Jump to content

TSN's Panel & Crew


Recommended Posts

Yeah Fergason is good..and will get better .Suitor is just a tool...and won't...and yeah he thinks Acklin is god...and basically babbles on and on about things that add zippo to the game...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

That interview with Sinopoli in the press box, overriding the play was awful. I don’t want to see sinopoli learn the telestrater while missing action on the field. Piss poor direction. 

another thing to make me irate last night...was literally screaming at the TV for Sinopoli to shut the **** up. I do not give a single **** about anything he says....Christ sakes just show me the damn game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

another thing to make me irate last night...was literally screaming at the TV for Sinopoli to shut the **** up. I do not give a single **** about anything he says....Christ sakes just show me the damn game. 

Yeah we didn't need to see 4 breakdowns of his play 20 friggin yrs ago and have live action on half a screen...who gives a damn hell about that?!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

That interview with Sinopoli in the press box, overriding the play was awful. I don’t want to see sinopoli learn the telestrater while missing action on the field. Piss poor direction. 

As that happened I actually thought about this thread. TSN has a production problem. There is no way they would attempt that during any other sport. I think seeing the old highlights and celebrating 25 years of FNF is a fun idea. Show them at halftime or blatant down time. I don't need to lose half the screen to an old replay and then have a breakdown of that play, particularly during live action. 

TSN actually has good PBP guys. Smith, Neilson, Ferguson are all good or fine. Suitor is by far the worst colour guy, but Forde and Dunigan (when asked) are good too. 

As for Beirness and the panel, I expect they would all be a lot better if the people running the show had any clue what viewers prefer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Why does TSN assume we want these interviews? You never see this on an NFL telecast for example.

At the risk of being called contrarian (which let’s face it some will do any time I comment, so let’s just go ahead) the most popular or at least most talked about innovation in NFL broadcasts is having the Manning brothers sit in their rec rooms a country apart jawing about things and having guests on during the broadcast, with the actual play by play a distant second in terms of focus, and the game itself in a small box in the corner. And college football does that “5 different telecasts” lunacy for the championship with the game-long  sideline reports, advanced stats booth, in studio commentary and pretty much anything other than a “normal” broadcast. So it’s not like the CFL is doing something other broadcasts aren’t doing in their own way.

Now do I like it? Absolutely not. And certainly it doesn’t seem like most die hard purists do either, judging by the message board responses. But it’s about attracting new eyeballs with new gimmicks. They are not at risk of losing the folks at MBB with this new approach (people enjoy screaming about their hatred of Suitor in multiple posts more than just muting him and synching the radio broadcast, it’s like a drinking game), so they won’t worry about angry comments so long as those comments keep coming. I think it is being poorly executed and a bad concept, but it seems to be the way of the future in most leagues, not solely the CFL, and my demographic is the way of the past.  So right or wrong, I think that’s why TSN assumes some (not us, but a target demo they want) want to see a new wrinkle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Dunigan really tore Benevides a new one last night.

I recall seeing Lapo and Benevides doing a pub crawl during the last Grey Cup week hosted in Winnipeg. They were not sloshed or making fools of themselves, just buds going out, shooting the ****. Seeing that Lapo has Benevides on his staff, makes me think that Ottawa didn’t try much more than what they thought as adequate to fill a position. They hired a “I know a guy”. There has to be better coaches out there than Mike Benevides. 

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

At the risk of being called contrarian (which let’s face it some will do any time I comment, so let’s just go ahead) the most popular or at least most talked about innovation in NFL broadcasts is having the Manning brothers sit in their rec rooms a country apart jawing about things and having guests on during the broadcast, with the actual play by play a distant second in terms of focus, and the game itself in a small box in the corner. And college football does that “5 different telecasts” lunacy for the championship with the game-long  sideline reports, advanced stats booth, in studio commentary and pretty much anything other than a “normal” broadcast. So it’s not like the CFL is doing something other broadcasts aren’t doing in their own way.

