In Case You Missed It - Sept 14's The Insider

Mr Dee

After Week 12
Bye Ottawa

Lowell Ullrich
#BCLions continue to re-set OL, release RT Levy Adcock. 

Justin Dunk 3downnation
-Zach Collaros has proved why Hamilton paid him $1.5 million on a fresh three-year contract. The 28-year-old has 1,510 yards and 14 touchdowns in four games. Extrapolate those numbers over 18 regular season games: 6,795 passing yards and 63 touchdowns. Those are figures that have never been reached by a CFL quarterback.

-Rakeem Cato in for Kevin Glenn
One CFL source on the quarterback change: “You know Jim Popp is going to blame someone not named Popp.”

?‍?Yeah, I thought Milanovich missed one by skirting that challenge...
Donnovan Bennett -Sportsnet
Diontae Spencer made a diving catch on an under-thrown ball when the Argos were driving down three with just over seven minutes to go. Replays showed Spencer got his hands underneath the ball despite the ruling on the field being incomplete. But Scott Milanovich didn’t challenge. So instead of second and short the Argos were backed up in second and long. Ricky Ray then threw a pick-six to Emmanuel Davis.

?‍?The Lions already have seven wins—the same amount they had last year. The Bombers already have one more...

Rod Pedersen
It was a mutual decision by @sskroughriders and @Commish13 that he does not attend 2016 Plaza of Honor on Sept. 16

Mike Beamish
@ArashMadani @CFL_News @PentonKirk  Glen Johnson, CFL Sr. VP: "I'd put our guys (officials) up against anyone for what they do." (May 11).
CFL News ^^^
Let’s also hope #CFL vice-president of football  @G_D_Johnson spent Tues. yelling at his officials, telling them to be better - @PentonKirk

CFL History
Norman Kwong, was nicknamed the China Clipper, not because he was so fast, but because he often 'clipped' coupons. #CFL #ESK.

Kirk Penton - Post Media Network
Jones needs to figure it all out quickly because there is already speculation in Regina that the Riders board of directors will fire everyone, including president and CEO Craig Reynolds, if the gong show continues.

The Riders are the laughingstock of the league right now and folks there take their football very seriously.

Ed Tait
Medlock has now tied or set three different Bomber placekicking records this season. He had made 22 consecutive field goals prior to hitting the upright in the second quarter, setting a new standard. He hit a 58 yarder in the opener to tie Bernie Ruoff’s club record (set in 1975) and tied Kennerd’s seven-makes in one game record on Sunday.

?‍?Although I like McDuffie winning CFL Top Performer, I agree with Eric M. that it should have been Collaros.
I do not agree with his stance that Montreal should be ranked last in his team rankings. That position is owned by Saskatchewan...

Troy Westwood
The @calstampeders OLine is stupid. They allow a sack every 37.8 dropbacks. #CFL average is one every 16.2 dropbacks. Stupid. Stupid good.

?‍?Collaros's efforts on Monday show what an elite QB, "performing", can do for his team. Ray, an elite QB, can't do that anymore...
?‍?And is this how the rest of the league, and Bomber fans feel about this topic:?
The thing about the #Bombers is there's a championship roster, but it's missing the most important key: elite QB. - Eric M.

?‍?Legit Power Rankings
Calgary #1 - then... the rest of the league

Drew Edwards
#Ticats @Simoni_Lawrence, @Jeff_Reinebold recruit ex-teammate @Solo_Sink2 via Twitter. #CFL

CFL Communications
-The average audience for Mark's Labour Day match-ups were up 30% on @CFLonTSN  compared to last year. #CFL

?‍?Remember
The Little General said, “That’s OK. I really believe the referees make far fewer mistakes in a game than either team.”- as reported by Graham Kelly, Medicine Hat News

Troy Wesrwood
I think this is awesome. Pursue your dreams. "Mets are signing Tim Tebow to a minor-league contract foxsports.com/mlb/story/the-… via @FoxSports"

CFL History
1964 - in order to prove the success of their program, #McMasters forced #Queens to play them for the Yates Cup & then lost 63-6 #CFL #CIS

CFL.ca Staff
The Stampeders have released defensive lineman Demonte’ Bolden from the practice roster.

