Lions @ Bombers Post Game Discussion

iso_55

I know the refs are supposed to be impartial to the influence of fans during a game, but this non-call reminds me of the Tennessee Titans  vs. Buffalo Bills "forward-lateral" in the NFL a few years ago, it's often referred to as the Music City Miracle. It's kind of one of those calls where it is "well... it could go either way ... maybe I'll just let the call stand (and the home team win) because I'm going to start a riot otherwise..."

Seriously, could you imagine what would've happened if that call was overturned, in Tennessee or yesterday for the Bombers?

12 hours ago, iso_55 said:

So, in the twitter universe everyone is saying the Lions got screwed & that the ball was out. My response to that is **** the twitter universe. I think the whistle blew before the ball did come out. But the Bombers have been screwed over so many times by the officials that cost us games in the past even if it was a fumble, I don't care as it was about bloody time a call went our way.

... and it's not even close!

Bottom line is refs miss calls every game sometimes they are for and sometimes against you. This time it happened to be for us. Bigger concern is the last three games our defence has been unable to stop the opposition in the 4th quarter when they needed to; loss to Calgary with 24 seconds and 36 yards togetinto filed goal range; Edmonton what with less than two mins to go needed a stop to give us one last chance; and yesterday couldn't stop BC until the very last second and only because of a marvellous play by an injured Moe Leggett to be followed up by whatever you want to call it, pay back, missed call, good luck whatever were we able to squeeze out a win. Something has to be done with this defence period no if ands or buts

Not one guy on the tsn panel seen the 'supposed' fumble our way....Says a lot and they all can go take a flying leap...(okay I'll cut Milt a little slack cuz he does come across as unbiased a lot more)....Seems not only can we not catch a break on the field of play (see bogus Arcenault catch juggling the bloody ball all the way out of bounds) we can't catch a break from the panel...Controversial play for sure but the command centre has the final say and they ruled 'down by contact'...Message to the panel...try taking the orange bloody glasses off with regard to that one and try a shade of blue for cripes sake............................Great win by the Bombers in any event

Where was all the uproar last week when Edmonton was given a phantom PI and put on the 1 yard line?

Or when our TD on a punt return was taken off the board for a block on the shoulder that was called a block to the back?

These things even out. It was a fumble and we got one, not only was it one call vs several against Edmonton, BC had the majority of bad calls in just that game. Look at the 1st call of the game, the BC obvious pass interference/illegal contact that was missed and could have lead to a BC score. Obvious miss, and the challenge (as much as I hate that mechanism) fixed it.

The league has a serious crisis of reffing but at least the Bombers weren't jobbed again.

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Not one guy on the tsn panel seen the 'supposed' fumble our way....Says a lot and they all can go take a flying leap...(okay I'll cut Milt a little slack cuz he does come across as unbiased a lot more)....Seems not only can we not catch a break on the field of play (see bogus Arcenault catch juggling the bloody ball all the way out of bounds) we can't catch a break from the panel...Controversial play for sure but the command centre has the final say and they ruled 'down by contact'...Message to the panel...try taking the orange bloody glasses off with regard to that one and try a shade of blue for cripes sake............................Great win by the Bombers in any event

Milt and Matty often tip their hand showing pro-Bombers bias. They were just demonstrating a bit of even-handedness by calling a fumble a fumble.

This just might have been the most satisfying bomber win this season. They won, of course, and halted the mini-skid but more importantly, apart from the special team kick coverage they corrected the problems form last game. Nichols played what may be the best game he has had in Bomber colours, the D-line got to Jennings a fair bit, the defence rose up when it counted and the O-line kept Nichols upright. The running game worked when it had to, and of course, the two interceptions helped. A lot. Leggat showed his team what talent and guts look like.
A great game and entertaining as heck.

Refs figured his ass was down, on field, and the replay didn't have enough evidence to overturn that. I'll take it. Like everyone's said, we've had so many of these go against us in the past, we were LONG overdue for a break...

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We aren't long overdue for a break. It's the second time in 6 weeks that we've won on a disputed call in the last minute. 

how many times have we been ****** over HARD in the last 20 years? How many times has the league had to apologize to the team? 

Last time I checked, a fumble recovery doesn't result in points unless it happens in the end zone, so even if this ruling was overturned, BC would've still needed to score and there's no guarantee of that happening. Everyone is acting like that call cost them the game. What cost them the game was not being able to convert on third and one because Khari got lazy and tried to call the same play that got them a 50 yard TD earlier. Went back to the well one too many times and Mo was ready for it. 

14 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Not sure how they'll do,it but Rider fans will show this as evidence of a league wide conspiracy against their team.

Logically, this game had absolutely no bearing on the 'Riders playoff chances - whether we won, or B.C. won wouldn't help or hinder their chances. So it's only a conspiracy if you can't do math, which is plausible for them.

15 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

The call could have gone either way but I don't think there was a definitive view that showed it was a fumble and because it was called "down by contact. It would have had to be very definitive to overturn the call. 

But I think the true issue here is how Harris handled the ball.   At that time of the game I believe he was only thinking of himself and the yards vs. getting both hands on the ball and protecting it.  We didn't really need the 1st down.    But the worst thing that could have happened would have been a turnover. 

OB interviewed him after the game and he took full responsibility stating that he needs to protect the ball in that situation. Glad it didn't cost us.