Covid-19

JCon

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Fast forward today and most people who did take the vaccine to be safe... ended up getting COVID and realized it's not as scary as the media made it out to be.      

I wonder if the vaccine helps to reduce the outcomes of Covid. Hmmmm? 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I wonder if the vaccine helps to reduce the outcomes of Covid. Hmmmm? 

Well technically yes,  even if only one person didn't get COVID after getting the shot it would of reduced the outcome.  However every single person I know who has had the vaccine ended up with COVID eventually including everyone in my house.  So was it really that effective?    How many people are getting booster shots,  I'm not aware of many folks getting them.        

Once again in the past,  people moved on.     We have other worries to deal with these days.  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

And many more people have died from Cancer and other reasons.   People adjust and move on,   nearly everyone that I know is living life exactly the same way pre pandemic with going out and socializing and not wearing masks in public.   No one is denying COVID is gone, but the mass hysteria and extreme over reactions causing fear is gone.   I think most people were taking vaccines out of fear of the unknown.      Fast forward today and most people who did take the vaccine to be safe... ended up getting COVID and realized it's not as scary as the media made it out to be.      

If you are terrified and read the internet and get spooked by these numbers then nothing is stopping yourself from staying at home and avoiding people and having groceries and whatever else delivered to your house.   Just because you have those thoughts does not mean people who do not are wrong.  

Comparing COVID to Cancer doesn't make any sense... Cancer is not transmissible.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Well technically yes,  even if only one person didn't get COVID after getting the shot it would of reduced the outcome.  However every single person I know who has had the vaccine ended up with COVID eventually including everyone in my house.  So was it really that effective?    How many people are getting booster shots,  I'm not aware of many folks getting them.        

Once again in the past,  people moved on.     We have other worries to deal with these days.  

As observed by JCon, the vaccine helps to reduce the effect of COVID... yes, you may still get it, but you are much less likely to end up in the hospital because of it.  The biggest reason for all of the measures and mandates was to not have everyone get sick at the same time to reduce the possible load on the health care system.  The fact that most people are vaccinated now helps to keep it that way, though the health care system is so broken that wait times are still awful.

I don't know about everyone else, but everyone in my family has all of their boosters, and we will continue to get them as they become available, no different than the annual flu shot that I get to help reduce the effects of getting that.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

TIL.... Brandon is completely loony tunes... Yikes. 

Telling this to yourself doesn't mean it is correct.    Maybe next time you leave the house (assuming that you do) and take a look around and see just how little people are wearing masks and social distancing themselves from each other.  This weekend tune in to an NFL game and see 60 000 people closely together with zero regards of getting COVID.   

I highly recommend detaching yourself from social media since it can drive people crazy to a point where they can't accept reality that they are wrong.     You have absolutely no way of winning this argument since it's not even up for debate.       People have moved on and living life as they were pre pandemic.   

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I went to a smoking area once and everyone was smoking.  I guess it's safe now.

How about when the CFL season is cancelled,  masks are mandatory,  social distanced is required,  restaurants are closed... at that point you can claim a victory.  Until then time to move on.

Smoking can lead to cancer,  so maybe I should stay inside my house until all smoking is abolished?  

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Comparing COVID to Cancer doesn't make any sense... Cancer is not transmissible.

As observed by JCon, the vaccine helps to reduce the effect of COVID... yes, you may still get it, but you are much less likely to end up in the hospital because of it.  The biggest reason for all of the measures and mandates was to not have everyone get sick at the same time to reduce the possible load on the health care system.  The fact that most people are vaccinated now helps to keep it that way, though the health care system is so broken that wait times are still awful.

I don't know about everyone else, but everyone in my family has all of their boosters, and we will continue to get them as they become available, no different than the annual flu shot that I get to help reduce the effects of getting that.

And I would add we're not terrified, we're being responsible for ourselves and others all while enjoying our many freedoms and choices we have at our disposal.

I went to a packed indoor event around Halloween and got COVID. Social distancing was impossible, and I knew that not many people would be masking, but I went anyway because I wanted to have some fun and act like things are normal. It proved to be a selfish choice because the people I cared about that depend on me most were without my support the better part of a week. Thank goodness I'm vaxxed and boosted, to think it could have been even worse and dragged on even longer... yikes

In the meantime, I've tried unplugging and turning a blind eye to the backlog of surgeries in this province, but the darn thing just won't go away! Wish it could 'move on' as easily. Nothing to see here if you just ignore it.

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I try to exercise on a regular basis. Am I living in fear? Have I bought into the lies of big exercise?

