Game 12 : Stars

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Gotta get that second line going.

No doubt.  Not sure what the issue is there.  Seems to be a lack of chemistry, I suppose.  Or maybe playing with Wheeler/Scheifele made Ehlers and Laine look a little better than they really are (everyone looks good with those two).  Probably a combination of both.  Anyways it's only a matter of time... that's 3 very good players.  Little is historically streaky so once he heats up and the line develops some chemistry we might be looking at a super-deadly top six.

14 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No doubt.  Not sure what the issue is there.  Seems to be a lack of chemistry, I suppose.  Or maybe playing with Wheeler/Scheifele made Ehlers and Laine look a little better than they really are (everyone looks good with those two).  Probably a combination of both.  Anyways it's only a matter of time... that's 3 very good players.  Little is historically streaky so once he heats up and the line develops some chemistry we might be looking at a super-deadly top six.

I think Laine is just young and struggling with some of the finer points.  I havent dissected his play but felt in some instances he doesnt hustle enough, fight enough or make the right decisions.  Things that will come.  Perhaps swapping wings would help (he might feel more comfortable on the other side and be lined up for that shot more often).  I'd focus on feeding him more (or trying to) and asking him to shoot more.  if he gets that shot off, he will score.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Big central division implications for this one.  I'd expect a bit of a close, higher-scoring game but nothing outrageous.  Gonna call 4-3 Jets in the shootout.  Goals from Laine, Matthias, and Scheifele.

Matthias is going to score?  Maybe you'll win the lottery too!  :lol:

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Some people just want Maurice gone and no amount of wins will change their mind.  So now we have to deal with "Yeah we won but can you believe our second line was so bad.... Maurice has gotta go."

Is that directed at me?  Whether Maurice should go or not is independent of the second line struggling, which it is. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Is that directed at me?  Whether Maurice should go or not is independent of the second line struggling, which it is. 

Not at all.  Well, I suppose indirectly.  It's not a small group of people who want Maurice gone.  And unfortunately nothing short of a Stanley Cup will change their minds.  Maybe even that wouldn't, for some.

7 hours ago, Atomic said:

Not at all.  Well, I suppose indirectly.  It's not a small group of people who want Maurice gone.  And unfortunately nothing short of a Stanley Cup will change their minds.  Maybe even that wouldn't, for some.

To be fair I was on the Maurice bandwagon until this season. He can win me over though. No more excuses for this team. If they don’t succeed then he has to go. I don’t need a cup to say it’s success but then need to make the playoffs and be competitive. 

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

To be fair I was on the Maurice bandwagon until this season. He can win me over though. No more excuses for this team. If they don’t succeed then he has to go. I don’t need a cup to say it’s success but then need to make the playoffs and be competitive. 

Playoffs are a must, for sure.  And I think we're on track for that.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If they make the playoffs and lose four straight again, I dont think I'd feel like we've made sufficient progress.

Yeah, that would be a kick in the pouch, for sure.

I just want to see all of the same old issues not plague us throughout the season.... And of course, playoffs.

Im not convinced we've turned a corner yet either.  The bad games this young season were REALLY bad.  They now have a goalie playing way above average.  Can he be top three all season?  What happens when he drops down to "average"?  And lets not forget that his play is directly attributable to efforts he made on his own time, to improve.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not convinced we've turned a corner yet either.  The bad games this young season were REALLY bad.  They now have a goalie playing way above average.  Can he be top three all season?  What happens when he drops down to "average"?  And lets not forget that his play is directly attributable to efforts he made on his own time, to improve.

I get you have a huge hate on for the goalie coach, but this criticism makes no sense.  I've never seen you or anyone criticize the team for all the work Scheifele does on his own to better his career, he is applauded for it.

These players are the elite of the elite.  If they don't have the drive and want to continue to improve on their own during the off season, most don't stay in the league long term. 

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well sure, if the goalie starts playing worse, the team will struggle more.  I think that's true of every team.

Make no mistake, this team is not dominant by any stretch.  But they're better than last year and trending up.  Whether they've "turned a corner" or not... I don't know.  I'm not sure what that means or what that would look like. 

Teams don't just change overnight.  That's why I thought all the panic after 2 games was so silly.  Three week training camp and the team hasn't completely erased all their issues?  Shocking!  But they've gotten steadily better as the season has rolled on and that's what matters.