Bob Wylie’s gut moving in synchronization with the snap count on HBO Hard Knocks

yogi

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When I weighed 315 lbs & lost 120 lbs after & got down to 195 lbs . I know what shaming & teasing is all about. I lost the weight over a 1 1/2 year period from 2010 thru 2011.  I kept the weight off for 4 years & thought I had my weight problems licked until I had to have foot surgery in July of 2015  & developed a serious post op infection with the titanium hardware that was inserted to reconstruct & fuse the bones in my right foot that had deformed because of arthritis. Without going into sordid details, a four month recovery turned into a painful 18 month ordeal of which 10 months was spent absolutely bedridden unable to walk. As well as 3 extended trips to the hospital when my foot infection raged out of control & I needed treatment badly.  It took me another 8 months to be able to walk again so I could return to work. 

I gained a ton of weight back during those 18 months when I was bedridden & sedentary as now I'm disabled . For the first 6 weeks or so after surgery  I went on a low cal diet to keep my weight down. But as time went on & the infection set in & being confined to bed then I became depressed & started to eat again. The weight came back.  I now use a cane but can't walk very far, stand for more than a couple of minutes  or do any physical activity anymore.  It's a struggle to get back to where I was before my surgery at 215 lbs when I was active & could move. I weigh 273 lbs now. I am planning on getting on a healthier diet & head back to the gym in the next couple of weeks & start out lightly on the cardio equipment to see what I can & can't do. I am self conscious as all the guys I lifted with haven't seen me in 3 years & I know the reaction I'll get from some of them will be,  "WTF happened to you???"

I made some of the same mistakes Bob Wylie did & over the years my weight just kept creeping up. It took 25 years to get to that point. I went from 185 lbs at age 30 in 1985 to where I was 315 in 2010 & took action. It's a huge disappointment that I have to start over again but my comfort is I did it once  so I can do it again.

People were always making comments about my weight before I lost it. Some were trying to be funny while others were assholes.  I know what it feels like to be shamed or laughed at & I never liked it.  Trust me, when I say Bob Wylie has probably reached a point in his life where he thinks he can't change so it's a lost cause. We're about the same age. Been there. Felt that. 

I hear ya. When I was in my 20's I was 6'6" and around 245 lbs. In my 30's I got as high as 370lbs although it was a fairly trim 370 I still got lots of stares and commentary from people. "Hide the buffet" and such comments were meant to be good natured ribbing from friends but it kind of sucked. The last few years I have been exercising and lifting weights a lot more and have trimmed down to a reasonable 260 lbs. I could probably get lower but I do not overly watch my diet so this is probably as good as it gets. I know the feeling of being overweight, how easy it can happen, and how tough it is to lose excess weight. It's not a joke for those that know this.

30 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

although it was a fairly trim 370

I hate to break it to you, but at 370 you aren't fairly trim. 

I mean biggest i ever got was 6'4 about 260 and yeah I was feeling chubby. I'm around 240 now and ideally I'd be probably 225 but I like beer and pizza too much so I'll live with my current figure. 

On 2018-08-23 at 11:02 AM, Brandon said:

You don't think the guy doesn't realize he's morbidly obese.   He has the money he has the resources it's a lifestyle choice. When you reach that weight it isn't genetics or an accident... that takes a long life of bad choices and I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets themselves in that situation.

I didn't laugh looking at Chris Farley's death photos on the net  but I most certainly laughed at the clips of him in Tommy Boy doing fat guy in a little coat.    So for this particular gif it's comical and a good laugh.

Having  once been as heavy as Wiley is now, and having had to deal with this all of my life, let me just say that it's a bit more complicated than "bad choices".  But hey, if looking at people's appearances and  then judging them is your thing, have fun!

23 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Having  once been as heavy as Wiley is now, and having had to deal with this all of my life, let me just say that it's a bit more complicated than "bad choices".  But hey, if looking at people's appearances and  then judging them is your thing, have fun!