Herb Zurkowsky Montreal Gazette
-Nik Lewis understood change was in the air. He just didn’t think it would be Kevin Glenn, the Alouettes’ starting quarterback.
“It’s the wrong change. I’ve told them what I thought about the change,” a defiant Lewis said following Wednesday’s practice at Stade Hébert. “I don’t like it, but they pay me to play, and that’s what I’m going to do. They don’t pay me to like things.”
-The Als added former Concordia receiver Kristopher Bastien to their practice roster and released special-teamer Hugo Lopez.

CFL News
#CFL ratings up 7 per cent overall and up an impressive 14 per cent in the much-valued 18-49 age bracket. - @czelkov

Rob Vanstone Regina Leader-Post
10 Reasons to sign Darian Durant
The man is a legend
Durant should move into the new stadium with the rest of the team.
Durant wants to remain a Rider
It'd be a positive PR move
Who's the proven alternative?
Resilient to injury, he has bounce back from 2 serious injuries.
Durant remains an effective passer
Age shouldn't be a factor
Would show he's part of the plan
Durant is still a drawing card.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/ten-reasons-why-saskatchewan-roughriders-quarterback-darian-durant-deserves-a-new-contract?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Herb Zurkowsky
Tom Higgins got fired, with his team sitting with a 3-5 record — the defeats by a combined 15 points.
The Als have played 20 games since that fateful night, but have won only six.

Drew Edwards
Now in his fifth season with Toronto, Ray has dressed for 58 of a possible 82 games, starting 50 (in the other eight he was active but on the sidelines.)

Lowell Ullrich 3downnation

It’s no big deal to Buono.
Wally Buono, on Alex Bassie and his leading sack total: "But sacks are a glory stat. If we’ve played 10 games and on average if there’s 60 plays a game, that’s 600 plays (this season) so far.. If he gets nine sacks, whoop-de-do.”
In just 32 CFL games, Bazzie has 27 career sacks, and if that doesn’t seem impressive consider that since his arrival in 2014, only John Chick of Hamilton (33) and Montreal’s John Bowman (35) have more during the same span.

Duron Carter
Hey! go read on how I'm such a terrible person ? #CFLvillain
?‍?Well, I went ahead and took his advice and read the article. He should have kept quiet...

http://3downnation.com/2016/09/09/montreal-receiver-duron-carter-worst-teammate-ever/

CFL News
We grouse about #CFL officiating, but did you see the headshots that were going unpunished in the Panthers-Broncos game last night?

Herb Zurkowsky Montreal Gazette
"We're Not For Sale" - Robert Wetenhall
You’re f—ing right it concerns me. Do pigs smell?” Wetenhall, in his inimitable fashion, told the Montreal Gazette recently about the decrease in attendance. “We’ve had a little, shall we say, fall-off the last few years from our normal performance.”
?‍?If interested see story

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/were-not-for-sale-alouettes-owner-robert-wettenhall-says

?‍?$$$$ could be changing hands soon...
Kendal Lawrence
I’m tired of the refs deciding the game for us,” a frustrated Lawrence said in the Roughriders’ locker room. “It always seems like every game, there are one or two plays that really hurt us and it’s because of a flag. I kind of feel like the refs have it out for us.

“When it counts, there’s always a flag. When we need a big play and we make it, there’s always a flag. When we stop someone when we need a stop, there’s a flag. I’m just tired of it.” 
As reported by Ian Hamilton Regina Leader-Post

John Hodge 3downnation
The Riders don’t stink because CFL officials have it out for them. The Riders stink because, well, they stink.

Terry jones
Overtime for the third time this year for the Eskimos.

Eric M.
Yeah, #Esks' Mike Benevides is probably one-&-done in EDM, while Thorpe probably wants nothing more to do with MTL.

CFL Staff
Reilly was under pressure all day long, was sacked four times and was hit hard numerous times on top of that. The outstanding work from that front four allowed the Stampeders to apply tight, tight coverage on Walker, Bowman, and the rest of Edmonton’s receiving threats. Calgary’s defensive blueprint was simple in design but deadly effective when executed to perfection.".