Yes, you're just going to die anyways, exercise doesn't work. Get out there and lick a doorknob, live a little

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

I went to a packed indoor event around Halloween and got COVID. Social distancing was impossible, and I knew that not many people would be masking, but I went anyway because I wanted to have some fun and act like things are normal. It proved to be a selfish choice because the people I cared about that depend on me most were without my support the better part of a week. Thank goodness I'm vaxxed and boosted, to think it could have been even worse and dragged on even longer... yikes

In the meantime, I've tried unplugging and turning a blind eye to the backlog of surgeries in this province, but the darn thing just won't go away! Wish it could 'move on' as easily. Nothing to see here if you just ignore it.

The important thing is that you had fun and that you pretended everything was just fine. 

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

And many more people have died from Cancer and other reasons.   People adjust and move on,   nearly everyone that I know is living life exactly the same way pre pandemic with going out and socializing and not wearing masks in public.   No one is denying COVID is gone, but the mass hysteria and extreme over reactions causing fear is gone.   I think most people were taking vaccines out of fear of the unknown.      Fast forward today and most people who did take the vaccine to be safe... ended up getting COVID and realized it's not as scary as the media made it out to be.      

If you are terrified and read the internet and get spooked by these numbers then nothing is stopping yourself from staying at home and avoiding people and having groceries and whatever else delivered to your house.   Just because you have those thoughts does not mean people who do not are wrong.  

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Telling this to yourself doesn't mean it is correct.    Maybe next time you leave the house (assuming that you do) and take a look around and see just how little people are wearing masks and social distancing themselves from each other.  This weekend tune in to an NFL game and see 60 000 people closely together with zero regards of getting COVID.   

I highly recommend detaching yourself from social media since it can drive people crazy to a point where they can't accept reality that they are wrong.     You have absolutely no way of winning this argument since it's not even up for debate.       People have moved on and living life as they were pre pandemic.   

billy-madison-dumber.gif

I'm sorry @Brandon, I just don't have the energy nor the time argue about this. 

Please note- I am not attacking you- you are a good egg. I am just taking umbrage with your quoted statements. 

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

This place is generally so sane and middle-of-the-road that I actually forgot there were crazies on here occasionally. Just wild. 

Why do you do this? 

It's hard to respect your point of view when you consistently ( over years of reading your posts ) belittle people. You're kind of an internet bully. If someone disagrees with you at any degree you call people crazies or stupid or whatever.

It's an old shtick.

For the record, I'm a left wing Bernie Sanders supporter. I came here to ask a question about the vaccine for clarity from some on here who seem to be quite knowledgeable and it's just like, **** what's the use, if you bring up the slightest resistance your **** on.

I'm not pro Vax or anti vax, my views have swayed both ways at times, but they say the anti vaxxers are the antaganizers, but on this site I mostly see the opposite.

My question was in reference to when the vaccine first came out were governments pushing this as a solution to stopping the virus from spreading? Is that true?

And if it is, is it actually? I know that it lessens the symptoms but I haven't seen anything that provides proof that it stops the virus from passing over to others.

Not spewing mis information, just curious.

Looking back is their anyone on this site that originally viewed all of the governments steps and actions acceptable, but now feel maybe things were pushed too far?

Ie: vaccine passports, job loss, total stop in economy.

I don't know how dangerous the virus is and I don't clame to. The amount of deaths recorded says it is quite deadly. The other flip of the coin is that a lot of covid deaths are from very old people and people with pre existing conditions. Is their truth to this?

NOT that it makes it okay to lose people senselessly, I'm just asking. 

It's a shame that I feel I have to tip tow around questions because if you don't you're a "crazy"

I welcome Brandon's views, your views, whoevers.  Chances are the best answer is somewhere in the middle 

I have a couple direct answers for this, just my take, maybe asking an actual doctor would be more useful but here goes...

31 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Why do you do this? 

He can't help himself 😛

...governments pushing this as a solution to stopping the virus from spreading? Is that true?

And if it is, is it actually? I know that it lessens the symptoms but I haven't seen anything that provides proof that it stops the virus from passing over to others.

Couple things...

if something is, say, 80% effective at preventing something (as the vaxes were roughly reported to be) then they are, as advertised, ineffective the other 20% of the time... better question would be how does vax uptake rate and correlate to repeat cases

lessening outcomes is a good thing, too, not just for the infected and their families but for the overburdened health care system... we still have surgery backlogs and continue to send patients out of province for what should be routine care done in house

Looking back is their anyone on this site that originally viewed all of the governments steps and actions acceptable, but now feel maybe things were pushed too far?

