You be the Boss

Fred C Dobbs

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Harris probably the better overal back but Charles is the better runner.

Hard to say. Blink was even deadlier catching the ball out of the back field, a better rusher and was amazing on teams. Blink is def the better over all back and player. Harris is a more effective blocker, but blink as mike sellers battering ram was pretty effective too :lol:

The results are in:

Bomber fans have spoken, and they believe the team's Grey Cup drought is going to end in November 2018.

Nearly 1,400 people responded to our annual You Be The Boss poll. They believe the future is bright for the Blue and Gold, who snapped their four year playoff drought with an 11-7 record but fell in the West semifinal.

We asked how many more years it's going to take the Bombers to win the Grey Cup, and the answer that got the most votes (49%) was two years. To get there, the team's supporters believe the defence must get better; 60% of respondents feel that part of the squad needs to improve the most.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/11/22/youre-the-boss-what-the-bombers-need-to-do-in-2017

18 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Seriously... who the hell is Darryl Stevenson and why is his opinion the most important?... Did Penton intentionally pick someone clueless to try and make the fanbase look stupid??

They always pick a quote that fits their sensationalistic (See: Rampantly Negative) M.O......ridiculous.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:44 PM, Noeller said:

smh at the guy calling for a 1 year extension for MOS....oi vey.......

every coach in the cfl (unless your name is buono) is year to year. Shorter term deals with options would be much better coming off far too many years of paying a fist full of coaches not to coach here. The turn around this year was great, but if it isnt sustained next year and mos gets canned being on the hook for 3 years of salary would be brutal. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

every coach in the cfl (unless your name is buono) is year to year. Shorter term deals with options would be much better coming off far too many years of paying a fist full of coaches not to coach here. The turn around this year was great, but if it isnt sustained next year and mos gets canned being on the hook for 3 years of salary would be brutal. 

3 years of a coaches salary isn't going to affect the salary cap .... carrying on with a failed coach will kill attendance and possibly threaten the franchise's survival ... but I agree with you in that a two year extension is more than enough and probably quite satisfactory .... three years is for winning a Grey Cup, not for finally gettinng your team ouit of the basement .... we have a little momentum here ... lets not kill it by firing the coach ... the only thing that  would be worse is getting too stingy with QB money again

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I'd like to know all the coaches who have a 1 year contract....

48 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

3 years of a coaches salary isn't going to affect the salary cap .... carrying on with a failed coach will kill attendance and possibly threaten the franchise's survival ... but I agree with you in that a two year extension is more than enough and probably quite satisfactory .... three years is for winning a Grey Cup, not for finally gettinng your team ouit of the basement .... we have a little momentum here ... lets not kill it by firing the coach ... the only thing that  would be worse is getting too stingy with QB money again

Its not a salary cap issue... its a publicly owned team with a mountain of debt and despite a turn around year mediocre attendance. As in total money problem.

Im not worried about carrying on with greater failure, if we see a bad first half next year i dont think mos last the year. But then paying him for 2 more years and paying another HC could be crippling. 

What do you mean getting stingy with qb money again? Weve been paying pretty good money for qbs, the only thing i can think is glenn. Who was older perceived as injury prone and not a mack guy. he wasnt a cost casualty he was a gm who thinks hes god casualty imop.

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'd like to know all the coaches who have a 1 year contract....

Id like to know where you got 1 year contract from that... as in, what have you done lately. as in defending grey cup and coach of the years being fired the next year as in coaches who didnt miss the play offs in years getting fired etc. Unless your name is buono, you dont have a long leash. Giving 3 year deals with the half life of a HC in the cfl is a huge gamble with little reward. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Id like to know where you got 1 year contract from that... as in, what have you done lately. as in defending grey cup and coach of the years being fired the next year as in coaches who didnt miss the play offs in years getting fired etc. Unless your name is buono, you dont have a long leash. Giving 3 year deals with the half life of a HC in the cfl is a huge gamble with little reward. 

I interpreted your comment the exact same way - that coaches not named Buono were given 1-year contracts.

Of course any HC could be fired at any point.

