Play Calling & Offensive Schemes

BigBlue

We were all a little frustrated that we had to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns in the early part of the Hamilton game.

Do we lack the killer instinct? Were we just unlucky? Were we calling running plays when we should have been passing downfield? Where the Tiger Cat defensive backs playing tighter as they got closer to their own end zone? Was Nichols taking less passing risk when we were in field goal range?

I for one think that Lapo is turning out to be a pretty decent offensive coordinator. I don't think he gets too conservative. I do think he was brilliant in shutting down the Montréal blitz with his dink and dunk. Yes. Lapo loves the short game but there has been more than enough downfield passing as well

I don't think Nichols lacks the ability to pick out a receiver downfield and he doesn't seem to be running for his life from the defensive lineman. We have been getting plenty of YAC from our flat passes and halfback dumps. Is quarterback Nichols perhaps just a cautious protect-the-ball type that keeps the number of interceptions very low? Does he need more of a sense of abandon,  a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" attitude when we get near the oppositions goalposts?

Or do we need to change our strategy and schemes once we get inside the opposition 30 yard line? Do we even feel the need to do that?

One thing for sure, neither our players ability nor attitude changes as we get close to the opposition goal line. But something changes; I just don't know what it is.

Could it be a confidence thing?

I just don't have answers for any of these questions ....

Perhaps we could get a little help from our armchair gurus, please ....

A few times hammy was getting really good pressure on 2nd down in the red zone and killed our momentum. We see some silly play calling, though the TD to JFG was excellent play design and call. 

I dont think its confidence at all. A little bit of blocking, a lil bit better play calling, including sticking to the run more in the first 3/4 of the game.  

The key is first down production, good first down play calls and execution.  I like that we are running frequently enough to make other teams respect it, I like that the screen game is being featured, this is important because Nichols is not a quick release guy, most of the screens allowing our OL to tee off and our YAC guys to get loose, I like that we are running much less empty backfield than the first few weeks of the season and also split backs which holds the opposing SAM and WIL eyes to the backfield leaving more space for our receivers to work in the mid range game.  

Seems to me that avoiding the big turnovers against is key.  Our two losses featured major turnovers that directly led to points.  As long as they avoid those and produce steadily they have a great chance to win any game.

6 hours ago, BigBlue said:

As Solomon said vanity of vanities, all is vanity like the blowing of the wind ... lets all get depressed because nothing satisfies ..... or else we can be endlessly curious about the interesting little things

You know, that just about sums up the value of your unnecessary threads. ;)

20 hours ago, Goalie said:

Didnt we have 2 2 and outs all game? I feel this in an odd time for this topic to come up. 

yep. Maybe our best 4 quarters of offense under this regime. Not for tds, but if you can limit 2 and outs, and keep driving the field eating up TOP and field position you will win a whole lot of football games. Very good over all performance by the offense. 

People complain about bout only getting FGs but Medlock was able to kick 4 FGs after the Bomber offence first had drives of 45 yards, 59 yards, 43, and 43 again.  That's an offence moving the ball.  Besides the fact Hamilton didn't have the ball during these drives, those points were enough for a tie right there.

37 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

People complain about bout only getting FGs but Medlock was able to kick 4 FGs after the Bomber offence first had drives of 45 yards, 59 yards, 43, and 43 again.  That's an offence moving the ball.  Besides the fact Hamilton didn't have the ball during these drives, those points were enough for a tie right there.

This is a beautiful comment. It's one thing to kick field goals after the offense starts in the other teams half of field, but if you march the ball and then have to kick that's great cause you eat up the clock, put the other team on their heels and still get points out of the deal. That's what good teams do to win ball games. 

Just now, pigseye said:

Nichols just pussied out throwing the 3 yard passes when 8 was needed on second down, he even admitted as much in the post game interview.

When you have Adams and Lankford on the field, you have to throw up jump balls and trust they will make the play.

It was apparent last year that Adams had the talent, but I had real doubts Lankford. He has made a believer out of me as a receiver. As a kick returner, he seems to have a hard time finding the seams.

Edited by tracker

29 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Nichols just pussied out throwing the 3 yard passes when 8 was needed on second down, he even admitted as much in the post game interview.

When you have Adams and Lankford on the field, you have to throw up jump balls and trust they will make the play.

Lol. We won by over 20 points. Seriously just whining for the sake of it... 

16 minutes ago, tracker said:

As a kick returner, he seems to have a hard time finding the seams.

It 'seams' he's doing alright. 821 yards over 31 returns in 7 games for an average of 26.5 yards a return. That average is good for 2nd overall, behind only Chris Edwards who has 13 returns. I'd say he's doing pretty good..so take it back. ?

Just now, Mr Dee said:

It 'seams' he's doing alright. 821 yards over 31 returns in 7 games for an average of 26.5 yards a return. That average is good for 2nd overall, behind only Chris Edwards who has 13 returns. I'd say he's doing pretty good..so take it back. ?

I am aware of his stats. He does great when its in a straight line, but from what i can see, that is more a testament to special teams' blocking rather than him making something out of nothing, like the great ones like Gizmo do.

46 minutes ago, tracker said:

It was apparent last year that Adams had the talent, but I had real doubts Lankford. He has made a believer out of me as a receiver. As a kick returner, he seems to have a hard time finding the seams.

We have a real nice mix of receivers right now, this offense is very close to being able to dominate anyone. Nicholls just needs to have a little more faith in those two guys when he gets them matched up one on one.

It now appears that the  Bombers offence has many players  that are reliable play makers, and some that are td threats from almost anywhere on the field.

LaPo and Nichols really spread the  ball around. 

Worth pointing out, Edmonton had some trouble with the Ticats in two games this season.  

31/28, and 33/28

Bombers on the other hand......

Edited by Mark F
editation