3)Lowell Ullrich 3downnation
Jeremiah Johnson had the best rushing performance by a player at his position in the CFL this season, running for 159 yards on 16 carries and scoring three touchdowns in a punishing 38-27 win over the Montreal Alouettes.
.@MTLAlouettes' Chip Cox sets the @CFL record for most fumble return TDs with the 6th of his career. #CFLGameDay

?‍?- 588 total yards. BC totally swamped the Alouettes. From Jennings to the O-line, to the running back and to the receivers, and guided by a great game plan by Khari's Jones, Montreal never stood a chance.
It's not like they had much of a chance with Rakeem Cato starting at QB, but Cato didn't play badly, he was just over-whelmed by a strong, relentless defence.
Everything worked for BC, in that game. It was a great time not to play them.
Only 8 penalties in the game.

Gary Lawless
O'Shea the HC might not blast team in media but O'Shea special teams coordinator just had some hot words for his crew after another penalty

Kirk Penton
#Roughriders returner, Armanti Edwards, used to be a quarterback on #Bombers neg list.

Duron Carter
I'm tired of this and y'all ?I'm mad every game because everybody is calling a chess game and we playing checkers‼️ it's very frustrating ?

?‍?Winnipeg 3 sacks Regina 0 sacks
You know what that means eh? Free eats for the O-Line...
-Winnipeg’s six-game win streak is their longest in 15 years
-Bombers were pretty stingy on defence, stopping Sask. on the 1 yard. Twice.

-Penalties Bombers - 9-81 Sask. 14-110 
According to Rider fans, the refereeing is one-sided and anti-Rider to the nth degree. "Things that are called on us aren't being called on other teams" kind of reasoning. A scam, if you believe thread titles.
Dressler - more yards than Roosevelt 135-121, was particularly pleasing..
Harris  lost the CFL rushing lead when he went down with injury.
"It shows the maturity of this team to be in a tight game. The defence forces a turnover and we have guys filling in because of injuries...This is a great team win"
MATT NICHOLS

?‍?The Riders couldn't overcome penalties and mistakes. The Bombers overcame 5 injuries.
We deserved that game.

The Bombers are now an incredible +23 in the turnover ratio, having forced 25 turnovers in the last five games.
120: Consecutive pass attempts by Nichols without throwing an interception. - Ed Tait

Good article by Thomas Gunther - lastwordoncanadianfootball.com
poor execution - see article
Mental errors - the Riders have been become known for shooting themselves in the foot at the worst of times. A big play overturned by a bonehead penalty, an interception tossed in the red zone, or trying to lay a big hit rather than wrap up and allowing a big gain. All of these mental errors are commonplace for the Green and White this season.                                                          What should be especially concerning for the team is that these were exactly the type of things that the hiring of Chris Jones was to supposed to eliminate. The excuse that the team is young and developing is a tired and frankly unacceptable reason for the Riders’ litany of gaffes through 12 weeks. This team is building for next year, but there is a much deeper problem than inexperience that Jones and Co. have to root out if 2017 is to be any different.
Flawed Play Calling - see

http://lastwordoncanadianfootball.com/2016/09/11/losing-roughriders-face-another-lost-season/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Darren Cameron
In all my years here I don't think I've heard the players mention the fans so often post game. What a difference. 

Chris Cuthbert
Good for Dan Lefevour even if he just ruined a week of rampant QB trade speculation in the CFL.

cfl.ca Staff ?‍?
LeFevour completed 75 per cent of his passes, ran for 39 yards and played well enough to defy the Ticats defence.
-the Argonauts defence held Ticats QB Zach Collaros to under 250 yards passing. 22-39 attempts. Toronto only had 1 sack but hit Collaros hard several times.

?‍?I doubt anybody missed the Willy news...
?‍?The talk and results about this game were overshadowed by a rumours of a trade, and then the announcement of that trade. Here's the pieces.

