The Collapse

Floyd

3 hours ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

The pass may have been catchable. However, it was underthrown! Adams had to slow to almost a stop which allowed the two defenders time to catch up and throw a few arms and hands into the fray. 

Nichols was a second or so late getting it there as he was open. Had it been delivered a second or so earlier he'd have been gone. 

Moe had one bad game out of our 10...he's hardly a concern whatsoever, and hasn't lost a step..was a total defensive scheme collapse all around...If anything the use and play of Loffler is hurting this team more than anything...he seems so slow...and stiff....big hits be dammned (way things are going league wise anyway a big hit will probably get flagged)

I think he needs to be replaced for a game or two and put in the more athletic Conteh or Morgan and let them play a traditional safety role, because as it is now, he is offer minimum help to the DB's coverage wise and in open space with a receiver running after the catch he almost looks comical and lost out there...not to mention looking like he is plodding through deep wet sand

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Moe had one bad game out of our 10...he's hardly a concern whatsoever, and hasn't lost a step..was a total defensive scheme collapse all around...If anything the use and play of Loffler is hurting this team more than anything...he seems so slow...and stiff....big hits be dammned (way things are going league wise anyway a big hit will probably get flagged)

I think he needs to be replaced for a game or two and put in the more athletic Conteh or Morgan and let them play a traditional safety role, because as it is now, he is offer minimum help to the DB's coverage wise and in open space with a receiver running after the catch he almost looks comical and lost out there...not to mention looking like he is plodding through deep wet sand

Good for Moe for owning his poor play. That’s veteran leadership. And I agree, in the grand scheme of Bomber woes, he’s not the problem. Better than Nichols passive aggressive shots at his receivers. Have to agree with Stegall on that one – they’re not complaining publicly about the one-hoppers and overthrows that they’re getting from Nichols.

Loffler has been an enigma. What happened to him? Wonky knees finally giving out? Because as a safety you need to either cover, hit or be a ball hawk – he’s doing none. He’s Cauchy Muamba level now.  Somebody hop in a time machine and get me Paul Bennett.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Signing Landon Rice and plugging him in at RT would help...

Still think Loffler would be better off at WIL backing up or rotating with JSK 

Agreed, and Loffler might do well at WIL. I recall a local boy Leo Ezerins who came into camp as a tight end and became a decent linebacker.

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Agreed, and Loffler might do well at WIL. I recall a local boy Leo Ezerins who came into camp as a tight end and became a decent linebacker.

I agree too.  When a defense is struggling, there is nothing better than to play people out of their positions because there's no way that anything could possibly go wrong with that strategy.

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Landon Rice is of no help...30 yr old who has never really started anywhere...we'd be better off with Neuf at tackle and Couture at guard if we wanted to go that silly route

No more outlandish than suggesting Brendan Morgan or a raw rookie like Conteh will come in and make a difference in a Richie Hall D...

👁‍🗨Good Bomber 1st half. Much less predictable play calling..spreading the ball around..leaving Streveler in to make a play. Played on par with the mighty Stamps.

Actually led the game for over 37 minutes. 

Then..

Then the collapse. I agree with many, too predictable. With all the knowledge that LaPolice possesses you’d think he could mix plays a lot better. 

👁‍🗨The abandoning of our high tempo game does not suit us. Nichols plays that well.

From Ed Tait:

But their next seven possessions featured an interception and six consecutive punts. That ineffective chunk featured 29 plays totalling just 70 yards.

Calgary matched that by putting up 16 points on their ensuing possessions, which included 39 plays covering 246 yards.

I'm a bit surprised at how LaPolice's game plans (or lack thereof) have received little to no criticism in consecutive weeks. No doubt the players have to execute but what they're being expected to execute has sure been pretty shoddy.

He seems to have shied away from what's worked. I wish I knew why.

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

No more outlandish than suggesting Brendan Morgan or a raw rookie like Conteh will come in and make a difference in a Richie Hall D...

It is actually...They don't have to be a difference maker to play a standard safety role...something they have been doing and have the athleticism to do...Safety in Canadian ball is probably the easiest position to play on defense..you need to be able to have the speed to close a gap and flow to the ball on the deeper passes...or move up on a run after your protection responsibilities are no longer needed...ie...the ball is being ran. YOu

Morgan and Conteh are more than capable of doing that..(both have played corner..so can run with a WR) you read the QB and don't fall for look offs...if you ask me..Loffler doesn't have the skill set to play the normal safety role as he doesn't have the skills to read a play in the normal safety spot to flow to a ball to break it up..assist in coverage over the top or read it fast enough to jump a route...The staff here fell in love with the big hits in yr one and as per usual..stick with their guy until it's a foregone conclusion the player is sub par

Safety for a lack of a better description is your last line of defence and an area where you can hide a lesser talented player if they are properly coached and know the role...why do you thin that for decades generally the safety was the only place you usually saw a Canadian in a defensive back field??..there is/was a reason...it's EASY to play

O-line is your first line of defense..and if you have a guy that is sub-par there..well you have all seen the results of that..

