Bombers' Redemption Day - Game Day Thread: Alouettes

BigBlue

12 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

I haven't seen much written about Bryan Bennett's performance on Friday. Yes I know he came in when the game was completely out of hand and the Als defence seemed to have given up.  But I for one was quite impressed with his play and his arm strength and I think he throws a better ball than Strelever.  But he's far from the game manager that Strelever is. 

Given his very short time with the team he graded out pretty well.

Seen enough of him in two preseasons to know his accuracy is his limiting factor.  Might be a better runner than Streveler, last time he was here they practiced him as a receiver.

A few days late after finally getting around to watch the game on the PVR, but here are a few thoughts in no particular order:

- On one hand I want to temper the excitement of what I saw because it was Montreal. On the other hand we did exactly what a contending team should do against a doormat, and that's embarrass the opponent...and that does count for something in my opinion.

- It was great to see so much offensive production from our Canadian (and local) content. In fact I don't remember a time when we've had so much significant contributions in a single game from our Canadian content.

- I've read some comments about people being concerned about a lack of production from Dressler and Bowman, and to a lesser extent Adams. Honestly, as long as we're moving the ball and scoring points, who cares? Streveler has his way of moving the ball. Nichols obviously has his. The numbers of those receivers will go up soon enough.

- Speaking of Adams...throws a better pass than Justin Goltz and Jason Boltus.

- It's cliché but the game showed why it's true. The game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Our front seven dominated their line. Their front seven did nothing whatsoever.

- Jamaal Westerman. Some things never change...good for one roughing the passer call a game.

- Henoc Muamba. Looks good on ya...and rest assured karma is coming too for those cheap hits.

- Say what you will about the Alouettes...bottom line is they have a veteran defensive coordinator, and two all star corners, and Streveler destroyed that defence all night. For a guy fresh out of college, that's extremely impressive. 

- The back shoulder throw to Demski was fantastic. Same with the ball location on the wheel route to LaFrance. DB never saw the ball.

- Great to see Mo back of course. Even in a limited role he flashed as always with a textbook special teams tackle.

- Nothing against Medlock, everyone knows he's a field goal kicker first and a punter second, and that's great - that said it sucks to see the opponent continuously gaining 10-15 yards in field position when the opposing offenses go back to back on two and outs.

- Bighill was solid - even if he did misread the play on Sutton's big run. Can't always bat 1.000. 

- I realize it may be bad for the league, but it warms my heart to see the Als as bad as they are given the reign they had with Calvillo.

- Greatly looking forward to the coaching matchup between O'Shea and Jones on Friday, and what Glanville has in store for Streveler given his experience and time in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm almost 100% sure that was an under thrown ball to Demski. He just made a great play.

It was under thrown,  ideally if Streveler had thrown the ball in the back corner of the end zone Demski had his man beat and would of made the play.    That TD was more so a sign of Demski making a good play then a good throw.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If he throws that deep it's out the chopped off corner of the endzone, he put the ball where the receiver had a chance to make a play on it and Demski did. It's what good quarterbacks do, they give their receivers a chance to make good plays. 

Agree.  He put it where ONLY Demski can make a play and I believe Suitor agrees too. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

On 2018-06-22 at 10:00 PM, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Matthias Goossen: The Dark Menno-Knight Rises

Ha I saw him get up after a play and hit a guy in the gut in one motion, walk away and not look back. If I was an Als fan I would have been screaming. Probably would have been screaming anyway if I was an Als fan. Probably would have turned off the TV and crawled into bed with a bottle.  

56 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm almost 100% sure that was an under thrown ball to Demski. He just made a great play.

Nah. Its pretty obvious he placed it there on purpose. DB had good coverage.. If ball is further its likely incomplete.. I think Streveler realized that and threw it behind so Demski could make a play. 

Edited by Goalie

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

How come tsn never acknowledges that Bennett was with us before. They always mention his time with the Riders.

You forgot that the Riders are Canada's team and have to be mentioned even if they aren't playing. The only way it could be better with the Riders getting smacked and the Bombers smacking a team is if the Bombers were smacking the Riders or if the Riders got smacked twice in a week. 

It was under thrown and a ball if the DB had turned his head could of been picked off.     That being said I'd rather a QB toss the ball and put the onus on the receiver to make the play then a QB who holds onto the ball for 3 more seconds and ends up getting sacked and resulting in us going for a field goal. 

40 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

You may not like Suits but you can't question his football knowledge. 

Having played the game, I'm sure he has knowledge to draw from, but that doesn't mean he's good at his job or that he generally says the right thing, when commenting on a play.  To me, he often seems completely out to lunch.

To be clear, I'm not referring to his comment on a particular play, just an overall opinion.

44 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

You may not like Suits but you can't question his football knowledge. 

Plus, at half time Matt Dunigan said the exact same things about what a smart play it was by the qb to put it behind the receiver, so regardless of whether or not Suitor is an idiot, I'll take Matt Dunigans word on a qbs choice of throw any day. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If he throws that deep it's out the chopped off corner of the endzone, he put the ball where the receiver had a chance to make a play on it and Demski did. It's what good quarterbacks do, they give their receivers a chance to make good plays. 

Yeah, I think Matty Dunigan showed a break down of that decision.