3 stars plus HH first preseason game edition

wbbfan

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who says we don't want to win??? Of course we do. The team wants to win a championship. The GM, coach & players do. Wbbfan & TBurgess, both your expectations are ridiculous. Win or the season is a failure??? Nichols is a loser. C'mon man, that's just stupid.

What's ridiculous about expecting to win a playoff game or even the Grey Cup? That's what everyone works for every single year.

You're making stuff up. I don't expect that from you.

I didn't say win or the seasons a failure. 

I didn't call Nichols a loser. I called him an average QB at best because he's not a top 4 QB. You really think he is?

Nichols had a career season last year. It was his first and only winning season so far. If he can recreate it or get better, then I may change my opinion on him. It depends on if the wins are because he played really well or if they are due to turnovers like most of our wins last year.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jack Jacobs, Don Jonas, Dieter Brock & Khari Jones say hi.

Jacobs is before my time, but he did win playoff games in more than one year and was in 2 Grey Cups.

Jonas is the only one on your list that didn't at least win playoff game and he only had 1 winning season in Winnipeg. He was a great guy to talk to... a gunslinger who threw more Int's than TD's. I liked him, but I wouldn't call him a great QB, just one who had one great season.

Brock took us to the playoffs 8 times. After his first time, I don't remember, but I likely wondered if he could do it again. 

Jones took us to the playoffs 2000-2003, winning 3 playoff games. 

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What's ridiculous about expecting to win a playoff game or even the Grey Cup? That's what everyone works for every single year.

You're making stuff up. I don't expect that from you.

I didn't say win or the seasons a failure. 

I didn't call Nichols a loser. I called him an average QB at best because he's not a top 4 QB. You really think he is?

Nichols had a career season last year. It was his first and only winning season so far. If he can recreate it or get better, then I may change my opinion on him. It depends on if the wins are because he played really well or if they are due to turnovers like most of our wins last year.

Jacobs is before my time, but he did win playoff games in more than one year and was in 2 Grey Cups.

Jonas is the only one on your list that didn't at least win playoff game and he only had 1 winning season in Winnipeg. He was a great guy to talk to... a gunslinger who threw more Int's than TD's. I liked him, but I wouldn't call him a great QB, just one who had one great season.

Brock took us to the playoffs 8 times. After his first time, I don't remember, but I likely wondered if he could do it again. 

Jones took us to the playoffs 2000-2003, winning 3 playoff games. 

None of those players that said hi ever won a Grey Cup for the Bombers but they were great players in their own right. They were proud to wear the Blue & Gold & fans were proud to cheer them on. Without those guys we wouldn't have a team. Like Jonas in 1971, Nichols led a resurgence of the team last season. I'm glad he's our qb & I hope he has continued & further success. BTW, it takes more than a great qb to win a championship... It's a team game.

I never it isn't a team game.

I never said that the only way to judge a QB is by their record. It is one of things I look at.

BTW: Are you really trying to put Nichols in the same company as some of the Bombers great QB's? At best it's too soon. At worst, in your own words, it's ridiculous.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

How about an offense that isnt among the worst in the league in many  categories and the worst among play off teams?

Worst among playoff teams? Not so.

SEMIS

WPG - 459 yards 42 first downs L

BC -     522 yards 56 first downs W

Edm. - 332 yards 40 first downs W

Ham. - 323 yards 33 first downs L

FINALS

Edm. -  406 yards 37 first downs L

Ottawa - 425 yards 45 first downs W

BC -        373 yards 38 first downs L

Calgary -  531 yards 48 first downs W

Out of these 8 playoff games, I have us #3 in offence...Our defence harmed us more.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I never it isn't a team game.

I never said that the only way to judge a QB is by their record. It is one of things I look at.

BTW: Are you really trying to put Nichols in the same company as some of the Bombers great QB's? At best it's too soon. At worst, in your own words, it's ridiculous.

I'm not trying but he deserves the right to try while he plays. He may turn out to be one of the greats. He got us into the playoffs  & that's a start.

On 2017-06-14 at 4:41 PM, wbbfan said:

How about an offense that isnt among the worst in the league in many  categories and the worst among play off teams?

well if last game has anything to say about it..

On 2017-06-14 at 8:21 PM, Mr Dee said:

SEMIS

FINALS

Out of these 8 playoff games, I have us #3 in offence...Our defence harmed us more.

but don't let logic and stats get in the way of some good ole fashioned bomber starting QB hate.