Now do I like it? Absolutely not. And certainly it doesn’t seem like most die hard purists do either, judging by the message board responses. But it’s about attracting new eyeballs with new gimmicks. They are not at risk of losing the folks at MBB with this new approach (people enjoy screaming about their hatred of Suitor in multiple posts more than just muting him and synching the radio broadcast, it’s like a drinking game), so they won’t worry about angry comments so long as those comments keep coming. I think it is being poorly executed and a bad concept, but it seems to be the way of the future in most leagues, not solely the CFL, and my demographic is the way of the past.  So right or wrong, I think that’s why TSN assumes some (not us, but a target demo they want) want to see a new wrinkle. 

Don't see any parallel's between the Manning Cast and bringing on someone that one fanbase would know and most casual fans would barely recall to interrupt broadcasting of gameplay.

I think if the CFL did version without PBP maybe more of just a panel over the game broadcast it could be popular with the right people.

The problem with the TSN production is that it does everything it can to draw away from the actual game, the actual sport but doesn't even do that with anything or anyone remotely interesting that might actually draw in some more casual fans/fans who aren't following the two teams playing that night.

The CFL should be pissed at how the games are produced but their own marketing has the same problem.  The formula is pretty simple, the NFL and NBA have mastered it.  The CFL and TSN continue to try to chart their own course and continue to fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

There has to be better coaches out there than Mike Benevides. 

redblack d doesnt seem to have much trouble handling the two time champs offence. their d is good.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Mark F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mark F said:

redblack d doesnt seem to have much trouble handling the two time champs offence.

 

whats wrong with him as a D coordinator?

 

At first blush, I’ll say that after 22 years in the CFL he has not shown any high level of success. He makes a living. Not a living legend, imo. I certainly don’t mind if you like the guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

At the risk of being called contrarian (which let’s face it some will do any time I comment, so let’s just go ahead) the most popular or at least most talked about innovation in NFL broadcasts is having the Manning brothers sit in their rec rooms a country apart jawing about things and having guests on during the broadcast, with the actual play by play a distant second in terms of focus, and the game itself in a small box in the corner. And college football does that “5 different telecasts” lunacy for the championship with the game-long  sideline reports, advanced stats booth, in studio commentary and pretty much anything other than a “normal” broadcast. So it’s not like the CFL is doing something other broadcasts aren’t doing in their own way.

Now do I like it? Absolutely not. And certainly it doesn’t seem like most die hard purists do either, judging by the message board responses. But it’s about attracting new eyeballs with new gimmicks. They are not at risk of losing the folks at MBB with this new approach (people enjoy screaming about their hatred of Suitor in multiple posts more than just muting him and synching the radio broadcast, it’s like a drinking game), so they won’t worry about angry comments so long as those comments keep coming. I think it is being poorly executed and a bad concept, but it seems to be the way of the future in most leagues, not solely the CFL, and my demographic is the way of the past.  So right or wrong, I think that’s why TSN assumes some (not us, but a target demo they want) want to see a new wrinkle. 

The thing about the "Manning casts" is that they have that on a seperate network, ESPN2. If you want a standard broadcast, you can watch that as well on standard ESPN. ESPN has it figured out. They give fans a choice based on what kind of experience they want. TSN meanwhile forces you to suffer through their crap, most of which is bush league at best.

58 minutes ago, Mark F said:

redblack d doesnt seem to have much trouble handling the two time champs offence. their d is good.

 

 

 

 

Typically defences show much stronger at the beginning of the year that offences. All things being equal, I'm sure our offence will be just fine in a couple of weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

At first blush, I’ll say that after 22 years in the CFL he has not shown any high level of success. He makes a living. Not a living legend, imo. I certainly don’t mind if you like the guy. 

need more details than that.

scheme, play calling. stuff like that. 

(kidding of course)

I doubt that benevides cares much what matty thinks. didnt the legend, the don throw all out blitzes in those situations? yeah.

Edited by Mark F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mark F said:

need more details than that.

scheme, play calling. stuff like that. 

(kidding of course)

I doubt that benevides cares much what matty thinks. didnt the legend, the don throw all out blitzes in those situations? yeah.

My initial post was commenting on Benevides as adequate. Ottawa didn’t appear to try too hard to move beyond adequate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...