Training Camp 2018

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I don't agree. There is no one out there that we could pick up that would be able to suit up for game one and step in. With the only 6 days until our season starts and the short-er nature of Nichols injury, I think we should stay the course. 

?  he isn't saying we should pick up a QB.  he is saying that we are expecting too much form the team to be effective with pure rookies at QB regardless of the talent around them,, With even flutie (all star QB) pulling a 71 QB rating in his first year. Assuming that our backups are no where close to flutie, its hard to argue we can win alot of games, atleast initially, with rookie QBs, regardless of the strength of the team around them..

Expect the worst, hope for the best.  That way you are okay or really happy if we loose or win. 

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

?  he isn't saying we should pick up a QB.  he is saying that we are expecting too much form the team to be effective with pure rookies at QB regardless of the talent around them,, With even flutie (all star QB) pulling a 71 QB rating in his first year. Assuming that our backups are no where close to flutie, its hard to argue we can win alot of games, atleast initially, with rookie QBs, regardless of the strength of the team around them..

Expect the worst, hope for the best.  That way you are okay or really happy if we loose or win. 

Our O doesn't revolve around a QB, Nichols or other who is a gunslinger... Our O revolves around a QB who protects the ball... Gets the ball in the hand of the playmakers and lets them do the rest... I dont know where this idea our QB needs to be some all pro stud comes from... The QB, Nichols or other just needs to manage the game, dont force the ball if its not there... 

At least, it was last year...

Edited by Goalie

It was a real relief to hear that Matt Nichols is only going to be out for 4 to 6 weeks. However, had we not all been led to believe that there was a good chance of a torn ACL this would have been considered bad news. Is it just me or were we played a little bit?  Logically speaking it would make sense for the bombers to kind of leak out a doomsday scenario which they did through various sources. As a result everyone including the players seems to be in an optimistic spirit even though he's out for 4 to 6 weeks.  Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

It was a real relief to hear that Matt Nichols is only going to be out for 4 to 6 weeks. However, had we not all been led to believe that there was a good chance of a torn ACL this would have been considered bad news. Is it just me or were we played a little bit?  Logically speaking it would make sense for the bombers to kind of leak out a doomsday scenario which they did through various sources. As a result everyone including the players seems to be in an optimistic spirit even though he's out for 4 to 6 weeks.  Thoughts?

Those sources aren't real.. Usually sources means a guy watching practice in this case.. And if u listened to a few of them on here instead of listening to Hodge or our Ckickbait media, then they all seemed cautiously optimistic. 

Its time to understand that while u might like Wyman or Bauming, they are clickbait driven. #FakeNews. 

They dont care about facts.. They care about how many clicks their links get or how many likes they get. 

Tait, Hamilton are 2 of the best and neither speculated once. 

Why? Cuz they care more about facts than sending a fan base in to hysterics. 

Edited by Goalie

45 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Or how about this, when a guy goes down holding his knee the first thing everyone does is panic cause it might be an ACL, The team didn't say ****, their message was always "we will get it checked out and see what the story is" They came out and said 4-6 weeks in short order, there's no playing here, just over zealous people wanting to write off Nichols for the year, and why not, makes for easier articles for people to write "who can the bombers trade for?" massive speculation and talking points. The CFL media by and large is only concerned with the low hanging fruit. 

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Not expecting a miracle, I'd be happy if they got through this stretch at 2-4 but I won't be very surprised if the record is worse. The Bombers opponents don't exist in suspended animation, they are all striving to get better each year as well.  No new coaching staffs, no massive turn-overs or rebuilds, other than the Als it doesn't look like there are any particularly weak sisters this season and even they may surprise.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

35 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not expecting a miracle, I'd be happy if they got through this stretch at 2-4 but I won't be very surprised if the record is worse. The Bombers opponents don't exist in suspended animation, they are all striving to get better each year as well.  No new coaching staffs, no massive turn-overs or rebuilds, other than the Als it doesn't look like there are any particularly weak sisters this season and even they may surprise.

Montreal went 9-9 with this as their QB depth:

Anything is possible.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Or how about this, when a guy goes down holding his knee the first thing everyone does is panic cause it might be an ACL, The team didn't say ****, their message was always "we will get it checked out and see what the story is" They came out and said 4-6 weeks in short order, there's no playing here, just over zealous people wanting to write off Nichols for the year, and why not, makes for easier articles for people to write "who can the bombers trade for?" massive speculation and talking points. The CFL media by and large is only concerned with the low hanging fruit. 

Where do you think the rumbling originated from?

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Because that's been Lapos MO with this offense the entire time, not to mention that we now have some receivers who can go up and win some one on one battles, that gives qbs some hope too. 

I just think it's ridiculous to write things off at this point. The entire team looks very solid except for the qbs behind Nichols who are unproven. If a rookie can't manage the game with this team then this team isn't as good as we think it is. 

It's ridiculous to pretend that anyone is 'writing things off at this point'. We could go anywhere from 6-0 to 0-6 or anywhere in between, no matter what the predictions are because, predictions don't equal results. FTR: The season won't be lost if we go 2-4 or even 1-5 to start out. When we get Nichols back, our real season starts. Hopefully we'll win enough in the second two thirds of the season to make the playoffs

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's ridiculous to pretend that anyone is 'writing things off at this point'. We could go anywhere from 6-0 to 0-6 or anywhere in between, no matter what the predictions are because, predictions don't equal results. FTR: The season won't be lost if we go 2-4 or even 1-5 to start out. When we get Nichols back, our real season starts. Hopefully we'll win enough in the second two thirds of the season to make the playoffs

I think the only Nichols injury ensures is that the Bombers are unlikely to earn a home playoff game.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think the only Nichols injury ensures is that the Bombers are unlikely to earn a home playoff game.

I'm not sure it even ensures that, but Nichols won't be the only player to go down for a while this year. Adams, Bowman, Dressler, Wild and Neufeld all have multiple injury histories.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The only thing nichols injury ensures is that nichols wont play this week. Also that we will carry 4 qbs for a bit. (nichols on ir +3)

Edited by wbbfan

I think Montgomery will be a starter. 

Go have a look at the gif of one of his plays  at John Hodge's article on the game. 

That guy has something to prove. He looks like he should be in the NFL.

Edited by Mark F

15 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I think Montgomery will be a starter. 

Go have a look at the gif of one of his plays  at John Hodge's article on the game. 

That guy has something to prove. He looks like he should be in the NFL.

Yeah.  I really like Montgomery.  But I think they will put him on the practice roster to start the season.  There are going to be some really tough decisions.

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But what if it really is an ACL, and the team is just saying 4 to 6 weeks to keep the hopes of the fans an team mates up?

It would not be the first time the Bombers had a player miss an entire season with a reported "4 to 6" week injury.

This is how OShea rolls. 

2 minutes ago, TheSource said:

But what if it really is an ACL, and the team is just saying 4 to 6 weeks to keep the hopes of the fans an team mates up?

It would not be the first time the Bombers had a player miss an entire season with a reported "4 to 6" week injury.

This is how OShea rolls. 

When did that happen before?