Crossover Standings after Week 13

DougR

yeah...and at 5-3 we did as well....by all accounts both here and in media...things are cyclical and can turn in an instant.

I wouldn't say Mass is a great HC..nor is Benevidies a great DC....Their defense was just as suspect, if not more than ours I think...and still is....our defense struggles lately are due more to fatigue and having to do too much for a lagging offence.

You get this team's Ol-line back intact, and run an offence similar to the first 3rd of the season and things don't seem so dire..

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Edmonton's defense isn't much better than ours, but their offense is way better.

How are they "way" better?

Even after these last 3 dismal outings, we are tied at the top of offensive categories with 3 a piece. 

Take off the hate goggles and try to look objectively.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Even after these last 3 dismal outings, we are tied at the top of offensive categories with 3 a piece. 

Reilly vs Nichols

Williams...Hazelton...Stafford vs Demski...Adams...Thompkins??

Their offense is miles ahead of ours besides the run game.

5 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

OMG, Edm put up 48 points against a very good Calgary D. Our offense couldn't dream of doing that. Edm's offence is WAY better.

14 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

7 turnovers - Calgary..24 points

I expect better from you, sir, if you are somehow insinuating Edm's offence wasn't full credit for putting up 48 points on Calgary. You know very well that when you get a turnover you have to capitalize on it. They did. 

Offensive PPG: Edmonton 29.1   Winnipeg 27.8

Offensive TDs: Edmonton 40  Winnipeg 36

Net Offense: Edmonton 414.9  Winnipeg 368.8

Passing TDs: Edmonton 26 Winnipeg 21

First Downs: Edmonton 281 Winnipeg 265

Two and Outs: Edmonton 47 Winnipeg 60

Interceptions Thrown: Winnipeg 16 Edmonton 11

Rushing TDs: Winnipeg 15 Edmonton 14

I'm going to call BS on those claiming our offense is on par with Edmonton's.

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Even with equal or better stats, they would still be better, due to the constant threat of explosion plays. 

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If you are arguing that the edmonton passing game is better than Winnipegs OK, but why you leaving out the rushing numbers? 

Even so it seems that things are much closer than you are making it seem... 1.3 PPG difference, that's even with the massive, massive slump the Bombers have been in the last month, 4 TDs different, seems to me we got a comparable offense. 

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎09 at 8:36 PM, DR. CFL said:

Does the Sask offence suck....absolutely......how many turnovers and points off of turnovers did Wpg have last year? How many games did Wpg have to kick 5 or 6 fgs to win last season.....better still the 88 and 90 Cup teams won because of their defences. 

offense sells tickets, defense wins championships

58 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Those, along with turnovers, are the important stats.  Points obviously are what counts at the end of the day, but 7 points on a 27 yard drive after big D stop and Demski return count the same as 7 scored on a 90 yard drive that takes 6 minutes.  The impact on the game is very different.  How many of those drives have we had?  We score on short fields....sometimes.   If we lose field position, we get killed.  If our offense and special teams are dominant we can have a game against a good team and still lose in a disappointing fashion as our offense both gives points away and leaves a bunch on the field with turnovers and inefficiency, sometimes on the same drive. Our offense has been next to useless all season.  They can't even consistently put together 2-3 first downs a possession, at least against anyone but the Argos and Als.

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Sorry man, come on.  Most important player on the field is qb, you either have one or you don't.  They do and you don't. Reilly is a winner hands down. Not throwing up lame ass INT's because he is scared he is going to get hit. 

15 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Fair enough, my point still stands though, currently the bombers are in control of their own destiny - and do not need outside help. I agree though that things look dire, but it's just been alot of doom and gloom around here lately. Further to my earlier point of all hope not being lost =after 12 games, last years' Grey Cup champs (the Argos) were also 5-7. The Redblacks the year before (2016) were slightly better at 6-5-1, my point is simply that the Bombers are still very much in the playoff race, despite their current efforts to be down and out. In the CFL it isn't how you start, it's how you finish...just look at the 2011 BC Lions.

Thank you very much. I guess what concerns me the most is that the Bombers not having beaten a .500+ team.  It’s not that I don’t think they have the players I just think we don’t have the leadership right now. Unlike many of the folks here right now I do believe that Nichols can take this team to a championship. In the last two games though the play calling and unchecking of Matt’s uncharacteristic move to forcing more plays/try to force production plays have been his undoing. That last game especially he was doing crap he rarely had been doing. Is he feeling pressure from the fan base/press or is it that there are other facets of the offence and the external pressure that have forced this uncharacteristic play. Our receivers seem to stand out amongst other teams in not giving our QB (either of them) targets when under pressure. We seem to have one guy short and the rest try and get open deep. The Bombers kept trying exploit off tackle with run when most production was between tackles. Why are the Bombers the only team that doesn’t run quick slants? Why is it that aside from Dressler the only guys that produce YAC yards are our young Canucks sitting on the bench? How is it that our oline would leave guys like Jefferson free to step back into a passing lane unchallenged? Why on the same play is it the guy 30 yards deep the only guy besides one OL the guys to try and chase down that same DL?

Right now the QBs think they have to do it all themselves and that is why they are not producing wins, just a pile of turnovers. 

I also don’t absolve our defence. Yes, lack of second half offence is not helping but in few of these games they weren’t able to shut the other team down despite not having been on the field that long. I can understand a fourth quarter collapse but not showing signs of weakness in the middle of the third when to that point they have not been on the field that long. The Banjo Bowl is the only game since the Hamilton win that they stayed in the whole game.

So, that is why at this time I think the Bombers are less in control of their destiny right now. That being said you are right they are still in the race with time to stay in the race. However, they are going to have to really stir the pot and change direction quickly because two more losses and they will be in serious doo-doo.

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Those, along with turnovers, are the important stats.  Points obviously are what counts at the end of the day, but 7 points on a 27 yard drive after big D stop and Demski return count the same as 7 scored on a 90 yard drive that takes 6 minutes.  The impact on the game is very different.  How many of those drives have we had?  We score on short fields....sometimes.   If we lose field position, we get killed.  If our offense and special teams are dominant we can have a game against a good team and still lose in a disappointing fashion as our offense both gives points away and leaves a bunch on the field with turnovers and inefficiency, sometimes on the same drive. Our offense has been next to useless all season.  They can't even consistently put together 2-3 first downs a possession, at least against anyone but the Argos and Als.

And who has had the much tougher schedule to date? Winnipeg is just getting to the tough games now and we saw how we did against Sask., Cal. Let's see what these stats look like at season's end.

37 minutes ago, Ripper said:

offense sells tickets, defense wins championships

You need both to get the ring. Sask has a solid D but they really need to get their offence untracked. Their line is playing pretty good ball and they have some very good receivers but they don’t seem to get the ball consistently enough. I have to admit that I am surprised that the offence is so middling. No offence intended but I don’t see Sask getting to the GC unless they can get more production like they did in the Calgary game. 

2 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

You need both to get the ring. Sask has a solid D but they really need to get their offence untracked. Their line is playing pretty good ball and they have some very good receivers but they don’t seem to get the ball consistently enough. I have to admit that I am surprised that the offence is so middling. No offence intended but I don’t see Sask getting to the GC unless they can get more production like they did in the Calgary game. 

I wasn't referring to our team this year.  Its just a old saying.  We need to get some offense going to be a serious contender this year.  We haven't been good enough to date