Training Camp 2018

Just now, Goalie said:

Washington Thompkins and Randle did also. Cooper had a good camp also. 

I would argue that White had a better camp than any of those guys at receiver and it's likely at least one of those guys is gone too. I realize it's a subjective argument at this point regarding who is better of the three but White got far more praise than Washington, Randle and 30-year-old Thompkins.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Its a numbers game. Washington can return kicks. White doesnt. Cooper made a huge play on teams last night. 

Funny you give Cooper credit for making a big play on teams and then discount White for making "one catch" in the previous game. Can't have it both ways. I would argue judging both on one play is stupid but don't cherry pick.

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I would argue that White had a better camp than any of those guys at receiver and it's likely at least one of those guys is gone too. I realize it's a subjective argument at this point regarding who is better of the three but White got far more praise than Washington, Randle and 30-year-old Thompkins.

White dropped passes in both games. Not a real surprise he was one of the guys to get cut. Plenty of times reports from camp aren't truly indicative.

6 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Gonna go back and look at that Calgary finale from last year, the one where Lapo had the Fever run the most conservative game plan I've ever seen in the CFL.  Not a pass over five yards.  Bet that's what we see while we're waiting for Nicholls.

That would be bad, but it may very well happen.

What I'd like to see is to go down guns blazing rather than a steady stream of 2 and outs, which will be the inevitable result of the above.

I think Lapo should modify the offence into 2 different reduced package versions to suit each of Ross and Streveler, and then not be afraid to change up from each of them during the games. Make a pocket passing package for Ross and a roll out style run and shoot for Streveler, and then let them both go for it.

Reality is that Bombers are in trouble no matter what, so at least let your players use all the tools they have and go down that way rather than having no offence at all and just hanging around until the D gets worn out.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Protect the ball, make smart passes, rely on Andrew Harris.  That's all you can really ask of the young guys.

If the definition of "make smart passes" is to do that ultra-conservative stuff, then that's going to be awfully easy for a 1st string defense in the CFl to shut down when they know the ball will never go more than 5 yards out of the hands of the QB, if at all.

You are going to lose any way with that strategy because you can't score points that way unless a team has terrible run defense.

I'd rather let the kids develop their abilities and open things up. That is the only way those #2 and #3 guys are going to develop. They will not learn much in an ultra-conservative system.

1 hour ago, TheSource said:

If the definition of "make smart passes" is to do that ultra-conservative stuff, then that's going to be awfully easy for a 1st string defense in the CFl to shut down when they know the ball will never go more than 5 yards out of the hands of the QB, if at all.

You are going to lose any way with that strategy because you can't score points that way unless a team has terrible run defense.

I'd rather let the kids develop their abilities and open things up. That is the only way those #2 and #3 guys are going to develop. They will not learn much in an ultra-conservative system.

Maybe we should use the Power I offense Mike Kelly started in 2009.  Put the RB 10 yards back, behind the shotgun snap.

6 hours ago, TheSource said:

What team did u watch last year? Even with Nichols its dont turn it over and get it in to the playmakers hands quick type of O. 

Its almost like you are trolling cuz.. Our O isnt about duck n chuck like Jennings in BC... Its about 10 play drives.. Smart quick passes and Andrew Harris. 

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, TheSource said:

That would be bad, but it may very well happen.

What I'd like to see is to go down guns blazing rather than a steady stream of 2 and outs, which will be the inevitable result of the above.

I think Lapo should modify the offence into 2 different reduced package versions to suit each of Ross and Streveler, and then not be afraid to change up from each of them during the games. Make a pocket passing package for Ross and a roll out style run and shoot for Streveler, and then let them both go for it.

Reality is that Bombers are in trouble no matter what, so at least let your players use all the tools they have and go down that way rather than having no offence at all and just hanging around until the D gets worn out.

This is the worst case scenario, but it’s not impossible. However, with Bowman on the field, some duck and chuck to balance out the 5 yard curls and runs up the gut is a real possibility. 

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

What team did u watch last year? Even with Nichols its dont turn it over and get it in to the playmakers hands quick type of O. 

Its almost like you are trolling cuz.. Our O isnt about duck n chuck like Jennings in BC... Its about 10 play drives.. Smart quick passes and Andrew Harris. 

You guys totally play a dump and run offense. That is a system a young qb can run. You aren't in as bad of shape without Nichols as many think IMHO.  If Harris gets hurt, then I would be very worried, the qb however is interchangeable. 

Edited by Ripper

9 minutes ago, Ripper said:

You guys totally play a dump and run offense. That is a system a young qb can run. You aren't in as bad of shape without Nichols as many think IMHO.  If Harris gets hurt, then I would be very worried, the qb however is interchangeable. 

Thats a totally backhanded compliment...yea i get what your saying that Nichols isn't an elite QB but your wrong. Unfortunately some if us are going to find out around here that Matt Nichols is what he has shown the last 2 years ...one of the better QBs in the league. And you just dont replace a guy like this easily...

5 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Thats a totally backhanded compliment...yea i get what your saying that Nichols isn't an elite QB but your wrong. Unfortunately some if us are going to find out around here that Matt Nichols is what he has shown the last 2 years ...one of the better QBs in the league. And you just dont replace a guy like this easily...

Too many fans under appreciate what Nichols did or forget how bad we were before he got here at the qb position. Maybe when he gets back people will stop saying he isn't elite as I think he is. I think he's up there with Mike Reilly & Bo Levi Mitchell. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Too many fans under appreciate what Nichols did or forget how bad we were before he got here at the qb position. Maybe when he gets back people will stop saying he isn't elite as I think he is. I think he's up there with Mike Reilly & Bo Levi Mitchell. 

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I think what doesn't get enough air time in Winnipeg is how bad you were before Lapolice. Lapo is smart and set something up that Nichols could run. Conservative, low risk and consistent game plan. 

Edited by Ripper

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I think what doesn't get enough air time in Winnipeg is how bad you were before Lapolice. Lapo is smart and set something up that Nichols could run. Conservative, low risk and consistent game plan. 

Yeah, LaPo's a better coach than he was a few years ago, I believe. He has a good game plan & doesn't expect Nichols to do things he can't do.