Jump to content

TSN's Panel & Crew


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

What exactly in your analysis makes this a “stupid” comment? Fundamentally wrong? Too simplistic? Too obvious? Just trying to understand your mindset. 

My Nephew is 12 and is starting to get into watching Bomber games so  these type of obvious comments are perfect for people that aren't well versed in football.   He was asking alot of questions that were really basic and it clicked that the CFL/football has alot of rules/nuances that is hard to pick up and them dumbing it down is great for them.. 

I like the break downs to since it lets you see more of the things i may have missed by grabbing more food..

 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

My Nephew is 12 and is starting to get into watching Bomber games so  these type of obvious comments are perfect for people that aren't well versed in football.   He was asking alot of questions that were really basic and it clicked that the CFL/football has alot of rules/nuances that is hard to pick up and them dumbing it down is great for them.. 

I like the break downs to since it lets you see more of the things i may have missed by grabbing more food..

 

:)

Yeah there's a certain level of basic that every broadcast needs. I dont mind that. What gets on my nerves is when describing a play, he will get things blatantly wrong. Like talking about a guy who has nothing to do with the play as if he made the play. Or describing what happened during a play and it not being the case. There was a frustrating example during the Thursday night game that I can't recall right now. But I started laughing and my wife asked why and I told her it was the announcer being real bad at describing what happened.
Even if he's talking during the replay and the replay proves he's incorrect about whatever, he doesn't correct himself often enough, and just keeps pretending like he is right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah there's a certain level of basic that every broadcast needs. I dont mind that. What gets on my nerves is when describing a play, he will get things blatantly wrong. Like talking about a guy who has nothing to do with the play as if he made the play. Or describing what happened during a play and it not being the case. There was a frustrating example during the Thursday night game that I can't recall right now. But I started laughing and my wife asked why and I told her it was the announcer being real bad at describing what happened.
Even if he's talking during the replay and the replay proves he's incorrect about whatever, he doesn't correct himself often enough, and just keeps pretending like he is right.

Absolutely.

I appreciate some basic play review - but he doesn't do it well.

My basic gripe is gets fixated on a story or comment and wont get off of it. You just have to listen to the same thing over and over.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah there's a certain level of basic that every broadcast needs. I dont mind that. What gets on my nerves is when describing a play, he will get things blatantly wrong. Like talking about a guy who has nothing to do with the play as if he made the play. Or describing what happened during a play and it not being the case. There was a frustrating example during the Thursday night game that I can't recall right now. But I started laughing and my wife asked why and I told her it was the announcer being real bad at describing what happened.
Even if he's talking during the replay and the replay proves he's incorrect about whatever, he doesn't correct himself often enough, and just keeps pretending like he is right.

If he said a player made a play and you think he was not involved, clearly you don't know anything about football or the playbook /s

Lol.. Fair points completely.. I have ADHD (treated) , so i tend to not catch/focus on what they are saying.. Very much like Music.  I can hear a song 50 times in a day and still have no clue what the lyrics are or whats coming..  But i 100% know a song by the melody/rift.    It may be why enjoy watching football on TV vs at the stadium.. ,At the stadium I miss so much and there is no instant replay to really show me or break it down.. I'm likely in a 1% of the viewers though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Absolutely.

I appreciate some basic play review - but he doesn't do it well.

My basic gripe is gets fixated on a story or comment and wont get off of it. You just have to listen to the same thing over and over.

 

For sure.

I recall all the Talk of Nik " The Specimen" Lewis.   Nik Lewis was a **** brick that made some unbelievable plays where other receivers would have been destroyed but man, whenever he was in a game (or out even) he was focused on.

I don't recall the Broadcasting teams really as i said above they are a bit of whitenoise i don't really focus on.. But, I do like listening to Dunigan, It may be his pure excitement that gets me to focus more or he i recall the joy of watching him play when i was alot young.. 

