US Politics

Rich

Today in an interview, Madison Cawthorne admitted that he brought more than one firearm to the January 6th attempted insurrection. It will be interesting to see if there will be any consequences to this. Probably not.

Edited by Tracker

8 minutes ago, do or die said:

New idiot contender:

Reading just the article title........ the letters R and GOP flashed into my head.   And of course, once again......

Pundit ripped for criticizing Zelensky's attire for address
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/598424-pundit-ripped-for-criticizing-zelenskys-attire-for-address

Douchebag and coward. 

Idaho County GOP Tried to Infiltrate Dems, Steal Their Cash & Install ‘F-list Antisemitic Troll’ to Lead Them

Republicans in Kootenai County, Idaho are changing their party affiliations—not because they’re fed up with the GOP but because they’re trying to infiltrate a local Democratic party and carry out a hostile takeover.

The plot, first reported by the Coeur d’Alene Press last week, is only the latest bizarre stunt by one of the nation’s most off-the-rails Republican committees. This week on Fever Dreams, hosts Asawin Suebsaeng and Kelly Weill take a virtual road trip to Kootenai County, where local Republicans have recently passed resolutions endorsing the far-right John Birch Society and immigrations privileges for a leader of Austria’s white nationalist scene. A new recorded phone call from a Kootenai County GOP leader appears to reveal a plot to, in the leader’s own words, “take over the Democrat Party” by installing covert Republicans in uncontested Democratic leadership races.

If successful, Kootenai Republicans allegedly planned to redirect Democratic funds to conservative causes, and to install the antisemitic troll Dave Reilly as the new Democratic leader.

“Reilly is sort of this F-list antisemitic troll,” Weill says. “He recently ran for school board in the area, despite saying he would never enroll children in public schools.”

Reilly appeared to confirm the plot on Thursday, tweeting that “today, I registered as a Democrat and filed to become a Precinct Captain.” The tweet, which included a picture of Reilly’s apparent voter registration, went on to accuse Democrats of “Left Wing Extremism.”

It’s a bizarre plot—one that could just as easily be achieved, Suebsaeng says, “by winning over more people there so they’re voting for you, thus depriving the Democratic party of any actual power in the area.”

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/idaho-county-gop-tried-infiltrate-081309933.html

Idaho's Proposed Abortion Ban Lets Rapists' Families Profit Off Bounties

“If I have an abortion, it is no business of my brother, my brother-in-law, his wife or anyone else in my family,” a Democratic state lawmaker said.

An Idaho bill that would allow a pregnant woman’s family members to sue abortion providers also includes a controversial twist. It would allow a rapist’s family members to sue the victim’s doctor under the same proposal, the legislation’s Republican sponsor confirmed this week.

The Idaho bill, S.B. 1309, is modeled after Texas’ 6-week abortion ban that went into effect in September. It’s different, however, in that it limits who can sue once a woman obtains an abortion. Under the Idaho law, abortion providers can be sued by the patient, the father of a fetus or their family members.

The bill does include an exception for rape or incest, although it forces women to file a police report and provide it to a physician. If a woman fails to do so before an abortion, the rapist’s family members could sue and collect damages.

Damages start at $20,000, raising concerns a patient’s abortion could allow others to greatly profit off the bounties. The bill is broad enough that abortion advocates worry it will effectively ban abortion in the state at around 6 weeks when many women don’t yet know they’re pregnant.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/idaho-texas-abortion-ban-rapists_n_6232b8bae4b046c938d6ac96

45 minutes ago, Tracker said:

“If I have an abortion, it is no business of my brother, my brother-in-law, his wife or anyone else in my family,” a Democratic state lawmaker said.

An Idaho bill that would allow a pregnant woman’s family members to sue abortion providers also includes a controversial twist. It would allow a rapist’s family members to sue the victim’s doctor under the same proposal, the legislation’s Republican sponsor confirmed this week.

The Idaho bill, S.B. 1309, is modeled after Texas’ 6-week abortion ban that went into effect in September. It’s different, however, in that it limits who can sue once a woman obtains an abortion. Under the Idaho law, abortion providers can be sued by the patient, the father of a fetus or their family members.

The bill does include an exception for rape or incest, although it forces women to file a police report and provide it to a physician. If a woman fails to do so before an abortion, the rapist’s family members could sue and collect damages.

Damages start at $20,000, raising concerns a patient’s abortion could allow others to greatly profit off the bounties. The bill is broad enough that abortion advocates worry it will effectively ban abortion in the state at around 6 weeks when many women don’t yet know they’re pregnant.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/idaho-texas-abortion-ban-rapists_n_6232b8bae4b046c938d6ac96

Wonder if RU486 allowed?

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I'll state the obvious here.

In reality, for this to be not shut down automatically after coming out of some imbecile's mouth for the first time tells us the whole system is corrupt and run by extremely bad people who have rationalized to themselves and others that they are good people and of high character.

