Dieter Brock - Next Ring of Honour Inductee

B-F-F-C

23 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Anyone out there know about QB mechanics? It seems to me that Brock threw leaning back a lot even when the ball is travelling 40 yards.  That is serious arm strength. 

This is the time where I started going to games and the names and numbers started flooding back. Was that Bobby Thompson I saw in there? I don't know if this was the year the training camp was at the u of M. I remember the team was showering up in the change room when I was playing squash or raquetball.  John Helton was one massive muscular naked man. If he saw me he probably thought I was staring just a bit too much but I was in awe. 

Hilarious, you were either very brave or very stupid.  I remember the first time I saw a black person, I was 3 or 4 in our local church and I stood up on the pew to get a better look at his hair.  Before I could reach out and touch it I was heaved under the pew by my dear Mother.  Scarred for life.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hilarious, you were either very brave or very stupid.  I remember the first time I saw a black person, I was 3 or 4 in our local church and I stood up on the pew to get a better look at his hair.  Before I could reach out and touch it I was heaved under the pew by my dear Mother.  Scarred for life.

It was his athletic physique and stuff that I was in awe of not his skin colour.  There were plenty of other naked black men there at the time as it was training camp.  I will admit my small hometown only had 1 black family when I lived there in the 70's. He was my dad's favourite car mechanic and I never saw him naked but I had met black people before if that is what you meant.   

On 2016-09-08 at 9:37 AM, Jaxon said:

Highlites of the 1980 season.   Wow, Brock had a arm, but his receivers were damn good too.  Pop, House, Goodlow, but especially Holmes #70.  I remember going to many of those games.

Great to see footage of Willy Miller, he was one of my all-time favourites.  Incredible run by Mark Bragagnolo at 24:20, the proverbial bull in a china shop.

I was at that Calgary West Semi-Final game in 1980.  It dumped a big load of snow the night before so they had to scrape the field to try and get a decent surface to play on.  It sure was cold that day too but luckily it was sunny so that made it bearable.  And we wore onions on our belts, as was the style of the time. 

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was at that Calgary West Semi-Final game in 1980.  It dumped a big load of snow the night before so they had to scrape the field to try and get a decent surface to play on.  It sure was cold that day too but luckily it was sunny so that made it bearable.  And we wore onions on our belts, as was the style of the time. 

The field turned to mud as the ground thawed. Brock could still throw the football that day even with bad & slippery footing.

Anybody remember the half time show (alluded to earlier) when they had cfl players competing against one another and Brock was in it?

I remember the QB competition and it was Brock against Lancaster and Wilkinson for the accuracy throw. Lancaster had a wobbly throw but I remember him winning that one.

Then there was the arm wresting competition. Lightweight, Middleweight, and Heavyweight. Brock was in the lightweight division and won it easily. Then they encouraged him to take on the Middleweight Champ and he beat that guy too. Then they challenged him to take on the Heavyweight champ and Brock said, "No Way!" (I think he might have given the guy a run for his money.) Man, I miss Brock.  

On Thursday, September 08, 2016 at 4:04 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Two memories of Dieter - the night I was at the Stadium (before it was named Canad Inns) when Goodlow got his 100 receptions, and the game in 1984 when Dieter came back to Winnipeg as a Hamilton Tiger-Cat, and every time Dieter got sacked, mostly by Tyrone Jones, the Ghostbusters theme song would start up and everyone in the stands would start dancing and yelling "Brock Busters!" The Bombers won that game 48-16.  Ahh...great memories.

I'd  totally  forgot about That! Thanks for the memory jump start.

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

Anybody remember the half time show (alluded to earlier) when they had cfl players competing against one another and Brock was in it?

I remember the QB competition and it was Brock against Lancaster and Wilkinson for the accuracy throw. Lancaster had a wobbly throw but I remember him winning that one.

Then there was the arm wresting competition. Lightweight, Middleweight, and Heavyweight. Brock was in the lightweight division and won it easily. Then they encouraged him to take on the Middleweight Champ and he beat that guy too. Then they challenged him to take on the Heavyweight champ and Brock said, "No Way!" (I think he might have given the guy a run for his money.) Man, I miss Brock.  

I vaguely remember that.  They had golf carts driving by with nets on them and the QB had to hit the net on the cart right?

Yup! I think the accuracy throw started at like 20 yards away and got further away. 

It's interesting that I consider Warren Moon the best ever to play in our league (with apologies to Doug Flutie), but it was Brock who won the Schenley award as league MVP 2 years in a row. Had Brock stayed in the CFL with the Bombers I  wonder if we would not have won 3 or 4 cups with him (after the evil empire of the Edmonton Eskimos lost Moon to the NFL).  

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:03 PM, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

1981; Alouettes stroll into Wpg Stadium with a bevy of NFL stars (Vince Ferragamo, David Overstreet, and White Shoes Johnson.)

Ralph Brock says "sorry...not today" and eviscerates them 58-2.

PS

1981 Wpg rookie of the year.....Pete Catan

Remember that game so well. My friend & I had a couple of pre game beers with some Als fans in a bar before the game that we met. Even back then, there were very few Montreal Alouettes fans across the country. They're a rare sighting now & then. We destroyed the Als that day.

3 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Remember that game so well. My friend & I had a couple of pre game beers with some Als fans in a bar before the game that we met. Even back then, there were very few Montreal Alouettes fans across the country. They're a rare sighting now & then. We destroyed the Als that day.

Good old Nelson "It's not like I raped a nun." Skalbania....one of the more colourful members of the CFL ownership rogues gallery. He signed the big-name NFL guys to varying degrees of success....then eventually folded the team.

Als have always loved the names.

...Although Johnny Rodgers was legit for them in the '70s

The Grueling Truth is an American site that covers the NFL, MLB, etc. But one of the site's owners, Mike Goodpaster, is a bit of a CFL fan and they do a weekly podcast with guests Robert Drummond (won a couple of Grey Cups with Montreal I think) and Dieter Brock. It's very informal and laid back but here's a link for anyone who's interested:

http://thegruelingtruth.net/category/football/cfl/

Here's my Dieter Brock memory.

First I have to be honest that Dieter Brock has been and will be one of my favourite WBB's.  Dieter and Joe Pop will and always will be the top two WBB's in my heart. 

So, it was about this time of year and it must have been 1980 (I think).    Some buddies and I were playing football in the green space between Park Blvd in Tuxedo.   All of a sudden a car stops and Dieter Brock walks out and says "how ya'll  doin"?  Well I  almost fell over.  My football hero was walking  towards us and he had his hands out like he wanted the football.  So my buddy flipped him the ball and said, "who wants to go long".  One of my friends just started to run and Dieter through a perfect pass but of course he dropped it.  He then spent about 20 minutes just throwing the ball around with one of us playing receiver and the other DB.    He said he wouldn't throw too hard because our mom's would kill him if he hurt us.  

I caught two balls that day from him and eventhough he said he was taking some velocity off his throws.  They still hurt like a *****.  He would have stayed longer but he was meeting some guys for dinner and he couldn't be late or they'd make him pay. 

That's my Dieter Brock story and I haven't told it for probably 20 years or more.  Great guy, great football player and one of my football heros.