Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

Gotta think Henoc is an upgrade at MACK for every team but Calgary........so pretty much everyone would be at least a little bit interested. But who's got the cash at this point to make something happen? Very few, aside from us....

Jim Popp on the phone  -   Henoc, honey, baby, it won't be like that again, I swear.  I'm a changed man.  That was the old me.  The blue white and red me.  Now I'm blue white and blue.  It's totally different.  I swear, you'll be the only FA with a $60,000 late season roster bonus I ever overpay again.  You're the only one for me Henoc!

I'd trade a pick for Muamba instantly, even for just a single year of him. Ottawa and Toronto are not set at MLB (is Montreal?) so there will be bidders for him if he's cut. I'd want to pre-empt the bidding war and trade for him.  He instantly fills our most pressing need and has the right passport.  Our Grey Cup window is right now and our Canadian depth is miles ahead of where it's been in the past, so I'm comfortable sacrificing the pick.

First round picks turn into starters less than 50% of the time and they turn into a real ratio breaker like a Muamba way less than that.  He's in his prime and judging from what I saw late last season, he's back in CFL form.

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

...or maybe you let Muamba shake free, crowd up the MLB market a bit, and then sign Reed or Woods for a lot less dough.

When those injuries start to pile up mid-September having one more starting calibre NI is a CFL godsend.  You can't buy a passport for Reed or Woods with the savings.

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Would the Riders take a second rounder instead of cutting him?

If I'm the Bombers I'm starting with an offer of a conditional 2nd rounder that turns into a 1st if we can sign him to an extension before the end of the season.  I don't know if that gets a deal done but that'd be where the conversation would probably start.

Y'know, after how's the weather and do you guys have indoor plumbing yet?

20 minutes ago, johnzo said:

...or maybe you let Muamba shake free, crowd up the MLB market a bit, and then sign Reed or Woods for a lot less dough.

If Muamba is lining up in the middle...  your front seven is pretty impressive

Wild/JSK-Muamba-Leggett

Jeffcoat-Poop-Nevis-Okpo/Corney