Grey Cup Sunday

Mr Dee

6 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Jason Maas and Chris Jones might have something to say about that...

Honestly, it's a toss up between him and Jones....really is......and Maas is gaining ground, but doesn't have as long a history of being a ****** canoe........yet.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/11/28/10-million-canadians-watch-the-104th-grey-cup-presented-by-shaw/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Grey Cup continues to be one of the country’s biggest television events, with 10 million unique viewers, or nearly 30% of Canadians, tuning in to TSN and RDS for last night’s overtime thriller at the 104th Grey Cup presented by Shaw, according to preliminary overnight data from Numeris. Overall, the total reach grew 3% compared to last year.

An average audience of 3.9 million viewers tuned in to TSN (3.6 million) and RDS (254,000) as the Ottawa REDBLACKS’ secured a dramatic 39-33 OT win over the Calgary Stampeders in what was one of the greatest CFL championship games in league history.

The average audience for the 104th Grey Cup presented by Shaw peaked at 5.7 million viewers late in the fourth quarter as a Calgary field goal forced the game into overtime, which saw Ottawa’s Ernest Jackson secure an 18-yard strike from Grey Cup MVP Henry Burris for the game’s decisive score.

Nationwide, the average audience for the game grew 15% among male viewers aged 18-34, and grew 4% among male viewers aged 18-49.

TSN’s exclusive live coverage of the 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw also made TSN the most-watched channel in Canada on Sunday, ahead of all conventional network overnight audiences by 151%.

Additional ratings highlights:

• Live streaming audiences on TSN Digital platforms marked an increase of 35% compared to last year’s Grey Cup

• The neon-lit halftime performance by multi-platinum rockers OneRepublic during the Freedom Mobile Grey Cup Halftime Show attracted an average audience of 3.5 million viewers

• An average audience of 1.9 million viewers stayed to watch TSN’s extensive post-game coverage

• TSN’s 360-video pre-game content – a GREY CUP production first – attracted more than 18,000 total views

• TSN’s official Snapchat story featuring behind-the-scenes content from the 104th Grey Cup presented by Shaw attracted 219,000 views

The 104th Grey Cup presented by Shaw caps off a successful CFL on TSN season that saw the average audience for regular season games grow 3% overall, and 7% in the key 18-49 demographic nationwide. As well, the CFL’s Western and Eastern Semi-Finals marked an increase of 14% compared to last year, attracting 1.1 million and 903,000 viewers to TSN, respectively.

The 104th Grey Cup also saw some major gains globally. On Grey Cup Sunday, there were a total of 155,000 Tweets – a 52% increase compared to 2015 and a 74% increase compared to 2014. There were also a total of 224,000 Grey Cup related Tweets during all of Grey Cup Week which included 131,000 Tweets using the #GreyCup emoji hashtag.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

^^ The other side of the coin is that the ratings are down 12% from last year, according to non-TSN spun tweets (Drew Edwards)... 

With so many dismal, non-competitive teams this year, it would not be a surprise. There has to be drama to games, and butt-kickings are only good for the team on top.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

With so many dismal, non-competitive teams this year, it would not be a surprise. There has to be drama to games, and butt-kickings are only good for the team on top.

Regular season was up, the GC game itself was down 12%...

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

try reading the comments at 3d down nation. Lot of people seem to dislike Bo more than Henry.

best comment I saw

"There's a lot of parody in the league"

meta parody?

As in... "the Riders were a parody of a real football team"...

Edited by bearpants

I thought the half time was excellent, good band, good sound, no B.S.

Grey Cup down.... I heard someone, a media person on TSN being interviewed by Rick Ralph that was part of the TSN group working all week in Toronto.

He said that they had "garbage" thrown at them all week by people in Toronto about the league and the game. That the league is second rate.

Made me wonder, does this league need Toronto? I for one would be happy to see them go, if it would work. Toronto is a downward drag, and I'm tired of them.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

I thought the half time was excellent, good band, good sound, no B.S.

Grey Cup down.... I heard someone, a media person on TSN being interviewed by Rick Ralph that was part of the TSN group working all week in Toronto.

He said that they had "garbage" thrown at them all week by people in Toronto about the league and the game. That the league is second rate.

Made me wonder, does this league need Toronto? I for one would be happy to see them go, if it would work. Toronto is a downward drag, and I'm tired of them.

Maybe rename them a suburb city like Mississauga or something

Just returned from my annual Grey Cup Trek.

1.  That was an excellent game.

2.  Vanier Cup in Hamilton was also a great game....glad we drove down for it.

3.  The Cup does get a bit lost in Toronto compared to other cities but there are advantages too.....good transportation, lots of hotel rooms, lots of restaurants.

4.  BMO field >>>>Skydome.   No comparison.  I had great seats with a great view of the field.   I was surrounded by Argo fans, and they were awesome.  I know some people on here get critical of the attendance in TO, but there are some great fans there too.

5.  The organizers seriously overpriced the game tickets, and then made adjustments.  In the end the place was full, and it was a great game.  Hopefully the league steps in and learns from this.

6.  I'm pumped for next year in Ottawa.

19 hours ago, Jaxon said:

4.  BMO field >>>>Skydome.   No comparison.  I had great seats with a great view of the field.   I was surrounded by Argo fans, and they were awesome.  I know some people on here get critical of the attendance in TO, but there are some great fans there too.

I don't think anyone doubts that there is a core, die-hard fan base there... the problem is when that hardcore fan base is only about 3,000-5,000 people...

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

I don't think anyone doubts that there is a core, die-hard fan base there... the problem is when that hardcore fan base is only about 3,000-5,000 people...

I don't disagree.   I'm just optimistic that with the team moving to BMO Field, if they work it correctly, they can develop a stronger fan base.   Attendance is good in Hamilton and in Ottawa, and yes I do understand the differences in the cities.   The Argos need to understand that from a ticket price perspective, their competition is the lowest price points that TFC and BlueJays tickets go for.   If they adjust their lower end tickets, and put a better team on the field, I believe that they will attract better crowds.  No reason that they can't get 25,000 plus out regularly.

42 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

With its comparably small but growing audience, the CFL can take chances where other traditional leagues cannot.

Yes, 10 Million people tuned in for the game on Sunday. That's almost a one-third of the country. That's pretty small.

(Or, another put it another way, 9.99 Million more people watched the Grey Cup than ever purchased a Rheostatics album)

Edited by JCon

18 hours ago, JCon said:

With its comparably small but growing audience, the CFL can take chances where other traditional leagues cannot.

Yes, 10 Million people tuned in for the game on Sunday. That's almost a one-third of the country. That's pretty small.

(Or, another put it another way, 9.99 Million more people watched the Grey Cup than ever purchased a Rheostatics album)

This guy was in the Rheostatics?? Great song:

I am a big advocate for Canadian music...