Nichols vs Glenn

wbbfan

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He has "ring" anyway, his 1998 ring doesn't really count.

He didnt start that year thats true. But he is still a part of multiple championship teams, and probably the best modern stable of cfl qbs. Thats one more then khari, milt or blink got. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe because our offense is under performing and glenn has thrown for 5 tds in one game this year against one of the better teams. Where as nichols has never thrown more then 3, as a pro. Take your blinders off. 

6-0

nichols 7 TDs 1 int 3 rushing TDs

Glenn 13 TDs 11 int

Edited by LimJahey

10 hours ago, LimJahey said:

6-0

nichols 7 TDs 1 int 3 rushing TDs

Glenn 13 TDs 11 int

And take away that 5TD game and Glenn's numbers get even worse. Not sure what it'll take to convince folks that Nichols is the guy at this point. He led our team to twice as many TDs as Durant did on Sat and most folks seem to feel that Durant is the better QB. Collaros threw some pretty ill advised passes yesterday (should've been several more picks), Reilly making mistakes as well, even Mitchell did. Now don't get me wrong, those are all QBs I'd love to have here (maybe minus Durant), but while Nichols might not be single handedly winning us games, he isn't losing them either. I believe if Willy or Glenn we're our QB the last two weeks we would've lost both, because either would've turned over the ball. I like Nichols- workmanlike, unassuming, and gets the most important stat of all: wins. 

One big advantage to having Glenn here is that his playing style is not that much different from Nichols, so fitting into LaPolice's offence shouldn't take all that long. We have a very good O-line to give Glenn protection and time. Either way, Glenn is probably happy to be here and Willy wasn't.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Some of those lack of INT numbers for Nichols are luck whether flat out dropped by dbs or taken away on cheap PI calls. He's done well for sure but people trot out 6-0 and the TD:INT ratio entirely too quickly without providing context. 

close only counts in horseshoes

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Some of those lack of INT numbers for Nichols are luck whether flat out dropped by dbs or taken away on cheap PI calls. He's done well for sure but people trot out 6-0 and the TD:INT ratio entirely too quickly without providing context. 

Nichols is under our microscope so we see his near-misses more than any other QB's. There are near-misses by every QB.

1 minute ago, StevetheClub said:

Nichols is under our microscope so we see his near-misses more than any other QB's. There are near-misses by every QB.

True but sometimes a streak is just a streak. 

Let's not pretend that ekeing out wins against the Riders is really acceptable. I mean that defense has been making teams look great all year and the Bombers had to fight tooth and nail to put drives together on them. That's a concern. Not like they beat a good team in tight games, it's the 1-10 Riders they barely hung on against. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

In terms of results, you're definitely correct.

But you can bet that our coaching staff doesn't just grade performance on results. A bad throw is a bad throw whether the result of it was bad or not.

agreed but his "bad throws" have been few and far between, sure he has been getting favorable results on most of them but you have to think his decision making is WAY above average. The decision to tuck it and run last game was one that Willy probably would not have made.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Let's not pretend that ekeing out wins against the Riders is really acceptable. I mean that defense has been making teams look great all year and the Bombers had to fight tooth and nail to put drives together on them. That's a concern. Not like they beat a good team in tight games, it's the 1-10 Riders they barely hung on against. 

That being said, those two games were the hardest I've seen the Riders play all year.  Now watch them just fall apart against the Eskimos and make Reilly look like a star. 

Just now, LimJahey said:

agreed but his "bad throws" have been few and far between, sure he has been getting favorable results on most of them but you have to think his decision making is WAY above average. The decision to tuck it and run last game was one that Willy probably would not have made.

His bad throws have been few and far between. Unfortunately, so have his good throws recently. His decision making isn't something I can knock, but his execution lately has been poor.

6 touchdown tosses in 6 games with the opportunities he has been afforded isn't going to be a winning result for us if it continues moving forward.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

What has impressed me is when we needed a drive Nichols has led the team down the field. 

I do appreciate and agree with this, but it's not unfair to suggest that if he'd show up earlier in games, he wouldn't need these last minute drives.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And I guess I disagree that this is just a streak. I don't think we've been winning in spite of Nichols and the offense, I think all three phases have been complementing each other quite well.

Just now, StevetheClub said:

And I guess I disagree that this is just a streak. I don't think we've been winning in spite of Nichols and the offense, I think all three phases have been complementing each other quite well.

Only because the turnovers have been avoided. Against teams that aren't the Riders it'll take more than just a couple drives a game to win because no other team gives games away like the Riders do. Nichols should be scoring more points with the way the defense was taking balls away. 

I would rather have poor O and great D than the other way around but when your O is that impotent you are playing with fire and sooner or later the D won't be able to bail them out. Gotta score some points sometimes. 

I don't think it's very easy to win back to back games against anyone in this league. Look at Hamilton and Toronto... they split their back to back.  Edmonton after being killed last week lost in OT to Calgary this week.  

The LDC is the riders Grey Cup... Durant before that game said that is the 1 game they don't lose at home. They did and they lost the banjo bowl also but honestly.... when you play back to back games.... isn't it more likely you split those games? Give Sask credit.... their D was very good the other day... so was the bombers... difference that game was our O was just a wee bit better. And our coach isn't as stupid as Jones is 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, 17to85 said:

Only because the turnovers have been avoided. Against teams that aren't the Riders it'll take more than just a couple drives a game to win because no other team gives games away like the Riders do. Nichols should be scoring more points with the way the defense was taking balls away. 

I would rather have poor O and great D than the other way around but when your O is that impotent you are playing with fire and sooner or later the D won't be able to bail them out. Gotta score some points sometimes. 

That's very true, Nichols and the O have done an excellent job of avoiding turnovers. Why does that have to be considered a streak, or at least any more than the "streak" the D has been on, with all the turnovers created?

I'm not arguing that we have a great offense, but we definitely have a good enough one that I don't think is playing above it's ability.