Kirk Penton
BOMBERS GET
QB Kevin Glenn
CB T.J. Heath
2017 1st round pick (from Argos)
2018 3rd round pick (from Argos)

ARGOS GET
QB Drew Willy

ALOUETTES GET
2017 4th round pick (from Bombers)

Still simmering....

?‍?Lost in all the hoopla is the fact that Kevin Glenn will look much nicer in Blue and Gold...

Gary Lawless
Willy was excellent. Lapo told me that on the field on Saturday. No issues. O'Shea had a tough time signing off

Ed Tait
For a bunch of reasons, salary cap, 2017 contracts and such we just felt it was time to make the move,” said Walters. “Could we have kept Drew on for the rest of this year as our No. 2? Certainly. But I think it would have been just delaying a very difficult decision moving into next year.”

?‍?True that Willy was a distraction..somewhat, but maybe only to us fans.

Tait:
Those acquired picks are important picks for a club that has completely turned around a horrible draft history from 2012-2013. Consider that four players from its 2016 draft class are on the roster in Trent Corney, Michael Couture, Taylor Loffler and Shayne Gauthier – with Loffler now the starting safety. The lineup also features eight selections from the 2014 and 2015 classes earning paycheques in starting centre Matthias Goossen (second overall, 2014), Jesse Briggs (second round, 2014), Derek Jones (third round, 2014) and starting right guard Sukh Chungh (first round, 2015), Addison Richards (second round, 2015), Brendan Morgan (second round, 2015), Chris Normand (fourth round, 2015) and Garrett Waggoner (supplemental draft, forfeiting 2016 first rounder)

Clare Kines
Just realized that with that Willy trade the @Wpg_BlueBombers have the top 3 interception leaders in the #CFL. @almighty31, Fogg & Heath.

Drew Edwards
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers won the Drew Willy trade. The Kevin Glenn one, too.

Kirk Penton
Quirky fact before bed: #Bombers traded QB Buck Pierce to #BCLions three years ago on Banjo Bowl weekend.

David Morassutti - tipofthetower.com
Head coach Scott Milanovich also discussed the addition of Willy: “Drew has all of the abilities we look for in a quarterback – leadership, poise, accuracy and a strong arm.
-Barker said: “By making this trade, not only have we added depth to the quarterback position for this season, but we have added a young, talented and experienced quarterback for the future.”
CFL Communications
2016 CFL Trade Deadline - Wednesday, October 12, at 3:59pm ET. #CFL
?‍?Although I'm pretty sure Kyle Walters is well aware..

Kevin Fogg
Our Defensive Backs group JUST got even scarier! ??? #NoFlyZone #WontBeTooManyLandings

Duron Carter 
Not a "Cancer" ? actually I'm a "Aries" ?

Week 13 Bye
BC

Edited by Mr Dee

StatsStuff

Bombers -offensively
5th in scoring
7th in passing yards
8th in passing TDs
6th in possession time
5th in rushing yards
4th in rushing TDs
3rd in sacks allowed - yes, you read that right
2nd in turnovers
WPG — 276 (25.1)

Bombers - defensively
2nd in total points allowed
6th in sacks
1st in interceptions
T2nd in forced fumbles
6th in pass knockdowns
WPG — 239 (21.7)

9th in punting average
BUT 2nd in NET punting average
5th in second down conversions
5th for most penalties
2nd best in two-and-outs

Matt Nichols and Kevin Glenn have the same completion average 70.7 tied for fourth
Kevin Glenn has more attempts and more yardage, but Nichols has a better QB efficiency 104% to 94%
Nichols 7 TDs thrown to 1 interception
Glenn 13 - 11 ratio

Andrew Harris 2nd in rushing yards

Bombers don't have a receiver in the top 20. Weston Dressler comes in at 21. 7 games played 561 yards. Tough to break in the top ten with those injuries...

Ian Wild 6th in tackles 69, and Kevin Fogg is 9th with 56.

Medlock and Paredes have each tried 42 FGs. Paredes has made 2 more.
Medlock has not missed a convert. Paredes has missed 7
They are presently tied for the scoring lead at 127 points.

