Covid-19

JCon

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

'Neglect': Unvaccinated people more likely to have serious driving accidents

People who refused to get the COVID-19 vaccine have a 72 percent higher chance of getting into a traffic crash that requires hospitalization, a new study published in the American Journal of Medicine says.

The study looked at data of 11.2 million people taken from 178 medical centers in Ontario, Canada. Researchers found that 84 percent had received a COVID-19 vaccine as of July 31, 2021 while 16 percent hadn’t.
Researchers also found that, in a one-month period, 6,682 of all the individuals had received care for serious car crashes. Of those individuals, 75 percent had received COVID-19 vaccinations and 25 percent hadn’t.

This may sound like vaccinated individuals were more likely to get into car crashes. But because the 25 percent of unvaccinated crash victims came from a smaller pool of similarly unvaccinated individuals, researchers calculated that unvaxxed people were 72 percent more likely to be in a serious traffic accident when compared to vaxxed`individuals.

“We theorized that individual adults who tend to resist public health recommendations might also neglect basic road safety guidelines,” the study’s authors stated.

https://www.alternet.org/neglect-unvaccinated-people-more-accidents/

Seatbelts? Government conspiracy to try to show they can control us!

Winter Tires? Attempt by the tire industry to increase sales!

6 hours ago, WildPath said:

Seatbelts? Government conspiracy to try to show they can control us!

Winter Tires? Attempt by the tire industry to increase sales!

Red Lights? Stop and yield signs? Turn signals? Speed limits? Defensive driving? Drive to the conditions? No one tells me what I can or cannot do. My freedoms don’t stop at your fears. Wake up!

15 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Red Lights? Stop and yield signs? Turn signals? Speed limits? Defensive driving? Drive to the conditions? No one tells me what I can or cannot do. My freedoms don’t stop at your fears. Wake up!

Whatever this is, in Latin, I'm pretty sure that's the official motto of the Province Of Alberta....

On 2022-10-17 at 10:38 AM, Mark H. said:

There is a similar problem in the school system.  Retired teachers used to be the biggest and most effective pool of substitute teachers

Many of them are now choosing not to sub, covid being the primary reason

In Calgary circa 2012, the Calgary Board of Education disallowed retired teachers to sub. Once retired they had to stay retired. There were too many young teachers who couldn't find work. Times change. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In Calgary circa 2012, the Calgary Board of Education disallowed retired teachers to sub. Once retired they had to stay retired. There were too many young teachers who couldn't find work. Times change. 

That works if those young teachers know how to manage a classroom. Too many can't do the job.

Just now, Wideleft said:

That's a succession plan problem.  There aren't too many jobs with so much responsibility like teaching that we should expect young graduates to just step in and succeed.

I completely agree.  School boards and Universities need to be having this discussion. I don't want to point fingers, but some Universities are doing a better job than others. I've had student teachers from all three.

For you all making fun of Alberta for standing up to Ottawa, maybe you forgot that your own government in Manitoba is inline with AB and Sask on this, in that they pledged to not have RCMP resources diverted to enforcing Trudeau's new and arbitrary gun laws.  So maybe look to your own before bad-mouthing a Province who protects it's law abiding citizens.  This is in regard to the nonsense handgun freeze but if you think the government of Manitoba is going to sit back and do nothing about the newest nonsense in Bill C-21, you've obviously lived your whole sheltered life in Winnipeg and suffer from perimiteritis, never having known someone who hunts.

Province of Manitoba | News Releases | Provinces Oppose Federal Use of Police Resources to Confiscate Legally Acquired Firearms (gov.mb.ca)

"Provinces joined together this week at the 2022 meeting of federal, provincial and territorial ministers responsible for justice and public safety to discuss the federal government’s plan to use police resources to confiscate legally acquired firearms.

“Manitoba has consistently stated that many aspects of the federal approach to gun crimes unnecessarily target lawful gun owners while having little impact on criminals, who are unlikely to follow gun regulations in any event. In Manitoba’s view, any buy-back program cannot further erode our scarce provincial police resources, already suffering from large vacancy rates, and away from focusing on investigation of violent crimes,” said Manitoba Justice Minister Kelvin Goertzen.

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and New Brunswick called on the federal government to halt plans to use scarce RCMP and municipal police resources to confiscate over 100,000 legally acquired firearms from Canadians. The Prairie provinces had already written to their RCMP divisions indicating that provincial funding should not be used for that purpose."

On 2022-11-08 at 12:57 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

We need more of this, not only for issues related to Covid but for how people confuse Freedom of Speech is meant as freedom to lie without consequences.

From the Canadian Press:

Alberta Court of Appeal dismisses unvaccinated woman's case for organ donation.

