Nichols vs Glenn

wbbfan

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

His bad throws have been few and far between. Unfortunately, so have his good throws recently. His decision making isn't something I can knock, but his execution lately has been poor.

6 touchdown tosses in 6 games with the opportunities he has been afforded isn't going to be a winning result for us if it continues moving forward.

6 in 6 games isn't anything to write home about but just as you said there have been drops by defenders for sure picks, there were 2 deliberate drops in the end zone by bomber receivers in regina.

Just now, LimJahey said:

6 in 6 games isn't anything to write home about but just as you said there have been drops by defenders for sure picks, there were 2 deliberate drops in the end zone by bomber receivers in regina.

Calling those drops is a bit of a stretch, but I agree his receivers haven't always helped him out. That being said, Dressler has also done a lot of work in the opposite direction by fighting to make plays out of poor throws by Nichols. On the deep ball towards the north end zone (I forget what quarter) on Saturday, Dressler turned a horrible throw into a 40 yard gain.

It's give and take of course, but the eye test simply doesn't tell me that Nichols is a GREAT quarterback. He's doing just enough to help us win, but our defense would be the reason we go deep this year if there ends up being one.

Perhaps once Nichols gets Adams back, something can change with regards to our offensive production. Adams is a big weapon to have in the lineup and should make a difference for us.

17 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

What has impressed me is when we needed a drive Nichols has led the team down the field. 

Exactly. In the Labour Day game right after SASK tied it up Nichols drove the field pretty well resulting in a field goal (albeit long one), stopping their momentum. Obviously I can't play the what if game but I can't help but feel if that was a 2 and out they would've ran train over us with the momentum they had. I can't help but feel Willy would've panicked and went 2 and out (again, I understand that's a pretty ridiculous feeling)

Then in the Banjo Bowl our D makes a great turnover and Nichols made a long bomb with JFG, then capped off the drive with a couple of runs himself. Stopping the other teams momentum is something Nichols does well with his cool demeanour - something thats unquantifiable. 

Edited by Judd

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Adams is a big weapon to have in the lineup and should make a difference for us.

Do we have any sort of timetable for Adams' return? He's a good deep/YAC yard guy that seems to click with Nichols.

Edited by Judd

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Calling those drops is a bit of a stretch, but I agree his receivers haven't always helped him out. That being said, Dressler has also done a lot of work in the opposite direction by fighting to make plays out of poor throws by Nichols. On the deep ball towards the north end zone (I forget what quarter) on Saturday, Dressler turned a horrible throw into a 40 yard gain.

It's give and take of course, but the eye test simply doesn't tell me that Nichols is a GREAT quarterback. He's doing just enough to help us win, but our defense would be the reason we go deep this year if there ends up being one.

Perhaps once Nichols gets Adams back, something can change with regards to our offensive production. Adams is a big weapon to have in the lineup and should make a difference for us.

The number of times Nichols has badly under thrown a receiver and they managed to bail him out...cripes.

We don't know the play calls tho. The idea that lapo is telling Nichols to throw a 4 yard pass is asinine.  Our receivers ate doing a very good job at making something out of nothing.  Calling that dressler "drop" a drop in sask when he basically had to contort his body in mid air cuz Nichols threw it to the wrong side is crazy. 

Or even the Sheppard one... where the 6 foot something receiver had to dive out fully to have a chance.... Cmon.  

As a matter of fact Nichols looks very similar to Drew Willy when we were 5 and 1 to start his career. Last minute drives to win games 

Edited by Goalie

15 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

Deliberate? The receivers meant to drop the balls? Drag them out into the street and shoot them!:P

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The number of times Nichols has badly under thrown a receiver and they managed to bail him out...cripes.

Barely ever?  

Maybe a few times a game?    

With Willy his under and overthrows were easily over 50%.

Mike and your self are exaggerating bigime.   One time Dressler had to go back to get the ball...what about the three times the ball was dropped perfectly into his hand?

What about Roosevelt having to make highlight reel catches by errant Durant throws?

Nicholls isn't a world beater but after 6 games you can't pin it all on luck.  He's way better then Willy and if Lapolice even decides to use Harris properly and calls better plays then maybe the TDs will increase.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Oh i totally agree, I don't think anybody has ever said Nichols is a great quarterback but we have seen time and time again a quarterback that makes the right decisions is so much more valuable than a guy who has a cannon. 

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Don't see how Dressler is not a game breaker has played 7 games has over 500 yards. Two of those games he only played two quarters. 

I guess I meant more of a taller game breaker.  I love dressler. Very exciting but he needs some help out there

Just now, LimJahey said:

Oh i totally agree, I don't think anybody has ever said Nichols is a great quarterback but we have seen time and time again a quarterback that makes the right decisions is so much more valuable than a guy who has a cannon. 

Yup. There is no end of quarterbacks who have had the arm but nothing else" Michael Bishop, Matthew Teague, Joe Adams, etc.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Barely ever?  

Maybe a few times a game?    

With Willy his under and overthrows were easily over 50%.

Mike and your self are exaggerating bigime.   One time Dressler had to go back to get the ball...what about the three times the ball was dropped perfectly into his hand?

