Canadian Politics

On 2022-12-09 at 9:28 PM, rebusrankin said:

So you think whomever the PCs pick would win in 2027?Not sure I see such a candidate, weak group to pick from.

I think that we are on the verge of a recession. The NDP will not be able to manage the economy, and fulfill their promises on public services during that time without raising taxes. Raising taxes goes over like a lead balloon in Manitoba. 

Leader? No idea.

On 2022-12-10 at 11:52 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

You are all losing your minds over something that is never going to happen. They can't redraw boundaries into other provincial jurisdictions. Relax for crissakes or get a funny bone. This is all comedy relief. 

Yea....BC and Manitoba are going to cede half their northern mineral reserves and give them Saskatchewan and Alberta. You are correct, this is comedy relief. I don't know if that's intentional or not on Smith's part, and I don't care, she is Alberta's problem.

22 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Sounds like some Boomers did a really crappy job of parenting.

Evidently. Any time I hear political discussion these days it just keeps reminding me of that.

16 hours ago, JCon said:

Almost the entire convoy was made up of white males between 30 and 50. All whiny little insecure man-babies who take no responsibility and want their white-privilege. 

Good thing you had time to go there and count them.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

There are and have been plenty of people on the left, with unacceptable beliefs.  And extremists attach themselves to pretty much every protest. 

Exactly right. The far left stinks just as bad as the far right. 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Since WW2, evert government elected in this province has gotten two terms except for the tories under Sterling Lyon. Not sure a recession and potentially raised taxes gets the PCs back in after one term by the NDP. 

Maybe, maybe not....Wab will need a very good slate of candidates because he is drawing from an awfully underwhelming set of MLAs right now. If he can get some good people around him, and control his temper...who knows.

On 2022-12-09 at 11:11 AM, rebusrankin said:

GC, why do you think Wab will be a one term premier? Who do you think the PCs pick to replace Heather?

I realize this wasn't directly addressed to me but I'll offer my thoughts anyway. I was recently listening to a podcast interview or Mary Barra CEO of GM. Whenever a female CEO or leader is interviewed the topic of glass ceiling comes up, this particular interview introduced a concept referred to as Glass Cliff that I hadn't ever heard before. As I understand the gist is that men put a woman in charge when they know there is no chance of success so that she can take the failure and then they can reset with a new leader and get back to the business of being in charge. Abhorrent behavior without question but I think it fits the MB and AB premiers situations,

Stefanson and Smith will be turfed after losing the unwinnable elections and will be replaced. I have no idea who replaces DS in Alberta but the one person in MB that comes to mind is Scott Fielding, left her mess of a party when they were doomed but returns from the private sector to lead them in victory in the next election.

Why Wab will fail, I can't say for sure. Could he be another Glass Cliff victim but as a minority, not a woman? I just don't think he has the smarts to do the job and too much ego to listen to those that he should.

Agriculture and the small business sector will be what drives this province through these tight economic times. There isn't any $$ for the NDP to court their union buddies and I can't see them being able to gather enough support for a second win.

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Boomers are bar none the most entitled generation going. They were born into a great situation and acted like they earned it and then pulled up the ladder behind them for subsequent generations. 

Please, I'm not a boomer I'm a X'er, it is not bar none. 

Every generation has problems with entitlement and parenting including my generation, your generation and so on.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Why Wab will fail, I can't say for sure. Could he be another Glass Cliff victim but as a minority, not a woman? I just don't think he has the smarts to do the job and too much ego to listen to those that he should.

Agriculture and the small business sector will be what drives this province through these tight economic times. There isn't any $$ for the NDP to court their union buddies and I can't see them being able to gather enough support for a second win.

Wab has MLAs who will hurt the party if he gives them cabinet positions

If he doesn't put them on the back bench, the NDP won't last long, especially if they have a minority

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Shall we mention some of the founding people on the left?

Tommy Douglas: eugenics

Mackenzie King: anti-semitism 

And I liked Chretien/Martin as a Liberal Prime Ministers - but they had as much cronyism going on, as any other leader

If you go looking for warts...you will always find them

Now do this week, last month, last year.  Finding racists, homophobes and eugenicists 20-50 years ago is like shooting fish in a barrel.

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Wab has MLAs who will hurt the party if he gives them cabinet positions

If he doesn't put them on the back bench, the NDP won't last long, especially if they have a minority

The PC's lasted 2 terms and were full of morons.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Now do this week, last month, last year.  Finding racists, homophobes and eugenicists 20-50 years ago is like shooting fish in a barrel.

If I have time, I might.  Nahanni Fontaine in the legislature comes to mind.  Calling others out while saying some pretty despicable stuff, herself

57 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The only thing different about the far left and the far right is the difference in perspective. It is complete ridiculousness to blame all of societies political woes on one side of the spectrum. Just a complete garbage take. For every far right thing you can drag up there can be an equally stupid far left position or statement linked as well. I will not convince you, so it is an exercise in futility just as your research above means nothing to me because I know that this comes from a very small minority of the population and I also know that the media bias on politics right now leaves very little truth in there anyway.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The only thing different about the far left and the far right is the difference in perspective. It is complete ridiculousness to blame all of societies political woes on one side of the spectrum. Just a complete garbage take.

Why so defensive?  I never blamed one side - I only stated that the far right is a much larger threat.  But I guess it's just me and the FBI saying that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-white-supremacists-pose-the-primary-threat-of-domestic-terror-2022-11

"Left-wing violence, by contrast, poses a smaller threat and is likely to consist of "nonlethal" criminal activity, according to the report, which states that far-left extremists, unlike their far-right opponents, are "not organized at the countrywide level.""

