Some observations

Booch

Bad game all around..but nothing to get panties in a wad about..every team this yr has served up a deuce or two..and at end of weekend we will still be in 3rd..and have the tie breaker on B.C and 2 wins up on them and should be 2 wins up on Sask

That being said...

1) this loss was totally on the coaching and not the players..from stubbornness to adjust and stupid decisions (putting Nichols back in..roster decisions) you can place this one squarely on the coaches. Sayles is not ready for prime time and was abused repeatedly yet we sit Fenner until the end..and he comes in and just makes plays..inexcusable and if that isnt changed for Cgy game I have lost a lot of faith and respect for the coaches 

2) hopefully this ends the Lankford experiment..proof is in the pudding and and he proved it..pathetic kick return results and receiving.. gimme a break! Drops and no real threat at all. As I mentioned before any traffic or contact he cant make the catch as seen on the 3rd down fail and if u have speed to get behind the defense. What good is it if you cant catch. The 3rd down gamble if it was Washington..he makes that grab and would have positioned himself to box out the defender..Lankford doesnt have that skill set. Also not sure if it just me but when ball is in his hands I just cringe thinking he gonna fumble it for some reason.

3) Lapo play calling...deviate for christ sakes and put players in the spots to make the plays..as in the above comment even tho Dressler is a smurf..he can and does make the tough catches in traffic so to put a questionable receiver in that spot for that play is inexcusable as well..Wolitarsky is better suited for that..not a Lankford

4) Roster...A db backfield that doent have Fenner or Leggett starting with Randle..Alexander and Fogg..for now is just stupid..Sayles hurts us and I know our coaching staff gets all hot and bothered by new upstart rookies..but c'mon.. he ain't ready yet and having it as it was last 2 games is not putting out our best roster.

Same with offence..If Dressler is still hurt then any receiving corp without Washinton or Flanders in that spot is again wasting talent and not giving us best option..Beat would be Washington as he gives a different body type and mismatch advantage and I will bet my left nut that once he is I bbn lineup..be tough to take him out..and I kinda like my left nut.

good time to get Flanders in the game. Offence  does  not seem to be the same without him.

I do not know why that is.

And Dressler, sure was a big loss. Take him out, offence immediately crashes.

Isn't Peterman a good candidate to run Dressler's routes Booch? 

Edited by Mark F

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

3) Lapo play calling...deviate for christ sakes and put players in the spots to make the plays..as in the above comment even tho Dressler is a smurf..he can and does make the tough catches in traffic so to put a questionable receiver in that spot for that play is inexcusable as well..Wolitarsky is better suited for that..not a Lankford

4) Roster...A db backfield that doent have Fenner or Leggett starting with Randle..Alexander and Fogg..for now is just stupid..Sayles hurts us and I know our coaching staff gets all hot and bothered by new upstart rookies..but c'mon.. he ain't ready yet and having it as it was last 2 games is not putting out our best roster.

Same with offence..If Dressler is still hurt then any receiving corp without Washinton or Flanders in that spot is again wasting talent and not giving us best option..Beat would be Washington as he gives a different body type and mismatch advantage and I will bet my left nut that once he is I bbn lineup..be tough to take him out..and I kinda like my left nut.

Agree about Wolitarsky and/or Washington/Flanders...  also want the 2RB sets back...

Sayles is getting abused but what would you think about him at Field HB with Alexander at Corner instead of Fogg...

What's your view of Loffler?  He still seems a step behind - would Leggett at S make a difference?

It looks like they have Loffler playing a non traditional role as a safety..why..not sure.. and is he capable of doing it?..not sure again as I don't know what his responsibilities are supposed to be.

Sayles just needs to learn the game..league.. and players.. so he is getting abused bad cause of it..and with a defensive backfield.. if one guy is suffering it really hurts the overall unit as guys overcompensate..and also it just allows too much room in the weak spot.

2 back sets are fine..but we need to pull defenders out of the box and show verticle threat and more layered routes.. we send a token guy deep(ish) and rest are all in the short dump and immediate second level area..and most times usually within the hashes..congests everything and limits a lot of big play stuff as too many defenders in area..

What edm or Calgary how they spread it..and have guys get huge yac up the middle or with crossing patterns..they get the ball and 9 times out of ten have just the man on him to beat.. and if they do open field.. but us..guy makes a catch and within 5-6 yards are multiple defenders to contend with..look back at games and see how many times we have had guys catch in stride with room to romp..I can think of maybe twice?

Our Offensive scheme is good if u have some variation and layers to it..but we dont..and teams now see it and will adapt and stifle it 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Bad game all around..but nothing to get panties in a wad about..every team this yr has served up a deuce or two..and at end of weekend we will still be in 3rd..and have the tie breaker on B.C and 2 wins up on them and should be 2 wins up on Sask

That being said...

