Osh is a Legend

Floyd

7 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

One of the criticisms of Streveler is that he hasn't been able to pick up defensive formations and get through his reads. Not sure I agree with this but even if true - who's responsible for that? Arbuckle in Calgary and Adams in Montreal have good QB experience coaching them. Hamilton has Tommy Condell.

Why do we always blame the coaches?  It's obvious that Adam's and Arbuckle are simply better overall QB's than Streveler is.  Once again many of you have been tricked by "fools gold". 

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

Why do we always blame the coaches?  It's obvious that Adam's and Arbuckle are simply better overall QB's than Streveler is.  Once again many of you have been tricked by "fools gold". 

Interesting that our passing production was same with a vet QB.  You don't see any systemic issue?  I don't believe Adams or Arbuckle would do anything in this offense and it's hard to judge Streveler too, obviously has had some spectacular moments but no consistency.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Interesting that our passing production was same with a vet QB.  You don't see any systemic issue?  I don't believe Adams or Arbuckle would do anything in this offense and it's hard to judge Streveler too, obviously has had some spectacular moments but no consistency.

The main difference is both these QB's can stretch the field with their arms and more particularly the accuracy of their arms.  More often than not, when Streveler attempts a deep pass.  It's not on target or it's intercepted.  That is the difference.   Streveler  will never be that kind of QB. 

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

The main difference is both these QB's can stretch the field with their arms and more particularly the accuracy of their arms.  More often than not, when Streveler attempts a deep pass.  It's not on target or it's intercepted.  That is the difference.   Streveler  will never be that kind of QB. 

Impossible to tell unless they are put in each other's shoes. Both Calgary and Montreal have better receivers than us, but that's not the point. We are built to run the ball 30 - 40 times a game and that is what we have to do, not ask Strev to be Adams or Arbuckle. 

7 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Disagree.  Hamilton runs a system where they use protection (often max, 7 blockers) and route combinations to open up the downfield passing game.  Both their QB's are throwing underneath coverage to a receiver that is now all alone on that side of the field, throw a rainbow the receiver will find it.  Probably 90% of their passing yards are on those plays and dynamic screens with lots of YAC.

That's a system that is inflating to a QB, it's a modified run and shoot, it is a great system for a QB and makes it quite easy for them, not relying on them to thread a needle, and it doesn't need a successful run game to create space, the screen game functions that way.

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Don't get me wrong.  Lapo is definitely a big part of the problem but IMO Streveler is not  starting QB material.   But I'll give him the next few games to change my opinion. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Head Coach Ray Jauch couldn't get the Bombers into the Grey Cup despite having a great team & 3 second place finishes in a row with 10-6, 11-5 & 11-5 records in 1980, 81 & 82. He left. Within TWO SEASONS we won the 1984 Grey Cup with HC Cal Murphy. You don't sit still after 5 seasons. Something's gotta give. 

CFL history is rife with great regular season teams that couldn't deliver in the playoffs. Just from a purely mathematical perspective, if this current regime keeps punching playoff tickets, sooner or later a championship will happen. People here are underestimating the importance of being a competent and respectable organization, helps bring in talent and keep it here.

I do not believe that O'Shea warrants another year, let alone 3. He chose his assistants and damned few have shone. What evidence is there that the next ones he would choose would be any better? Why have the systemic problems in the offence and defence been allowed to continue? Early on in O'Shea's regime, it became obvious that he was slow to change and rigidly, blindly loyal/stubborn, and it was speculated that this would be his downfall. And so it has been. His judgement has been repeatedly shown to be poor. And to those who are saying that if O'Shea gets canned, we are are going to go back to the dark ages of Reinbold, Burke, Daly et al, Walters has shown himself to be able to build a good organization and he ought to be able to find a good replacement for O'Shea. Status quo is not good enough- we are no closer to the Cup than we were three years ago. I think the talent is there, save perhaps at the QB position, but at this point the team has to have lost confidence in their coaches.

