TSN1290 - Shutting Down

JCon

Good riddance really. Gonna be honest... Didn't care 1 bit about 1290 and still don't. The guys they had on air outside of maybe Hustler but even he could get annoying with the gambling stuff were not interesting or compelling. 

Ppl want Jets talk? Well you didnt really get that on 1290 anyways. What you had was several almost paid shills who would constantly tow the company line. 

Haven't listened to a post game show in years.. bombers or Jets.. usually off after the coach had a chance to speak. 

**** Bell tho. 

40 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Good riddance really. Gonna be honest... Didn't care 1 bit about 1290 and still don't. The guys they had on air outside of maybe Hustler but even he could get annoying with the gambling stuff were not interesting or compelling. 

Ppl want Jets talk? Well you didnt really get that on 1290 anyways. What you had was several almost paid shills who would constantly tow the company line. 

Haven't listened to a post game show in years.. bombers or Jets.. usually off after the coach had a chance to speak. 

**** Bell tho. 

**** Bell. 

Outside Hustler, I found the on-air personalities horrible.  They can't interview, they seemed over their heads talking about hockey and football. Hustler is a great interviewer and is likeable. 

Everyone does the gambling stuff now that the leagues allow it but I wish it didn't interfere so much with the chat. It drives listeners though. And, it introduces different statistics and different ways to examine the games. 

I usually liked the guests that they brought on to contribute. Mirtle and what's his name from Ottawa were awful but I like Jason Cole and like Gus Katsaros. There are more but it's been a while since I listened. I actually look for Jason Cole stuff from outside because I like his insight. 

Still will never forget the time that Darren Bauming, filling in for Jim, got his guests confused and was asking Jason Cole some hockey related questions. Cole was like, well I came on to talk football, so I really can't say. And then, at the end of the interview, he said, I'll study up on hockey for the next time. I don't remember Westwood or Brandon saving him. 

I'll say this... The 1290 bombers post game show was good. I guess because they didn't Own the rights they could be a little less homer and more balanced. But for the most part the on air personalities.. well outside of hustler and some random guests.. didn't really exist. They lost tons of money. 

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What i liked about 1290 was i could listen to the shows on my podcast app if i needed to. The post game show was my go to when hitting the hay.

Have not heard CJOB at all I think when it comes to the Jets. Do they even have a post-game call in? Where am i going to get my "Keep your stick on the ice!" from?

Others have said it so I won't beat on it too much. I haven't listened to a Jets post game show in years, no clue if 1290 was good or what CJOB offers.

I usually listen to the Bombers post game on the drive home from the stadium but that's it and once they go to callers I am searching for something else usually cursing traffic for not getting me home before that torture begins.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

You have no idea how often @17to85and I reference this........... it is more accurate than you can possibly imagine. Whichever Simpsons writer wrote this bit knew what he was talking about...

Frank Mula wrote the episode, shame he doesn't have that many writing credits.

Edited by iHeart

Interesting bit in Mike McIntyre's article about the TSN Radio shutdown: 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/bells-abrupt-shutdown-of-1290-a-disgrace-573762452.html?fbclid=IwAR13UobdQ5rteNfnpdTI_LaxCuI4Vqb7mm5q_YY42v0ZTM-nAqYpOjjCOD0

"Nobody on the ground saw this coming. In fact, only a couple hours earlier, TSN 1290 employees got an email from their boss touting strong recent streaming numbers. As you likely know, the station bailed on the final year of its 10-year partnership with the True North Sports & Entertainment for exclusive broadcasting rights to the Jets, citing massive financial losses."

Very interesting that they didn't even complete their initial 10 year agreement...never mind bidding on a new rights agreement. Yikes. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Interesting bit in Mike McIntyre's article about the TSN Radio shutdown: 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/bells-abrupt-shutdown-of-1290-a-disgrace-573762452.html?fbclid=IwAR13UobdQ5rteNfnpdTI_LaxCuI4Vqb7mm5q_YY42v0ZTM-nAqYpOjjCOD0

"Nobody on the ground saw this coming. In fact, only a couple hours earlier, TSN 1290 employees got an email from their boss touting strong recent streaming numbers. As you likely know, the station bailed on the final year of its 10-year partnership with the True North Sports & Entertainment for exclusive broadcasting rights to the Jets, citing massive financial losses."

Very interesting that they didn't even complete their initial 10 year agreement...never mind bidding on a new rights agreement. Yikes. 

