2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

16 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Calvin McCarty is playing and  few years older than Harris.

William Powell is a year younger and isn't retiring from anything I have seen.

They may both retire this year, but that is likely due to lack of interest from teams vs lack of want to play. 

Harris played great and missed half the year. I think he still wants to play. How many touches he gets may change.

Powell should tbh. 

Harris will want to come back. It's gonna be that real hard talk for him his family and the Dr. Considering If his body will hold up another year and if he's willing to risk another year like this was or worse physically. 

I hope he's back and able to play. I think its a good chance he will atleast try to play the year. But If he retired I wouldn't blame him in the least. 

Harris injuries tho were just **** happens in football injuries..nothing from age and body breakdown...if he wants to play he will and most likely plays a full year injury free save for the usual knocks and bumps..he has been injury free basically his whole career..he was due for some..

Jeffcoat...NFL talk on boards is just that..slim and none..he had his NFL window already..and he actually older than Willie...he is cfl lifer now..and he isn't coming off rookie deal...it's his 3rd contract so his increase isn't exponential..plus he wants to stay here..and will stay here with a fair offer

Resigning our guys we want won't be an issue...as we..as well as other teams made this dance already..but I can bet u that this yr u will see many 2 yr..possible 3 yr deals signed..already have.

I also can see all 3 NI running backs here as well...

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Step away from the ledge everyone. I believe Hodge's CFL insider on this quote is Rod Pederson, who has shared this opinion multiple times on his podcast. If it is a Rod says it is 100% just his own speculation.

It would not surprise me if the majority of the “insider” quotes are just lifted from fan sites like this one and repackaged by the 3Down staff. I have seen this sentiment about Harris being replaced by Oliveira and Augustine here and elsewhere , and most of the “hot takes” are just random opinions rather than actual news. 

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Assuming the SMS stays the same, and I think that's a pretty good assumption, where do we get enough money to sign everyone, when a lot of them deserve a raise?

Good question. Obviously we need to start with signing the guys that have been key to our success.  Collaros, our offensive line, our defensive line. Walters will be really busy trying to work out contracts to keep us from overspending. Some may have to take discounts. I'd imagine we will lose an offensive lineman and a defensive lineman. As much as it pains me to say it, we may have to lose one of the big 3 on our defensive line as it is much more difficult to substitute Canadians.

Bighill will be an interesting signing as he took a massive paycut and then became DPOTY. So we will need to find some money for him. Would Willie do the same this year? Jeffcoat probably doesn't make as much as he should be making.

Someone else that may need to take a paycut is Andrew Harris. Great player. Has been everything to this team to get us back to our Grey Cup winning ways. But he was hurt most of the year and we have Oliveira and Augustine that have shown they can carry the mail.

It will be really interesting and will require some surgical precision to get most of the team back. You have to imagine that this team has three-peat in the back of their mind which will help a lot. Good luck Walters.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Cost is always a factor. Harris is the highest paid RB in the CFL. He's always been worth the money, until this year. We've got his replacements under contract for way less money and we may lose them if we don't play them. I could see us making a lower offer than Harris wants and him retiring instead of taking it.

He's probably the highest paid runningback.  But he's cheap for a most outstanding Canadian calibre player.  I think there's a reasonable chance we did not get past Saskatchewan without Harris given how the rest of the team played.  

How much more do Bryant, Hardrick, Neufeld, Couture make on the OL as they are all past rookie deals and likely needing only minimal raises? Stove seems like the guy on the DL due a raise but Jeffcoat and Jefferson both likely only need raises but not huge raises. On the flipside, how much would a team have to overpay to lure one of our key guys? I assume a lot.

30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Assuming the SMS stays the same, and I think that's a pretty good assumption, where do we get enough money to sign everyone, when a lot of them deserve a raise?

We won't be able to bring everyone back.  I'm gonna assume we lose a few players to the NFL and a few to other CFL teams because we will have to let some players walk who are due big raises. But i think the core of this team remains intact.   I trust Walter and his crew to be able to bring in replacements.  Potentially Nuefeld will have to move on to cut some costs for this season. If Eli gets vaccinated he would take the position and if not Geoff Gray. If we lost Jeffcoat we would still have a very formidable defensive line.  It would mean more of Kongbo and more of Richardson and Sayles at the same time. I think Lawler gets his NFL shot now unless he is dogged by his DUI. Alford is gone but no cost savings there. 