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

It is actually...They don't have to be a difference maker to play a standard safety role...something they have been doing and have the athleticism to do...Safety in Canadian ball is probably the easiest position to play on defense..you need to be able to have the speed to close a gap and flow to the ball on the deeper passes...or move up on a run after your protection responsibilities are no longer needed...ie...the ball is being ran. YOu

Morgan and Conteh are more than capable of doing that..(both have played corner..so can run with a WR) you read the QB and don't fall for look offs...if you ask me..Loffler doesn't have the skill set to play the normal safety role as he doesn't have the skills to read a play in the normal safety spot to flow to a ball to break it up..assist in coverage over the top or read it fast enough to jump a route...The staff here fell in love with the big hits in yr one and as per usual..stick with their guy until it's a foregone conclusion the player is sub par

Safety for a lack of a better description is your last line of defence and an area where you can hide a lesser talented player if they are properly coached and know the role...why do you thin that for decades generally the safety was the only place you usually saw a Canadian in a defensive back field??..there is/was a reason...it's EASY to play

O-line is your first line of defense..and if you have a guy that is sub-par there..well you have all seen the results of that..

The challenge is that your argument against Rice is the same argument that was against Hardrick...  journeyman, never starting, etc...

I see a larger drop off from Hardrick to Foketi than others are seeing - mostly in communication...  so I just don't see much difference whether its a Landon Rice learning curve or Foketi.

Loffler made sense last year when the whole team was making up for Hurl's lack of talent... AND you had Heath jumping routes - a legit experienced Boundary HB... we don't have that - we have good HBs but not CFL vets who can change a game

I thought Bighill would be the difference maker in Hall's system - a la Mo Lloyd - but something is still missing...  either need vet HBs or an experienced Safety...

Morgan was terrible when he played, Conteh is a complete unknown - both will make rookie mistakes...

My point is that Safety 'should' be the easiest position to play but Hall's hybrid mix of zone and man requires a guy with real CFL instincts

17 hours ago, Floyd said:

Well yes...  maybe perfect is too strong but it was a good pass - just over defenders and right in Darvin's hands... obviously over the shoulder would have been better but its still at absolutely catchable ball

I'm not being an apologist for Nichols - but I'm not going to lay the whole game on him...

Edit:  Watched it again...  yeah its not a perfect pass - Stamp got his hand in there...  can't totally blame Adams

yeah maybe watch a little closer next time. Under threw him by 10 yards/

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The challenge is that your argument against Rice is the same argument that was against Hardrick...  journeyman, never starting, etc...

I see a larger drop off from Hardrick to Foketi than others are seeing - mostly in communication...  so I just don't see much difference whether its a Landon Rice learning curve or Foketi.

Loffler made sense last year when the whole team was making up for Hurl's lack of talent... AND you had Heath jumping routes - a legit experienced Boundary HB... we don't have that - we have good HBs but not CFL vets who can change a game

I thought Bighill would be the difference maker in Hall's system - a la Mo Lloyd - but something is still missing...  either need vet HBs or an experienced Safety...

Morgan was terrible when he played, Conteh is a complete unknown - both will make rookie mistakes...

My point is that Safety 'should' be the easiest position to play but Hall's hybrid mix of zone and man requires a guy with real CFL instincts

Hardrick was 25 when we told him to drop a few pounds and come to camp..and also had many games as a starter under his belt..and was trained at a top notch NCAA school..Rice is 30 already, and has shown squat really...and came from UofM...No knock on Canadian schools...bu C'mon man! big difference

Morgan was hardly terrible and Conteh is only a second yr guy...but is hardly an unknown...they aren't rookies and from experience..safety is a place you can with stand a mistake here and there and not get yer backside handed to you for colossal losses...

Just now, Booch said:

Hardrick was 25 when we told him to drop a few pounds and come to camp..and also had many games as a starter under his belt..and was trained at a top notch NCAA school..Rice is 30 already, and has shown squat really...and came from UofM...No knock on Canadian schools...bu C'mon man! big difference

Morgan was hardly terrible and Conteh is only a second yr guy...but is hardly an unknown...they aren't rookies and from experience..safety is a place you can with stand a mistake here and there and not get yer backside handed to you for colossal losses...

I don't remember Hardrick being a starter?  Hmm... could be wrong

I just want Leggett there...  or maybe even Fenner...  Randle-Sayles-Leggett-Alexander-Conteh maybe...?

6 hours ago, Booch said:

On that catch and run where Jordan had him turned inside and out and around... wow did he look bad.  I'm thinking his hips are not nearly as loose enough to move fast enough to keep up with top flight receivers.  that was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I don’t believe Loffler of 2018 can tackle well enough to play there.  I felt he was more suited to the WIL spot early in his career because he’s prettt awful in coverage and slower, but he can’t finish a play to save his life this season.  They’ve been throwing him near the line and blitzing him a lot in the last 3 games and he’s still struggling like crazy.

Personally I’m going all import on D and starting another NI receiver.  Trying to deal Loffler and/or a pick for a reasonable NI DL that we can rotate in to have a NI spot back on D.

YEAH...that was the one that really cemented it for me...stiff stiff hips...and not sure if it's knee issues as well...or in his head to not over do it to cut and pivot for fear of re-injury...but yeah...he look way out of place...dare I say wayy outmatched for pro ball...it was bad

Also as a safety he doesn't have the closing speed or take good angles to a ball carrier to close ground...for all the Morgan detractors out there...he has that in spades and in no way would hurt us out there...probably be of more use as he would be able to get over in protection to help out a DB and bust up a play...much like happens to us all the time...over the top help..trust me teams scheme against us because we don't have a saftey who can do that....