Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Health inspectors said the place was not well kept, couldn't keep pests out, and food preparations were sone under insanitary conditions

Those are pretty common closures though and the issues are usually cleared up in a few days.

If the restaurant was doing that poorly, it may have been the final straw for the owners.  No point spending money to fix things if they were already contemplating shutting down.

Edited by bigg jay

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yes, the generation that invented the Tide Pod challenge has always been known for its discerning taste. 

As opposed to the generation that created jello salads, cheeze whiz, hamburger helper, spam, and so many other great food items.  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I've been a few times to the Regent location because my Mom enjoys mediocre old people restaurants.  I found it slightly better then Perkins and Smitty's which isn't saying much.   I think as the population ages out that these breakfast/diner places (Sals/Smittys/Perkins/R&R)  which serves frozen then re-heated, pre package, non homemade dishes will suffer as the younger generation are more accustomed to higher quality meals.  

Younger generation are more accustomed to higher quality meals?

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Those are pretty common closures though and the areas issues are usually cleared up in a few days.

If the restaurant was doing that poorly, it may have been the final straw for the owners.  No point spending money to fix things if they were already contemplating shutting down.

Closure date was on the 19th of January so he might of given up on the location as generally a health inspector will give you are warning and time to get your **** together  preparing and storing under insanitary conditions is serious, people can get violently sick

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

As opposed to the generation that created jello salads, cheeze whiz, hamburger helper, spam, and so many other great food items.  

Spam was invented in 1937 & used by US soldiers in WW2 so nice try. It's over 85 years old. Since society now has 2 income families to support the 2 SUV's in the driveway, the big house, the boat, trailer, snowmobiles or cottage at the lake, the credit card debt, bank loans as well as expensive groceries & inflation plus frazzled hockey & soccer Moms & Dads...  just where did the "younger generation" you claim to be have time to eat better at higher quality & expensive restaurants? Mom & Dad both work, pick up the kids at daycare, are totally exhausted after work & then are expected to come home & whip up some high quality meal like a housewife from the 1950's??? Or take the kids to a restaurant that will cost $120 for 4??? Or how about the kids that come from single family homes where life is a struggle. C'mon. How ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Spam was invented in 1937 & used by US soldiers in WW2 so nice try. It's over 85 years old. Since society now has 2 income families to support the 2 SUV's in the driveway, the big house, the boat, trailer, snowmobiles or cottage at the lake, the credit card debt, bank loans as well as expensive groceries & inflation plus frazzled hockey & soccer Moms & Dads...  just where did the "younger generation" you claim to be have time to eat better at higher quality & expensive restaurants? Mom & Dad both work, pick up the kids at daycare, are totally exhausted after work & then are expected to come home & whip up some high quality meal like a housewife from the 1950's??? Or take the kids to a restaurant that will cost $120 for 4??? Or how about the kids that come from single family homes where life is a struggle. C'mon. How ridiculous. 

Lol why are you so mad this is a very bizarre and odd rant you made?   

I was going to suggest maybe look into how in these days how people are far more health conscious and how fast food/generic chain restaurants are on the down swing.    Kids these days have grown up with higher standards so therefore they gravitate towards places that offer fresh products.     Even in the fast food industry Subway surpassed McD's many years ago and that's why McD's pivoted towards the coffee crowd.    

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Disagree. The evidence is clear that spam was invented solely for the purpose of providing material for a Monty Python skit.

23 hours ago, Brandon said:

Let me understand this, you're comparing laundry detergent to food items? All of you millennials or millennial supporters have only made the world we live in worse. 

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol why are you so mad this is a very bizarre and odd rant you made?   

Your comments. Something about old people restaurants that your mother likes & you don't. That when people like your Mom & I pass away these inferior greasy spoons will disappear. No, they won't. They'll always be around. People want cheaper places to eat especially with a family. Not more expensive. Quality is second. Cheap is always first. That will never change. Where are these superior yet affordable restaurants with higher standards you claim today's generation has been raised on?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, MrFreakzilla said:

Let me understand this, you're comparing laundry detergent to food items? All of you millennials or millennial supporters have only made the world we live in worse. 

Yeah, things were just perfect on Planet Earth before "millennials" ruined everything. Feel free to single out a poster for his comments, but blanket statements like that above only make you look dumb.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Your comments. Something about old people restaurants that your mother likes & you don't. That when people like your Mom & I pass away these inferior greasy spoons will disappear. No, they won't. They'll always be around. People want cheaper places to eat especially with a family. Not more expensive. Quality is second. Cheap is always first. That will never change. Where are these superior yet affordable restaurants with higher standards you claim today's generation has been raised on?

I never said they would disappear completely, I said that they will have trouble staying in business as the older crowd is what currently supports them and as the current youth grows older they won't be eating at a "Perkins" or "Sals" where they serve super mediocre food.   