At the end of the day...  If you subtract Lawyler, Alford, Jeffcoat, Bighill, Neuefeld, and Adams i believe that with new recruits Winnipeg still has the most talented team in the league. And those losses would be more than enough to re-sign Zach and a few vet free-agents who want to be here. 

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

How much more do Bryant, Hardrick, Neufeld, Couture make on the OL as they are all past rookie deals and likely needing only minimal raises? Stove seems like the guy on the DL due a raise but Jeffcoat and Jefferson both likely only need raises but not huge raises. On the flipside, how much would a team have to overpay to lure one of our key guys? I assume a lot.

The biggest issue to overcome will be that Zach and Bighill will get big raises. I think the offensive linemen you mentioned are already being well paid. Bryant though is a retirement risk. But he if retires i would think it would be awfully tempting for any free agent tackle to want to come to Winnipeg and be the blindside tackle.  If they are good at what they do its a recipe for winning the most outstanding lineman award.

I hope ba is back. I think he's the biggest wild card. I think biggie is a winnipeger for life now. Hands down the best s in the league and not in the top 5 for pay. 

It's hard to imagine any of these guys wanting to leave. These guys are gonna be in a tough spot making decisions in the off season. Just as much as the front office.  

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm pretty sure Bighill will be more then happy to continue to receive his hometown discount. I would assume he's making some decent cash in his off season job in town.  

I wouldn't be so sure.  He recently said that he can pursue his other career anywhere, it's just easier to stay.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Cost is always a factor. Harris is the highest paid RB in the CFL. He's always been worth the money, until this year. We've got his replacements under contract for way less money and we may lose them if we don't play them. I could see us making a lower offer than Harris wants and him retiring instead of taking it.

"Until this year". 

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It would not surprise me if the majority of the “insider” quotes are just lifted from fan sites like this one and repackaged by the 3Down staff. I have seen this sentiment about Harris being replaced by Oliveira and Augustine here and elsewhere , and most of the “hot takes” are just random opinions rather than actual news. 

It's 3DN click bait. 

Desjarlais and Stove will require probably the more substantial bumps.

Hardick..Neuf..BRyant can conceivably take same pay..they at top teir now..possibly Yoshi a slight bump..but if offered a fair deal..with prospect of playoof cash..they not leaving

Also not sure why people think jeffcoat is making peanuts...he's not...not sure where that story developed.

If any of the dlineman might be a risk to leave cause we can't offer enough to  bridge with possible playooff money it's Kongbo...but I also think it needs to be b.c to lure him..and even then I coukd see him staying for 15 to 20k less here

28 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Thats unfortunate if they aren't insiders. I go out of my way to read that article every week

Justin Dunk covers the league but I believe John Hodge is a teacher. He's a fan first. No one will confide in him if they're a coach or GM. It would be like you & I calling Kyle Walters & asking his opinions. He'd hang up. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Desjarlais and Stove will require probably the more substantial bumps.

Hardick..Neuf..BRyant can conceivably take same pay..they at top teir now..possibly Yoshi a slight bump..but if offered a fair deal..with prospect of playoof cash..they not leaving

Also not sure why people think jeffcoat is making peanuts...he's not...not sure where that story developed.

If any of the dlineman might be a risk to leave cause we can't offer enough to  bridge with possible playooff money it's Kongbo...but I also think it needs to be b.c to lure him..and even then I coukd see him staying for 15 to 20k less here

I am more concerned about Kongbo. He wants to get reps as much as money. He will likely go somewhere where he can get a chance to start.

29 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am more concerned about Kongbo. He wants to get reps as much as money. He will likely go somewhere where he can get a chance to start.

Thing tho with rotations now...not just with us is dlines get heavy rotation...he prob gets equal or close to equal with the "starters" here

And to be a full starter a team would need a capabke Canadian sub...so rep wise he gets quite a bit here..and not just off the edge...he's in a good spot...but...again...who knows what will occur

I don't know about the rest but after everything he's done/been through, there is absolutely no way Wade Miller lets Andrew Harris ever wear another uniform ever again. He will be a Bomber for the rest of his career, however long that is. 

Edited by Noeller