Ie: vaccine passports, job loss, total stop in economy.

personally, I love that businesses were able to stick to their guns, one way or the other, and customers reacted accordingly. Chapmans promotes vaxes by giving bonuses to vaxed employees... gets boycotted by the freedom crowd... then overwhelmingly everyone else supports them by buying all their ice cream off the shelves...... or, Monstrosity Burger was able to fly their freedom flag and court the trucker hordes for freedom bucks, but when the trucks rolled out there was nobody left willing to do business with them and they folded. Freedom of choice in action.

I liked knowing that other people around me were vaxed at events that required a passport. I'd bring it back if I could. Don't want to support a business that voluntarily checks vax passports? Then don't, me and my buds will instead.

I don't know how dangerous the virus is and I don't clame to. The amount of deaths recorded says it is quite deadly. The other flip of the coin is that a lot of covid deaths are from very old people and people with pre existing conditions. Is their truth to this?

NOT that it makes it okay to lose people senselessly, I'm just asking. 

This information was all available back when we had daily and then weekly pressers. Yes, older people are predictably more likely to die from it, but not exclusively so the question immediately turns to how old is old enough to be expendable and what % of outliers is tolerable? If losing people senselessly is not desirable then I'd hate to be the guy trying to determine that threshold.

I welcome Brandon's views, your views, whoevers.  Chances are the best answer is somewhere in the middle 

Guess we'll see

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

Why do you do this? 

It's hard to respect your point of view when you consistently ( over years of reading your posts ) belittle people. You're kind of an internet bully. If someone disagrees with you at any degree you call people crazies or stupid or whatever.

It's an old shtick.

The nicest answer I can say is that more then likely in real life he suffers from an extreme amount of ignorance and lacks the social skills and maturity so he isn't able to use an open mind and think before he speaks.   In his mind he thinks black and white and that his own opinions are always 100% correct.   

Because he's ignorant on religion and thinks that religious people are stupid and horrible people,  he has no idea on why a Catholic (or Muslim) would not want to wear an article of clothing supporting LGBT people.   He thinks by default that they are all horrible people who want LGBT to die or something along those lines.  If Noeller had done any sort of research or get off the internet or maybe even speak to someone who is religious he would realize that many many religious people are accepting of the LGBT community. While they won't actively promote LGBT lifestyle,  they do accept them and are not hateful or anything terrible towards them.    Pope Francis in recent years has been a big supporter of LGBT.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Francis_and_LGBT_topics

With the COVID stuff he more then likely reads and obssesses over all the extreme social media junk and thinks that it's still 2020 - 2021.  I said many times that yes COVID is real , people are still getting it and dying.  It doesn't mean that the world hasn't accepted it and adjusted and moved forward.   Just today my kids went to school in class, we went grocery shopping, we went to over priced Boston Pizza,  and watched the Jets on tv to a full crowd of people... and at no point in anywhere I went did I see social distancing,  masks,  or anything out of the normal.  I don't see people living in fear or staying at home and hiding.    For some reason he disagrees and maybe it's possible that he never leaves his house and is out of touch who knows?  Either way when I provide an example like that instead of rebutting with any sort of evidence that I am incorrect... Noeller goes into his typical mode of covering his ears and shouting louder because he can't come up with an intelligent response.  Either he does that or moves the goal posts because he can never admit that he is wrong (which is most of the times).

Hey may find a few supporters on here but in the real world I can't imagine people not pushing back on his stubborn takes.  

It's unfortunate because Noeller is one of the people on here who will drive away new visitors because he acts exactly like the cro-magnon members on riderfans.com forums.   In that if you go on that site and give an objectionable opinion they instantly drive you out with a barrage of caveman like insults because unless you pander 100% to them they'll drive you out because they can't take any criticism.  

/2cents 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

The nicest answer I can say is that more then likely in real life he suffers from an extreme amount of ignorance and lacks the social skills and maturity so he isn't able to use an open mind and think before he speaks.   In his mind he thinks black and white and that his own opinions are always 100% correct.   

Because he's ignorant on religion and thinks that religious people are stupid and horrible people,  he has no idea on why a Catholic (or Muslim) would not want to wear an article of clothing supporting LGBT people.   He thinks by default that they are all horrible people who want LGBT to die or something along those lines.  If Noeller had done any sort of research or get off the internet or maybe even speak to someone who is religious he would realize that many many religious people are accepting of the LGBT community. While they won't actively promote LGBT lifestyle,  they do accept them and are not hateful or anything terrible towards them.    Pope Francis in recent years has been a big supporter of LGBT.  