Edited by Wideleft

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Why so defensive?  I never blamed one side - I only stated that the far right is a much larger threat.  But I guess it's just me and the FBI saying that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-white-supremacists-pose-the-primary-threat-of-domestic-terror-2022-11

I believe the far left has it's domestic terrorists as well.

18 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The PCs lasted 2 terms and defeated morons. It's kind of *** for tat. I am totally in favor of this CONs government getting the boot. They are rudderless, and really haven't done anything worthwhile since setting the economy back in track in their first term. However, people still remember Selinger and his cabinet of buffoons as well. When the NDP start raising that tax spectre, as they inevitably will have to do, watch the polls. People aren't enamored by Kinew. The best he can hope for is to be tolerated and that doesn't leave him much wiggle room.

Edited by GCn20

20 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I actually don't disagree.  Both parties are a long way from the MLAs Doer, Selinger and even Filmon - had in the house

People like Bjornson, Wight, Caldwell - I don't see that talent in the current legislature - with very few exceptions

And the problem exists in all 3 parties

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I believe the far left has it's domestic terrorists as well.

The PCs lasted 2 terms and defeated morons. It's kind of *** for tat. I am totally in favor of this CONs government getting the boot. They are rudderless, and really haven't done anything worthwhile since setting the economy back in track in their first term. However, people still remember Selinger and his cabinet of buffoons as well. When the NDP start raising that tax spectre, as they inevitably will have to do, watch the polls. People aren't enamored by Kinew. The best he can hope for is to be tolerated and that doesn't leave him much wiggle room.

Believe what you want.  Convince me they pose an equal threat.

38 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

If I have time, I might.  Nahanni Fontaine in the legislature comes to mind.  Calling others out while saying some pretty despicable stuff, herself

Feel free, but include context - because I will find it if you don't.  She has bona fides.

She holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Environmental Studies and International Development from the University of Winnipeg and a Masters Degree in Native Studies, Critical Theory and Women’s Studies from the University of Manitoba. Nahanni is an internationally recognized expert on missing and murdered Indigenous women, girls and two-spirited (MMIWG2S); Indigenous/police relations; Indigenous women and girls human rights; and gender equity in politics. 

https://www.mbndp.ca/st_johns

Edited by Wideleft

46 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Believe what you want.  Convince me they pose an equal threat.

Nah...don't care what you believe. Belief is free to all. As long as you realize that is just your opinion and not actual fact than right on.

But I'll just leave this here anyway:

https://extremism.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2191/f/Anarchist - Left-Wing Violent Extremism in America.pdf

7 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Interesting. Like who? Honest question, I can't think of any.

Google is having trouble finding any too. 

See the link below.

41 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Feel free, but include context - because I will find it if you don't.  She has bona fides.

She holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Environmental Studies and International Development from the University of Winnipeg and a Masters Degree in Native Studies, Critical Theory and Women’s Studies from the University of Manitoba. Nahanni is an internationally recognized expert on missing and murdered Indigenous women, girls and two-spirited (MMIWG2S); Indigenous/police relations; Indigenous women and girls human rights; and gender equity in politics. 

https://www.mbndp.ca/st_johns

Nahanni and Wab are not trusted by native leadership at all. I can tell you that with absolute certainty. Many do not like the way they character assassinated Arlen because he withdrew AMC support for Ashton in the federal election. Don't ask me to prove it, and I don't care if you believe it, but I have this straight from the source from a very high ranking native political player in this province. Many in the native community have their knives out, especially for Nahanni who is the ring leader of this according to my source. Her sister-in-law was the one who lodged the complaint against Arlen that has never been substantiated. Greasy. My own people doing this to each other....disgusting.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Every generation has problems with entitlement and parenting including my generation, your generation and so on.

This. It's almost as if shitty humans with ignorant/uninformed views raise shitty humans with ignorant/uninformed views, irrespective of generation. Fueling the already raging fires of division with the bullshit "your generation is worse than mine" narrative is not helpful.

And if we're going to start up a debate about left vs. right extremism in this country and in the Canadian Politics thread, no less, links to information for another country should probably not be used.

Here's more pertinent information: https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2022/parl/xc76-1/XC76-1-1-441-6-eng.pdf

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Nah...don't care what you believe. Belief is free to all. As long as you realize that is just your opinion and not actual fact than right on.

But I'll just leave this here anyway:

https://extremism.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2191/f/Anarchist - Left-Wing Violent Extremism in America.pdf

See the link below.

I don't think you read your own link.  Just off the top, it assigns all anarchists to the far-left, which totally ignores the Boogaloo Boys.  It suggests that Bill Barr designating certain cities as "anarchist jurisdictions" is a legitimate (and not political) action.

But it does have some facts:

• "By certain metrics, such as human casualties and frequency of attacks, the violence committed by AVE actors in the past decade pales in comparison to other categories of violent extremists"
    • But then:  "Nevertheless, this dynamic is subject to change, 21 and ongoing trends in American society could lead to increased frequency and lethality of AVE attacks."  Do I have to explain to you that this is mere speculation?
  • It cites 7 incidents between 2015-2019 and again lumps anarchists in with the far left without support.  One example is a couple that corresponded with far-right terrorist Dylan Roof.  Another incident is possession of a machine gun, but no plan to use it is cited.  A third incident mentions counter-protesting against a far-right group in Berkeley.
  • And then you get this gem:  "Trend 3: Polarization in the United States may escalate lethality and frequency of AVE-related terrorism".  This is a both sides problem - not a far-left problem - and again - purely speculative.  This paper is falling apart....
  • It keeps lumping anarchists and racially/ethnically motivated groups in with the far left.....aaargggghhhhh!

Please vet what you post.