Bombers now have the top 2 defenders at 5 interceptions. Leggett and now Heath.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:02 AM, Mr Dee said:

CFL Communications
-The average audience for Mark's Labour Day match-ups were up 30% on @CFLonTSN  compared to last year. #CFL

CFL News
#CFL ratings up 7 per cent overall and up an impressive 14 per cent in the much-valued 18-49 age bracket. - @czelkov

but but but.....the RiderFans say that viewership is down because of the conspiracy......

THE INSIDERS SAY   (Kirk Penton)
CFL coaches and managers give their anonymous thoughts on what they’re talking about behind closed doors:

-Dave Dickenson looks like a 10 year coaching veteran in his first year. He learned under Huf (John Hufnagel) and Wally (Buono), and it shows ... 
-As coaches, it’s frustrating for us trying to teach and improve our men with this new CBA. It’s hard to coach and develop young players in shorts and sweats. Practice wasn’t that way when I played or when I was a younger coach. But, without calling out a team, I see one over there in the East that needs to teach fundamentals and tackling. When you miss tackles, you get beat. Young coaches think it’s all about scheme. It isn’t. Keep it simple, and get your players better by working on fundamentals ... 
-Winnipeg won the Drew Willy trade. Dump that big salary, gain two picks, a starting DB (that they really need). It’s a no-brainer if Matty Ice (Matt Nichols) is the man moving forward ... 
-It pisses me off to say it since they’re in our division, but Kyle Walters made two great trades last weekend ... 
-The best officials in the league right now are Tom Vallesi and Al Bradbury. The worst is Kim Murphy ... 
-Rakeem Cato’s performance was about what I thought. He ran around and tried to make plays outside the framework of the offence — sometimes with success, most of the time without. He’s just not a consistent enough passer to win consistently. They have to limit his opportunities to throw down field by leaning on the run game and screens/quicks ... 
-Vaughn Martin is telling people he doesn’t plan to play in the CFL again ... 
-The Argos seem to see some aspects of Willy’s game that Winnipeg maybe already judged or overlooked. It’s a fresh start for him with Ricky Ray waiting in the wings ... 
It was bad for us, because we might need the crossover to get in the playoffs, but that Toronto team impressed me. In football, we teach our guys that to be winners you have to learn how to overcome adversity. They lost Ray, but the Argos went out, smacked the Ticats in the mouth and won a game they had to have ... 
-I wouldn’t trade a second-rounder for Duron Carter. He’s not a guy to add in season to a locker-room, especially if you are a playoff contender ... 
-I told my brother: Don’t be surprised if Calgary plays Edmonton in the Grey Cup ... 
-Hope No. 33 (Shakir Bell) doesn’t play this week. He makes the Eskimos even tougher to defend ... 
-T.J. Heath is very good, young, athletic and has great ball skills. He reminds me of a young Jovon Johnson ... 
-I’ve never coached (Dan) LeFevour, but he impressed the (bleep) out of me last week. His mobility makes the Argos a different team. He takes a lot of pressure off of their offensive line. When Ray’s out there playing, he’s easy to blitz. You know Ray is going to be in the pocket. With LeFevour they can change his launching points and when he needs to he can escape the pocket and make plays and first downs with his legs ... 
-Look at the film. (Matt) O’Donnell holds 30 times a game. But (the officials) let him get away with it ... 
-I thought they would get more than a fourth rounder, but Montreal did what they needed to. (Jim) Popp has won a lot more games than you media guys. Trading (Kevin) Glenn and giving the ball to Cato is good for his team. A young quarterback has to play if he’s going to develop. And getting rid of Glenn’s salary helps them with the cap ... 
-How many punts has Hamilton gotten blocked this year? ... 
Mental errors are why the Ticats are always getting punts blocked. Against Calgary they were incorrect in the count to the kick side and left a man unblocked. The last two were mental errors by the personal protector. They saw the scheme the week before and blocked it ... 
-Ricky Ray should be Toronto’s next QB coach, and let the “QB whisperer” develop another young guy. I think Willy will be better under Scott (Milanovich). Willy might lack the charisma to be an upper-echelon quarterback in this league. There’s no question about his skills ... 
-Toronto gave up too much. Is there that much of a difference between Kevin Glenn and Drew Willy other than age? Good on (Kyle) Walters ... The Argos got fleeced.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Montreal/2016/09/13/22666454.html

Edited by Mr Dee

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wait....did a guy say that we "needed" a DB?? The deepest part of our team?

