Covid-19

JCon

When Covid burst onto the World many said that it would never go away in some form of another and we would have to learn to live with it, and it's being played out right now in China a country used a less than effective vaccine. I have read that crematoriums are running 24/7 with no end in sight for the near future.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Chinese government arrogance finally has cost them. No sympathy from me. 

that's fine if this were in a vaccuum....but that **** has an effect on us if new, crazy variants are coming because of what's happening in China...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

that's fine if this were in a vaccuum....but that **** has an effect on us if new, crazy variants are coming because of what's happening in China...

Whatever happens, happens. I'm getting tired of panic setting in everytime a headline or story comes out like this. I get my flu as well as Covid booster shots, I carry hand sanitizer & try to stay away from crowds unless it's outdoors like a Bomber game. That's all I can do. I'm getting on with my life. My hope is Xi Ping catches Covid & croaks. Now, that would be good news. 

10 minutes ago, bustamente said:

When Covid burst onto the World many said that it would never go away in some form of another and we would have to learn to live with it, and it's being played out right now in China a country used a less than effective vaccine. I have read that crematoriums are running 24/7 with no end in sight for the near future.

But muh individual freedoms don’t stop at your fears. 99 percent of people with Covid don’t die so believe what you want sheep. I’m going to live my life and make my own choices and not be told by big government what I can and cannot do.

ffs

Public health crises or not, one can be socially responsible, take care of oneself, ones loved ones and complete strangers AND still not live in fear AND live life to its fullest still enjoying the many freedoms and choices we have in this great country.

It’s not an either or. It just ebbs and flows as appropriate you knuckle dragging MF’s said to no one specifically here.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

With a population of 1.412 billion people I imagine that's par for the course, on average 27,765 people die every day in China.  1.412 billion people guaranteed to die some day, now there's an industry with growth potential for an entire lifetime! 😳

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Should still be better then average considering everyone vaccinated. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whatever happens, happens. I'm getting tired of panic setting in every time a headline or story comes out like this. I get my flu as well as Covid booster shots, I carry hand sanitizer & try to stay away from crowds unless it's outdoors like a Bomber game. That's all I can do. I'm getting on with my life. My hope is Xi Ping catches Covid & croaks. Now, that would be good news. 

K A R M A

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

To see that another way, China has done a great job at protecting their citizens from Covid and minimizing chances of variants developing in their substantial population thus far. Their initial lack of containment and attempts to cover up the virus were very much detrimental, but their efforts to contain the virus over the past few years surely helped the global population. The lack of containment outside of China has now caught up to them.

I'm not a fan of the Chinese regime at all, but from anecdotal accounts I have heard, they were mostly able to live life as normal throughout most of the pandemic. It makes me wonder where we would be in the world today if other governments took a lot of the same mitigation steps they did. Perhaps Omicron would never have evolved, I'm not really sure.

Again, not a fan of the regime. Not a fan of the inhumane ways they have tried to shut down Covid (forcefully locking people in buildings for example). But after the initial failures, their containment certainly helped the world's effort to limit spread and now the lack of containment worldwide and more virulent variants have caught up to them. I also don't believe their decision to drop zero-Covid was due to economic concerns, but due to worry about anti-Government sentiment spreading and a desire to hold ultimate power over the people.

There is an unconfirmed report out of China(and it will never be confirmed) that in the past 24 hours, 37 million new diagnoses of COVID were found. Very ill patients are being brought to hospitals where they sit on the floor waiting for someone to die so a bed will be available. The Chinese government chose to use a much less effective domestically-produced vaccine rather than buy from outsiders.

China, people waiting other to die, so they can get the bed.

On 2022-12-22 at 11:22 AM, WildPath said:

To see that another way, China has done a great job at protecting their citizens from Covid and minimizing chances of variants developing in their substantial population thus far. Their initial lack of containment and attempts to cover up the virus were very much detrimental, but their efforts to contain the virus over the past few years surely helped the global population. The lack of containment outside of China has now caught up to them.

I'm not a fan of the Chinese regime at all, but from anecdotal accounts I have heard, they were mostly able to live life as normal throughout most of the pandemic. It makes me wonder where we would be in the world today if other governments took a lot of the same mitigation steps they did. Perhaps Omicron would never have evolved, I'm not really sure.

