaid you don't move on from guys like that to save money.

I'd keep him at his current contract which is only marginally lower then what he "should" be getting paid.    If its Schoen vs Bailey it's not even a discussion on who gets the big raise and who should be let go.        It's not impossible to find talent at a cheaper price to replace the 500 - 600 yards that Bailey will get per year.  He's not the only receiver in the league who blocks.  

5 hours ago, Booch said:

yup....there no reason we cant move on from Kramdi...Kolo...Briggs..Thomas..Cadwallder...Hallett contracts that are not league minimums and replace them with cheaper and the same if not better talent, and use that surplus for a Schoen and whomever neds a bump....Looking at roster he is the only one requiring a significant raise

Houston may also be due for a raise but I think he's more replaceable if need be with ADS and others able to take on a corner spot. The other players that come to mind are Dobson and Eli, depending on contract status.

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd keep him at his current contract which is only marginally lower then what he "should" be getting paid.    If its Schoen vs Bailey it's not even a discussion on who gets the big raise and who should be let go.        It's not impossible to find talent at a cheaper price to replace the 500 - 600 yards that Bailey will get per year.  He's not the only receiver in the league who blocks.  

You are selling Bailey very very short here.