Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

People somehow using this to "make fun" of the Black Lives Matter movement...........I want to say it makes me shake my head, but it's a lot worse than that. It's unbelievable to me that people don't get the severity of that, in this day and age. 

How sad :(

16 hours ago, bearpants said:

I get the second half of your post is a very unfunny joke... but are you serious about the Red Wolves part?... or was that just the set up to the bad joke?

Nope. That name is seriously being considered as the new name for Washington. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nfl+washington+considering+the+name+red+wolves&&view=detail&mid=273DDF8B8FACF0CD5820273DDF8B8FACF0CD5820&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dnfl%20washington%20considering%20the%20name%20red%20wolves%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dnfl%20washington%20considering%20the%20name%20red%20wolves%26sc%3D0-46%26sk%3D%26cvid%3DB72E52059BB94C9BA4BE0087BF4D9315

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Edmonton is saying it will cost them a Million dollars to change the name.

Should they be forced to do it in Pandemic times when they aren't making any money and when they will surely lose a bunch this year?

How much money are the social justice keyboard warriors or the federal government willing to pay to the club to offset the cost?

I'm not happy to see otherwise successful clubs paying for the Als and Argos to play in front of empty stadiums year after year (each team paid over 600k to prop up MTL alone in 2019)... but if it's what is best for the long term health of the league then I guess it's necessary.

I think the name change is best for the long term health of the league and therefore necessary, like it or not. A million dollars doesn't even sound that bad. I would guess there will be an uptick in merchandise sales following the rebrand. Short term pain for long term gain.

I doubt any team can afford to pay an extra million bucks this year. It's not the same as just changing jerseys, they have to change their entire branding, except maybe the double E.

If it's best for the league then I guess all the teams should kick in for the name change.

It's funny that folks who demand the change don't want to pay for it. They expect the team to pay the entire amount. Pretty easy to demand change when it doesn't cost YOU anything.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt any team can afford to pay an extra million bucks this year. It's not the same as just changing jerseys, they have to change their entire branding, except maybe the double E.

If it's best for the league then I guess all the teams should kick in for the name change.

It's funny that folks who demand the change don't want to pay for it. They expect the team to pay the entire amount. Pretty easy to demand change when it doesn't cost YOU anything.

If you are referring to the Terry Jones article in The Sun... that's pretty ridiculous.

Try to find ONE image that actually relates to the term 'Eskimo' in Edmonton merch and marketing... there is NOTHING.  It's all EE or just the word Eskimos - which is pretty easy to swap out

Jones claims that season ticket holders will leave because they are loyal to the name...  this is laughable.

Like I said, we rebrand team jerseys and logos on a regular basis in the CFL - this is just another rebranding.

Edited by Floyd

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If you are referring to the Terry Jones article in The Sun... that's pretty ridiculous.

Try to find ONE image that actually relates to the term 'Eskimo' in Edmonton merch and marketing... there is NOTHING.  It's all EE or just the word Eskimos - which is pretty easy to swap out

Jones claims that season ticket holders will leave because they are loyal to the name...  this is laughable.

Like I said, we rebrand team jerseys and logos on a regular basis in the CFL - this is just another rebranding.

Easy to swap out, sure. Costs money to do so, sure. Sell off the old merch at a loss, costs money. Change all the marketing, costs money. Jersey refresh, costs money. All that plus more = A mill? Maybe. This isn't business as usual. It's a change that no one wants to pay for, especially during these pandemic times.

You're kinda missing the point on purpose. It's not, 'this can't cost what they say it will', it's 'I'm not willing to pay a dime for a change that I want to see'. Put your money where your mouth is.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Easy to swap out, sure. Costs money to do so, sure. Sell off the old merch at a loss, costs money. Change all the marketing, costs money. Jersey refresh, costs money. All that plus more = A mill? Maybe. This isn't business as usual. It's a change that no one wants to pay for, especially during these pandemic times.

You're kinda missing the point on purpose. It's not, 'this can't cost what they say it will', it's 'I'm not willing to pay a dime for a change that I want to see'. Put your money where your mouth is.

You do realize that 'old merch' is 'sold at a loss' every... single... year.  

How much money is tied up every year in unuseable marketing related to vets who get cut, injured or traded... such as Matt Nichols

Terry Jones says there's all these fans that will not renew their season tix because of the name change... but they won't buy all the Esks merch out of nostalgia... got it.  Sure.

We JUST rebranded the league in 2019 with New Era...  this included new logos.  And the MontreALS instead of Alouettes basically...  you don't remember Edmonton basically changing their brand to 'Esks' not that long ago???

You always manage to find the negative spin on anything... and once again, you are missing the point on purpose. 

This is not a massive change like the RedSkins - this one is a slight adjustment.  And in fact, its a huge marketing opportunity rather than a sadsack ledger entry...

I'd be surprised if New Era or someone doesn't rebrand it 'pro bono' just to reap the marketing/goodwill.

Its just too bad Esks had to wait until the Redskins did it - if anything, that cost them money.

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You do realize that 'old merch' is 'sold at a loss' every... single... year.  

How much money is tied up every year in unuseable marketing related to vets who get cut, injured or traded... such as Matt Nichols

Terry Jones says there's all these fans that will not renew their season tix because of the name change... but they won't buy all the Esks merch out of nostalgia... got it.  Sure.

We JUST rebranded the league in 2019 with New Era...  this included new logos.  And the MontreALS instead of Alouettes basically...  you don't remember Edmonton basically changing their brand to 'Esks' not that long ago???

You always manage to find the negative spin on anything... and once again, you are missing the point on purpose. This is not a massive change like the RedSkins - this one is a slight adjustment.  And in fact, its a huge marketing opportunity rather than a sadsack ledger entry...I'd be surprised if New Era or someone doesn't rebrand it 'pro bono' just to reap the marketing/goodwill.

Its just too bad Esks had to wait until the Redskins did it - if anything, that cost them money.

Because.....Alberta.

Massive change or 'slight adjustment' both mean significant outlay of capital, which is really stupid when we don't even know if we get a CFL season this year and we don't know if no season will kill the CFL outright.

I'd be very surprised if New Era or any other company for that matter would do anything 'pro bono'.

Again, you want change without having to pay a dime yourself. Typical keyboard social justice warrior.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

NxNWHo.gif

Pro-tip: Right click the image you want to post, select <Copy Image Address>, go to post and past the image address by either <Ctrl + V> or right clicking the post and select <Paste>.

Have fun! :)

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Massive change or 'slight adjustment' both mean significant outlay of capital, which is really stupid when we don't even know if we get a CFL season this year and we don't know if no season will kill the CFL outright.

I'd be very surprised if New Era or any other company for that matter would do anything 'pro bono'.

Again, you want change without having to pay a dime yourself. Typical keyboard social justice warrior.

Man, you've really slipped over the years...

So, basic logic and market forces defeated your 'Eskimos doesn't bother me and I'm a regular non-racist white guy' argument... so now you're wallowing in the dirt and calling me a 'typical social justice warrior who does nothing'... classy.

Just remember that I didn't give a flying effin eff about the name until I read how misguided your stance was - now you've twisted your argument that it was always only the 'cost of rebranding' that is the issue because it will kill the CFL...

You're a shadow of the old TBurg, I must say...