Doug Brown Final 2016 Ring of Honour Inductee

Rich

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/10/18/doug-brown-final-2016-ring-of-honour-inductee/

WINNIPEG, MB., Oct. 18, 2016 –   The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce Doug Brown as the ninth and final inductee to the Ring of Honour presented by the Insurance Brokers of Manitoba (IBAM) at Investors Group Field for the 2016 season.

Over his 11-year career as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber, Brown was named a Divisional All-Star eight times (2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) and a CFL All-Star seven times (2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010).

In his very first season in blue and gold, Brown was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian (2001) and was later a finalist for the CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2008.

“Knowing Doug personally as a teammate and friend, I am pleased to be able to add his name to the Ring of Honour,” said President & CEO Wade Miller. “Doug remains a familiar face at the stadium on game days and we are thrilled to add such a tremendous player to the list of inductees.”

Most recently, Brown was named to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame (2016), and was inducted into the Winnipeg Football Hall of Fame in 2012.

“I was lucky enough to be affiliated with one football club for all 11 years of my CFL career,” said Brown. “The Bombers are 86 years-old and so to be recognized by a club that has such a storied history with so many players that defined the Canadian football landscape is very humbling and a tremendous honour.”

This season’s inductees will be recognized with an unveiling ceremony at each regular season home game. Each following year, one more alumni will be added to the Blue Bombers Ring of Honour.

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

While I like Brown, I was hoping to see more of the old Legends get there first. Jack Jacob to be specific. Or if they were wanted someone from more modern times, Charles Roberts, or Walby. I just don't see how Brown was picked over those 3.

Walby was the first one they put in.

I believe they missed the boat on not naming Jack Jacobs for sure. He was the instrument behind the building of the new stadium (old stadium at Polo Park). He along with the like of Fritzy Hansen, Charlie Shepard, Bud Tinsley to name a few were the players who were CFL all stars during the golden years of the Bombers. While Doug was a great player these guys had notoriety that in my mind surpassed his by a lot. Oh well maybe in time they will be honoured meanwhile congrats to Doug.

Doug Brown was consistent.  That's the biggest thing I remember about him. Very good at occupying space in the middle, a constant force caving in the pocket.  Putting up 40-50 tackle seasons consistently. Never took a play off no matter what the score was. Definitely one of my favorite Bombers that I have watched play.  Met him once in Regina in the elevator at the hotel where we were both staying. Big guy and was nice enough to take the time to take a picture with my son which I appreciated. Well deserved honor for you Doug . Congrats. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Inductees this year:

1. Chris Walby
  2. Ken Ploen
  3. Gerry James
  4. Milt Stegall
  5. Dieter Brock
  6. Leo Lewis
  7. Bud Grant
  8. Herb Gray
  9. Doug Brown

Going forward, there will be one new one per year.

Looking at the list, it's a good mix of older & newer players so I have no problems with how they've selected them.  With so many great players to choose from, somebody was going to get left out.  Jacobs is going to be up there for sure, it's just a matter of when.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Looking at the list, it's a good mix of older & newer players so I have no problems with how they've selected them.  With so many great players to choose from, somebody was going to get left out.  Jacobs is going to be up there for sure, it's just a matter of when.

That was exactly my thought too.

I don't know if they shouldn't continue with the "one inductee per home game" next year as well; just so that we can have a nice base of 18 before moving to one annual entry.

We are pretty late to the dance in (ring of honour type awards) compared to other teams, and if you only bring on one per year after 2016, it will seem pretty scant for a long time. Many of us could easily come up with another 9 inductees with close to the same cachet as this year's inaugural members in order to flesh out the group of 18.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Do the Bombers retire the numbers of the guys when they go up on the wall?

Can't really retire numbers in football, because there are so few, but there are a couple that are "unwritten rules"....97, 85, 6, 63.......to name a few........

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Can't really retire numbers in football, because there are so few, but there are a couple that are "unwritten rules"....97, 85, 6, 63.......to name a few........

No doubt can't see anyone wearing those numbers but i could be wrong but i believe Ivan Brown wore 97 after Brown retired.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

True that.  That's why I ask, need to limit the names going up if numbers are being retired. Also believe it means more when its less names on the list.  Other than our 4 players killed in plane crash in 1956 we have only retired 4 numbers. I like it that way to be honest.

Saskatchewan Roughriders retired numbers
No. Player Position Tenure Championships
23 Ron Lancaster QB 1963–1978 1966
34 George Reed RB 1963–1975 1966
36 Dave Ridgway K 1982–1995 1989
40 Mel Becket TE/C 1952–1956
44 Roger Aldag OL 1976–1992 1989
55 Mario DeMarco OL 1953–1956
56 Ray Syrnyk OL 1956
73 Gordon Sturtridge DE 1953–1956

12 minutes ago, bustamente said:

No doubt can't see anyone wearing those numbers but i could be wrong but i believe Ivan Brown wore 97 after Brown retired.

He did -- you're right! I totally spaced on that...but I believe 6, 63, and 85 remain untouched...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He did -- you're right! I totally spaced on that...but I believe 6, 63, and 85 remain untouched...

Untouched and should remain that way in my opinion. Those three at one point in there career could have been considered the best at there position

Edited by bustamente

When talking about all-time Bomber greats, both in this thread and other threads, it's odd to me that no one seems to talk about James Murphy (unless I've missed it). I'm not saying he's right up there with the best-of-the-best, but he had a stellar career. Team career record holder in receptions and yards until Milt Stegall; three-time Grey Cup winner; league MVP; Grey Cup MVP; multiple time all-star; one of the most important players on the teams in the 1980's. Didn't he get picked to the all-time Bomber team when they did that a few years ago? I haven't lived in Winnipeg since early-2000 so maybe I've missed something with him, but he seems to get overlooked in the discussions.

I have nothing against the Doug Brown induction. He's one of the best Canadian players of all time, certainly the best DT of his era, one of the bright spots on some Mediocore Bomber teams, always gave 100 percent on the field, and is still a big part of the city working in Winnipeg. Like it or not a lot of younger fans go to football games and choosing a popular player from recent memory will help sell tickets. Some of the older greats will get their due eventually. 

I hate saying this but since Mr Jacobs is no longer with us, there's really no rush. His legacy will get its just due eventually. I don't mind Doug Brown... I mean there's definitely other guys more deserving than Doug for sure but I guess if you told me to name an all bomber team at every position... Doug would be on that roster for sure. Wouldn't mind seeing Cal Murphy and Mike Riley up there soon either. Feel like Cal should already be up there actually 

Edited by Goalie