The Trade Thread

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

If you accept that nothing can be done to make the Jets a better team, then Chevy is your guy. And, I have to wonder about the future of the team if you can't attract anyone to play here and you can't be competitive.

Chychrun didn't have a no trade. 

Its come out that Arizona valued Ottawa's likely higher 1st round pick this year above all else. More then one team offered two 1st's +. Im glad Chevy said no to what would have been a massive overpayment to sway Arizona.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Arizona Bettman's win again. 

In plain sight.

Doesn't even try to hide it and wags his finger at everyone else with his sneering smarmy I'm in charge you're stupid and don't understanding the complexity here condescending tone surrounded by his lapdogs all feverishly nodding their heads in agreement on his every word.

Welcome to the NHL.

35 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I cant imagine how many times he's heard "thanks, but not interested in signing there" and "youre on his no trade list". I think he's done as best a job as any GM in Winnipeg can do.

AND if that's the best ...time to move on....We're not part of the NHL to give a guy a job in perpetuity ...produce or move along....We're stagnant and that's a reason why players see us as a dead end....New blood needed and there comes a time when change is needed

Edited by Stickem

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

AND if that's the best ...time to move on....We're not part of the NHL to give a guy a job in perputuity ...produce or move along....We're stagnant and that's a reason why players see us as a dead end....New blood needed and there comes a time when change is needed

Im all for fresh blood, but do you honestly think another GM would all of a sudden have free agents lining up to sign here and players waving no trade clauses?? Its Winnipeg. Our plan will have to forever be draft + develop and try to retain our players, while adding bit pieces through trades/signings. No franchise altering players will be signing or getting traded to Winnipeg. Its our sad reality.

40 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

There isnt a GM out there that would be able to do a much better job than Chevy. His hands are perpetually tied. Winnipeg will forever be the last place players want to sign with/be traded to. I cant imagine how many times he's heard "thanks, but not interested in signing there" and "youre on his no trade list". I think he's done as best a job as any GM in Winnipeg can do.

Knowing it's Apples to Oranges, if the Bombers can do it, I hold hope the Jets can do it.

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Knowing it's Apples to Oranges, if the Bombers can do it, I hold hope the Jets can do it.

In theory its winning that helps. If the Jets can become an upper echelon team that seems to always win(see Lightning/Bruins), then it should get easier to sign players. In theory. But itll never be New York Rangers level easy for the Jets.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

22 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

That’s not comparing apples to oranges, that’s comparing a fruit basket to a sack of door knobs. Or to paraphrase Jules Winfield in Pulp Fiction:

“It ain't no f***in' ballpark either. It ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same f***in sport!”

Convincing a CFL player to spend summer in Winnipeg vs in Toronto or Montreal or BC has no comparison to convincing an NHL player to spend winters in Winnipeg vs Vegas or Tampa for tax purposes, or LA or Dallas for weather, or New York for nightlife. And last I checked, CFL players don’t get a no-movement clause. Hope has nothing to do with the reality that the NHL team in Winnipeg is playing against a stacked deck, and the only way to attract talent is by having an already Stanley Cup contending team on hand, and the only way to get that here is a draft/develop/ hopefully retain system, and not by trading for talent. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Hope has nothing to do with the reality that the NHL team in Winnipeg is playing against a stacked deck, and the only way to attract talent is by having an already Stanley Cup contending team on hand, and the only way to get that here is a draft/develop/ hopefully retain system, and not by trading for talent. 

I agree with the 'stacked deck' comment BUT in reality if we are only depending on the draft/develop and retain....then we're hooped from ever becoming a Cup winner.....There isn't one club from cellar dweller to the echelon teams that don't try and strengthen through trade.....IF it's beneficial and improves your club ....you do it or risk the label of 'not a team willing to go the extra mile to succeed'....Certainly there's a point where acquiring a player through a trade does not equate to a benefit monetarily, or make sense finanacially BUT you have to be prepared to do everything you can to improve a club like the Jets are presently in the standings..... or risk being out of the winners circle forever   

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s not comparing apples to oranges, that’s comparing a fruit basket to a sack of door knobs. Or to paraphrase Jules Winfield in Pulp Fiction:

“It ain't no f***in' ballpark either. It ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same f***in sport!”

Convincing a CFL player to spend summer in Winnipeg vs in Toronto or Montreal or BC has no comparison to convincing an NHL player to spend winters in Winnipeg vs Vegas or Tampa for tax purposes, or LA or Dallas for weather, or New York for nightlife. And last I checked, CFL players don’t get a no-movement clause. Hope has nothing to do with the reality that the NHL team in Winnipeg is playing against a stacked deck, and the only way to attract talent is by having an already Stanley Cup contending team on hand, and the only way to get that here is a draft/develop/ hopefully retain system, and not by trading for talent. 

I just knew when I was writing apples to oranges you would come in hot on it and voila here you are lol.

Yes you make good points and yes winning cures everything by having a sound draft/develop/retain approach but in most cases I'm not an either or guy and I'm not anywhere near you in thinking trading for talent is not an option for us to blend with draft/develop/retain. You have to have all to be consistently successful.