1 hour ago, Carlos Harper said:

Respectfully disagree. Bombers have signed plenty of vets and have relied heavily on free agency to build the team.  

The solid foundation you speak of is not there imo. Team is littered with entry level contracts and first year starters. No prospects outside the CFL to speak of.

It's a tribute to Stanley Bryant that he has been able to stay healthy at 35. The long snapper is 38 and still has a spot on the roster for another year. 

Good luck to them the rest of the way but even if they win the cup I would still be doubtful that long term success with this group is guaranteed.

Don’t know what your game is - don’t waste your time quoting me. 

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Both of these guys were cut by other teams. Arbuckle was cut by the Lions.

Adams cut and traded several times. Probably at the end of his career. and yet with the right coach, turns out he's a good QB. As is Arbuckle. Again with good coaching.

That's why we blame our coaches.

using about one roll out in a game, with an inexperienced,  mobile quarterback, is not good coaching. Having a young mobile quarterback try to be mainly a pocket passer, is not good coaching.

Edited by Mark F

So the slow drip of Rider arrogance in my personal and work life begins. Texts, hangouts from work google, sigh. Even when I have become numb to what the Bombers to do me as a fan, I still have to get it from these yokels. 4 championships in 100 years and these ass clowns think they're the , what, Steelers? Cowboys? 

I don't know what to think of all this, in the morning after. I tend to think that this season is basically done with because Streveler is on par with Jennings right now. It's beyond words to say what this season has done to me as a fan. I was so hopeful about the season I planned a road trip to Winnipeg for the Banjo Bowl, we started 5-0, and honestly I think like a lot of you, I thought this was finally the year. Hell, the Grey Cup was even in Calgary. So to say I'm crushed right now, is an understatement and I can probably assume a lot of you reading this are feeling the same way.

With a nights rest and a clear head I start to think about next season. I honestly don't know what to do. One of the rebukes of regime change is "who would take over". Saskatchewan is doing just fine with a new head coach, so is Montreal. BC not so much, but even then I would wonder if we played again what would happen. BC looks great lately and may catch Edmonton for a cross over. Maybe. I don't know who's available, and I wish I knew who the next Huff was so I could tell the Bomber brass. I'm at my wits end with this club. I think the easiest thing for a lot of us would be just totally erase expectations and be passionless towards the results. I don't know how to be that kind of fan. When the Bombers win I feel great joy, and when they lose, especially against our rivals, it feels bad. Isn't that what sports is supposed to be?

I wonder about that with our guys. Miller, MOS, Walters. Do they feel the sting that we do when the Bombers lose? Or do they shrug it off and go to a fancy little Osborne Village restaurant and toast their "success" as management and to the stability of their positions? I think what we need right now is management who hates to lose, not just love to win. I want someone running this team that when we lose the LDC the way we did this year to go into the locker room and kick over the garbage can. Call out the players for letting it happen and let them know it's unacceptable. Right now it seems like we're coddling our players like misbehaving toddlers. They take a **** in their pants when company is over and instead of spanking them or sending them to bed without supper, we hold them and tell them their special. That their bowel movement is special. 

It's only October 6th, the team is a lock for a playoff spot, yet we know it's next year season. It's like a zombie movie where someone you love has been bitten and they're still a person for a little while longer. How sad, and what a waste.

Edited by White Out

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Do you think it’s possible - for every QB that is recruited by the Bombers to be fool’s gold? 

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

CFL history is rife with great regular season teams that couldn't deliver in the playoffs. Just from a purely mathematical perspective, if this current regime keeps punching playoff tickets, sooner or later a championship will happen. People here are underestimating the importance of being a competent and respectable organization, helps bring in talent and keep it here.

No need to nuke it, Walters has done a fine job of building our national and international scouting departments which are really the keys to everything. Coaching staffs are hired to be fired, that's just how it is. 

14 minutes ago, White Out said:

It's like a zombie movie where someone you love has been bitten and they're still a person for a little while longer. How sad, and what a waste.