She can refuse the vaccine, the ruling says, but there are consequences that flow from that decision. 

So to my point, exchange the sentences above to read, he can lie all he wants, i.e., freedom to say whatever you want, but there are consequences that flow from that decision. 

You have to ask yourself, is it rational to possibly condemn someone to death for refusing a vaccine (that sort-of works, you still get sick) for a virus with a survival rate for most people over 99%?  I've had covid at least twice, time to stop living in fear my friend, stop the dividing and tribalism that is eating away at our society.

20 minutes ago, basslicker said:

For you all making fun of Alberta for standing up to Ottawa, maybe you forgot that your own government in Manitoba is inline with AB and Sask on this, in that they pledged to not have RCMP resources diverted to enforcing Trudeau's new and arbitrary gun laws.  So maybe look to your own before bad-mouthing a Province who protects it's law abiding citizens.  This is in regard to the nonsense handgun freeze but if you think the government of Manitoba is going to sit back and do nothing about the newest nonsense in Bill C-21, you've obviously lived your whole sheltered life in Winnipeg and suffer from perimiteritis, never having known someone who hunts.

Province of Manitoba | News Releases | Provinces Oppose Federal Use of Police Resources to Confiscate Legally Acquired Firearms (gov.mb.ca)

"Provinces joined together this week at the 2022 meeting of federal, provincial and territorial ministers responsible for justice and public safety to discuss the federal government’s plan to use police resources to confiscate legally acquired firearms.

“Manitoba has consistently stated that many aspects of the federal approach to gun crimes unnecessarily target lawful gun owners while having little impact on criminals, who are unlikely to follow gun regulations in any event. In Manitoba’s view, any buy-back program cannot further erode our scarce provincial police resources, already suffering from large vacancy rates, and away from focusing on investigation of violent crimes,” said Manitoba Justice Minister Kelvin Goertzen.

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and New Brunswick called on the federal government to halt plans to use scarce RCMP and municipal police resources to confiscate over 100,000 legally acquired firearms from Canadians. The Prairie provinces had already written to their RCMP divisions indicating that provincial funding should not be used for that purpose."

You have to ask yourself, is it rational to possibly condemn someone to death for refusing a vaccine (that sort-of works, you still get sick) for a virus with a survival rate for most people over 99%?  I've had covid at least twice, time to stop living in fear my friend, stop the dividing and tribalism that is eating away at our society.

I see you're making your semi-regular gas lighting appearance.

Please continue dispensing your wisdom.

1 hour ago, basslicker said:

You will get no argument from me that the Manitoba government also panders to its rural base, knowing full well that there are more people in downtown Toronto that fully support more gun control measures than live beyond our perimeter.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't remember reading anywhere on here that Manitoba was somehow much different than Sask/AB.........?? These three (and Ontario, to a certain degree) are all in this together...run by mentally incapacitated lunatics.

Yes, it's just AB, SK and ONs turn to be extra stupid. Our premier is just too incompetent to compete with those morons and murders. 

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

That works if those young teachers know how to manage a classroom. Too many can't do the job.

Another issue is the pay received by subs. It is fairly meagre compared to the job requirements. Needing two degrees and at least 5 years of post-secondary to receive less than EAs make and not have any benefits or job security. I opted to work in construction until I had a teaching job rather than dealing with sub life.

3 hours ago, basslicker said:

It seems like you don't know how vaccines actually work, then. 

And a feeble anecdote is proof of absolutely nothing.

Who's living in fear?* There are no more restrictions and no more mandates related to COVID-19 in any jurisdiction anywhere in the entire country. Life is pretty much the same as it was three years ago** as far as going where you want and doing what you want.

* covidiots still are now that I think of it
** except for COVID-19 still making people sick and killing some of them, and putting more of a strain an already broken healthcare system

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It seems like you don't know how vaccines actually work, then. 

And a feeble anecdote is proof of absolutely nothing.

Who's living in fear?* There are no more restrictions and no more mandates related to COVID-19 in any jurisdiction anywhere in the entire country. Life is pretty much the same as it was three years ago** as far as going where you want and doing what you want.

* covidiots still are now that I think of it
** except for COVID-19 still making people sick and killing some of them, and putting more of a strain an already broken healthcare system

Actually, replace the word vaccines with science.

Medicine a lot of times is an art lead by science. 

Said poster is just sitting back, smirking away reading the responses to his (?) coming in hot gaslighting comments thinking what a bunch of idiots tearing away the fabric of our society with their tribalism. Wake up, our Country is going to ****.

I'm told by some here that I'm to be receptive, kind and open to listening to this jerk approach. Just another side to the equation.