Examples like this are proving that not all issues have 'both sides have good points'.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Imagine this. My son rapes a woman. Woman completely broken, scared, scarred for life with no social support networks in place impeding her ability to file a police report and seek any sort of help. I catch wind of this happening, lets say 1 to 2 weeks after the rape and also have been informed the victim, because of my son's illegal actions, had to go thru an intrusive medical procedure to abort the fetus.  Instead of me automatically/instantly hauling my son down to the police station as well as providing as much support I could for this victim and her family, I instead contact a lawyer to begin the proceedings of a lawsuit against her and her family.

Yea sure there's lots of sides to this issue all making good points ffs.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Imagine this. My son rapes a woman. Woman completely broken, scared, scarred for life with no social support networks in place impeding her ability to file a police report and seek any sort of help. I catch wind of this happening, lets say 1 to 2 weeks after the rape and also have been informed the victim, because of my son's illegal actions, had to go thru an intrusive medical procedure to abort the fetus.  Instead of me automatically/instantly hauling my son down to the police station as well as providing as much support I could for this victim and her family, I instead contact a lawyer to begin the proceedings of a lawsuit against her and her family.

Yea sure there's lots of sides to this issue all making good points ffs.

Christianity is a hell of a drug. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Christianity is a hell of a drug. 

"Christianity" as it is practiced in many places all around the world bears little to no resemblance to what it started out as. There is only one gospel book the gospel of Thomas which has not gone through multiple translations and editing. Thomas was the disciple whom Jesus who became the Christ spoke often with in private and so often that several of the other disciples were jealous. The book, "Beyond Belief- The Gospel of Thomas" was translated directly from Aramaic after it was found in a Coptic Church in Egypt in 1948. The theologian who wrote it was motivated by the pain and grief following the loss of her son and sought comfort from scripture that was not shaped by rich angry old men. It is a wonderful, enlightening read and paints a dramatically different picture of the teachings of the Christ.

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

"Christianity" as it is practiced in many places all around the world bears little to no resemblance to what it started out as. There is only one gospel book the gospel of Thomas which has not gone through multiple translations and editing. Thomas was the disciple whom Jesus who became the Christ spoke often with in private and so often that several of the other disciples were jealous. The book, "Beyond Belief- The Gospel of Thomas" was translated directly from Aramaic after it was found in a Coptic Church in Egypt in 1948. The theologian who wrote it was motivated by the pain and grief following the loss of her son and sought comfort from scripture that was not shaped by rich angry old men. It is a wonderful, enlightening read and paints a dramatically different picture of the teachings of the Christ.

The gospel of Thomas is fantastic:

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

But there's not much in it that you wouldn't find in other 4 gospels. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

The gospel of Thomas is fantastic:

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

But there's not much in it that you wouldn't find in other 4 gospels. 

In my view, there is. Our Creator is not portrayed and as detached, vengeful deity condemning for even minor transgressions, but as endlessly patient parent who does not need intermediaries, but is capable and willing to connect to and guide us. This view diminishes the roles of clergy and organized religion and places the responsibility for our choices on us. Little wonder that many churches discount this gospel as heretical.

24 minutes ago, Tracker said:

In my view, there is. Our Creator is not portrayed and as detached, vengeful deity condemning for even minor transgressions, but as endlessly patient parent who does not need intermediaries, but is capable and willing to connect to and guide us. This view diminishes the roles of clergy and organized religion and places the responsibility for our choices on us. Little wonder that many churches discount this gospel as heretical.

You don"t find that in 4 gospels? Interesting. (Not a good place to have this discussion) 

53 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup maybe not the right thread but I find this discussion really interesting from a learning standpoint.

Someone needs to start a Philosophy Debate thread. I had a period where I voraciously read as many religous texts and books on the history of religion as I could. The history of Christianity is particularly fascinating. Most Christians know very little of it.

Roger Stone unveils a doozy of a plan to install Donald Trump as president

Longtime right-wing political henchman Roger Stone on Thursday revealed his new plan to install Donald Trump into the presidency. Speaking to the Republican Accountability Project, Stone shared his blueprint for, as he sees it, rectifying the crime of Trump's defeat to President Joe Biden in the 2020 election.

The three-point plan goes as follows:

First, Stone expects the House of Representatives to elect Trump as its Speaker if they retake control of the lower congressional chamber in this year's midterm elections. This is permitted in the United States Constitution. Literally, anybody whom a majority of the House chooses can hold the gavel as long as they meet the basic qualifications for getting elected, which in the House is any citizen 25 years of age and up.

Next, Stone predicts that Biden's Cabinet will invoke the 25th Amendment to remove him from office. Over what, he did not say.

In the final stage, according to Stone, Congress will impeach and remove Vice President Kamala Harris for refusing to promote ivermectin, a deworming medication used in horses, as an effective treatment against COVID-19. It is not.

At that point, with Biden and Harris out of office, Trump would ascend to the presidency via the line of succession.

https://www.alternet.org/2022/03/roger-stone-install-donald-trump/