 

I just love the CFL though so anytime a game is one i will gladly watch it.. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There isn’t anyone on the panel or broadcast that I can’t stand (unless Suitor is being a huge homer) but I’d like to see a lineman given a chance on the broadcast. I’d appreciate the added perspective. 

Dustin Nielson has been a nice recentish addition and Rod Smith is my favourite. I wish there were two of him so he could be on the broadcast and host the panel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah there's a certain level of basic that every broadcast needs. I dont mind that. What gets on my nerves is when describing a play, he will get things blatantly wrong. Like talking about a guy who has nothing to do with the play as if he made the play. Or describing what happened during a play and it not being the case. There was a frustrating example during the Thursday night game that I can't recall right now. But I started laughing and my wife asked why and I told her it was the announcer being real bad at describing what happened.
Even if he's talking during the replay and the replay proves he's incorrect about whatever, he doesn't correct himself often enough, and just keeps pretending like he is right.

He repeated how the defender didn’t turn his head (not hips, for a change) to the outside fast enough to break up a TD pass. Trouble is; the pass was caught on the inside of the defender. Mentioned it at least twice and once while the replay was being aired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022-06-14 at 11:56 AM, rebusrankin said:

 Fawning over a singer during the third quarter of a Grey Cup game is anotDher.

Do you think it was Suitor's call to have the new zealand country dude in the booth for ten minutes during the third quarter?  I suspect he was making the best of a boneheaded decision by his superiors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CFL on TSN hot takes:

There were a lot of dire games in 2021 with zero scoring, bad offence, lots of mistakes, just awful football, and I really appreciate and respect how the panel didn't sugarcoat those bad games.  I remember this one tripleheader of really shitty games and by the end the panel was punchy and resentful, just like I was.

Rod Smith / Dunigan is the best combo in the booth.  Dunigan is a superb color man and he and Smith have a good rhythm where they're both talking at the right times. Smith does a great job of leaving room for Dunigan's crazy uncle outbursts.

Dustin Neilson is so much better than Rod Black that it's hard to know how good he actually is because he's still got that Not Rod Black halo on.

Occasionally Suitor will show me something interesting, usually when he's breaking down a play or a coverage pre-snap.  I don't pay much attention to him otherwise.

When Milt makes a point I'm never sure if it's because he sincerely believes it or because he's playing a character who issues spicy hot takes like an internet rando.

Kate Beirness is a decent host and I don't mind her vibe at all.  she's not super funny but neither are 99% of the other people on TV.

The panel is worth watching for the outfits. Whoever is dressing those guys is killing it. My wife and I have been scoring it for awhile now and Milt is slightly ahead of Matty, but Milt is also built like a model and you can dress him in ways you can't dress the others, so he's got a little bit of an advantage there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Do you think it was Suitor's call to have the new zealand country dude in the booth for ten minutes during the third quarter?  I suspect he was making the best of a boneheaded decision by his superiors.