Showing empathy for this is type of abrasive approach where the primary objective is to get a rise out of others who don't support personal entitlements, personal freedoms like speech, choices etc with no social responsibility attached to it whatsoever hiding behind the 'I'm a law abiding citizen that will not be told to do something I don't agree with' because of the junk science, junk research, junk sources they expose themselves to that swills around social media is becoming more and more difficult to do.  

4 hours ago, basslicker said:

You have to ask yourself, is it rational to possibly condemn someone to death for refusing a vaccine (that sort-of works, you still get sick) for a virus with a survival rate for most people over 99%? I've had covid at least twice, time to stop living in fear my friend, stop the dividing and tribalism that is eating away at our society.

The more you know:

"People with repeated COVID-19 infections are twice as likely to die and three times as likely to be hospitalized compared to those only infected once, according to the report published online recently in the journal Nature Medicine."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/health-effects-increase-with-repeated-covid-19-infections/ar-AA1467g1

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

The more you know:

"People with repeated COVID-19 infections are twice as likely to die and three times as likely to be hospitalized compared to those only infected once, according to the report published online recently in the journal Nature Medicine."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/health-effects-increase-with-repeated-covid-19-infections/ar-AA1467g1

To underline this, on Sunday I heard an interview with the doctor who oversees the largest childrens' hospital in the country- Toronto Sick Kid's Hospital which is just as overwhelmed as any other such in Canada (and probably the US). She said that, although it changes a bit from day to day, consistently over 90% of the children on the ward are unvaccinated and their average length of stay approaches 14 days. The kids who are vaccinated but get sick anyway typically stay 2-3 days before discharge. She also said that had been deaths on her ward, but NONE of the children who died were vaccinated.

Emerging COVID-19 crisis in China 'could shake the world': WaPo Editorial Board

China is facing a new COVID-19 crisis that could severely affect the world after President Xi Jinping lifted the lockdown measures earlier this month, the Washington Post Editorial Board says.

President Jinping originally lifted the “zero-covid” lockdown policy due to the negative impact it had on the economy – which triggered public protests throughout the country last month.  He declared an end to the policy on December 7.

China’s normally cool, calm and collected government, according to the Post, seems to be rattled by the new omicron variant that can potentially permeate throughout the nation. Residents have started to stay at home out of pure fear of its impact.

The country traded the more powerful mRNA vaccines for “less-effective Chinese-made shots, and because the omicron variant hasn’t impacted much of the population, residents are less immune to the virus. The only possible saving grace to the outbreak is the CanSino Biologics aerosol vaccine, which is serving as a booster “in the form of an inhaled mist taking in through the mouth” in addition to imported mRNA shots.

Of China’s 60-and-over population, only approximately 69 percent have had booster shots, and an even less percentage of residents over 80 have received theirs.  The nation has already seen an uptick in deaths recently and is expected to see at least one million more in the next few months.

In an attempt to mitigate this significant health crisis, China has enacted a campaign to attract more hesitant residents to vaccinate.

Although vastly unpredictable, the current outbreak could continue to generate new variants over time on a global scale.

https://www.alternet.org/covid-crisis-china-shake-world/

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Emerging COVID-19 crisis in China 'could shake the world': WaPo Editorial Board

China is facing a new COVID-19 crisis that could severely affect the world after President Xi Jinping lifted the lockdown measures earlier this month, the Washington Post Editorial Board says.

President Jinping originally lifted the “zero-covid” lockdown policy due to the negative impact it had on the economy – which triggered public protests throughout the country last month.  He declared an end to the policy on December 7.

China’s normally cool, calm and collected government, according to the Post, seems to be rattled by the new omicron variant that can potentially permeate throughout the nation. Residents have started to stay at home out of pure fear of its impact.

The country traded the more powerful mRNA vaccines for “less-effective Chinese-made shots, and because the omicron variant hasn’t impacted much of the population, residents are less immune to the virus. The only possible saving grace to the outbreak is the CanSino Biologics aerosol vaccine, which is serving as a booster “in the form of an inhaled mist taking in through the mouth” in addition to imported mRNA shots.

Of China’s 60-and-over population, only approximately 69 percent have had booster shots, and an even less percentage of residents over 80 have received theirs.  The nation has already seen an uptick in deaths recently and is expected to see at least one million more in the next few months.

In an attempt to mitigate this significant health crisis, China has enacted a campaign to attract more hesitant residents to vaccinate.

Although vastly unpredictable, the current outbreak could continue to generate new variants over time on a global scale.

https://www.alternet.org/covid-crisis-china-shake-world/

Chinese government arrogance finally has cost them. No sympathy from me.