Again, not a fan of the regime. Not a fan of the inhumane ways they have tried to shut down Covid (forcefully locking people in buildings for example). But after the initial failures, their containment certainly helped the world's effort to limit spread and now the lack of containment worldwide and more virulent variants have caught up to them. I also don't believe their decision to drop zero-Covid was due to economic concerns, but due to worry about anti-Government sentiment spreading and a desire to hold ultimate power over the people.

They did a great job murdering a hundred people who burned to death in an apartment building because some Communist official took it upon himself to padlock the building from the outside. Don't tell me how wonderful that regime is with Covid. Xi Ping & the CCP are cold blooded killers. What he did should be enough to bring the government down. Hopefully, someday these thugs & criminals will be in jail. All of them. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/anti-vaxx-nurse-libel-suit-ontario-1.6698686

An Ontario judge has dismissed a $1-million libel action by three nurses who faced disciplinary action for their anti-vaccine views during the pandemic, calling the plantiffs' decision to sue "puzzling" and "surprising." 

Kristen Nagle of London, Ont., Kristal Pitter of Tillsonburg, Ont., Sarah Choujounian of Toronto and the Canadian Frontline Nurses filed their court action under the province's anti-SLAPP legislation in December 2021, alleging the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) and independent B.C. news outlet Together News Inc. (TNI) caused harm to their personal and professional reputations with separate online articles published in the fall of 2021.

In her 29-page decision issued Dec. 23, Superior Court Justice Marie-Andrée Vermette sided with the defendants, saying the plaintiffs "failed to establish they have suffered sufficiently serious harm" and "failed to show a causal link between the harm they allege and the publications in issue."

Vermette cited the anti-SLAPP legislation, saying there were "significantly more important sources of harm" to the nurses' reputations that were "unrelated" to the publications, including: 

• Professional misconduct investigations of all three nurses by the province's nursing regulator, the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO).
  • The fact all three nurses were terminated from their respective jobs with cause.
  • Numerous media reports about the the nurses, including articles by what the court called "high-profile media organizations."

Vermette also called into question the plaintiffs' decision to sue in the first place, calling it "puzzling," given that similar information appeared in "numerous" other articles published in Canada.

She also said the decision to specifically sue TNI, "a small and regional media organization," was "particularly surprising" because the plaintiffs "chose to ignore similar expressions made by media giants."

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Freedom of speech, freedom of choice comes with consequences good, bad or indifferent you knuckle dragging self-entitled mf’rs. 

Using the courts to push this drivel needs harsher consequences other than just being dismissed. It needs to come with harsh financial penalty for wasting the courts time.

“Sick disgusting human beings”: Right-wingers use NFL player’s collapse to push anti-vax conspiracy.  MAGA conservatives tried to score political points after the Buffalo Bills' Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field

Right-wing anti-vaxxers pushed a debunked conspiracy blaming COVID shots after NFL player Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field on Monday.

Hamlin, a 24-year-old safety for the Buffalo Bills, suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed on the field after a scary hit to his chest during the Monday Night Football matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals. Players surrounded Hamlin as he received CPR for about nine minutes before being taken off the field in an ambulance. The game was postponed and Hamlin was taken to a local hospital.

"Damar Hamlin suffered a cardiac arrest following a hit in the Buffalo Bills' game versus the Cincinnati Bengals. His heartbeat was restored on the field and he was transferred to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center for further testing and treatment. He is currently sedated and listed in critical condition," the Bills said in a statement early Tuesday.

The scary moment led to an outpouring of support and prayers for the young second-year player and an online toy drive fundraiser launched by Hamlin quickly raised more than $3 million in donations in the hours after his collapse. But some right-wing anti-vaccine conspiracy theorists used the incident to stoke a widely debunked claim that the COVID vaccine is causing young, healthy athletes to suddenly collapse.
"This is a tragic and all too familiar sight right now: Athletes dropping suddenly," tweeted Charlie Kirk, the head of the Trump-allied Turning Point USA.

"There have been too many recent #diedsuddenly cases to deny it anymore," wrote failed Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Joey Gilbert.

