GDT - Week 10 - Elks @ The Champs

JCon

Anyone who says the Swaggerville team was their favourite, wasn't around for the 12 In A Row 2001. Now THAT was a lot of fun, and more similar to an Osh team. Papa Dave didn't let anyone get too fat and sassy. Maybe because I was 21, but hooooeeeeeeee did we have a lot of fun watching games that year... 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

They're just trash. 

EDIT: Adding for clarity, the poster is just trash. Not all of RF or Saskatchewan. I have family in Saskatchewan - they're trash but their neighbours aren't. 

My dad was born in Saskatchewan (I'm born here and have **** out that green **** eons ago) and absolutely there's good people there too,that POS represents himself and id like to hope that someone maybe slapped some sense into that clown.

1 minute ago, Nolby said:

My dad was born in Saskatchewan (I'm born here and have **** out that green **** eons ago) and absolutely there's good people there too,that POS represents himself and id like to hope that someone maybe slapped some sense into that clown.

It seems like because he doesn't like it. It's a fail at honouring other people....??

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

I've got really good friends in Regina that are Rider fans, but they are the rare? classy bunch.  Watched more than a few LDC's with them and they were very good about some of those Rider wins.

My experience at Rider games has been first class. A few mouthy fans but who doesn't? 

Anyways, Elks are here. Let's send them packing like we sent those Oilers packing. 

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Anyone who says the Swaggerville team was their favourite, wasn't around for the 12 In A Row 2001. Now THAT was a lot of fun, and more similar to an Osh team. Papa Dave didn't let anyone get too fat and sassy. Maybe because I was 21, but hooooeeeeeeee did we have a lot of fun watching games that year... 

The team got fat and sassy over the course of those 12 wins though. Charlie Roberts felt underused and disrespected and staged a distracting walkout. Ritchie did not know how to keep the team’s focus and rested starters down the stretch which led to complacency. They flat out disrespected Calgary by going with a scrub team in game 18 and Calgary needed that game just to get into the playoffs. And Calgary used that new life to  carry a chip on their shoulders saying “you should have killed us when you had the chance, you thought we were no threat, now you are going to pay for your mistake”. Then a flat East Final performance that they did not react too seriously enough, and players measuring their ring sizes all week in Montreal in front of fans, media, and opposing players before the game. We all saw the outcome.

In 1984 that team had serious challengers.  BC were also a powerhouse. Edmonton was fading but still had leftover weapons from their 5 time Cup champions and Dunigan slinging it at QB. Toronto was the East favourite and also strong. This team would do well to treat the Riders, Lions, and Tiger Cats as threats who can up their game at any time. They know Toronto can beat them, and Montreal has given us fits at times. Be humble, be focussed, tune out all the noise, good and bad, and let the play on the field do the talking. O’Shea, Walters, and Miller have done a solid job of instilling that from the top down. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The team got fat and sassy over the course of those 12 wins though. Charlie Roberts felt underused and disrespected and staged a distracting walkout. Ritchie did not know how to keep the team’s focus and rested starters down the stretch which led to complacency. They flat out disrespected Calgary by going with a scrub team in game 18 and Calgary needed that game just to get into the playoffs. And Calgary used that new life to  carry a chip on their shoulders saying “you should have killed us when you had the chance, you thought we were no threat, now you are going to pay for your mistake”. Then a flat East Final performance that they did not react too seriously enough, and players measuring their ring sizes all week in Montreal in front of fans, media, and opposing players before the game. We all saw the outcome.

In 1984 that team had serious challengers.  BC were also a powerhouse. Edmonton was fading but still had leftover weapons from their 5 time Cup champions and Dunigan slinging it at QB. Toronto was the East favourite and also strong. This team would do well to treat the Riders, Lions, and Tiger Cats as threats who can up their game at any time. They know Toronto can beat them, and Montreal has given us fits at times. Be humble, be focussed, tune out all the noise, good and bad, and let the play on the field do the talking. O’Shea, Walters, and Miller have done a solid job of instilling that from the top down. 

I believe the Bombers went 14-4 in 2001,that may be one of the biggest upsets in grey Cup history

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

4 hours ago, Nolby said:

4 Elks players literally tried picking up my girlfriend when she came out of her office downtown yesterday. Maybe this will be an entire distraction and theyll be off their game now today....GO BLUE!!!!!

Hey at least they have good taste! LOL...was one of them Brock Sunderland?

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I don't know how you can make that point at all. That's absolutely what happened.

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I think instead of putting McKnight in for Lawler, they should just dress one less player on offense, just to make the game fair for the Elks.

Should probably spot them 10 points too.

Reading this had me thinking of these guys:

GettyImages-141247077.jpg

Michael O'Shea vs a Hurricane - who would win??  "O'Shea, yeah O'Shea".  But....the name of the Hurricane is "Hurricane Michael O'Shea".....ok hmmm...."O'Shea".

Going with only 11 players on offense is start, but in order to keep the Elks within 100 points of the Bombers, perhaps Mr. Collaros should play the entire game in a lazy boy recliner....da Bombers!

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Anybody paying attention knew that the Offense wasn't good enough and/or the offensive strategy was poor and it was going to catch up to them at some point.

Totally, but that first half of the year was amazing. The D (again, for those first 8 games) was the most exciting defence I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Until the summer ended on LDC. 

I don't mind the players having some attitude, they have a chance to back it up; however, the organization took out an ad (a billboard) mocking the 1-7 Riders. Not so classy. I don't mind the fans ribbing the opponents but the team shouldn't be trashing one another. Twitter jokes are fine, IMO. 

Totally disagree. Funniest banter of the rivalry (And both teams take out billboards every year, don't they? Long standing).

Q: Did anyone do the tailgating at the Plaza at the Banjo Bowl? My son has asked to go tonight but I am not sure if they've brought back the activities for the kids, like the bouncy castle, etc. 

I might have to ask the Bombers directly. 

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

Q: Did anyone do the tailgating at the Plaza at the Banjo Bowl? My son has asked to go tonight but I am not sure if they've brought back the activities for the kids, like the bouncy castle, etc. 

I might have to ask the Bombers directly. 

I can assure you that they won't let me back in the bouncy castles at 37 years old again,apparently kid at heart isn't good enough

12 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I can assure you that they won't let me back in the bouncy castles at 37 years old again,apparently kid at heart isn't good enough

Go for it and be overly competitive. Challenge a seven year to a bounce off. Security will laugh and laugh.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

They just said you needed pants on. That rule applies to kids and adults. 

Define ‘pants’?