You be the Boss

Fred C Dobbs

Well Fred.....it's looking more and more likely that Durant won't be in rider green next year, if you believe some of the reporting....So Durant is going to sign somewhere???Too early though as he could still re-up in Regina....Wouldn't that just put the icing on the cake though....Durant signing here and throwing to Dressler and Smith in their new digs/ Labour Day and then back at the Banjo...heh heh..

There are a few opportunities for Durant in the league but Winnipeg is definitely not one of them.  Durant would be the appointed starter in Montreal and Toronto. 

If not the Riders.  Durant will be wearing double blue or red, white and blue next year.     

5 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

There are a few opportunities for Durant in the league but Winnipeg is definitely not one of them.  Durant would be the appointed starter in Montreal and Toronto. 

If not the Riders.  Durant will be wearing double blue or red, white and blue next year.     

I suspect he'll be in Montreal. They could use a veteran starter as they bring up a young QB.

Assuming, of course, he doesn't stay in Regina.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It would take a monster ridiculous payday for Nichols to bolt. I know there's teams that'll be interested, but I think we'll get him back. I just can't see someone giving him the moon...

Yup because money can't guarantee everything, i.e, a starting position, a loyal headcoach, a great supporting cast, familiarity with management, a previously successful season to work off, an understanding of the city and it's fans etc etc.   

7 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

It's time for the Sun's annual "You be the Boss" survey and I wonder if Penton knows something that we don't:

Hes a FA thats all i think that is. A bit surprised he didnt put hank on the list too. 

Durant and to a lesser extent hank gives the team a better chance to win in the very short term. You cant rely on either one though. Even for a season Its hard to see them going the full 18 games at this point in time. Durant is better then hank, but more of an injury concern. 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

What if Nichols bolts in free agency? Do we roll with Glenn & Davis or go fishing?

We probably knee jerk and over pay for richards or sign hank/durant to come in with glenn. 

Best case scenario imop;

Re sign nichols. Doesnt go into camp guaranteed the starters job, has to win it. 

Bring in durant or bring back glenn.

Only one of davis and bennett. Ideally bennett. Similar skill sets and lacks of experience, but bennett is a better athlete, and much younger.

Bring in a rookie 4th to provide an extra arm and push davis/bennett. Ideally some one with a unique skill compared to what we have. A gunslinger who excels at the deep ball. 

1 minute ago, tracker said:

I have been optimistic about Bennett since they have signed him. He has size, a very good arm and runs like a deer. Don't know how coachable or smart he is, though.

His lack of experience behind center could actually be a positive to coaching. When a guy was a starting star QB in HS for 2-3 years some times more, and then 4 years in college it often really limits how much they can be taught. So much of what they do is baked in after 6-7 years, to reprogram hard wired tendencies with reading and passing is probably the hardest thing in all of coaching (football).

Not to mention his 2nd year in college was a big drop off from his first, and from his hype. 

Hes has the michael bishop / kerry joseph skill set. Which attracts lots of people. Big strong all around great athlete with a strong arm. But similarly struggles with accuracy. Very much like bishop in terms of the long ball (not as strong an arm of course) no wr is going to out run his toss, but lacks touch and accuracy deep. Playing a lot of short dink and dunk pass offense especially in his last year of college translates well to our system. But i dont hold my breath on any QB who struggles with accuracy, especially struggles with short-medium accuracy. If we didnt bring him back i wouldnt think twice about the loss. He is the type of skill set I love to as a no3 qb though. Using him as a holder on special teams, short yardage sneaker etc maybe even in an option package guy. I think all the snaps davis got in practice was to evaluate him. Get an idea if he can take a step forward next year to threaten becoming a starter. Older, weaker arm, equally struggles with the deep pass, better athlete then glenn/nichols but not nearly as good as bennett, similarly a heavy lack of experience and consistently in the experience he has, much more accurate short to medium passer though. Between the two id handily pick bennett to move forward with. While id love to get a well rounded thoroughbred QB with the tools just needing polish, that would be expensive. When we will allready very likely be paying nichols starter money, and higher level back up like glenn decent money too Id be happy to stick with a young guy who knows the system and has been in the league even on the pr/pre season over further investing a  ton of money at QB. 