We're super deep at corner but if their argument is that we needed a top halfback to either 1) get Bruce Johnson on the bench or 2) get Kevin Fogg some rest, I'd be hard pressed to argue with either statement

I mean, who do we have after Fogg and Johnson that can play halfback? Meanwhile, we could field two sets of starting corners.

I totally agree with the O'Donnell assessment. I watched part of the Calgary Edmonton Game last night. I was explaining to maybe a future son in law (who is a techy not a sports guy) how O'Donnell's height might not be as advantageous as it first appears because of leverage issues. We were watching him and saw he had his hands outside his opponent around the shoulders or chest almost every play. It looked like he was trying to lift a kid into their highchair or like  a gentle tackle. 

Edited by Fan Boy
I am mistake prone.

On 2016-09-12 at 11:02 AM, Mr Dee said:

He hit a 58 yarder in the opener to tie Bernie Ruoff’s club record

yeah....

but was Medlock wearing a watch when he did it?

Troy Wesrwood
I think this is awesome. Pursue your dreams. "Mets are signing Tim Tebow to a minor-league contract foxsports.com/mlb/story

Pro scout was quoted as saying he runs fast in one direction.

I thought Tim lived and breathed becoming an NFL quarterback? with every fibre of his being?

After he bombs out in baseball, will his dream be to play soccer at the world cup level?

He's annoying.

Edited by Mark F

I was remiss in calling to attention a particular play(s) involving Weston Dressler and Justin Cox.
As you all remember, near the end of the Labour Day game Justin Cox was penalized for interference when he prevented Dressler from getting to the ball by using his left arm to hold, then hook Dressler, all the while looking back for the ball.
Move on to the Banjo Bowl game, early in the 2nd quarter, on our 1st possession, Nichols and Dressler cleverly hooked up for 31 yard gain. Dressler virtually ran the same route, but when Cox made his move - arm out and looking back at the QB, Dressler pressed in, then cut out quickly before Nichols hit him with a perfect pass. 
In my mind, a nicely designed play with this exact scenario in mind. LaPolice, Nichols and Dressler - well done..
If you get a chance..check it out to see what I mean.

image.jpg

41 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I was remiss in calling to attention a particular play(s) involving Weston Dressler and Justin Cox.
As you all remember, near the end of the Labour Day game Justin Cox was penalized for interference when he prevented Dressler from getting to the ball by using his left arm to hold, then hook Dressler, all the while looking back for the ball.
Move on to the Banjo Bowl game, early in the 2nd quarter, on our 1st possession, Nichols and Dressler cleverly hooked up for 31 yard gain. Dressler virtually ran the same route, but when Cox made his move - arm out and looking back at the QB, Dressler pressed in, then cut out quickly before Nichols hit him with a perfect pass. 
In my mind, a nicely designed play with this exact scenario in mind. LaPolice, Nichols and Dressler - well done..
If you get a chance..check it out to see what I mean.

image.jpg

TSN talked about that, I forget who it was but they were giving Dressler tons of props for always being a creative guy doing different things to get open and he really did make Cox look like a jackass on the play. 

45 minutes ago, Mark F said:

yeah....

I thought Tim lived and breathed becoming an NFL quarterback? with every fibre of his being?

After he bombs out in baseball, will his dream be to play soccer at the world cup level?

He's annoying.

The NFL quarterback dream obviously didn't work out.  Is he supposed to lay down and die after?

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

TSN talked about that, I forget who it was but they were giving Dressler tons of props for always being a creative guy doing different things to get open and he really did make Cox look like a jackass on the play. 

I think that was Clime, talking about how the route was a Stop and Corner. 

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

yeah....

He's annoying.

But Tebow has found Jesus- apparently He was behind the couch the whole time.