People who get that big are generally the ones who are handicapped by genetics so they have to work harder than people to keep their weight down. I have a lot of sympathy for people in that situation because it can be a damned difficult cycle. They put in all the work and don't see the results they might expect and get depressed and stop putting in the effort. That's the most natural reaction in the world. 

There are too many people in this world who judge everyone without taking a moment to consider everything and that really annoys me. 

On 2018-08-22 at 8:15 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

if I was his HC I'd be strongly encouraging him to get help to lose weight or his employment may hinge on that.

To be completely honest with you, this statement right here is worse than the original video posted in my opinion. And Yes I did laugh at the video because it is funny. If it were me in that video, I would laugh as well and I would probably put a little more into it if I knew someone was recording it lol! I can probably do the same thing as Bob because I am 348lbs and 5'7. But I am built like an overweight bulldog lol!

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It is what it is. Just bad luck, I guess. I was going to delete my post above as I had second thoughts about letting y'all know about my physical ailments but it was too late. However, that's alright. Life throws curve balls at us all the time. It's what you do at bat  that counts. The game is far from the bottom of the 9th inning for me. Depression is a bad thing as I knew I was eating my way back to a bad place & didn't care. Dealing with terrible pain constantly & the inability to walk... food was my only comfort & not caring about the weight I gained back. With all the powerful pain meds I was on during that time I couldn't drink which was a good thing, let me tell you.  At least I had the sense to stay away from alcohol. Not saying Wylie was ever depressed but I sure can appreciate & understand how he got to where he is now. 

When I was young from my teens to my early 30's I was in shape & I laughed at fat people as well while vowing I'd never be like that ever & look what happened.  Anyway like I said, I'm not looking for sympathy. I just wanted to give my perspective on this. 

Don't be too hard on yourself. I believe a lot of it IS genetics. A throw back to our ancestor's times of going hungry and storing fat. Considering what you've been through, no one can judge you. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When I weighed 315 lbs & lost 120 lbs after & got down to 195 lbs . I know what shaming & teasing is all about. I lost the weight over a 1 1/2 year period from 2010 thru 2011.  I kept the weight off for 4 years & thought I had my weight problems licked until I had to have foot surgery in July of 2015  & developed a serious post op infection with the titanium hardware that was inserted to reconstruct & fuse the bones in my right foot that had deformed because of arthritis. Without going into sordid details, a four month recovery turned into a painful 18 month ordeal of which 10 months was spent absolutely bedridden unable to walk. As well as 3 extended trips to the hospital when my foot infection raged out of control & I needed treatment badly.  It took me another 8 months to be able to walk again so I could return to work. 

I gained a ton of weight back during those 18 months when I was bedridden & sedentary as now I'm disabled . For the first 6 weeks or so after surgery  I went on a low cal diet to keep my weight down. But as time went on & the infection set in & being confined to bed then I became depressed & started to eat again. The weight came back.  I now use a cane but can't walk very far, stand for more than a couple of minutes  or do any physical activity anymore.  It's a struggle to get back to where I was before my surgery at 215 lbs when I was active & could move. I weigh 273 lbs now. I am planning on getting on a healthier diet & head back to the gym in the next couple of weeks & start out lightly on the cardio equipment to see what I can & can't do. I am self conscious as all the guys I lifted with haven't seen me in 3 years & I know the reaction I'll get from some of them will be,  "WTF happened to you???"

I made some of the same mistakes Bob Wylie did & over the years my weight just kept creeping up. It took 25 years to get to that point. I went from 185 lbs at age 30 in 1985 to where I was 315 in 2010 & took action. It's a huge disappointment that I have to start over again but my comfort is I did it once  so I can do it again.

People were always making comments about my weight before I lost it. Some were trying to be funny while others were assholes.  I know what it feels like to be shamed or laughed at & I never liked it.  Trust me, when I say Bob Wylie has probably reached a point in his life where he thinks he can't change so it's a lost cause. We're about the same age. Been there. Felt that. 