1) this loss was totally on the coaching and not the players..from stubbornness to adjust and stupid decisions (putting Nichols back in..roster decisions) you can place this one squarely on the coaches. Sayles is not ready for prime time and was abused repeatedly yet we sit Fenner until the end..and he comes in and just makes plays..inexcusable and if that isnt changed for Cgy game I have lost a lot of faith and respect for the coaches 

2) hopefully this ends the Lankford experiment..proof is in the pudding and and he proved it..pathetic kick return results and receiving.. gimme a break! Drops and no real threat at all. As I mentioned before any traffic or contact he cant make the catch as seen on the 3rd down fail and if u have speed to get behind the defense. What good is it if you cant catch. The 3rd down gamble if it was Washington..he makes that grab and would have positioned himself to box out the defender..Lankford doesnt have that skill set. Also not sure if it just me but when ball is in his hands I just cringe thinking he gonna fumble it for some reason.

I wouldn't say totally. The coaches weren't the ones taking stupid, undisciplined penalties that kept Ottawa drives going. 

22 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

I wouldn't say totally. The coaches weren't the ones taking stupid, undisciplined penalties that kept Ottawa drives going. 

Well other than that yeah I agree...I forgot to mention that part..I think that was a frustration thing..aberration you can say.. this has been the most disciplined team all year..it wont have done a 180 like that overnight..I think that's the least of the worries. 

Fogg yeah had a bad game too..but not knowing the protections on some of the plays..hard to determine the breakdowns tho on 2 plays he got roasted nicely.

37 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Only a few of the penalties were really stupid ...  many of them were fringe calls by the ref.   Which was annoying because they didn't make those same fringe calls on the Redblacks for some blatant holds...

Hard to judge the DB's harshly given the amount they have Bighill, JSK, Leggett and Loffler blitzing on passing downs.  They literally have no support under or over most of the time.  That's why the back shoulder stuff and double moves are killing them.  

I'd like to see Leggett and Fenner both starting, one at safety, one at SAM.  Play with a more traditional look.  Less blitzing Bighill and JSK too.  Use them more in coverage.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎19 at 1:06 PM, Mark F said:

good time to get Flanders in the game. Offence  does  not seem to be the same without him.

I do not know why that is.

And Dressler, sure was a big loss. Take him out, offence immediately crashes.

Isn't Peterman a good candidate to run Dressler's routes Booch? 

Petermann is an excellent choice to replace Dressler. Imagine if O'Shea was Joe Poplawski's HC back in 1978, he'd never have seen the field & been CFLROTY, a CFL western Conference All Star & All Canadian. He may never have developed into a HOF receiver. O'Shea's misguided trust in Lankford while stifling Petermann's growth is absolutely mind boggling. 

I don't know if I agree.  With four losses half way through the season, with the Stampeders up next, the Bombers are in a bad position.  There has to be a major change.  A victory over Calgary this weekend would signal that change.  If it doesn't happen ..... 

2 hours ago, DougR said:

I don't know if I agree.  With four losses half way through the season, with the Stampeders up next, the Bombers are in a bad position.  There has to be a major change.  A victory over Calgary this weekend would signal that change.  If it doesn't happen ..... 

Despite the Stamps' implosion last game, the Bombers are going to have their hands full with them. I don't know if, given the current state of affairs in Bomberland, a win is likely, but they have to show they can compete. Another blowout loss would make the locals here very unhappy.

At just 5' 6" and 160 lbs Rich Hall was a CFL All-Star and 3 time GC Champ. He proves that there is a place for the small DB's of the world and it's right here in the Peg. I have every confidence that Rich Hall is the man for the job and knows exactly what he is doing. We shouldn't be criticizing a man of his credentials, they speak for themselves.  

6 hours ago, pigseye said:

At just 5' 6" and 160 lbs Rich Hall was a CFL All-Star and 3 time GC Champ. He proves that there is a place for the small DB's of the world and it's right here in the Peg. I have every confidence that Rich Hall is the man for the job and knows exactly what he is doing. We shouldn't be criticizing a man of his credentials, they speak for themselves.  

Did you just have a sargasm?

On 2018-08-21 at 7:18 AM, Tracker said:

Despite the Stamps' implosion last game, the Bombers are going to have their hands full with them. I don't know if, given the current state of affairs in Bomberland, a win is likely, but they have to show they can compete. Another blowout loss would make the locals here very unhappy.

I wouldn't call it "competing" without a win over the Stamps.  Sitting at 5-5 (if the Bomber lose) with the following teams on the schedule - Riders (back to back), Montreal, Eskimos, RedBlacks, Riders, Stamps and finally the Eskimos again, a disaster is brewing.  A disaster to me is missing the playoffs and joining the Alouettes and Lions on the couch watching the playoffs. 

I can hear Jim Mora describing the Bombers right now in their current state and it's scary.  

