CFL Week 2 Games (Non-Bombers) Thread

johnzo

I didn’t even know this game was on tonight. Caught the last 4 minutes and saw:

Calgary waste a minute of clock just to move a field goal up 6 yards with a 9 point deficit 

BC force Calgary to burn their timeout and with a 2nd and 3 within field goal range, then call a pass play instead of running the ball to keep the clock moving where a first down could have run out the clock

a Calgary returner decide to bring a missed field goal out to the one foot line instead of conceding a point on a one score game

The refs miss a push-off on an INT that should have been interference 

BC gamble on 3rd and 7 instead of trying another field goal (not too surprising given their kicker) or punting down to the Stampeder 5 yard line or so

BLM throw 3 swing passes when they needed to drive the field quickly

BC defenders batting the Hail Mary up in the air instead of to the ground 

If the rest of the game was as poorly executed as the last 4 minutes, I’m thankful I forgot it was on. Judging by the score, I am guessing it was. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The refs miss a push-off on an INT that should have been interference

If the rest of the game was as poorly executed as the last 4 minutes, I’m thankful I forgot it was on. Judging by the score, I am guessing it was. 

That push-off was on a turnover, so both the onfield and replay officials missed it, but Dickenson didn't have his timeout, so he couldn't even appeal their miss.

Mike Reilly came out slinging the ball like it was 2015. He had a monster 61-yard throw from one hashmark to the other and his receivers caught everything marginal he threw, so yeah, you missed some stuff.  And watching BLM play like TJR was entertainment of a sort.

Game definitely lacked some polish, tho.

Edited by johnzo

I always felt that way about Lucky too… I remember constantly saying to my buddies, if our OC is such an offensive genius, why can’t he figure out a way to exploit defenses with a package that includes lucky and Grant… pure speed to overwhelm the defence…

anyways, based on actual production, not a huge loss… but I can’t help but feel there was a lot of potential production missed… 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I always felt that way about Lucky too… I remember constantly saying to my buddies, if our OC is such an offensive genius, why can’t he figure out a way to exploit defenses with a package that includes lucky and Grant… pure speed to overwhelm the defence…

anyways, based on actual production, not a huge loss… but I can’t help but feel there was a lot of potential production missed… 

Because he's too concerned about playing it safe and not making a lot turn overs. 

I agree. I think a lot of the issue with Lucky, was Lapo trying to use him out of the backfield on screens and little dumps. 
Teams keyed in on that after the first Edmonton game last year, not to mention we used our RBs in a similar manner in the passing game. D’s could just rush 3 or 4, sit back and come down on that short stuff. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

hated to lose Lucky to be honest...huge team player...mis and under used here...hope he does well...deserves it

can't help but wonder what Whitehead would look like here this year with a QB who can get the ball downfield.  I kinda felt like Lucky gave up on routes in 2019 because he knew he wasn't getting the ball, and it came across as making him look lazy & uninspired.   Good to see him having some early success as a Lion!

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It won us a Grey Cup, did it not?

Yes it did.

Just saying some receivers will not like that kind of conservative play calling because they wont hit some of their incentives/bonuses or they wont have the stats/film to get back to the NFL. 

Yeh Whitehead looked like he had the potential to be a star in Winnipeg - Even on the bench the guy showed himself to be an excellent teammate being happy for the success of the team and his teammates (cheering from the bench)...

IMO he's also showing that he worked on his route running since our Grey Cup run... he's doing little things to get separation that aren't just about speed that he didn't do in 2019.