Bombers cut Apodaca, Frederick and 9 more

Mike

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Or maybe these qbs they bring in just arent very good and you are one of the many on here who get a boner because a guy can throw a ball far. I mean you are acting like you actually saw him play and he lit stuff up. 

Don't be childish.

I'm pointing out that Danny Mac and Ted Goveia have not successfully recruited a QB development prospect.  Or at least one that fits into the system.

Bethel-Thompson was on the PR for a month.

Bell didn't make TC

Apodaca didn't make it through one pre-season game.

Bennett lasted for a year and the team let him walk.

2 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Agreed but Lefevour is not a stop gap as a backup, imo he's a solid backup option. He'll be a solid replacement if it is necessary to come in. Dom Davis could also be great coming in off the bench. I don't really get what the concern is at this point.

If Davis does improve & shows he can play then LeFevour will be gone next season & they'll bring in qbs they feel they can develop as the #3.

I don't get this they have a starter a guy who has developed into a #2 and emergency 3rd stringer who has won games in the past. Scouting is also looking around the league to see guys who are not living up to potential and giving them a shot to develop under your system. Davis had a preseason with Stamps its not like he was sure thing. They saw something in him. Darvin Adams is another guy played limited snaps with Argos everyone bitched about him signed over all these other receivers available at the time in FA.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Davis does improve & shows he can play then LeFevour will be gone next season & they'll bring in qbs they feel they can develop as the #3.

Quite a few "ifs" there, first Lefevour is only 3 years older than Davis so it's not like we have "the qb of the future" here. I get it that Davis is not a known commodity yet and we don't know what he can do yet but watching practice and based on what happened in the first pre-season games it's pretty close. 

I think it's almost a given barring a spectacular game by Davis thurs that Lefevour will be backup to Nichols as he has quite a bit more experience at this point.

Davis only comes in if Dan fails imo.

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

Quite a few "ifs" there, first Lefevour is only 3 years older than Davis so it's not like we have "the qb of the future" here. I get it that Davis is not a known commodity yet and we don't know what he can do yet but watching practice and based on what happened in the first pre-season games it's pretty close. 

I think it's almost a given barring a spectacular game by Davis thurs that Lefevour will be backup to Nichols as he has quite a bit more experience at this point.

I think its the opposite way around. Davis will get the first shot then Lefevour.

3 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Only O'Shea & LaPo know the score here. Not us. Not going to argue over this.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

....and that can be fully determined in his first appearance with less than a full Q of playing time???  Danny Mac must be an idiot.

Sooo all of the time they have seen him in mini-camp and main camp means nothing??

cool.

21 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I think its the opposite way around. Davis will get the first shot then Lefevour.

I agree. Davis is number two and The Fever is three. He's the insurance that Glenn provided last year. The insurance we complained that we didn't have in the past.

46 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I don't get this they have a starter a guy who has developed into a #2 and emergency 3rd stringer who has won games in the past. Scouting is also looking around the league to see guys who are not living up to potential and giving them a shot to develop under your system. Davis had a preseason with Stamps its not like he was sure thing. They saw something in him. Darvin Adams is another guy played limited snaps with Argos everyone bitched about him signed over all these other receivers available at the time in FA.

I think its fair to be realistic...  Davis has looked better than average in his regular season game and this pre-season game.  He is not the best CFL backup or even best CFL QB prospect by a long shot but I am glad that we have stuck with him and developed him for two years.

This is not an argument that the bombers are the only team that sometimes scouts duds or that we're the only team not developing a QB or that we can't sign free agents...  the concern is that the last 3 prospects have flamed out instantly.

Nichols was not a diamond in the rough where we saw something no one else did... he was a mid-season desperation move after Willy got hurt and Brohm tanked.  Bombers got lucky with him.

I had very high hopes - Danny Mac with his CFL QB experience and Goveia - I thought - had a hand in some of the QB recruiting in Toronto.  But bombers are thin at QB...  LeFevour might be better 'in game' but he's still a poor man's Kevin Glenn.  On the bright side, he's the best of Hamilton's junk QBs that we've brought in.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

@Goalie is having a bad day.

get that man a snickers. 

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Not every GM can be a QB guru like Wally Buono (Garia, Dickenson, Burris, Pierce, Lulay, Reily, Jennings).

what i get from this is we need to either kidnap buono and make him work for the blue, or sell the farm for who ever he has in the wings that he likes... :lol: cmon wally tell us whose next! you can have westerman, our first, and some prime real estate in falcon lake...

1 hour ago, Jaxon said:

I believe it will be Davis at #2, but "the Fever" will come in for short yardage and the odd occasion to offer a change of pace.  I suspect that they will put together a special package for him to run when needed.

I think its gonna come down to the wire at this point. I like what davis did in the pre season game more. He should know our system better. But fever has the experience. Its nice for once to have a battle of QBs that isnt who is less feeble. 

I do wonder if they're going to install any packages for The Fever to run. I don't necessarily know that I want him taking any snaps that are going to result in many throws, but I'd like to see some gadget stuff. He's athletic enough to work it.

Maybe do the old Double QBerooski with The Fever behind center and Dom Davis at wideout.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Not every GM can be a QB guru like Wally Buono (Garia, Dickenson, Burris, Pierce, Lulay, Reily, Jennings).

I suggest that it wasn't Wally who beat the bushes to find these QB's, but the scouting team. Wally can separate the sheep from the goats and fine-tune the QB's he selects, but we really need to amp up the scouting. At this point, McManus and Goveia rate a B- or a C+ as pretty average recruiters. I find it discouraging that in three years, the scouting hasn't found a promising QB beyond Bennett, who is still a question mark in spite of the vast talent of Chris Jones to assess players.

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

So tell me why no member of the media has asked why Apodaca was cut ... is it their job to NOT ask tough questions? Don't rock the boat right?

Did none of them see any potential in Austin?

Its a bit of a puzzlement that a QB could show enough potential to be flown all the way here but yet not be good enough to be kept past the first pre-season game.

36 minutes ago, tracker said:

Its a bit of a puzzlement that a QB could show enough potential to be flown all the way here but yet not be good enough to be kept past the first pre-season game.

Is it really? Guy had tools so they brought him in and maybe discovered there was no toolbox. Not the first player to have that happen, won't be the last.