Our D the last 4 games.

wbbfan

The last 4 or so games the luster has come off our defense some what. With darian durant driving the ball at will for long periods of time, a young but passed around qb tossing 4 quick tds against us to blm and the stamps being the stamps. 

8 sacks,  6 fumble recoveries.

4 interceptions, (2 games with none)

Passing numbers against;

110 / 160 (69%) 1,314 (328.5 YPG)  8tds 

65 carries (5 YPC) 333 yards rushing (83 yards per game) 4 tds 

411.5 yards per game, 100 points (25 ppg)

Our season averages, including early and points scored on teams and generally not against our defence are;

23ppg, 2 sacks per game, 1.7 ints per game 1+ FF per game. 20.4 ppg before those last 4 games including again points scored on teams etc. 

Its fair to say our defense wasnt as good as its hot streak and isnt as "bad" as it has been the last 4. With health, and consistency we should be seeing our real D the next few weeks. Edm is playing good football atm, and we are going into the thick of our schedule. I think the level at which our defense plays the last portion of the schedule is going to dictate how good we are this year.  And with our guys getting healthy, I am pretty excited. 

I like the move to bench Johnny Adams this week - he's just looked out of place and Frederick seemed to be getting the job done. Hopefully it'll either wake up Adams, or Frederick will continue his good play.

Very much so looking forward to that home-and-home against B.C. - if that series isn't a split, I think the winner takes 2nd in the West. Hopefully the Riders can help us out with a W against B.C. in their last home game at Mosaic.

Also - fun fact, the Riders aren't yet mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, although their only chance is via a cross-over to the East.

41 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I like the move to bench Johnny Adams this week - he's just looked out of place and Frederick seemed to be getting the job done. Hopefully it'll either wake up Adams, or Frederick will continue his good play.

Very much so looking forward to that home-and-home against B.C. - if that series isn't a split, I think the winner takes 2nd in the West. Hopefully the Riders can help us out with a W against B.C. in their last home game at Mosaic.

Also - fun fact, the Riders aren't yet mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, although their only chance is via a cross-over to the East.

Yeah frederick has been great at every chance to play. If he and heath draw in thatll be great.

Pretty much, i hope we get great turn out and show the fan support turn around to match the teams turn around. 

The rider fans all over the net are championing this. They are sure they will win out cross over and crush the stamps in the GC lol. I want to see them with the third over all pick in the draft. So if they lose and win that bc game itd be prefect. 

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The Riders lost the tie breakers to us and Edmonton. They need what to win out and hope Edmonton loses every game?

Pretty much, right now the Riders are 3-10 with 5 games remaining (best possible record is 8-10) and Edmonton is 6-7 with 5 games remaining (worst possible record would be 6-12). Riders could still cross-over if Edmonton managed to win only won 1 of their last 5 (finishing 7-11), assuming the Riders run the table and finish 8-10.

Even if the stars did align and the Riders do win out AND Edmonton loses out, that doesn't guarantee a cross-over since they also would need 2 of the 4 teams in the East to have a final record of worse than 7-11... highly unlikely, since Toronto (currently in 3rd) is 5-8...

The only reason I care is because it keeps the pipe dream alive of us getting to the Grey Cup through the West, whilst Saskatchewan would take the much weaker road through the East. The end result? Us steamrolling them in the Grey Cup in a season the Riders thought was all but lost.

It probably won't happen (apparently Riders playoff chances right now are at about 0.09%, assuming games are determined by a coin flip)... but a man can dream.

Is Adams out this week? I know he wasn't with first team yesterday at practice, but has anyone mentioned he won't be playing friday night? I wouldn't be against it after that horrible horrible decision (that one could argue cost us the game) against the stamps. I've been his cheerleader all year, but that play was one of the dumbest I've ever seen.

Anyway, I could see MOS just letting him practice with the #2 team yesterday as a wake up call, rather than sitting him for the week. I guess we will get a better idea as the week goes on.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The Riders lost the tie breakers to us and Edmonton. They need what to win out and hope Edmonton loses every game?

We aren't making the playoffs. We are just trying to get things going in the right direction for next year. Maybe we can win 3 more games IMO if things go our way.

In regards to your defense. The level they were playing at with the turnovers was not sustainable. I do believe you guys need to buckle down and just keep doing what you are doing. A loss against Stamps is nothing to panic about. Edmonton does have a good offense however, need to be ready for them. Lots of football left to go yet.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Is Adams out this week? I know he wasn't with first team yesterday at practice, but has anyone mentioned he won't be playing friday night? I wouldn't be against it after that horrible horrible decision (that one could argue cost us the game) against the stamps. I've been his cheerleader all year, but that play was one of the dumbest I've ever seen.

Anyway, I could see MOS just letting him practice with the #2 team yesterday as a wake up call, rather than sitting him for the week. I guess we will get a better idea as the week goes on.

there has been mention of him not playing and I think he is nicked up but im not sure. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

We aren't making the playoffs. We are just trying to get things going in the right direction for next year. Maybe we can win 3 more games IMO if things go our way.