This 'alarming' subvariant now accounts for 75 percent of new COVID-19 infections in the northeastern US: CDC

Three years have passed since the COVID-19 pandemic began to attack the United States. Reports on what came to be called COVID-19 came from Wuhan, China in December 2019, and on January 21, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) first reported that it had “confirmed the first case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the United States in the state of Washington.”

Since it began three years ago, COVID-19 has, according to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, killed more than 6.6 million people worldwide — including over one million in the United States. COVID-19 continues to be highly contagious in early 2023, but at this point, it isn’t nearly as deadly as it was in 2020 and 2021. Millions of people have been vaccinated and the majority of COVID-19 infections in the U.S. are not fatal and do not require hospitalization.
COVID-19, in 2022, was dominated by its Omicron variant and the various Omicron subvariants. According to CNN reporter Brenda Goodman, the subvariant XBB.1.5 has become increasingly prominent — so prominent, in fact, that the CDC is now attributing 75 percent of new COVID-19 infections in the northeastern U.S. to XBB.1.5.

Goodman, in an article published on CNN’s website on January 3, explains, “On Friday, (December 30), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's COVID-19 variant dashboard revealed a new dark horse that could soon sweep the field: XBB.1.5. The CDC estimates that XBB.1.5 has more than doubled its share of the COVID-19 pie each week for the last four, rising from about 4 percent to 41 percent of new infections over the month of December. In the Northeast, the CDC estimates, XBB.1.5 is causing 75 percent of new cases.”

Pavitra Roychoudhury of the University of Washington School of Medicine's virology lab in Seattle told CNN, “For a few months now, we haven't seen a variant that's taken off at that speed.”

XBB.1.5, according to Goodman, was “first detected in New York and Connecticut in late October.”

https://www.alternet.org/this-alarming-subvariant-now-accounts-for-75-percent-of-new-19-infections-in-the-northeastern-us-cdc/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/world-health-organization-covid-china-1.6703123

The World Health Organization is "concerned" about the surge in COVID-19 infections in China, director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.

"We continue to ask China for more rapid, regular, reliable data on hospitalizations and deaths, as well as more comprehensive, real-time viral sequencing," he said at a media briefing in Geneva.

His remarks come one day after the WHO met with Chinese scientists amid concern about the accuracy of China's data about the outbreak. Other WHO officials underscored the need for more data from China while thanking the country for what it has provided in the last week.

Beijing's abrupt axing of "zero COVID" curbs last month has unleashed the virus on China's 1.4 billion people who have little immunity after being shielded since the virus emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan three years ago.

China reported five new COVID deaths for Tuesday, bringing the official death toll to 5,258, very low by global standards.

Many Chinese funeral homes and hospitals say they are overwhelmed, and international health experts predict at least one million deaths in China this year. China has reported five or fewer deaths a day since the policy U-turn.

This probably isn't going to end well.

COVID’s New Year’s Resolution Is to Infect Us All Again (and Again)

In a recent survey of tens of thousands of American adults in all 50 states, about half reported experiencing a previous or ongoing COVID-19 infection. Those findings complement two reports from earlier last year that suggested between 42 and 58 percent of adults, respectively, had been infected with the virus at some point.

But that’s accounting for at least one infection. The proportion of Americans getting COVID again is a tougher nut to crack, since we lack adequate public health surveillance and viral testing to deduce concrete numbers on reinfections. But even without the perfect epidemiological data, we know they are on the rise.

What we haven’t figured out yet, however, is what reinfections mean for living with COVID in the long run.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/covids-new-years-resolution-is-to-infect-us-all-again-and-again?ref=home

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

COVID’s New Year’s Resolution Is to Infect Us All Again (and Again)

In a recent survey of tens of thousands of American adults in all 50 states, about half reported experiencing a previous or ongoing COVID-19 infection. Those findings complement two reports from earlier last year that suggested between 42 and 58 percent of adults, respectively, had been infected with the virus at some point.

But that’s accounting for at least one infection. The proportion of Americans getting COVID again is a tougher nut to crack, since we lack adequate public health surveillance and viral testing to deduce concrete numbers on reinfections. But even without the perfect epidemiological data, we know they are on the rise.

What we haven’t figured out yet, however, is what reinfections mean for living with COVID in the long run.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/covids-new-years-resolution-is-to-infect-us-all-again-and-again?ref=home

I’m really beginning to dislike this thread.