What about Roosevelt having to make highlight reel catches by errant Durant throws?

Nicholls isn't a world beater but after 6 games you can't pin it all on luck.  He's way better then Willy and if Lapolice even decides to use Harris properly and calls better plays then maybe the TDs will increase.

I have to be honest, I think it's you who is exaggerating. Using "easily over 50%" as your benchmark is a dead giveaway.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three awful throws last game alone without even looking at the game again. The catch by Dressler, the catch by JFG and a throw Nichols skipped into the dirt on a screen play on 2nd down. Those were all bad throws.

It's okay to be supportive of Nichols and still be critical of him if it's fair. The criticism I'm giving him is pretty fair.

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have to be honest, I think it's you who is exaggerating. Using "easily over 50%" as your benchmark is a dead giveaway.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three awful throws last game alone without even looking at the game again. The catch by Dressler, the catch by JFG and a throw Nichols skipped into the dirt on a screen play on 2nd down. Those were all bad throws.

It's okay to be supportive of Nichols and still be critical of him if it's fair. The criticism I'm giving him is pretty fair.

Calling a catch an "awful" throw is a bit of a stretch. Doesn't leave much room for the type of throws we saw from Brian Brohm. Just sayin

If it's catchable by the intended target, then it's in the wheelhouse of a decent throw.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Deliberate? The receivers meant to drop the balls? Drag them out into the street and shoot them!:P

At this point i see the Bombers as something close to a Kansas City Chiefs type team, great defense and Nichols is Alex 'Jesus' Smith. Pretty low offensive numbers but makes good decisions and doesn't typically throw interceptions.

I look at it this way, regardless of who our QB is. 

If we scored more points then the other team, then our offense was good enough to beat the other team.

Do i care if we win by 1 point or 30? Not really.   

If the other team scores more points then us, then we need to look at the Defense. Did they have any break downs that lead to huge lead? Was the offence at fault? If

We can always improve and we are leaving possible interceptions, tackles, catches and TDs on the field. Room for improvement ,but this is way more enjoyable then all the close losses.

This remind me a bit of last year.  Except we are doing enough to win the close games we were losing. That's  what we needed. We can build from here. 

35 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I look at it this way, regardless of who our QB is. 

If we scored more points then the other team, then our offense was good enough to beat the other team.

Do i care if we win by 1 point or 30? Not really.   

If the other team scores more points then us, then we need to look at the Defense. Did they have any break downs that lead to huge lead? Was the offence at fault? If

We can always improve and we are leaving possible interceptions, tackles, catches and TDs on the field. Room for improvement ,but this is way more enjoyable then all the close losses.

This remind me a bit of last year.  Except we are doing enough to win the close games we were losing. That's  what we needed. We can build from here. 

thats a good way to continually accept under performance and end up like the riders. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Yeah if a wr has to dive to touch a pass, it isnt a drop. Nichols over leads and throws behind his targets too often. Not only does it make for tough catches on plays that shouldnt be, it leaves wr's vulnerable to defenders. 

IMHO, the biggest plus to Nichols is the leadership.   How he acts, how he reacts, and how he  interacts with his teammates and coaches. He is a natural leader with enough confidence to inspire others, without being all about himself.   I believe that this is why he can put together drives with the game on the line; he understands the situation.   All good QB's need to know when to be aggressive, and when to take what they give you and move along.

I cite three examples from the last game:

1.  TD drive after the fumble.  He took shots downfield to little used JFG.  He knew that it was time to get aggressive and he went for it.

2.  Short yardage.   He stays in, and he's been good at getting that yard.  2 TD's vs the Riders at the Banjo Bowl.  He goes full out to get the hard yard, and not all starting QB's want that job.

3.  I was very impressed with the tackle he made on the missed FG.  Sure it ended up not mattering due to the penalty, but he didn't know it at the time.  It showed his character and desire to win the game.   Full marks, and I'd bet you top dollar that his teammates noticed it as well.   

I'm very pleased with Nichols, and he is our starter for good reason.

8 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

IMHO, the biggest plus to Nichols is the leadership.   How he acts, how he reacts, and how he  interacts with his teammates and coaches. He is a natural leader with enough confidence to inspire others, without being all about himself.   I believe that this is why he can put together drives with the game on the line; he understands the situation.   All good QB's need to know when to be aggressive, and when to take what they give you and move along.

1.  TD drive after the fumble.  He took shots downfield to little used JFG.  He knew that it was time to get aggressive and he went for it.

2.  Short yardage.   He stays in, and he's been good at getting that yard.  2 TD's vs the Riders at the Banjo Bowl.  He goes full out to get the hard yard, and not all starting QB's want that job.

3.  I was very impressed with the tackle he made on the missed FG.  Sure it ended up not mattering due to the penalty, but he didn't know it at the time.  It showed his character and desire to win the game.   Full marks, and I'd bet you top dollar that his teammates noticed it as well.   

I can't deny it, he's really made strides in that area. I remember "bad body language" Nichols and that guy is all but gone.

19 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

This is praise of Nichols that actually has merit. It's something that can be quite valuable too, I just find that a lot of people are glossing over some of the problems that he does have though trying to make him into something he isn't because of the win streak we are on.