If the market demands 3-year deals, that's what you get. Walters doesn't get any special consideration when negotiating with MOS just because coaches get fired before their deals are done.

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

I interpreted your comment the exact same way - that coaches not named Buono were given 1-year contracts.

Of course any HC could be fired at any point.

If the market demands 3-year deals, that's what you get. Walters doesn't get any special consideration when negotiating with MOS just because coaches get fired before their deals are done.

In that case no im not talking contracts im talkin job security. 

Its not that they can be, its the frequency that it happens. Even to coaches who had big years recently. 

I think your giving mos and coaches in the cfl too much credit. Look at the HCs in the cfl right now and look at how many of them were HCs 5 years ago. This isnt like the early 2ks when half the teams in the league had great old coaches and rookie HCs were few and far between. Today the league has a few young up and comers, etc. 

" What do you mean getting stingy with qb money again?

The last time we were lavish with QB money was on Matt Dunnigan .... but paying Willy 450 (if true) was foolish .... we need to retain Nichols, sensibly but emphatically ... and if a great deal comes up go for it with all we got ... Franklin is a promising unknown quantity .... you can't mortgage the farm for him ... I wonder how Bennett would have looked with the same game time Franklin got .... maybe we will find out in Regina

4 hours ago, yogi said:

http://3downnation.com/2016/09/02/numbers-matt-nichols-drew-willy-contract-details/

It's not, and the most basic level of fact checking would have taught you this.

Its already been ststed over and over that it is incentive based .... but the big bonus next spring is what killed retaining him .... you are awfully condescending

On 24/11/2016 at 7:11 PM, wbbfan said:

Hard to say. Blink was even deadlier catching the ball out of the back field, a better rusher and was amazing on teams. Blink is def the better over all back and player. Harris is a more effective blocker, but blink as mike sellers battering ram was pretty effective too :lol:

Blink was not the greatest pass catcher out of the backfield - both numbers and observation have shown that over the years

Fantastic rusher but receiving was not his forte

I think people forget how truly special Charles Roberts really was.. 4 straight years of over 1500 yards rushing, only in his last year in Winnipeg was his YPC under 5 and from 2004-2006 in his prime he played under argueably one of the worst o-lines in CFL history. The guy was a special talent.

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think people forget how truly special Charles Roberts really was.. 4 straight years of over 1500 yards rushing, only in his last year in Winnipeg was his YPC under 5 and from 2004-2006 in his prime he played under argueably one of the worst o-lines in CFL history. The guy was a special talent.

Nobody ever made more outta less... 

Love that video. Makes me happy to think that I was able to witness his special abilities both in person and on tv, rather than just hearing about them from older bomber fans like I do with Ken Ploen and other legends.

I wish the bombers and CFL would create more video's of special players, plays and games and leave them up on their website. One of the things that keep my attention in football is being able to get cherished memories from any possible game that can live on through conversations with others... "Remember that time that...." One of my favourites with my dad is remembering that time we were leaving and Westwood won the game on a 55 yard field goal.

I know I sure wouldn't mind re-watching that Bomber-Eskimo game when Milt made his miracle catch rather than watching garbage TV.

18 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Love that video. Makes me happy to think that I was able to witness his special abilities both in person and on tv, rather than just hearing about them from older bomber fans like I do with Ken Ploen and other legends.

I wish the bombers and CFL would create more video's of special players, plays and games and leave them up on their website. One of the things that keep my attention in football is being able to get cherished memories from any possible game that can live on through conversations with others... "Remember that time that...." One of my favourites with my dad is remembering that time we were leaving and Westwood won the game on a 55 yard field goal.

I know I sure wouldn't mind re-watching that Bomber-Eskimo game when Milt made his miracle catch rather than watching garbage TV.

Sounds like you could spend hours on YouTube. I watched the 13th green man just last night...

Youtube is one thing, but having team produced videos. Maybe something like they've done for Stegall when honouring him or other players. The Roberts clip package is cool, but low quality. The team could do so much more, maybe show clips of old interviews or stuff to show the personality and such. For me that is what cements people into die hard fans. During the rough years, talking about swaggerville or other outstanding moments/eras/games/players are what's kept me with this team.