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

We had our best record in 15 years and people still try to down play Nichols and the QB play. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year with his play, especially the chemistry he has with Denmark, Adams, and Dressler. 

His touch was excellent yesterday, vast improvement from when he first arrived.  Having a great O-line to play behind will do that.

12 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

We had our best record in 15 years and people still try to down play Nichols and the QB play. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year with his play, especially the chemistry he has with Denmark, Adams, and Dressler. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't going to be happy with *anything* this team does until we win a Championship.  It's the sad reality for an organization that hasn't won a Grey Cup in 27 years.

4 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't going to be happy with *anything* this team does until we win a Championship.  It's the sad reality for an organization that hasn't won a Grey Cup in 27 years.

Not to belittle a point...but it's 26 years

Dont throw us to the dogs just yet...

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

His touch was excellent yesterday, vast improvement from when he first arrived.  Having a great O-line to play behind will do that.

As well, getting first team reps every practice & playing full time.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 6/14/2017 at 8:21 PM, Mr Dee said:

SEMIS

FINALS

as in going into the play offs. We were talking about the regular season production. not production in the one play off game. :rolleyes:

https://www.cfl.ca/team-leaders/?season=2016

6th in passing yards, last among play off teams. 2nd last in the league in passing tds. 2nd last in TOP. 2nd last in points scored, including all of medlocks and the Ds points. 

On 6/16/2017 at 11:31 AM, SPuDS said:

well if last game has anything to say about it..

pre season. It doesnt mean our offense will be pure fire any more then the first game means nichols will be replaced by a back up. edms 2nd stringers and down, and sasks 1st stringers as well. All the pre season means right now is we are pretty healthy, and should be about as low rust as we can be for pre season. 

On 2017-06-13 at 7:29 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you want from Nichols? He got us into the playoffs last year & played very well. The "We Can Do Better" Crowd. Always something to complain about. Never satisfied.

it is kind of ridiculous.   All hes done is improved since he got here from his pretty solid last stint in EDM.. really not sure where his detractors are getting this belief that hes playing above his level. 

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

it is kind of ridiculous.   All hes done is improved since he got here from his pretty solid last stint in EDM.. really not sure where his detractors are getting this belief that hes playing above his level. 

Beaten fanbase. We've had any fleeting success ripped away from us as fans for such a long time people just expect the worst. 

46 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Beaten fanbase. We've had any fleeting success ripped away from us as fans for such a long time people just expect the worst. 

yea I suppose.. Sad tho, I mean if people just actually, you know, opened their eyes and looked at his success.. not even just while here but when he was starting in place of Reilly, they would see his stats are pretty solid.  Hes only improved since then IMO. 

On 2017-06-17 at 7:17 PM, wbbfan said:

pre season. It doesnt mean our offense will be pure fire any more then the first game means nichols will be replaced by a back up. edms 2nd stringers and down, and sasks 1st stringers as well. All the pre season means right now is we are pretty healthy, and should be about as low rust as we can be for pre season. 

pre-season or not, we have all seen how QBs can look in pre-season when they are hot garbage lol.  Nichols showed that he is still Nichols.  Accurate, smart with the ball and very few risky plays for the offense or for himself..

On 2017-06-17 at 7:14 PM, wbbfan said:

as in going into the play offs. We were talking about the regular season production. not production in the one play off game. :rolleyes:

https://www.cfl.ca/team-leaders/?season=2016

6th in passing yards, last among play off teams. 2nd last in the league in passing tds. 2nd last in TOP. 2nd last in points scored, including all of medlocks and the Ds points. 

playoff performers are just as important as full season ones.   Our playoffs come down to 1 game x 3.  if you can't get up for the playoff games (see Glenn,Kevin or in some ways Mitchell,Bo levi)  then who cares what you did during the season.. You can set a record for the best CFL season and still not get the Grey cup or even play in it..

11 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

pre-season or not, we have all seen how QBs can look in pre-season when they are hot garbage lol.  Nichols showed that he is still Nichols.  Accurate, smart with the ball and very few risky plays for the offense or for himself..

Yup. I do hope that Nichols/LaPolice do not restrict themselves to a low-risk offense- that would allow defences to key in on those plays. There have to be stretch plays thrown in there as well to shake things up.