4 minutes ago, DougR said:

I wouldn't call it "competing" without a win over the Stamps.  Sitting at 5-5 (if the Bomber lose) with the following teams on the schedule - Riders (back to back), Montreal, Eskimos, RedBlacks, Riders, Stamps and finally the Eskimos again, a disaster is brewing.  A disaster to me is missing the playoffs and joining the Alouettes and Lions on the couch watching the playoffs. 

You have to be a Riders fan...

Three games against the Riders is probably 2-1 for bombers...

Bombers won't lose to Montreal so that's 3-1

Then Esks (x2), Calgary and RBs - let's say 2-2 or even 1-3... still end up 9-9 and that's playoffs

8 hours ago, pigseye said:

Hall was fired as Eskimos head coach & run out of Saskatchewan twice as a coordinator.  Yes, we should be "criticizing a man of his credentials" if he can't get the job done as DC. Have the Bombers become a damned country club where loyalty is rewarded over winning? Where deserving players can't get on the field because the coaches like other guys better or have their favourites so an air of  politics pervade? Have (management & coaches) become complacent with just being a playoff team over a legit GC contender or winner? Are they willing to make tough choices & make changes when they have to? Has this team lost its will or it's belief that it can still win? Despite what our HC says about his belief that they can absolutely win games down 23 points with just 3 minutes left in last week's game? Is it all talk? I'm beginning to wonder. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hall was fired as Eskimos head coach & run out of Saskatchewan twice as a coordinator.  Yes, we should be "criticizing a man of his credentials" if he can't get the job done as DC. Have the Bombers become a damned country club where loyalty is rewarded over winning? Where deserving players can't get on the field because the coaches like other guys better or have their favourites so an air of  politics pervade? Have (management & coaches) become complacent with just being a playoff team over a legit GC contender or winner? Are they willing to make tough choices & make changes when they have to? Has this team lost its will or it's belief that it can still win? Despite what our HC says about his belief that they can absolutely win games down 23 points with just 3 minutes left in last week's game? Is it all talk? I'm beginning to wonder. 

Name a team that doesn't question the coaching after a loss. The wailing and gnashing of teeth now reminds me of after the loss in Hamilton. They rebounded after that, why don't we see what the response is before we all jump off the ledge?

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Name a team that doesn't question the coaching after a loss. The wailing and gnashing of teeth now reminds me of after the loss in Hamilton. They rebounded after that, why don't we see what the response is before we all jump off the ledge?

They're going into Calgary & then back to back to back vs Riders. This is no walk in the park or just by saying we'll be fine. The issues brought up here by some pretty knowledgeable fans are valid as far as I'm concerned. They're worth discussing. There are a lot of pluses on this team but there are negatives.  Hopefully, these positives outweigh the negatives. I haven't given up on this team yet.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

You have to be a Riders fan...

Three games against the Riders is probably 2-1 for bombers...

Bombers won't lose to Montreal so that's 3-1

Then Esks (x2), Calgary and RBs - let's say 2-2 or even 1-3... still end up 9-9 and that's playoffs

If we play out the string like we did against Ottawa I don't see us winning another game, period. Sounds gloomy but it seems the league may have Lapo, Nichols, Harris figured out and probably has Richie Hall figured out too. It could simply be a case of the patient bleeding out until it goes flatline. The last thing we need right now is to have to face an angry Calgary team. If they lay a wicked beating on us it may destroy whatever semblance of self-confidence we have left. Once that confidence is gone, and with guys like Streveller sitting on the bench, it could get really, really ugly.

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The 'what a difference a week makes' guy was right....

Jones was about to be lynched after the Montreal loss...

Harris was just about run out of town in Ottawa

BC just handed EDM their lunch a couple weeks ago

Welcome to the CFL.

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

If we play out the string like we did against Ottawa I don't see us winning another game, period. Sounds gloomy but it seems the league may have Lapo, Nichols, Harris figured out and probably has Richie Hall figured out too. It could simply be a case of the patient bleeding out until it goes flatline. The last thing we need right now is to have to face an angry Calgary team. If they lay a wicked beating on us it may destroy whatever semblance of self-confidence we have left. Once that confidence is gone, and with guys like Streveller sitting on the bench, it could get really, really ugly.

If Edmonton played like they did against BC, they won't win another game...

If Calgary plays the way they did against Sask, they won't win another game...

And so it goes.

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

If Edmonton played like they did against BC, they won't win another game...

If Calgary plays the way they did against Sask, they won't win another game...

And so it goes.

Yeah, but if you are going to bet, Bombers and Calgary are now both looking for a rebound game, and one of them has to lose, probably decisively.

I would not put money on an angry and motivated Calgary playing poorly two games in a row.

On the other hand, Bombers have shown that they are always capable of stringing big losses together - they have made a living doing so for almost 15 years now.

Edited by TheSource