Whilst this is a chillingly accurate analogy, I would argue that more playoff runs, more meaningful games (this time of year) is still a step in the right direction. I would not be in favor of jettisoning this team, for the first time in a decade (at least that I can remember) we clinched a playoff spot before October even began, there's been way too many years where we were technically alive around now, but needed outside help.

As for getting too high or too low on a team after wins and losses, I don't let it bug me too much. It is just entertainment after all... who won the 1995 Grey Cup? Yeah, I can't remember either. I know it wasn't the Bombers (only because I'm a fan and know of their current drought), but that's about it. My point is, at the end of the day, it's just entertainment, don't let it seep too much into your life.

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

Impossible to tell unless they are put in each other's shoes. Both Calgary and Montreal have better receivers than us, but that's not the point. We are built to run the ball 30 - 40 times a game and that is what we have to do, not ask Strev to be Adams or Arbuckle. 

...and we don't even manage that.

I’m reserving any judgment on our QB situation until they get rid of the O.C. He is making a mockery of how to run an offence.

Everybody talks how stubborn O’Shea is, but barely mention that LaPo thinks everything he does is right, and the way to a successful outcome is to stick with his game plans, even though it’s painfully obvious that what he plans does not work. 

Trying to turn Streveler into what LaPo wants in a QB as opposed to using his assets, is beyond asinine. Play into his strong points and let the opposition try and stop him. Instead we see exactly what opposing teams want...Streveler in the pocket. 

Turn him loose, let him have fun again.

How frustrating it must be for the players on offence to know what they can do, as opposed to what they are being told to do, and knowing full well..it’s not working. 

We don’t use our weapons...that’s what sad.

47 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Do you think it’s possible - for every QB that is recruited by the Bombers to be fool’s gold? 

Not sure but this fanbase seems to have a permanent hard on for the back up and throwing the #1 out with the trash.  Yet they more often then not disappoint us.

So lets say you get your wish and Osh is given the boot at the end of the season.  Who do you want as the next head coach?  And please don't spit out names like Dave Dickenson who isn't going anywhere.  

I honestly can't think of anyone right now except maybe Khari but I'm still not sold on him but if I had to pick someone I'd have to put him on the list.  I'm not sure of his contract situation but he might be interested to be positioned closer to his vancouver home. 

5 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

So lets say you get your wish and Osh is given the boot at the end of the season.  Who do you want as the next head coach?  And please don't spit out names like Dave Dickenson who isn't going anywhere.  

I honestly can't think of anyone right now except maybe Khari but I'm still not sold on him but if I had to pick someone I'd have to put him on the list.  I'm not sure of his contract situation but he might be interested to be positioned closer to his vancouver home. 

Let's keep LaPo & Hall too while we're at it I mean, who are they gonna get? Besides, it's all about rewarding your friends even if they don't do the job they are hired to do. And don't say Tommy Condell who will be Head Coach somewhere else because we kept O'Shea. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

The old 'you can't fire a guy unless you know who his replacement is and that replacement will guaranteed to be better. As there are no guarantees, we should keep the current guy' argument.

First things first. Is MOS the guy we want to run the team for the next 3 years? Will he bring back his current OC and DC? Will he bring back Nichols and/or Streveler? Will he change anything if he gets 3 more years?

Second thing: No one knows who might be as good or better. How many, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, thought that Dickenson in Regina or Khari in Montreal were going to have the level of success that they've had? There were no guarantees that Steinauer was going to be good either. Lots of folks thought Claybrooks was going to be the next big thing at HC.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Let's keep LaPo & Hall too while we're at it I mean, who are they gonna get? Besides, it's all about rewarding your friends even if they don't do the job they are hired to do. And don't say Tommy Condell who will be Head Coach somewhere else because we kept O'Shea. 

WTF...I don't understand why your going off like that. I'm just trying to steer the conversation towards who is going to be the replacement as I'm sick and tired of the should we or shouldn't we conversation.  

Where did you see that I want keep Lapo and Hall?  Holy crap man!