Do most of you guys want chris jones back? at this rate do you think he will be there next year?  At this point if I was him and had any job security Id start gale and air lifted young guys to try and find more to build off for next year.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

In regards to your defense. The level they were playing at with the turnovers was not sustainable. I do believe you guys need to buckle down and just keep doing what you are doing. A loss against Stamps is nothing to panic about. Edmonton does have a good offense however, need to be ready for them. Lots of football left to go yet.

Yeah pretty much. Even the cooled down rate is really high. Yeah the calgary loss in it self isnt panic worth. As moral a loss as you can have. Could be what the team needs to take a step into sustained winning. Edm is good and hot should be a great game im pretty excited for it. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

there has been mention of him not playing and I think he is nicked up but im not sure. 

Do most of you guys want chris jones back? at this rate do you think he will be there next year?  At this point if I was him and had any job security Id start gale and air lifted young guys to try and find more to build off for next year.

Yeah pretty much. Even the cooled down rate is really high. Yeah the calgary loss in it self isnt panic worth. As moral a loss as you can have. Could be what the team needs to take a step into sustained winning. Edm is good and hot should be a great game im pretty excited for it. 

The second half of the game was definitely a typical Bombers half, gonna need a better gameplan and better effort next time we play them (hopefully without Johnny Adams)

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Jones will definitely be back and has more than enough support here. Its Durant's team and he will start.

Biggest lesson in the Calgary loss is you can't start slow against good teams like that. They are too good. Against a team like that you have to come out and punch them right in the face at the beginning and get things going.  Edmonton can score and move the ball quick, definitely need a quicker start or trouble won't be far behind.

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Jones will definitely be back and has more than enough support here. Its Durant's team and he will start.

Biggest lesson in the Calgary loss is you can't start slow against good teams like that. They are too good. Against a team like that you have to come out and punch them right in the face at the beginning and get things going.  Edmonton can score and move the ball quick, definitely need a quicker start or trouble won't be far behind.

The difference with Edmonton is that their defense is not nearly as good as Calgary has so you should be able to play in a shoot out with them if you need to. 

19 minutes ago, Ripper said:

isnt durant hurt again? Or banged up atleast? 

Yeah you cant spot teams a big lead especially top teams. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The difference with Edmonton is that their defense is not nearly as good as Calgary has so you should be able to play in a shoot out with them if you need to. 

And they dont have that running game that calgary does. 

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The last 4 or so games the luster has come off our defense some what. With darian durant driving the ball at will for long periods of time, a young but passed around qb tossing 4 quick tds against us to blm and the stamps being the stamps. 

8 sacks,  6 fumble recoveries.

4 interceptions, (2 games with none)

Passing numbers against;

110 / 160 (69%) 1,314 (328.5 YPG)  8tds 

65 carries (5 YPC) 333 yards rushing (83 yards per game) 4 tds 

411.5 yards per game, 100 points (25 ppg)

Our season averages, including early and points scored on teams and generally not against our defence are;

23ppg, 2 sacks per game, 1.7 ints per game 1+ FF per game. 20.4 ppg before those last 4 games including again points scored on teams etc. 

Its fair to say our defense wasnt as good as its hot streak and isnt as "bad" as it has been the last 4. With health, and consistency we should be seeing our real D the next few weeks. Edm is playing good football atm, and we are going into the thick of our schedule. I think the level at which our defense plays the last portion of the schedule is going to dictate how good we are this year.  And with our guys getting healthy, I am pretty excited. 

The secondary has looked and performed worse with Adams and Randle back in the lineup, the d-ends have been invisible and we don't have a replacement anywhere near Ian Wild's level of covering the field.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

The secondary has looked and performed worse with Adams and Randle back in the lineup, the d-ends have been invisible and we don't have a replacement anywhere near Ian Wild's level of covering the field.

Randle has looked very good aside form one blown coverage. This scheme doesnt show off the talent of Des, and burnette covers more ground then wild. Hes just raw and not at wilds level atm. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Randle has looked very good aside form one blown coverage. This scheme doesnt show off the talent of Des, and burnette covers more ground then wild. Hes just raw and not at wilds level atm. 

The only reason Randle has looked good is because they haven't been throwing his way, jut picking on other weak links. I have no idea what the scheme has to do with the ends? Are you suggesting they are dropping back instead of rushing and containing?  Burnette doesn't cover more ground than Wild.

15 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The only reason Randle has looked good is because they haven't been throwing his way, jut picking on other weak links. I have no idea what the scheme has to do with the ends? Are you suggesting they are dropping back instead of rushing and containing?  Burnette doesn't cover more ground than Wild.

No hes looked good because aside from that one play hes maintained good tight coverage. 

Scheme has a ton to do with DL and ends. We play gap cancellation not pass rush as our base. Trying to limit the run and give the stunting LBer/(s) a place to go rather then running them at a linemen, the lineman has to make a choice who to block. 

We drop justin cole back as a wrinkle, thats how he has a pick a drop and a couple pass deflections.

Burnette is much more rangy and covers far more ground then wild. He just doesnt cover it as well as wild in our system. Burnette was a track star at USC who walked on as a football player. Watch him play his incredible speed motor and agility is what has him on teams every game. Hes among the fastest lbers in the cfl. he was a 100m 200m long jump triple guy. And its great great football speed too. You couldnt design a better athlete for LBer in the cfl. 

Edited by wbbfan