Oh, wow, I'm surprised that didn't leak. Obviously, the Jets, CJOB and those at TSN1290 kept it hush, hush. 

that's a harsher spin than necessary......the alternate title of the song is "Time Of My Life" and is the song played at virtually every HS Grad in 1998....along with the final episode of Seinfeld. It's meant as a wistful "I had a great time..." song.......not a "Good Riddance" song. Look, what Bell did is awful, and there's no way around that. But the song choice is being spun the wrong way.

if anything they could have used I Had the Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing, or Trooper's We're Here for a Good Time...but that's just what I think, but then again would it be right to use a rather upbeat song for the situation, I don't think so, they could have used some kind of Thank You song instead even.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that's a harsher spin than necessary......the alternate title of the song is "Time Of My Life" and is the song played at virtually every HS Grad in 1998....along with the final episode of Seinfeld. It's meant as a wistful "I had a great time..." song.......not a "Good Riddance" song. Look, what Bell did is awful, and there's no way around that. But the song choice is being spun the wrong way.

It's something unpredictable but in the end is right... I'm not sure if Bell has earned the benefit of the doubt. Spin or not, **** that shitty company.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Clearly Noeller and I watched the last night of Seinfeld.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

there is absolutely nothing worse than a post-game call in show. So many lunatics who think they know what they're talking about. Absolutely painful. When Bob Irving goes to the phone lines after a Bombers game, that's my cue to shut it off. Love interviews with players and coaches after a win, but the idiots on the phone are absolutely the worst.

It's so bad that it is good though.   You get 80 year old guys named Herb calling and saying the coach is a bum the qb is a bum and that we should trade for whoever the best QB is in the league and why this team isn't dominant.   Basically clones of TBurgess call in and it's funny to listen to. 

5 hours ago, JCon said:

There are more but it's been a while since I listened. I actually look for Jason Cole stuff from outside because I like his insight. 

Jason Cole was hilarious,  I liked him because he wasn't a cookie cutter everything is awesome and gushing over every single player/team.    The guy was much more of a realist and called out when teams played or made bad decisions.  It reminds me of the guys on walterfootball.com  (great site to visit during NFL free agency period) because they are hilarious and completely give unbias opinions on moves and trades. 

Hustler was a good interview but was much better when Lawless was around to call him out.  I found Hustler at times having very stubborn and "fanboy" like opinions.    

Rick Ralph is god awful,  not funny at all and never added anything to the shows. Kevin O was generic,   Troy Westwood was weird,   Toth I found funny and for the most part the stars of the show were the guests they had on like Pierre LeBrun who did offer good insights. 

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What i liked about 1290 was i could listen to the shows on my podcast app if i needed to. The post game show was my go to when hitting the hay.

Have not heard CJOB at all I think when it comes to the Jets. Do they even have a post-game call in? Where am i going to get my "Keep your stick on the ice!" from?

Well, if you were caught off guard then so was CJOB. Give them a chance to change things. You can't expect things to change for them at the drop of a hat. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

It's so bad that it is good though.   You get 80 year old guys named Herb calling and saying the coach is a bum the qb is a bum and that we should trade for whoever the best QB is in the league and why this team isn't dominant.   Basically clones of TBurgess call in and it's funny to listen to. 

Or a senior lady 75 years old who says our boys played hard so people should cheer for them even harder after a loss.

probably  the salad days of 24 hour a day sports talk radio and tv is ending.

ESPN not doing well. NBC axed their sports radio channel a few weeks ago.

fine with me.

there was a time when radio programs had writers, live music, talented hosts and guests.

there is none of that on canadian sports radio, not much of it on American either.

expecting some jocks and a few others to off the cuff fill three hours of live air time with something interesting is nonsensical. can not be done.

bye. will not miss it.

Edited by Mark F

I'll listen to the launch live but I probably won't make this a default station, I said it before and I'll say it again, I'd rather have a lite music station again (that was in the vein of when Kiss fm was Clear FM)

They opened with a standup bit from Ellen Degeneres

Edited by iHeart

Why is Sports radio dying? Well, say there are 3-4 time slots a day for local sports the same headlines are beat to death in every time slot unless there is breaking news of some kind in the sports world. In a one horse town like Calgary or Winnipeg where the CFL matters not but the NHL does just how many times can you flog to the listening audience in creative ways that the Flames or Jets  lost/won the night before. How can a station continue to talk non stop hockey on July 17th or August 6th when the off season is in full swing & no one cares about the Flames? Yet they do. Add in Blue Jays baseball talk & it's enough that I turn the station to something else. 

Forcing Blue Jay games down our throat here in Calgary as they're owned by Rogers which also owns Rogers Sportsnet's The Fan 960 so that means to the Burghers in Toronto running Sportsnet feel that (naturally) every Calgarian wants to listen to Blue Jay games every day of the MLB season. Which is not true. Especially when they're not in playoff contention. I used to be a baseball fan but Rodgers Sportnet killed the game for me. I hate the Blue Jays. I hardly follow baseball anymore. I was a big Cincinnatti Reds & Baltimore Orioles fan back in the 70's. 

