2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

20 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Ian Book is probably starting for the Saints on Monday night, I believe he is on the Bombers neg  list, looks both Hill and Simien are going  on the Covid list so if he stays off the list then he starts

^^ as per John Hodge....

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

How did you miss the pages of discussion on this?? 

They private bussed up from Ham to Toronto, so he was able to travel with the team. 

Idk I mean I was crazy busy week of and didn't really read hammersmell news. Pretty crazy. 

Honestly it makes me happier Hamilton is on a gc drought. Screw them and double Screw tsn for pushing them soo hard

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Brutal that we went a whole season without any positive COVID tests, but then we go into that shithole out east and come home with some.....****. 

It's stated that members of the organization tested positive after the GC. I haven't seen anything that explicitly mentions players.

This could very well be anybody in the front office all the way to sales staff in the Bomber store.

Not that any of this matters, because a positive diagnosis is a serious thing regardless of who contracts it.

"The CFL player with the most NFL workouts this off-season is (Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ defensive back) DeAundre Alford. He doesn’t have as many as Tre Roberson had a few years ago but it’s relatively close."

"This is just my opinion, but I don’t think Winnipeg will pay Andrew Harris next year. There’s no need to. (Canadian running backs Brady) Oliveira and (Johnny) Augustine are perfectly capable of carrying the load there." 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

"I don't think they will pay Andrew Harris next year" meaning what?

Doesn't sound like he is retiring and he isn't leaving. 

They will definitely offer him a reasonable contract.

I think Harris will be happy to take a home town discount. From the first time his health was an issue. If he wants to play next year and incentive laden deal makes sense. 

The must retains for me are collaros cus duh.

Then Lawler because we've been trying to sign a fa elite wr and develop one for forever. Now that we have one we gotta keep him if he stays in the cfl. 

Ba and biggie. These two make our defense work.  They allow our dbs and pass rushers soo much freedom and support its un matchable. 

And 3 guys I think could be big fa gets for us. 

Lucky. If we brought him back with out losing Bailey Lawler or demski we'd have a monster passing game. 

Jagared Davis. Crazy I know. But less crazy than willy coming from sask. If Jeffcoat gets too much money or an NFL deal Davis who is also close to Jefferson would be a tremendous fit. Hard to see us hand that big contract to a fa de though. 

Derrick Moncrief. We went hard after him mid season. Especially if we lost some one like Darby he'd fit great here. Like Davis we don't really need to open up the wallet for a db but finding that bigger new style Sam who can play like a Will is hard too. 

49 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think we lose Augustine but agree with @Mark H. that Harris takes a cut.

I don't. Who else has the depth to start an ni rb but a back that wouldn't take a starting spot over him. If we do lose 1 rb adding borsa and having another draft gives us plenty of opportunity. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

How about Hamilton with Sean Thomas Erlington in a tandem?

He isn't much more than a blocking back systems guy. And they finally have a real feature back. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Who would sign Augustine? I was told on here that the guy only gets 2 yards per carry :)

Math is hard. And so is facts. 

Right now Brady and augustine are as good as it gets for ni rbs out side of Harris. Neither one is ready for a Harris work load or role. 

If you want to go ni at rb you need 2 guys. Both Brady and Augustine have waited for a chance to be rb1. No other team has an ol worth a damn a possible rb1 spot and a good amount of touches per game. And I don't think any one will dig deep to pay either more than the Bombers with out that necessary support structure that creates success. 

The argos tried to corner the market on rbs last year. The Bombers have done it with ni rbs. 

Calvin McCarty is playing and  few years older than Harris.

William Powell is a year younger and isn't retiring from anything I have seen.

They may both retire this year, but that is likely due to lack of interest from teams vs lack of want to play. 

Harris played great and missed half the year. I think he still wants to play. How many touches he gets may change.

20 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

People always want to retire guys with their own feelings. 

He has said he feels great and wants to keep playing. 

He wants to win another Grey Cup I am sure.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/harris-at-peace-with-fate-575893102.html
This tells me he’s considering it.  Maybe he’s made some comments post GC but I didn’t see anything saying he wants to keep playing and is feeling great (unless I missed it).

48 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/harris-at-peace-with-fate-575893102.html
This tells me he’s considering it.  Maybe he’s made some comments post GC but I didn’t see anything saying he wants to keep playing and is feeling great (unless I missed it).

I am sure he is considering it, but nothing about his play indicates he has lost the fire. 

I am not singling you out here either,  I just think people in general want to tell guys they've had enough.

I know he mentions that in the article you cite, and fair enough.

I would just bet he has been having that convo with himself for 5 years or so. 

Edited by Geebrr

11 hours ago, Geebrr said:

"I don't think they will pay Andrew Harris next year" meaning what?

Doesn't sound like he is retiring and he isn't leaving. 

They will definitely offer him a reasonable contract.

Step away from the ledge everyone. I believe Hodge's CFL insider on this quote is Rod Pederson, who has shared this opinion multiple times on his podcast. If it is a Rod says it is 100% just his own speculation.

I think he's going to come back and play perhaps one more season. He's close to 10k yards rushing which would be a real nice milestone.  He has a chance to compete for another Grey Cup. And I think one more year of learning and getting a few carries here and there would help Oliveria. And i think Harris would factor all of this in. 

On 2021-12-26 at 12:34 AM, Noeller said:

"The CFL player with the most NFL workouts this off-season is (Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ defensive back) DeAundre Alford. He doesn’t have as many as Tre Roberson had a few years ago but it’s relatively close."

"This is just my opinion, but I don’t think Winnipeg will pay Andrew Harris next year. There’s no need to. (Canadian running backs Brady) Oliveira and (Johnny) Augustine are perfectly capable of carrying the load there." 

They already get Harris at a hometown discount. I don't think cost will be a factor. They can trim the fat elsewhere if need be.

Cost is always a factor. Harris is the highest paid RB in the CFL. He's always been worth the money, until this year. We've got his replacements under contract for way less money and we may lose them if we don't play them. I could see us making a lower offer than Harris wants and him retiring instead of taking it.