With the COVID stuff he more then likely reads and obssesses over all the extreme social media junk and thinks that it's still 2020 - 2021.  I said many times that yes COVID is real , people are still getting it and dying.  It doesn't mean that the world hasn't accepted it and adjusted and moved forward.   Just today my kids went to school in class, we went grocery shopping, we went to over priced Boston Pizza,  and watched the Jets on tv to a full crowd of people... and at no point in anywhere I went did I see social distancing,  masks,  or anything out of the normal.  I don't see people living in fear or staying at home and hiding.    For some reason he disagrees and maybe it's possible that he never leaves his house and is out of touch who knows?  Either way when I provide an example like that instead of rebutting with any sort of evidence that I am incorrect... Noeller goes into his typical mode of covering his ears and shouting louder because he can't come up with an intelligent response.  Either he does that or moves the goal posts because he can never admit that he is wrong (which is most of the times).

Hey may find a few supporters on here but in the real world I can't imagine people not pushing back on his stubborn takes.  

It's unfortunate because Noeller is one of the people on here who will drive away new visitors because he acts exactly like the cro-magnon members on riderfans.com forums.   In that if you go on that site and give an objectionable opinion they instantly drive you out with a barrage of caveman like insults because unless you pander 100% to them they'll drive you out because they can't take any criticism.  

/2cents 

Choosing to wear a mask in public, keep distance from people, or staying home does not equal living in fear.  Choosing to wear a mask in public can mean any number of things, including choosing to help others out if you aren't feeling 100% but needing to be out to get groceries.

Of course you're not going to see people who are staying home and "hiding", if you did, that would mean they didn't stay home.

After having some time to articulate my thoughts I think it comes out something like this.

Ultimately I believe the best situation is to protect the elderly and vulnerable by any means necessary. The economics and social mental health aspects are difficult to deal with but if I were the old, or vulnerable I'd appreciate my society looking out for me too.

I am double vaccinated, after all, though much consideration was put into that choice.

I also think wearing a mask is the right thing to do. It is no problem to me to wear a mask, whether I think it prevents spread or not. If it makes the person next to me more comfortable than I am all for that

Where I think a lot of " anti vaxxers " and even myself fall of is because of complete lack of truck in government, and main stream media. I don't trust fox, cnn, msnbc, or any major news network anymore than I trust a poster on here. Right or wrong I just don't buy what they are selling. I know an agenda is being pushed. 

Again this is just how I see it personally, not based on fact or fiction. If I don't trust the government or the media or any of the propaganda they spew, how am I supposed to trust the experts, scientists and health officials they bring on to tell me to get the vaccine. It is serious to put something into your body, especially when you lack confidence in the information being provided to you.

I thought the way the media and federal government set out to make vaccine hesitant people to be racists, disillusioned, crazy stupid people to be a major turn off to me. A vaccine passport to identify the "outsiders" was a major turn off to me.

What we've done here is create an us vs them mentality. The wealthiest people in the world have grown wealthier while the middle and lower class have struggled. We should be looking for solutions as a team through a very very complex issue instead of fighting amongst each other.

I do see that there are a lot of ignorant stubborn people who refuse to move on their stance or hear others concerns at all. A lot of this comes from the loud anti vaxxers. I see it happening with the vaccinated also. It just creates hostility and gets everyone defensive

Edited by CodyT

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

/2cents 

Oh boy!

This is why you've made yourself a target around here.    The weakness in almost all your arguments is that you speak in absolutes when all you have is your own anecdotal evidence as "research".  You seem incapable of comprehending complexity or nuance because it's just easier to relate your "knowledge" based on what you see in your small corner of the world.

To top it off, you have the nerve to suggest that your detractors (like me) get off social media because it's poisoning our minds.  As someone who constantly provides links to information, I suspect that you can't even access half of them.  Do you even subscribe, bro?

Edited by Wideleft

15 minutes ago, CodyT said:

I thought the way the media and federal government set out to make vaccine hesitant people to be racists, disillusioned, crazy stupid people to be a major turn off to me. A vaccine passport to identify the "outsiders" was a major turn off to me.

The Kanadian Konvoy Krowd did their fair share in reinforcing this image. Racist homophobes waving Canadian flags and crucifixes while calling passerbys faggots and sheeple, decrying the 'unknown ingredients in the vax' and 'unknown long term health effects' while unironically vaping next to idling diesel engines... some people are exactly what they show you... racist ignorant pigheads without an intelligent thought in their heads, that deserve to be ostracized at the very least, charged or even jailed in other cases. Obviously not every 'vaccine hesitant' person directly aligns with the Konvoy but the venn diagram overlaps pretty heavily I'd guess.

Re: passports, I'd pay extra to know I didn't have to share oxygen with a Konvoy member at an indoor event. People who 'live in fear of the vax and the passport' can stay home, or so I hear