Nichols Contract

B-F-F-C

7 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

So, in  one word this "scares" me. 

I suspect this is Nichols' agent just doing his job and Walters likely knows that. I suspect they'll hammer something out.

6 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

sorry...that's the old banker coming out .  In banking "m" stands for thousands.  So $350m is $350,000.  and $350mm is $35,000,000. 

I've been retired for over 2 years but old habits are hard to break.   :lol::lol:

Hey, I didn't know that. Thanks. Learned something. ^_^

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Plus for once we have an established line which is one of the better ones in the league a group of very capable receivers with a couple game breakers. Along with a elite back. Great situation to be a QB in.

Which gives me great hope that a QB even better than Nichols may land here.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Or he could be just another over hyped young qb who looked good in limited reps and can't sustain it over the long haul. Jury is out on the guy until he proves himself one way or the other. 

Yep. Remember when Sunseri was supposed to be the next annointed one in Riderville? Didn't work out so good for them.

22 minutes ago, J5V said:

Which gives me great hope that a QB even better than Nichols may land here.

I don't get all this belief that Franklin is our forthcoming messiah ... he is showing some nice potential as a backup but once he becomes a starter he will become subject to scrutiny & film study and other stuff .... and once his tendencies are known he may not be as fantastic as the 2nd coming of  Mike Reilly ... we have a proven QB in Nichols who is only going to mature and get better ... we have not yet seen the top of his game.

And besides Edmonton has a certain high value on him for this year although they are not beyond grabbing an arm and a leg from a team willing to offer that much ... if we are  going after him lets pay that high price when he is a free agent ... lets test out Nichols this year and see if we might have the real deal. Let Nichols do it this coming season .... he might surprise us.

Edited by BigBlue

8 minutes ago, tracker said:

To tell the truth, I don't think we would lose much with Glenn behind center. All we need then is a promising backup or two and we are set.

We just saw arguably the two best QBs in the league lead their teams to the GC. QB is that important in the CFL. We just have to get ourselves a blue chip QB, whatever it takes, if we are to win a cup again. Glenn, and Nichols for that matter, are not that QB. 

16 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I don't get all this belief that Franklin is our forthcoming messiah ... he is showing some nice potential as a backup but once he becomes a starter he will become subject to scrutiny & film study and other stuff .... and once his tendencies are known he may not be as fantastic as the 2nd coming of  Mike Reilly ... we have a proven QB in Nichols who is only going to mature and get better ... we have not yet seen the top of his game.

And besides Edmonton has a certain high value on him for this year although they are not beyond grabbing an arm and a leg from a team willing to offer that much ... if we are  going after him lets pay that high price when he is a free agent ... lets test out Nichols this year and see if we might have the real deal. Let Nichols do it this coming season .... he might surprise us.

I dunno. Statistically Nichols was almost a cc of the previous year. He's a good, consistent QB just not a great one. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he is suddenly going to perform at an elite level.

1 hour ago, White Out said:

If Nichols can be had for 375 or less I'm fine with that. But my primary preference is we go with Franklin and possibly finally have a star QB

Nichols will be signed, I have no doubts about that, his agent is just shooting for the moon hoping for the best, they'll reach a reasonable deal. In the mean time I don't have an issue with them trying to get Franklin as well, if nothing else drive up the price that Jones will pay. Bottom line I don't want to do into the year just banking on a young QB breaking through. Seen that movie go south too many times. 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nichols is good enough to win you a GC....no question. With the right team around him (which I think we're close to having) he's more than good enough...

Agreed...but I'd like to see him prove himself that he's not a one hit wonder before we pay him that kind of money 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Nichols will be signed, I have no doubts about that, his agent is just shooting for the moon hoping for the best, they'll reach a reasonable deal. In the mean time I don't have an issue with them trying to get Franklin as well, if nothing else drive up the price that Jones will pay. Bottom line I don't want to do into the year just banking on a young QB breaking through. Seen that movie go south too many times. 

We have 2 draft picks in the 1st round. I don't want us to send that first pick to Edmonton for an unproven rookie qb. We need to still build our Canadian content. If the Riders trade for Franklin & dump Durant, good for them. They'll win 3 games instead of 5 or 6.

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

I don't get all this belief that Franklin is our forthcoming messiah .

Also, we have our own guys, they are being "developed" and people have already given up on them.

anyway, I hope the team doesn't nichol and dime him. That would be a supreme chocke.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, White Out said:

Remember when people said Willy was the younger of the two? And he's months younger than Nichols? 

4 years is a lot when you could make the case he's the next big time qb for th  CFL 

Nice try, but you said that Nichols was no "spring chicken".  At 29, clearly he's not old by QB standards, so you were wrong and trying to move the goal posts doesn't change that

I could see Nichols accepting the mid-range base with incentives taking him to the elite pay range. If Nichols truly believes his best football days are ahead of him, then I hope he'd take the deal. I'll also go on record in saying I'm a believer in Franklin, and would not be the least bit upset to see the Bombers pursue a trade. Did you know they called him Frank the Tank in college? He's got that Cam Newton size and mobility and a strong accurate arm to boot, exactly my kind of QB. At the very least, pitching our hat into ring the they would drive up his asking price and probably expectations as well. As for Dom Davis, I can't recall anyone except maybe a monkey in a suit suggest we move on from him. I thought he looked great at TC, just never really got to see him play when it mattered, which is a shame.

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Question: If Matt Nichols earned 450k next year by throwing for 40 TDs, winning MOP and getting us a Grey Cup, would it be worth it?

New contract: $100,000 a year, $350,000 bonus on condition he leads the Bombers to a Grey Cup win, he gets his $450k contract and the Bombers would be happy to pay him that if he met his bonus Everyone wins :)

Is there a prize to pick the amount of money he is signed for? We know what he might like for salary. We know any club works with the budget for the team, and a salary band for the position. Our guy Matt will not be the highest paid starting QB, he won't be the lowest either, but if the parties want a deal, they'll get it. 

no qb who cant throw the deep ball is worth 400-450k in the cfl. If hank doesnt retire, and if he + durant dont sign before FA begins nichols value goes way down.

Hes worth around that 350k range at tops. Wouldnt be against him being able to earn 400-450k if he produces elite level TDs and maintains a low turnover rate but he certainly hasnt shown to be able to do that currently despite his big up turn this year. 

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

no qb who cant throw the deep ball is worth 400-450k in the cfl. If hank doesn\t retire, and if he + Durant don't sign before FA begins Nichols value goes way down.

He's worth around that 350k range at tops. Wouldn't be against him being able to earn 400-450k if he produces elite level TDs and maintains a low turnover rate but he certainly hasn't shown to be able to do that currently despite his big up turn this year. 

Talk is that Burris is going to go out on top, so he's off the market if this is so. I would put the same offer simultaneously to both Nichols and Durant with the understanding that whoever accepts first gets the contract.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

I could see Nichols accepting the mid-range base with incentives taking him to the elite pay range. If Nichols truly believes his best football days are ahead of him, then I hope he'd take the deal. I'll also go on record in saying I'm a believer in Franklin, and would not be the least bit upset to see the Bombers pursue a trade. Did you know they called him Frank the Tank in college? He's got that Cam Newton size and mobility and a strong accurate arm to boot, exactly my kind of QB. At the very least, pitching our hat into ring the they would drive up his asking price and probably expectations as well. As for Dom Davis, I can't recall anyone except maybe a monkey in a suit suggest we move on from him. I thought he looked great at TC, just never really got to see him play when it mattered, which is a shame.

Bennett intrigues me more than Davis. I'd be more than willing to see his stock rise on the Bomber depth chart.