Lions @ Bombers Post Game Discussion

iso_55

I really do think Harris fumbled, but that is all irrelevant because the whistle blew BEFORE that. So honestly, I don't care.

There was a play earlier on in the second half when the referees also blew the whistle really early in a play, when I thought Harris was still moving forward a bit.  

These types of plays happen, and they're judgement calls by the official. Whistle blows, play is over. BC definitely missed out on a turnover due to the quick whistle, but such is life. The judgement call was made, what happened after didn't matter. 

Also I don't want to hear any stuff about how BC got ripped off. These refs were atrocious all game for both sides. BC got handed soft PI call after soft PI call, and got at least an additional 7 points off those calls. Yet when Dressler has a DB on his back before the ball is there, there was no call.

If the refs don't give them the PI calls they likely weren't within one score for their last drive. You can make the "could have, should have" argument to say either team was screwed by the refs.

I was sitting at the 5 yard line directly parallel to the play.

1. His momentum was halted before the ball came out.

2. The whistle blew, clearly ending the play before the ball was out.

3. Harris' rear end hit the ground at the same time as the ball came out, and the ground can't cause a fumble.

4. There was nothing you could categorize as definitive on the replay, and definitive evidence is required to overturn a ruling on the field.

Finally, the TSN panel - i.e. Matt, Chris, and - yes, 'fraid to say - even our own Milt - are full of it. They were watching from the studio, not at the game so they could not have heard the whistle. I also think it's pretty bush of them to call out the refs with the specious argument that this was a clear cut call that "burned BC". On what basis do they make this argument?! What a load of hooey! At worst, it was a 50/50 call that went against BC (hey, some do) and the 4 points noted above push it conclusively in the Bombers' favour. There, that was definitive.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd
I mispelled a word

52 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Bombers got fortunate with that fumble call no question.  A lot of bad or missed calls that game.  Dumb question: on that roughing the passer call on Westerman, wasn't he essentially tripped into Jennings? Didn't look like it was his fault, unless they felt he deliberately extended his roll into Jennings.

That doesn't matter, if a player is out of control and flies or rolls into the QB, he's going to receive a penalty.

5 minutes ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

I was sitting at the 5 yard line directly parallel to the play.

1. His momentum was halted before the ball came out.

2. The whistle blew, clearly ending the play before the ball was out.

3. Harris' rear end hit the ground at the same time as the ball came out, and the ground can't cause a fumble.

4. There was nothing you could categorize as definitive on the replay, and definitive evidence is required to overturn a ruling on the field.

Finally, the TSN panel - i.e. Matt, Chris, and - yes, 'fraid to say - even our own Milt - are full of it. They were watching from the studio, not at the game so they could not have heard the whistle. I also think it's pretty bush of them to call out the refs with the species argument that this was a clear cut call that "burned BC". On what basis do they make this argument?! What a load of hooey! At worst, it was a 50/50 call that went against BC (hey, some do) and the 4 points noted above push it conclusively in the Bombers' favour. There, that was definitive.

The panel is paid to hype the game and stir up controversy so as to keep us all breathlessly waiting for the next pronouncement.

Boy, the Bombers sure don't know how to win easy lately..

Great effort...another 0 sack performance by the O-Line.

But 12 more penalties..gotta stop. 

Special teams is rickety right now, 'cept for Fogg

But what a nice performance, and play calling with the offence.

All things considered, we poked, we prodded, got burnt (hamed,)  answered back, and scored points when we had to.  I saw some magnificent catches by that BC team, and they were well covered. 

Good job Big Blue!

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

In that melee it was hard to tell exactly when Harris actually touched the turf...I believe he was down and the whistle blew ending the play..The ball did come out but the play was whistled dead before the ball came out....Matters not anyway as the command centre ruled it was a dead play and not a fumble..How many have we seen go the other way and cost us bigtime...Great win.

Exactly!! It was a bout time we won a game instead of having it snatched away from us by a bogus official call as in the past. Sucks to be a Lion & their fans.

13 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Boy, the Bombers sure don't know how to win easy lately..

Great effort...another 0 sack performance by the O-Line.

But 12 more penalties..gotta stop. 

Special teams is rickety right now, 'cept for Fogg

But what a nice performance, and play calling with the offence.

All things considered, we poked, we prodded, got burnt (hamed,)  answered back, and scored points when we had to.  I saw some magnificent catches by that BC team, and they were well covered. 

Good job Big Blue!

We had to really, really, really work to win that game. To MOS credit he never panicked on the bench & kept his cool. The team did as well. Came thru in the crunch.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I sit in that endzone.

1. His momentum was halted before the ball game out.

2. The whistle blew ending the play before the ball was out.

3. Those who feel the wrong call was made can **** themselves because they're wrong.

Exactly how I feel. How many countless games have we been on the other end of the score on some ridiculous play? We won. So be it.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

The call could have gone either way but I don't think there was a definitive view that showed it was a fumble and because it was called "down by contact. It would have had to be very definitive to overturn the call. 

But I think the true issue here is how Harris handled the ball.   At that time of the game I believe he was only thinking of himself and the yards vs. getting both hands on the ball and protecting it.  We didn't really need the 1st down.    But the worst thing that could have happened would have been a turnover. 

Special teams I thought was pretty good except for two big returns by Rainey but he does that every week. Big fake led to a TD.

Funny how ST returners seem to glow brightly & for awhile & fade. A few years ago we had Chad Owens with the Argos along with Larry Taylor in Calgary as the best returners in the CFL.  Then there was Hamilton's Chris Williams lighting it up for a couple of seasons, then he left over a contract dispute but came back to Ottawa & is primarily a receiver now. For awhile Ti Cats Brandon Banks was the best returner bar none in the CFL until this season where he's kind of faded from view. Now there's 3 new guys who have come on the scene, Chris Rainey (although he was with BC for a portion of the 2015 season, Roy Finch in Calgary & Kevin Fogg here. They're the Young Guns now.

1 hour ago, yogi said:

I had to leave the room on the Fumble replay, couldn't watch it. Way too high on MDA. 

All I could think about was "Why? WHY??" They showed the one angle on replays & my heart sank & then they made the call & we had the ball... Then we gave up the 2 points with no time remaining... wait no we didn't run out the clock as there was one second left... Then BC throws the pass & it's over. Like OMFG... Only in the CFL.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

the illegal contact on the receiver called on heath vs. arcenaux was really a good acting job by arcenaux.

I had a good view of that play and Heath made no contact with him, not even incidental contact. Was MOS out of challenges? I think even Wally was expecting Bombers to challenge that call and get it reversed.

Edited by Doublezero

Watching at home it was pretty obvious that the whistle blew b4 the ball came out. I even said to my girlfriend that it's bomber ball cuz the whistle blew.  Rod black was pretty convinced that Harris fumbled and that kind of put me at ease cuz he's wrong most of the time. Announcing was pathetic. They basically verbally jerked off the Lions and especially buono all game long. Refs were just awful also.