To entertain you I'll show you where we go (we live in NK/T-Cona) 

• Instead of Perkins/Sals we go to Jonseys in East St Paul or Roxy's in Selkirk
  • Instead of McDonalds we go to Fatburger
  • Instead of Taco Bell/Taco Time we go to BNC Taquiera and Burrito Splendido
  • Instead of Tim Hortons we go to Grand Donuts

Our kids enjoy going to Phuong Nam,  Sushi (anywhere),  older kid likes Magic Thailand,  Shagun Sweets (East Indian) ,  Ramallah ,  Bubble Tea, etc...  When I'm going for food without the kids with co workers or my wife then the options really open up and I can list 100 restaurants that are superior.   At no point in my life when I've been out with other adults have I ever heard anyone say "Lets go to Sals for some cole slaw and hamburgers!".  

The options people have these days as compared to say when I was a kid in the late 80's is significantly larger and nowdays we have far more access to many varieties of different foods from different cultures.  I don't understand the misconception that every non-chain restaurant is super expensive,  in fact I find that many of the places we go are cheaper and also offer better quality.  Long gone are the days where you can go to a crappy place like McDonalds and pay only half as much as anywhere else. 

To the person who brought up tide pods for whatever reason or the other grumpy old people ,  you guys remind me of this clip: 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I never said they would disappear completely, I said that they will have trouble staying in business as the older crowd is what currently supports them and as the current youth grows older they won't be eating at a "Perkins" or "Sals" where they serve super mediocre food.   

Our kids enjoy going to Phuong Nam,  Sushi (anywhere),  older kid likes Magic Thailand,  Shagun Sweets (East Indian) ,  Ramallah ,  Bubble Tea, etc...  When I'm going for food without the kids with co workers or my wife then the options really open up and I can list 100 restaurants that are superior.   At no point in my life when I've been out with other adults have I ever heard anyone say "Lets go to Sals for some cole slaw and hamburgers!".  

The options people have these days as compared to say when I was a kid in the late 80's is significantly larger and nowdays we have far more access to many varieties of different foods from different cultures.  I don't understand the misconception that every non-chain restaurant is super expensive,  in fact I find that many of the places we go are cheaper and also offer better quality.  Long gone are the days where you can go to a crappy place like McDonalds and pay only half as much as anywhere else. 

To the person who brought up tide pods for whatever reason or the other grumpy old people ,  you guys remind me of this clip: 

Kids today...lets go for some Ramen noodles!

On 2023-01-22 at 7:44 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yes, the generation that invented the Tide Pod challenge has always been known for its discerning taste. 

On 2023-01-22 at 8:56 PM, Brandon said:

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

What's with all the weird comments?  Super bizarre?   

To be fair- the curious pivot from tide pods to discerning culinary forays of today vs yesteryear is a little more bizarre. 

read that gear shift and was

what-the.gif

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Having spent 7 years in Harbourview South and now being outside Selkirk I can agree with many of your selections, you are lucky to have kids that will eat such a diverse selection. My 10 year old would starve over many of those options. Sals is actually pretty good and does a better job catering to food allergies than some of the others you mentioned. Next time you are in Selkirk you should give the Riverboat a try, service is friendlier and more consistent than Roxy's. We tried to get in to Roxy's a couple weeks ago and they didn't have enough servers to open both dining rooms and it was over an hour wait for a table.

22 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Next time you are in Selkirk you should give the Riverboat a try, service is friendlier and more consistent than Roxy's. We tried to get in to Roxy's a couple weeks ago and they didn't have enough servers to open both dining rooms and it was over an hour wait for a table.

That has to be a one off, Roxy's is usually great.  Next time that happens, ask for a seat in the lounge.

By the way, a burger platter with a drink is $15 - $20, the same or a little more than many fast food options - way more food and better quality

20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That has to be a one off, Roxy's is usually great.  Next time that happens, ask for a seat in the lounge.

By the way, a burger platter with a drink is $15 - $20, the same or a little more than many fast food options - way more food and better quality

If you go for this, you MUST order the gravy. My wife is a gourmet chef and she says that it is the best restaurant beef gravy she has ever tasted. She doesn't order it- she mooches mine.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

We’re a once a week restaurant family and go about every third week, Roxy’s is not what it once was but still the best in town. They’ve had lots of staffing issues, not at all the same as we started going 10 or so years ago. The Riverboat is greatly improved from what we remember from the first time we lived here 8 years ago. 

56 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

We’re a once a week restaurant family and go about every third week, Roxy’s is not what it once was but still the best in town. They’ve had lots of staffing issues, not at all the same as we started going 10 or so years ago. The Riverboat is greatly improved from what we remember from the first time we lived here 8 years ago. 

Yeah, the Riverboat used to be not all that great. I have heard good things more recently.