Canadian Politics

56 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What I'd like to see is a breakdown of what employers/corporations received assistance who likely didn't and likely won't repay what they owe. Bell, Rogers, and Telus all come to mind (https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/02/08/top-telecoms-took-in-almost-a-quarter-billion-dollars-from-canadas-wage-subsidy-program-and-kept-paying-dividends.html)

Government oversight was sorely lacking and an inquiry should be undertaken, but the rampant and reckless greed of slimy corporate interests during a pandemic and their lack of accountability after the fact should make anyone's blood boil, regardless of political lean.

The minister in charge of this was challenged in Parliament this morning and stated that they were area of this and processes were already underway to retrieve the money and see if charges are warranted.

18 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Yet, a sketchy AF video mashed together from a very suspect source is better? 

How do you reconcile that gap in logic?

It's not hate- I don't hate you or any of the people that fall prey to the misinformation- I am just really... and I mean really ******* tired of it and have exhausted my patience with people refuting sound science with sources from some dude named "Armed with knowledge and my AR15" off of facebook that became an expert because of 20k mules or some **** like that. Seriously, three ******* years of this... my once seemingly infinite well of patience has run dry.

It's irritation and being fed up- not hate. 

Well said.

For some, sound science and valid reliable research means leftists in an echo chamber being bamboozled by the 'government' and 'High Tech".

Sound science and valid reliable research could care less about political ideologies and capitalist motives.

There's been a few times sound science and valid reliable research have told me something I didn't like but it didn't matter what I thought.

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Totally agree. I want an inquiry to fix this problem for the future, and I wanna know why so much is unrecoverable. I am not opposed to the pandemic stimulus spending, and I am not opposed to getting it out in a rush. What I am opposed to is how the hell billions of dollars were paid out to people who didn't qualify but is somehow unrecoverable. I get the predicament the government was in, and I just wanna make sure that some answers are given and some planning is in place so that the next time this happens we get full value without the financial abuse. Not trying to pin one on the Liberals here.

Yup, need to examine what went wrong and how to mitigate anything like that from happening in the future.

Yeah, it doesn't matter which government was in place, I am willing to look past blaming a particular party for this... its unprecedented (whole world shuts down for 6 weeks... unheard of)- but it should serve a VALUABLE learning experience. 

43 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The minister in charge of this was challenged in Parliament this morning and stated that they were area of this and processes were already underway to retrieve the money and see if charges are warranted.

Now I will await their follow through because it's been what 2 years now? Talk is cheap. If they actually follow through I will give kudos, but color me skeptical right now.

17 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Yup, need to examine what went wrong and how to mitigate anything like that from happening in the future.

Yeah, it doesn't matter which government was in place, I am willing to look past blaming a particular party for this... its unprecedented (whole world shuts down for 6 weeks... unheard of)- but it should serve a VALUABLE learning experience. 

All I want to see is some actual movement on this. I want the government of the day to step up the efforts in collection and prosecution for offenders, I want the dirt released on all the slimy corporations and citizens that took advantage of a well meaning program, and I want an all parties non-partisan committee to come up with solutions for it not happening again. Before anyone says it, yea I know that all of this is a pipedream.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, max power said:

I mean it doesn't... a lot of it just proves my point, and some of it's based on highly suspect research.

But anyways, the amount of hate you guys are spewing towards me over this is telling too. Freedumb, Flutraxclan, being called an idiot in all sorts of new ways. I came on here originally to comment on the trucker convoys. The attitude by you guys just proves why it was needed. It's disgraceful, and you all think you're the good guys.

But “the strain of anti-intellectualism” writes Asimov, “has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Comes in with nonsense and then complains. 

The ****ing worst. 

Spews drivel and absurdities with condensing tone and words then complains people are mean and unwilling to listen to other viewpoints.

1+1= Orange no matter what you believe lefties.

No it equals 2, check the sanity. Sane people from differing backgrounds, viewpoints are tired of this lunacy. 

pftttt echo chamber sheep, I’m trying to have a civil discussion with you all and this is the welcome I get with looking at it from another side. Wow.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

13 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Spews drivel and absurdities with condensing tone and words then complains people are mean and unwilling to listen to other viewpoints.

1+1= Orange no matter what you believe lefties.

