CFL Expansion

Rich

Jesus Christ you guys...not knowing the time zones.....how do you even graduate high school??

One other thing worth considering is the depth of Canadian talent. Some would say it's already pretty thin, so what happens if we add another team and need even more Canadians to fill out that roster? 

I do not believe halifax can or will support a franchise long term. I love the east coast and would love nothing more then to see a team well supported there. I also do not think that expansion is a great idea for the league at this time. This is far more of valley time then a peak. Weve seen what poorly timed and executed expansion has done in the past. Look at the amount of tries it has taken for a team to stick in  ottawa. And are they soo stabile that they are free of danger for the next 5 years? Are the argos? 

Talent level in the league is in a good spot. While i believe you can develop the american core in a year or two, you cant with the NIs. And the draft while heavily improved over what it was 10 years ago, is not deep enough. Take one starting NI off each team. Then look at the bottom starting NI in terms of talent. And the then thinned out back ups. 

Qb wise it wouldnt be a terrible time imo. We are at a tipping point in terms of the age of qbs. Glenn and Durant are in their late stages. A few back ups around the league show promise. Teams would have the option of going young, or trying to cling to an old vet that gives them a chance now.

A strong base of a great owner and fans, depth QB talent, and  depth of NI talent are the keys to making an expansion work. Right now, the chance that a halifax team would be operating and healthy in 5 years are more negative then any thing. And the blow to the league of having to close their doors, as well as limp them through the time before shut down are worse then what we would gain if it worked out.  

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Jesus Christ you guys...not knowing the time zones.....how do you even graduate high school??

One other thing worth considering is the depth of Canadian talent. Some would say it's already pretty thin, so what happens if we add another team and need even more Canadians to fill out that roster? 

That is a really good point.  The league is going to have to find a solution.  They said that when the 9th team came back too, and I would say that the Canadian talent is better now than in the past.  One thing is for sure though; they can't stretch the definition of National any further.  As it is now, it feels like you are Canadian if your great grandmother ate poutine once.

One thing that will add more interest among Canadian youth will be to have a team in the maritimes.  There are very few players in the CFL who hale from that part of the country.   That is the long view though. 

Perhaps allow teams to keep a separate National development group who graduated from the CIS in the last 4 years.

To me this is absurd and shows that Ambrosie might be a bit out of touch, a big idea guy more than an effective leader and manager. 

Sure grow the game.  That has to be priority for a commissioner.  At this point you have 3 major markets struggling pretty badly (Toronto, BC, Montreal).  This is not a time for expansion and all that comes with it.  There's a lot of growth that needs to happen in existing markets.

On top of that, expansion to the maritimes is even more absurd.  No venue, no owner, teeny tiny markets, little interest.

They shouldn't spend 5 seconds on this until a legitimate owner/government steps up with a legitimate stadium proposal and a bond to operate a team, in any potential market.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

To me this is absurd and shows that Ambrosie might be a bit out of touch, a big idea guy more than an effective leader and manager. 

Sure grow the game.  That has to be priority for a commissioner.  At this point you have 3 major markets struggling pretty badly (Toronto, BC, Montreal).  This is not a time for expansion and all that comes with it.  There's a lot of growth that needs to happen in existing markets.

On top of that, expansion to the maritimes is even more absurd.  No venue, no owner, teeny tiny markets, little interest.

They shouldn't spend 5 seconds on this until a legitimate owner/government steps up with a legitimate stadium proposal and a bond to operate a team, in any potential market.

QFT. If we dont take care of montreal and TO the league will be in serious trouble.

I thought ambrosie would be more of a figure head, he seems pretty active so far. Maybe hes speaking for the board, or maybe hes talkin out his butt. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

QFT. If we dont take care of montreal and TO the league will be in serious trouble.

I thought ambrosie would be more of a figure head, he seems pretty active so far. Maybe hes speaking for the board, or maybe hes talkin out his butt. 

Definitely butt.  There's not really a scenario where a 10th team grows revenue enough to positively impact existing teams aside from an exorbitant expansion fee that someone owning a team in a tiny market probably wouldn't be willing to pay.  Even if tv viewership in the maritimes went up significantly you're talking tens of thousands more eyeballs not a million.  The happiest person would be the schedule maker.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Definitely butt.  There's not really a scenario where a 10th team grows revenue enough to positively impact existing teams aside from an exorbitant expansion fee that someone owning a team in a tiny market probably wouldn't be willing to pay.  Even if tv viewership in the maritimes went up significantly you're talking tens of thousands more eyeballs not a million.  The happiest person would be the schedule maker.

Pretty much. In order to find an owner willing to take the bath needed to get that franchise started I bet they would 100% have to wave the expansion fee. Bad enough they would have to come in and build a stadium + the other infrastructure.  The state of the arblows probably has the biggest impact on the next TV deal. Idk when thats up, but strong ownership for them has to be priority no1 atm. Continue to build the league, and strengthen its partners. Do that and halifax will have its day. Just like ott did. 

Ps can we have cohon back now? Please? 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They could build a stadium in QC. Twenty five thousand.  Tell laval to go shove it but not likely. The question is the Couillard govt spent big bucks for an NHL arena in QC with no sign of a teamcoming soon. 

With the state of the Als, I cant see another team in Quebec working any time soon.  The als have a great fan base and are really struggling to make it work. 

As much as I hate to say it, if the league had to expand right now, the best option would not be a canadian based team. Which alone should scream how badly the league is not in a spot to expand right now.  But if the gun was to my head, Id go to a market close to the border but state side. A lot of the cities along the border are very canadian esq. hockey fans and cold weather blue collar sorts. 

My american geo is abysmal. So ignore any awful misses and accept my apologies in advance.  Portland ore, would be an apt market. Not as far north as is ideal though.  Louisville Kentucky is not one of those north cities with ties to canada. But a strong sports market.  Hartford Ct. Interesting city with canadian ties (hockey) and an area with great sports support.  Also not northern, but Oakland would be an interesting option.  If any thing, this is a better list of cities for AFL, or yet another failure in waiting of another out door semi pro / pro football league in the states.

No expansion for now, wait 5-10 years then look at halifax. 

5 hours ago, MC said:

I have never heard this before.  I would think there would be good synergy between the two programs.  Is it true or speculation?

Rumors are that its true. I dont recall where but i was reading something a while back about QC and why no CFL team and it was said that Laval wont allow it cuz they feel it would take away from their games. There is also the fact that QC in general isnt interested in a CFL team. I think expansion in the Maritimes is likely... But id probably take a look at London or even Windsor first. 

4 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

the biggest issue with US expansion to me is that you can't enforce the ratio with an American team

I would. No way can a team with the reverse ratio ever work. 

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Another team in the East? Sounds like another two free wins for the Blue and Gold every year.... sounds good to me!

Idk first year ott beat us both times did they not?

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

There was no ratio for US teams in the last expansion. Try open a business in the US and tell the government you require a set number of lower skilled foreign workers for jobs that could be filled by Americans. 

Edited by brett_c_b

6 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

There was no ratio for US teams in the last expansion. Try open a business in the US and tell the government you require a set number of lower skilled foreign workers for jobs that could be filled by Americans. 

There was, but it was reversed. Sounds like walmart to me. :lol: Sports tend to get all kinds of passes on both sides of the border for all kinds of laws and enforcement. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

2014 was their first year in the league and we split the season series with them. They were 2-16 that year.

Edited by Eternal optimist
Can't count to an 18-game schedule, apparently.