Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

49 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Too bad, I think there's still a stigma about Winnipeg with most players coming to the CFL? 

Bombers don't have the cap space to go after someone like that, I doubt they even talked to Posey.  BC will be cutting Rainey and have Arceneaux and Elimimian on 6 game.  Bombers have no one to cut, all the big money guys are paid for the season, at 4 year vet guarantee week.  Can go over a bit but don't want to lose a pick.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Bombers don't have the cap space to go after someone like that, I doubt they even talked to Posey.  BC will be cutting Rainey and have Arceneaux and Elimimian on 6 game.  Bombers have no one to cut, all the big money guys are paid for the season, at 4 year vet guarantee week.  Can go over a bit but don't want to lose a pick.

So what you're saying is, we're screwed.

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

So what you're saying is, we're screwed.

Not at all.  I don't think Devier Posey makes much of a difference to this team and I don't think there's many guys who are going to come free who could.  If they sign someone on prorated 6 figures like Posey probably got they are gambling that they pull some capspace out of 6 gaming someone over the rest of the season.  Obviously any cap space they have increases in terms of salary they can offer as the season goes.  They can't pay Posey $70,000-$80,000 in real dollars considering they don't have anyone with anything close to that much salary left they can chop, and especially without hurting the roster elsewhere.

This team was built to win this year, they weren't holding anything back.  They grabbed Fenner.  They grabbed Demski.  They grabbed Bighill.  They kept Fogg on his second deal instead of replacing him with a rookie, they kept Okpalaugo and Neufeld who both have big deals that they aren't really worth.  They've repeatedly pulled guys off the 6 game.  They didn't hold cap space for NFL cuts.

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Yeah right.

Walters probably just didn't pursue him...  could be up against the cap with Durant's theft and the Bighill signing...

Yup. Just one more reason to hate the Riders. 

Pedersen: Any take on what the Blue Bombers had to say today?

Durant: Well, first of all, it’s something that they’ve known. I wouldn’t dare just hang up my cleats and then not let them know. My agent has been in conversations with their general manager for the past three-four weeks now, so they knew that. Secondly, I’m not going to address the bonus situation. I just felt like it was just a situation where I deserve that. I’m going to just leave it at that.

tattoos-2.gif

16 minutes ago, Ripper said:

If 70k to Durant has you in trouble, you have bigger issues to look at. 70k is a bit above league minimum.

An extra 70k upfront is an extra player... that's the point...  

They had Durant budgeted at prob $175k or so...?  then signed Bighill at $200k... a raise and another seventy grand in a big free agent year...

I'm sure they paid Bowman at least half up front to get him at $140k...

36 minutes ago, Floyd said:

An extra 70k upfront is an extra player... that's the point...  

They had Durant budgeted at prob $175k or so...?  then signed Bighill at $200k... a raise and another seventy grand in a big free agent year...

I'm sure they paid Bowman at least half up front to get him at $140k...

OK so Bowman was equally as bad a move but doesn't get mentioned.  Must be because he wasn't a Rider.  Funny thing is he was many moons ago

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

If 70k to Durant has you in trouble, you have bigger issues to look at. 70k is a bit above league minimum.

Because we still have to have a backup qb on the roster so it's 70K on top of a full roster of salaries. 

This is a team that is spending quite a bit on salary and unlike the Riders our GM attempts to stay under the cap so as not to incur fines. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

OK so Bowman was equally as bad a move but doesn't get mentioned.  Must be because he wasn't a Rider.  Funny thing is he was many moons ago

Well yeah- cuz riders ******* suck.

I always wonder how painful and self-loathing it must be to be a cryder... then i realize... duck it, he's a cryder fan and quit caring.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not at all.  I don't think Devier Posey makes much of a difference to this team and I don't think there's many guys who are going to come free who could.  If they sign someone on prorated 6 figures like Posey probably got they are gambling that they pull some capspace out of 6 gaming someone over the rest of the season.  Obviously any cap space they have increases in terms of salary they can offer as the season goes.  They can't pay Posey $70,000-$80,000 in real dollars considering they don't have anyone with anything close to that much salary left they can chop, and especially without hurting the roster elsewhere.

This team was built to win this year, they weren't holding anything back.  They grabbed Fenner.  They grabbed Demski.  They grabbed Bighill.  They kept Fogg on his second deal instead of replacing him with a rookie, they kept Okpalaugo and Neufeld who both have big deals that they aren't really worth.  They've repeatedly pulled guys off the 6 game.  They didn't hold cap space for NFL cuts.

Not a very pretty picture.

When you think you are going to make a run, and then find out that you are about to hit last place three quarters through the season this means you did something wrong that goes well beyond just Hall and Nichols.

The bad part of this is that should they really tank this year, then the options are not that good for recovery next year because, Bighill aside, they still have to live with some of the poor decisions made the last offseason. Other than Bighill, I never really liked the other choices they made in the offseason. One could see this coming before the season started - I sure did.

3 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Darian Durant appreciation day at the stadium today!  Any Rider fan seen wearing a #4 jersey is going to be asked to buy me a beer, and send him the 

Darian_Douchebag_Durant.jpg

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

You've got to be ashamed of that POS. 

I wasn't his biggest fan even when he played for us. I am pretty hard on everyone. Not many players become a favorite of mine. I expect to win every game and the cup every year.  Doesn't work out that way

11 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I wasn't his biggest fan even when he played for us. I am pretty hard on everyone. Not many players become a favorite of mine. I expect to win every game and the cup every year.  Doesn't work out that way

Do you really have a Durant jersey ?......if you do can we burn it 

17 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Considering Bighill and Bowman both turned down higher offers to come here I’m going to say no. 

Of course, this team looked significantly better in the offseason than it does now. 

That's nice but I asked if there was a stigma with players coming to the CFL, not guys who have played in the CFL. 

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

So what about all those 6 game IR salaries, did that money just get sucked into some black hole? It doesn't count against the cap last time I checked.