Always talking Maple Leafs hockey. Rodgers thinks that the love of the Leafs in Toronto carries across the country so Calgarians also love the Leafs & Jays as much as the Flames. Which we know is not true. But there's The Fan 960 talking Leafs hockey when not the Flames. Or Jays baseball. Sprinkle in a little NBA Raptors during their season along with the NFL & gone is local sports coverage. Talking HS, junior & university sports. Not having local athletes get a small whiff of coverage locally, That is all gone when the coverage here on The Fan 960 is Flames & NHL all day, baseball NFL football & Raptors followed by American sports talk radio after hours & on weekends unless there is a Flames game. CFL coverage is there but it's miniscule. 

I tuned out a decade ago. I couldn't stand The Fan 960's format.  Too much of the same hockey talk from one time slot to another. Too much Toronto bullshit on local radio. We get enough of it in our news & political coverage in this country's media. So, I just said buh bye to sports radio. I think a lot of people across the country have as well. It wasn't the talent that turned me off but the content. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Forcing Blue Jay games down our throat here in Calgary

If you are a Canadian baseball or NBA fan, probably you are a blue jays or raptors fan. my brothnin law lives on van island, wears a raptors shirt.

I dont get it, the raptors / bluejays dont give a shat about anyone outside of toronto, but.... who knows what fans think.

I do not feel sorry for the lay offs..... people get laid off in this way every day.

usually not much of an outcry when workers in other fields get the pink slip.

not to mention small business owners. 

and, going into media, you must know you are one payday away from no job.

if you want job security, dont be a media personality.

Edited by Mark F

Well for basketball, I'm a Celtics fan going back to the days of Bird. Also have a fondness for the Timberwolves given proximity, annual trips for games there and them being on local TV (NBC) back in the day. I agree on things changing though. I think within the decade (likely sooner) everything will be available via a streaming service and you'll be able to pick and pay.

40 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Well for basketball, I'm a Celtics fan going back to the days of Bird. Also have a fondness for the Timberwolves given proximity, annual trips for games there and them being on local TV (NBC) back in the day. I agree on things changing though. I think within the decade (likely sooner) everything will be available via a streaming service and you'll be able to pick and pay.

Not that I would ever do this... but the from what I hear the quality of internet streams for NHL , NFL, UFC any sporting event has improved so much over the last few years that at this point you can barely even tell that it's an internet stream. 

It's also (from what I hear) extremely easy to find streams of your favorite team and in some cases you can listen to the the home or the away team audio broadcast while watching. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not that I would ever do this... but the from what I hear the quality of internet streams for NHL , NFL, UFC any sporting event has improved so much over the last few years that at this point you can barely even tell that it's an internet stream. 

It's also (from what I hear) extremely easy to find streams of your favorite team and in some cases you can listen to the the home or the away team audio broadcast while watching. 

What you have heard is not wrong in what you can watch and the quality.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

What you have heard is not wrong in what you can watch and the quality.

Guys we are not banned from talking about Kodi ;)

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why is Sports radio dying?

Is it? TSN Vancouver gone but they still have Sportsnet Vancouver. TSN Hamilton gone but it's beside TSN Toronto. Only Winnipeg without one.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

If you are a Canadian baseball or NBA fan, probably you are a blue jays or raptors fan. my brothnin law lives on van island, wears a raptors shirt.

I dont get it, the raptors / bluejays dont give a shat about anyone outside of toronto, but.... who knows what fans think.

I do not feel sorry for the lay offs..... people get laid off in this way every day.

usually not much of an outcry when workers in other fields get the pink slip.

not to mention small business owners. 

and, going into media, you must know you are one payday away from no job.

if you want job security, dont be a media personality.

I remember back in the 80's I had a NY Yankee button up jacket. I used to call it my "Reggie Jacket". Older fans here might get the reference. It was a Saturday afternoon in 1982 & the Jays were involved in a late season series with the Yankees. I wasn't wearing it for that reason. I had bought it in Seattle a couple of years earlier when my friend & I went down to catch a Mariners series with those Yankees & I wore it often. There was a bar besides the bank I had just walked out of across the street from St. Vital Centre. A drunk staggered out, saw my jacket, started cursing me out & saying I was a traitor to Canada, among other things. Like I should be cheering for Canada. But he actually wanted to fight me. I just looked at this tipsy asshat & laughed as he staggered away. That's when this **** started for me with the Jays & every year my love for baseball just diminished.  Especially when the big players in telecommunications took over in the 90's.