I agree fat shaming is wrong and very hurtful.  Others might say 'well its a choice' and not have sympathy.  But its often a choice like being an alcoholic or drug addict is a choice.  Unlearning years of habits is tough.  Believe me.  I've been thin and I've been very fat and everywhere in between.  I went to Mexico in December and lost about 50 lbs before I went because of the motivation of the trip.  Not easy.  But it is easy to re-gain.

Its not just people eating chips and cookies all day.  

I suspect Bob is pretty active and is at a point in his life where he just doesnt care about doing the work (or seeking the medical help) to lose weight.  He probably doesnt feel that bad because he's active.  He will likely have a serious health issue at some point and then do something about it.

I used to know I needed to get in shape when I worked at the bar and the first thing a drunk would insult was my weight.  lol  I remember a girl I had dated, she moved away and then came back, came to the bar and told me I was too fat for her at that time.  We howled with laughter that she could be so vain.  I got the last laugh though *wink wink*.

Anyway, I know how you feel.  Its a daily battle.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Firekid said:

To be completely honest with you, this statement right here is worse than the original video posted in my opinion. And Yes I did laugh at the video because it is funny. If it were me in that video, I would laugh as well and I would probably put a little more into it if I knew someone was recording it lol! I can probably do the same thing as Bob because I am 348lbs and 5'7. But I am built like an overweight bulldog lol!

I laughed at the video because it was funny and I guarantee Bob would not be surprised to learn he's over-weight.  And I agree, can't threaten to fire a guy over his weight.  If it was me, I'd laugh too just as I'd laugh if there was a video of a different amusing "tick".  If it was a video of him at the beach laughing at his topless body, that would be shaming and very cruel.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree fat shaming is wrong and very hurtful.  Others might say 'well its a choice' and not have sympathy.  But its often a choice like being an alcoholic or drug addict is a choice.  Unlearning years of habits is tough.  Believe me.  I've been thin and I've been very fat and everywhere in between.  I went to Mexico in December and lost about 50 lbs before I went because of the motivation of the trip.  Not easy.  But it is easy to re-gain.

Its not just people eating chips and cookies all day.  

I suspect Bob is pretty active and is at a point in his life where he just doesnt care about doing the work (or seeking the medical help) to lose weight.  He probably doesnt feel that bad because he's active.  He will likely have a serious health issue at some point and then do something about it.

I used to know I needed to get in shape when I worked at the bar and the first thing a drunk would insult was my weight.  lol  I remember a girl I had dated, she moved away and then came back, came to the bar and told me I was too fat for her at that time.  We howled with laughter that she could be so vain.  I got the last laugh though *wink wink*.

Anyway, I know how you feel.  Its a daily battle.  Good luck!

Yeah, understand what you say. Same to you. Losing 50 lbs is awesome. I know how hard it is as I've done it. Now, I have to do it again. Hope you keep the weight off as well. 

5 hours ago, Firekid said:

It was just a statement more than anything. Let's just say as his boss,  I'd encourage him to do something about his health. 

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎24 at 12:57 PM, 17to85 said:

I hate to break it to you, but at 370 you aren't fairly trim. 

I mean biggest i ever got was 6'4 about 260 and yeah I was feeling chubby. I'm around 240 now and ideally I'd be probably 225 but I like beer and pizza too much so I'll live with my current figure. 

I was trim. Deal with it. lol

Of course I was overweight at 370, but I did have a lot of muscle mass. It wasn't all flab. It was more like a powerlifter 370 physique. I was an active 370 lber.

Edited by gcn11

hey you could be fairly trim at that height ...its all how you carry it..and the type of weight it is

I'm just a hair over 6 feet tall..and bounce between 265..270 pounds...and I don't look chubby or un-trim by any means...