No it equals 2, check the sanity. Sane people from differing backgrounds, viewpoints are tired of this lunacy. 

pftttt echo chamber sheep, I’m trying to have a civil discussion with you all and this is the welcome I get with looking at it from another side. Wow.

No, we should feel sorry for people who can't do even basic research.

Just ***holes, all of them. 

6 hours ago, max power said:

But anyways, the amount of hate you guys are spewing towards me over this is telling too. Freedumb, Flutraxclan, being called an idiot in all sorts of new ways. I came on here originally to comment on the trucker convoys. The attitude by you guys just proves why it was needed. It's disgraceful, and you all think you're the good guys.

There, there

I didn't delete your videos this time

27 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Idk... 

I actually feel sorry for @max power, he is simply a victim of misinformation. It's fascinating how people become blinded and absolutely refuse facts and essential truths. 

There is a major difference between simple ignorance (not knowing) and wilful ignorance where someone chooses to remain unaware of any information that might contradict their state of ignorance.

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Now I will await their follow through because it's been what 2 years now? Talk is cheap. If they actually follow through I will give kudos, but color me skeptical right now.

All I want to see is some actual movement on this. I want the government of the day to step up the efforts in collection and prosecution for offenders, I want the dirt released on all the slimy corporations and citizens that took advantage of a well meaning program, and I want an all parties non-partisan committee to come up with solutions for it not happening again. Before anyone says it, yea I know that all of this is a pipedream.

All I know is that everyone should have received their benefits in crypto. We would have surely avoided this inflationary period that way.

Kidding. I think this is just one of the costs of avoiding the greater evil of people going without benefits being paid where they are actually needed. Agree that all reasonable attempts should be made to recoup non-eligible benefits and charge/expose those that knowingly took advantage, especially large corporations that have a history of using public funds and programs in a manner they are not intended to be used. A non-partisan committee to study how benefits can be dispensed better if/when there's ever an emergency need to do so in the future would be great.

5 hours ago, WildPath said:

All I know is that everyone should have received their benefits in crypto. We would have surely avoided this inflationary period that way.

Kidding. I think this is just one of the costs of avoiding the greater evil of people going without benefits being paid where they are actually needed. Agree that all reasonable attempts should be made to recoup non-eligible benefits and charge/expose those that knowingly took advantage, especially large corporations that have a history of using public funds and programs in a manner they are not intended to be used. A non-partisan committee to study how benefits can be dispensed better if/when there's ever an emergency need to do so in the future would be great.

That's my hope.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This while thing that is going on in society where people think they can just believe away facts they don't like is a cancer on the world and it's high time that the bullshit was stomped out for good. 

Yep..happens at the political extremes. Time for the moderates to demand better than fear mongering in their parties.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Maybe Moe can murder a few more people and get his approval rating up. He does love to drink and drive. 

that ******* province....his approval rating, after how he handled the pandemic, says so much about the population there. Morons from East to West, North to South...

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's not even just in politics. This idea some people have that they can go 20 pages deep in a Google search and find one opinion that matches their belief and call into question legitimate research because of that... stupidity of the highest order. 

I don't think these people realize 83% of Canadians made the simple cooperative decision to get at least the first vaccination, they've chosen a mole hill to die on and they continue to defend it with the mistaken belief they have the backing of the vast majority.  Because of their continued belligerence, voting them off the island seems appropriate, it really comes down to FIFO.

27 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't think these people realize 83% of Canadians made the simple cooperative decision to get at least the first vaccination, they've chosen a mole hill to die on and they continue to defend it with the mistaken belief they have the backing of the vast majority.  Because of their continued belligerence, voting them off the island seems appropriate, it really comes down to FIFO.

And I would add FIFO does not equate with another term a lot of people misuse here, echo chamber.  

In this scenario FIFO does not mean a bunch of radical lefties, libtards, sheep etc etc musing with one another, FIFO means sane people need only apply.

And just to qualify my use of the terms sane and insane, not all people who subscribe to insane drivel are insane but it sure doesn't help with how you're perceived by others, just an unsolicited piece of feedback on my part.

35 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think that they believe that given the "choice", a good number of that 83% wouldn't have got the vax... The government "coerced" everyone into getting the vaccine by putting in restriction and limited our "freedoms" if we didn't get it.