Pre-Season Game 1 - L(k)'s at Blue Bombers (maybe, maybe not, we'll see)

JCon

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well here's what I remembered tonight... I ******* HATE losing. Let's what the piss outta the 3 Stripes on Tuesday and get this taste out our mouths.... 

You must be pissed off you took one of their stripes away😁, do we have some concerns, sure but all teams do and it will get straightened out.

7 minutes ago, bustamente said:

You must be pissed off you took one of their stripes away😁, do we have some concerns, sure but all teams do and it will get straightened out.

You and I both know one of those didn't count.... 

A select few observations from someone who had a couple too many pops tonight....

Really liked, for the most part what I saw from Dru Brown. I think there's a couple of times where he left the pocket too soon - which he confessed to in the post game on OB, but still a good showing.

Prukop...yikes. Underthrown balls on both picks. Decent mobility but no real rhythm with him under centre. 

I know Oliveria is the local kid, but Johnny Agustine needs to start week 1.

Schoen reminds me of Jamie Stoddard even if he is American. Catch the ball, turn upfield, no BS. Just gets the yards.

Ford seemed to have a rough time at corner. Maybe it was vanilla defensive calls, but a tough first game. Oh well.

Didn't catch the numbers or names, but there was definitely a few "oh he's cut" moments, whether it was the special teams fumble, or losing contain on the QB or missed tackles. 

Like some have said, it was different not hearing Bob, but DT had some good bits I enjoyed and look forward to the calls for the rest of the year.

Overall, fun to be back at the park on a beauty of a Friday night. Pre and post game tailgating, burgers, hot dogs, and hopefully the start of another championship run.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Well here's what I remembered tonight... I ******* HATE losing. Let's what the piss outta the 3 Stripes on Tuesday and get this taste out our mouths.... 

Pre season is to finalize the roster & get the team ready for the regular season. Letting rookies try to distinguish themselves. Losing these games mean nothing. In the late 1960's & early 70's when I was just becoming a longtime fan & knew diddly squat about football, all teams used to play 4 pre season games., You know how many times the Bombers went 3-1, 2-2 or even 4-0 getting fans all riled up & excited about the season ahead only to go 4-12 or 2-14??  Too many times.

Fans like me would get sucked in by the pre season success & then wonder why the bottom fell out of the Bombers during a prolonged losng streak during the regular season. Winning pre season games doesn't equate into winning regular season games. Do the coaches want to win? Sure but winning isn't Job #1. Evaluating players is. As well as getting out of these games healthy. I guarantee you Mike O'Shea is sleeping soundly tonight if they did that. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Some obvious cuts for sure but I will say, I was impressed with what I saw from Dru Brown, a few of the receivers, Jordan Berner, Malik Clements, Will Evans and I also noticed Patrice Rene looks MASSIVE out there on the corner and I don’t think his man got targeted once.

Jordan Berner just looks the part of a DE in the CFL 

I hope we can get the kicking game straightened out quickly......How many times do we have to hear that before the team 'gets it'.....From reports in the offseason Mourtada was supposed to have picked up his game.....IF we see a weak kicking effort on Tues. against the riders...the 'uh oh' crowd is going to get louder....Too important a part of the game to go with 'near do wells'

Prokup looked good until he threw the ball. He looked confident under centre stepped back, moved around to create time then just completely missed open targets. 

But, he was our holder. Does that mean he's our QB3? 

The view from my seats:

QB- Brown moved the ball and executed his sneaks well, found some receivers in coverage. Good job but low expectations going in. Prokop’s passes looked nice in flight (tight spiral, strong throws on a rope) until you saw them sail past or two feet wide of the receivers or land at their feet. Accuracy off more than a few times, tried to force the deep ball a couple of times, once off his back foot, which led to under thrown INTs. His scrambling on the TD run looked good, Streveler-esque, but his decision-making in the pocket left something to be desired.

RBs - Augustine was the best Bomber on the field last at night and he should be our starter no question. Explosive, hits those holes quickly and decisively. Oliviera didn’t show anything special to me but he’ll be around. Borsa was the same as Brady, did not jump off the page.  

REC - Like others said, Jackson and Scheon were good, Demski is going to be a big feature of the offence this year. 

OL/DL - wasn’t really focussed on the lines too much, so I won’t speculate 

LB - Clements had some nice hits, but the Elks running backs and QB Tre Ford exposed the holes in the defence a bit 

DBs - Nick Hallett had a couple of nice tackles, Maruo had a really nice stick at one point, and safety Malcolm Thompson had a beautifully timed safety blitz to blow up a running play and provide the crunch of the game, one of two big hits I noticed from him. Maybe the most notable of the defence who did not really wow overall (but so many personnel changes hard for one guy to pile up the stats and stand out). 

Kicking - Mourtada can still pound those kickoffs which will be more important with the ball being moved back 5 yards. I don’t really worry about his punting stats because he was experimenting with that kooky Medlock Aussie rules style end over ender kick rather than trying for a spiral, but he wasn’t really that good at it and will not be kept around for his punting anyway. No field goals so the only way to judge the placekicking is the converts and he made one no problem but rang his only other attempt off the upright. Mourta-DOH! indeed. Liegghio’s kickoffs not as deep and no great hang time. I’ve seen him punt better than he did last night too. He made his convert so there is that but he didn’t really pound it through the end zone there. Mourtada has a distinct edge in leg strength but these placekicking jobs are won on accuracy, and he is still not winning people over there. Maybe the Aussie can step up. The Elks kickers were more noticeable across the board, with Hutchins especially skying punts. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Prokup looked good until he threw the ball. He looked confident under centre stepped back, moved around to create time then just completely missed open targets. 

But, he was our holder. Does that mean he's our QB3? 

I can't imagine they keep both "veteran" guys, right? Like it's an either/or with Brown/Prukop, you have to imagine....and then a totally new "project" at QB3.....right? 

re: the RBs... I think you're going to see both Oliveira and Augustine "start" and run as a tandem. I don't know how often they'd be on the field together, but I think you'll see them rotate in and out for each other a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Did I miss something? Are we back to rostering 3 qbs this year?

no, but one on the PR as a project. Essentially, one of Brown/Prukop takes the McGuire role this year, and then one of the new guys (Mancuso?) takes the Brown role from last year...