Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I would think that the Eskies and Lions would also be interested.

Agree. Maas will soon will follow Trestman later today or tomorrow.

I'm guessing the Leos' will get him. Either way, it's a bad news to other West Division teams.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

57 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

If there's anyone that can turn Manziel into a star it's Trestman

Or Jennings. Probably the best would be Edmonton.

In a way, Toronto did him a favour by not dragging it out.  Probably be hired again quickly.

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Trestman would definitely get more out of Reilly and Co. - provided there are some OL changes. 

Reilly would probably like to run an offence that didn't involve  a bad physical beating for him every single game.

players poll voted him toughest player in the league. 

Edited by Mark F

I do wonder about Trestman and Reilly though.... Trestman excelled with Calvillo and Ray, two guys who didn't run around and improvise a lot and were able to be more methodical. So much of Reilly has been chucking it deep on broken plays or just going deep in general. Does he have the ability to play a different way? 

I just find that Trestman is getting pretty over rated because he's won some Grey Cups with already great quarterbacks. Hell the Argos with Ray weren't even that good a team, just got a big win in the big game. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I just find that Trestman is getting pretty over rated because he's won some Grey Cups with already great quarterbacks

I guess you could say the same about Wally Buono. 

How many coaches have won several Championships with shitty quarterbacks?

doesn't happen very often.

There's no reason Reilly couldn't run an offence that relied less on fifty yards in the air passes.

Edited by Mark F

Look I believe Trestman is a very good coach, but he's not a miracle worker. 

And don't bring up Buono, he has won cups with shitty quarterbacks, lest we forget 2001 when Marcus ******* Crandell beat the Bombers. 

Never mind that Wally has brought in a **** load of great qbs to this league where as Trestman has come in with the reputation as a quarterback whisperer and only had success with already established great qbs. Even Lapo has developed more at qb than Trestman. 

So like I said, good coach, but pretty over rated at this point. 

That's one cup with an ordiinary qb for Wally.

otherwise he had Flutie, Garcia, Lulay, Dickensen, etc. two of them were good enough to go to the NFL, and do well.

having Flutie pretty much guaranteed a Grey Cup.

Can't win much without a good quarterback. 

Edited by Mark F

Trestman is a really good coach, but since his Montreal stint he has been largely mediocre in the NFL and CFL. I get that he won the Cup last year, but it is a huge advantage playing in the East (not only for Trestman, but most of these terrible teams). That Toronto went 4-14 this year in a division that featured ONE (!!!) team with a winning record should demonstrate how bad the Argos were.

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No way the Blue Bombers are changing coaches next season. 

Trestman won't go to a gong show in Montreal.    I'd say NFL or BC Lions with Reilly... that move makes the most sense. 

I have to agree with that. It might be a tough pill for some to swallow if the Bombers lose in the semi final but O'Shea will be back next season either way.

Things were bad under Trestman in Toronto this season. He became a real control freak as well as a bit of a tyrant. Including the dressing down of a MLSE employee that was so severe that he quit. Marc's personal life was obviously taking a toll but if Drew Edwards story is correct & he's a reliable reporter with good sources maybe Marc should have taken a leave of absence to deal with the tragedies in his life. Anyway, his behaviour & the performance of the Argos cost him his job. 

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/03/seven-reasons-argos-fired-marc-trestman/

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Trestman is done.

Yup, if he had wanted to return to Montreal, he would have done so already.

While having Lulay in BC would make an ideal situation if he wanted to keep coaching, couple things still going on which are ...

1. Until Buono actually and I mean actually makes it official that he's stopped coaching and trying to run anything in BC, that vacancy is anything but assured

2. Even if Buono does finally get out, I'm guessing Ed Hervey is staying.  Trestman isn't going anywhere Popp isn't.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Based on what? Which QB has Trestman turned into a star in the CFL? He's had success with Calvillo and Ray, two already HOF worthy QBs before Trestman ever got his hands on them. 

This, although I have always respected Trestman as a coach and think he was good for the league for the time he was here, he never developed a QB.  Yes he put Calvillo in position to bring home those Grey Cups in the twilight of his career and help resurrect Ricky Ray after being injured and having a big mess of 2016.  But he didn't invest enough development time in any of AC's backups and showed no patience with Franklin.

Good coach, but not quite the QB wizard people think.