Reminder that the ratings went up at halftime in the Grey Cup when Keith Urban performed (by about 400,000 eyeballs). It certainly was the only time all the wives at my Cup party came into the den from the kitchen and were glued to the TV (they also returned for the interview and told the men to shush). When Beiber and Carly Rae Jepson performed at the extremely reviled half time show in Toronto for Grey Cup 100, ratings jumped 600,000 people. This was totally a management decision in my mind. Suitor has his faults, and if you want to find confirmation bias to support him or tear him apart, lots of his statements can be spun to the interpretation that suits your mindset. But I don’t think he’s stupid. He and TSN are playing to an audience to get ratings and draw in more fans, so giving the diehards on fan sites the elevated commentary we expect is probably not their goal. We are watching no matter what. It’s the younger, newbie, and less knowledgeable fans they want to bring in, so the commentary gets simplified, the rock ‘n’ roll eye candy gets spotlighted, and pumping up success stories about fan bases and what a great time a CFL game is (see the focus on the BC crowd, concert, pre-game tailgating, and Rourke’s cool grandma pounding back beers) is the agenda they want to sell. JMO. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smith and Dunigan are professionals, period. I really miss Gord Miller doing CFL games...I honestly feel like he's better at football than hockey. Or, at least, I prefer him on a football broadcast. Miller and Dunigan was an incredible combination. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Reminder that the ratings went up at halftime in the Grey Cup when Keith Urban performed (by about 400,000 eyeballs). It certainly was the only time all the wives at my Cup party came into the den from the kitchen and were glued to the TV (they also returned for the interview and told the men to shush). When Beiber and Carly Rae Jepson performed at the extremely reviled half time show in Toronto for Grey Cup 100, ratings jumped 600,000 people. This was totally a management decision in my mind. Suitor has his faults, and if you want to find confirmation bias to support him or tear him apart, lots of his statements can be spun to the interpretation that suits your mindset. But I don’t think he’s stupid. He and TSN are playing to an audience to get ratings and draw in more fans, so giving the diehards on fan sites the elevated commentary we expect is probably not their goal. We are watching no matter what. It’s the younger, newbie, and less knowledgeable fans they want to bring in, so the commentary gets simplified, the rock ‘n’ roll eye candy gets spotlighted, and pumping up success stories about fan bases and what a great time a CFL game is (see the focus on the BC crowd, concert, pre-game tailgating, and Rourke’s cool grandma pounding back beers) is the agenda they want to sell. JMO. 

Certainly rational and possible. Maybe even correct! If it’s TSN holding back and making Suitor seem stupid, the same effect, direction, could be said about Milt when he doesn’t criticize Lawrence for psychotic plays. Yet, the impact of stifling these two analysts and not letting them rip, appears to make them less than what we suspect they can be. When a fan or posters here get to spend private time, in person, with a star, stories are shared, meaningful insight is provided that are indelible. Imagine an initiative that Suitor or Milt or Matt shares whatever they like, even for one game. How memorable and entertaining could that broadcast be with the stars right in our own living rooms?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I'm not saying this has anything to do with anything, but just pointing it out for conversation's sake..........Glen Suitor won a Gemini (Canada's version of an Emmy) for his work as a CFL on TSN anaylyst. 

Only once? Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

Only once? Lol

It might actually be more, but there's one that I know of.....meaning he beat out Analysts from hockey broadcasts and other sports. I'm not saying awards mean anything at all, but it's an interesting conversation point that industry professionals deemed him the best in Canada at one point...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It might actually be more, but there's one that I know of.....meaning he beat out Analysts from hockey broadcasts and other sports. I'm not saying awards mean anything at all, but it's an interesting conversation point that industry professionals deemed him the best in Canada at one point...

I’m sure it means a lot to him. Who wouldn’t like being recognized for what they do as being meaningful work. All most of us can provide is a fans perspective. 

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It might actually be more, but there's one that I know of.....meaning he beat out Analysts from hockey broadcasts and other sports. I'm not saying awards mean anything at all, but it's an interesting conversation point that industry professionals deemed him the best in Canada at one point...

How many of those people who vote are from Saskatchewan? 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It might actually be more, but there's one that I know of.....meaning he beat out Analysts from hockey broadcasts and other sports. I'm not saying awards mean anything at all, but it's an interesting conversation point that industry professionals deemed him the best in Canada at one point...

Google says two wins and seven total nominations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022-06-15 at 1:43 PM, Adrenaline_x said:

At the stadium I miss so much and there is no instant replay to really show me or break it down.. I'm likely in a 1% of the viewers though.

Given the propensity for people to surf the web on their phones while doing anything and everything else I don't think you're the only one missing things. Your reason for why may make up a small % but I suspect you are far from alone...even (especially) among those watching on tv.

Edited by Deiter Fan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I think Don Messer won one too, so take it for what it’s worth. 

Dad used to make me watch the Jubilee when I was a wee lad. Well...he didn't actually make me...but if I wanted to watch tv when he was on that was what I was watching when we only had one tv and 3 channels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...