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

Nichols is a good qb. certainly good enough to take the team far.

We need help elsewhere.

Fully agree. Nichols in my opinion proved he a #1 qb. He may not be as high up there as BLM buy he's more than capable of getting us wins. If he had started the first 4 game of the season, I believe he would've finished some where in the 43-4500 yard range and maybe another win or two for our team.

9 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Fully agree. Nichols in my opinion proved he a #1 qb. He may not be as high up there as BLM buy he's more than capable of getting us wins. If he had started the first 4 game of the season, I believe he would've finished some where in the 43-4500 yard range and maybe another win or two for our team.

Having seen what we did out of nichols the previous year behind a poor OL, if we started with him at the beginning of the season behind that turnstile OL that even harris couldnt run with he has a better chance of ending the season on the IR then with even better production. We went from giving up double digit hits and among the most sacks with a sub 3 yards per carry to among the fewest qb hits and harris finished with 5 ypc. Also you have you consider how nichols looked behind the banged up OL at the end of the regular season. His worst stretch of the season by far. He also came in at such a low point any production was a spark. Having that support and momentum could have been very important to him. Cant say for sure, but if he starts the season he certainly doesnt have that. If any thing, he has high expectations. He may not have had the long leash in that situation as well, for playing good 2nd halfs with poor first halfs and at one point back to back bad halfs one game to the next. 

If he started with the superior OL, and denmark I could see him having a good bump in production and winning another 2 games maybe more. But again, cant say how he'd react and perform in that situation. Assuming he is back and wins the spot / is given it we will see next year. 

He certainly did prove to be a no1 qb in the league though, in that 2nd tier with guys who are former top tier, or top tier quality guys who cant be relied on like he can. 

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup because money can't guarantee everything, i.e, a starting position, a loyal headcoach, a great supporting cast, familiarity with management, a previously successful season to work off, an understanding of the city and it's fans etc etc.   

Exhibit A: Bombers attempts to lure Henry Burris and Zach Collaros heading into the 2014 season.

Nichols is no Bo-Levi Mitchell, and may not be as good as Jennings or Reilly, but with a good supporting cast, I think he is good enough to challenge for the Grey Cup. I would like to see him take off 2-3 times per game if the play is there to shake up the opposition.

19 hours ago, tracker said:

Nichols is no Bo-Levi Mitchell, and may not be as good as Jennings or Reilly, but with a good supporting cast, I think he is good enough to challenge for the Grey Cup. I would like to see him take off 2-3 times per game if the play is there to shake up the opposition.

Hes lights out when hes on, but thats far too seldom. Through the first like 4-5 games he had some thing like 14 tds and 1 pick. Thats elite top level production. His last 9 or so he had 4. Thats not. Similar story with harris in ottawa. Both those guys are in the same 2nd tier of cfl qbs as nichols. But those guys cant seem to stay healthy, and play a half a season or less then disapear. Where as nichols is normally very good in the second half of a game and a crap shoot in the first half. But that consistency puts him ahead of those guys despite their ability to play at the elite level. I wouldnt want to take a gamble on either. Hank, ray and a couple others are in the same boat. Nichols doesnt have that ceiling, but he has a much better basement. 

An interesting note from kyle walters end year presser going on right now, he said re signing nichols is his top priority. Mentioned he plop and buck will sit down and do final qb evaluations in the coming weeks and see if one of the young guys will step up. Mentioned mcleod bethel thompson too, so he might have been released and either kept in town, or let go with the intent of coming back for camp next year. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Nichols is like the new Kevin Glenn and I mean that in a good way. They are a bit different in terms of their mentality but I think you can win with either of them but there is always a sexier option out there. 

id say thats a good way to put it. though glenns best football here was pretty sexy. If nichols had a year next year like glenns best we'd be in phenomenal shape.