I tend to lean toward the "good players don't want to come to Winnipeg" thinking, and Chevy isn't going to deal quality assets for players without term or ones who refuse to sign contract extensions. Also good players won't waive NTCs to come to Winnipeg. As for the comparison to the Bombers, 6 months during Manitoba summer is WAY different than being here for a Manitoba winter. Not comparable. 

I don't know what more Chevy can do, honestly.... so much of the Jets "middling" is just the result of the market. It's how it's going to be, and then hopefully every decade or so, you get a run like they had in 2018 when they legitimately could have won it all, and just ran into a healthier, red hot VGK. 

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I agree with the 'stacked deck' comment BUT in reality if we are only depending on the draft/develop and retain....then we're hooped from ever becoming a Cup winner.....There isn't one club from cellar dweller to the echelon teams that don't try and strengthen through trade.....IF it's beneficial and improves your club ....you do it or risk the label of 'not a team willing to go the extra mile to succeed'....Certainly there's a point where acquiring a player through a trade does not equate to a benefit monetarily, or make sense finanacially BUT you have to be prepared to do everything you can to improve a club like the Jets are presently in the standings..... or risk being out of the winners circle forever   

I agree. We are likely hooped from being a Stanley Cup winner. 

Suppose we had traded for Timo Meier and Chychrun. Arizona for something from Ottawa for Chychryn we could not offer given our respective positions I. The standings, a chance at a top 10 draft pick this year. So to say we were sleeping when Ottawa made the deal is disingenuous. The assets available were different. Arizona apparently wanted two guaranteed first rounders if one was not top 10. Plus other assets given what other draft choices Ottawa gave up. For Timo, Jets would give up another first, second (which we already traded for Neittereider) and 7th plus 4 players. Already now talking about dealing g more 1st rounders than we have to give away. And to acquire a higher first round pick, most obvious way is to move PLD to Montreal for their extra 1st rounder. So move Dubois, probably assets like Heinola, Lucius, Gustafson, and 3 1sts, 3 2nds (one of which could become another 1st), a 6th and a 7th to land 2 more years of Chychrun and one year of Meier at $10 million since has already ensured through his agent he won’t consider signing with Winnipeg long-term. Is that really strengthening your club by doing everything you can now? The only way the answer is yes is if those moves GUARANTEE a Cup win this year, and of course no one can guarantee that. Otherwise this definitely weakens the team. Especially since we can’t rebuild on the fly like Vegas who can attract big name free agents, and have to build through the draft, which we just mortgaged with these proposed trades. Sucks but Winnipeg just can’t compete with some other cities, and it’s not the GM so much as it is the market and the current CBA which allows no-move clauses. 

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I tend to lean toward the "good players don't want to come to Winnipeg" thinking, and Chevy isn't going to deal quality assets for players without term or ones who refuse to sign contract extensions. Also good players won't waive NTCs to come to Winnipeg. As for the comparison to the Bombers, 6 months during Manitoba summer is WAY different than being here for a Manitoba winter. Not comparable. 

I don't know what more Chevy can do, honestly.... so much of the Jets "middling" is just the result of the market. It's how it's going to be, and then hopefully every decade or so, you get a run like they had in 2018 when they legitimately could have won it all, and just ran into a healthier, red hot VGK Marc-Andre Fleury who basically carried that ******* team through the post-season. 

FTFY

**** Vegas.

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And to acquire a higher first round pick, most obvious way is to move PLD to Montreal for their extra 1st rounder. So move Dubois, probably assets like Heinola, Lucius, Gustafson, and 3 1sts, 3 2nds (one of which could become another 1st), a 6th and a 7th to land 2 more years of Chychrun and one year of Meier at $10 million since has already ensured through his agent he won’t consider signing with Winnipeg long-term. Is that really strengthening your club by doing everything you can now? 

Certainly there are situations where it becomes too expensive and would be the death knell of a gm to enter deals where it's too expensive and do not make sense BUT you just gave one like the Dubois move...What I don't agree with is giving up the 'probably assets' you mentioned to make that move to obtain Chychrun....We were apparently offering more than Ottawa (what that consisted of would only be known by Chevy) BUT it had to be significant....and yet the deal failed.....Are you telling me that Ottawa is a better market than Winnipeg and that's the reason it didn't work , because if it is, I can guarantee that 'berg' doesn't have anything on the Peg...So we were willing to give up assets and still came up empty....Something went wrong and I hope the gm has answers as to why it ended that way

Edited by Stickem

7 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Makes sense, the Coyotes have to unload their active healthy players to make room for high salaried inactive probably never play again players. 

There is only so much 3000 ish fans can afford.

13 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This is a draft and develop franchise based on the complexities in today's NHL with NMCs, NTCs, and rights for players to decide where they want to go.

I get that fans are frustrated by the team's recent struggles and lack of trades, but this narrative that Cheveldayoff doesn't try or doesn't have to try seems rather baseless.

How would you suggest he do better as GM in order to "attract" players or coaches?

I dunno. That's your opinion. By giving Chevy a job for life, we'll never find out.