Making the league look bad: item #2837

do or die

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah, Ripper is welcome here as far as I'm concerned. He's not the brightest and I'm sure he's probably got some strange stories about a few of his relatives and a barn, but he's no troll.

;)

I concur with Mike on this one.  Ripper's a Rider fan through and through, but I've never seen anything that I would say comes close to trolling.  And he's also someone who admits that not everything in Green  Land is perfect.  I'll be he even has a passing relationship with soap.  #RipperLivesMatter

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Its a expensive dinner to attend, I'm glad he isn't coming. Don't want to see his face there. He won't be welcome at Mosiac either, not that we have to worry about him showing up there anyway.

37832161.jpg

And the only reason I say this is that your comment sounds so beyond ignorant that I can't believe it.  Kind of like when I listen to Donald Trump speak.  What's "an expensive dinner" in Saskatchewan these days anyway?  $12 for regular or $13 for the deluxe if you want ketchup with your fries and cheese on your burger?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

35 minutes ago, Saidin said:

I like other fans input.  The name calling, insult hurling I see here and over there can be insufferable...

I hate seeing the inbred. 1990, 25 years blah blah.  It's why I hardly ever post, beacause it's tough to find someone who can take criticism well and not get offended. :(

I don't think the Riders get properly acknowledged for their humility as a franchise.  Putting those 4 stripes on their pants as a constant reminder that they have won fewer Grey Cups than every other team in the league?  Now that's humble.

I will say this........one of the most honest, knowledgeable, real (in short: REAL) Riders fans I've ever known, is fully on board with what Rod Pedersen has been spouting and told me, straight as an arrow, that he fully believes in and supports Chris Jones, and knows he's doing the right things. Called this "a rebuilding year" and that everything would be hunky-dory next year. 

As has been said, even during the Mike Kelly year, which was arguably the darkest point in our long and storied history, we never stooped to the level of blaming the league, blaming conspirators......it was on Bauer, Kelly and all BOG people who started the roll downhill. 

No matter how bad our fan base can get at times, we've never gone "Full Riders Fan" like this.....

26 minutes ago, Ripper said:

. Winning a grey cup at home is a storey I'll be telling my grand children when I'm old and crusty.

It's important for grand parents in Saskatchewan to have good stories to tell as unlike in most other places, grand kids there only ever have one pair of grandparents.

48 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Bombers saw a huge season ticket jump their last year in the old barn (well last 2...) and it carried over into IGF and into the Grey Cup. It's now starting to go down a bit. Riders will also see that for the first few years at NMS. And if they stay on pace for 3 wins a year those ticket numbers will drop drastically.  

3 wins might be a pipe dream for us this year the way we are going.  I don't care if we win another game as long as we show up and try. Only 2 games ticked me off this year, Hamilton and Montreal, we layed down and took it, that I can't stand. Die with your boots on...

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Prior to today that was kind of what was believed.  Now I think its fairly obvious the Riders don't want him there to ruin a great event to recognize some former greats.

Nor should he.  It's a night to honour past Riders greats, not to corner the commish with angry questions

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

I was at a wedding on the weekend and a friend of the groom lives in Regina and has been a corporate sponsor of the Riders for over 20 years.  So in his words he's lived thru the best of times and the worst of times with this team.  Not only is he a corporate sponsor but he also has 6 season tickets for his entire family. 

This is the first year that he's questioned if he wants his business associated with the Rider brand.  The PR cheating and the Khalif Mitchell move is what he said has pushed him near the edge.  He was a huge an of the Jones hiring but his arrogance has him wondering if he's the right guy for the job. 

He's a rider fan thru and thru and he'll never give up his season tickets but he's seriously thinking about continuing his corporate sponsorship.  So I asked him if they fired Jones, would he continue with his sponsorship.  He said absolutely.      

This HAS to be a concern for the Riders front office.  I can see quite a few sponsors feeling this same way right now.  It's not just your business, it's your reputation.

41 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Funny everyone sitting around me on Sunday wanted him canned.

Every Friend of mine and the group we sit with is not even close to being in full support of Jones. I think other teams fans are just exaggerating the support for something to throw in our faces. 

57 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

37832161.jpg

And the only reason I say this is that your comment sounds so beyond ignorant that I can't believe it.  Kind of like when I listen to Donald Trump speak.  What's "an expensive dinner" in Saskatchewan these days anyway?  $12 for regular or $13 for the deluxe if you want ketchup with your fries and cheese on your burger?

There is about 1400 tickets. Vary from 350-500/ ticket, ketchup for your fries is extra.  I don't see any need for the Commissioner to be at the dinner. It is not a CFL matter, it is a team function with its fans.  No one would be giving him a hard time there, I was only joking about that. As far as the stadium, not so sure what the fans might say, especially some that have been tailgating.

Just now, Ripper said:

Every Friend of mine and the group we sit with is not even close to being in full support of Jones. I think other teams fans are just exaggerating the support for something to throw in our faces. 

Trying everything you can do within the cap to retain your solid core players (re Dressler, Chick, Shologan, Smith) even it it means shortchanging something else and rebuilding from there makes more sense to me. But I'm not the mastermind here, Jones is. I'm sure it will all work out. Next year by this time Jones will be doing his 'I told you so' speech. 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Funny everyone sitting around me on Sunday wanted him canned.

I don't think people that habituate sports and team fan forums are representative of  many fans. People on this site follow and know about leagues/teams/players/coaches/rules etc that the average football fan would have no interest in at all.

22 minutes ago, Ripper said:

It might just be the vocal majority on riderfans.com and other sites that allow comments that leaves us with that impression.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I will say this........one of the most honest, knowledgeable, real (in short: REAL) Riders fans I've ever known, is fully on board with what Rod Pedersen has been spouting and told me, straight as an arrow, that he fully believes in and supports Chris Jones, and knows he's doing the right things. Called this "a rebuilding year" and that everything would be hunky-dory next year. 

As has been said, even during the Mike Kelly year, which was arguably the darkest point in our long and storied history, we never stooped to the level of blaming the league, blaming conspirators......it was on Bauer, Kelly and all BOG people who started the roll downhill. 

No matter how bad our fan base can get at times, we've never gone "Full Riders Fan" like this.....

In an age where there is still a Flat Earth Society with thousands of members, women who flock to visit mass murderers and people who insist that the Earth was created 4000 years ago on a Thursday afternoon, this is not surprising.

From RiderFans:

Jamie Nye ‏@jamienye 5m5 minutes ago
Hearing this afternoon the #Riders first reached out to the #CFL re: Orridge not coming to the Plaza.

Jamie Nye ‏@jamienye 32s32 seconds ago
The team and the league agreed if there was a potential distraction w/ Orridge being there... best to keep spotlight on two inductees.

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

In an age where there is still a Flat Earth Society with thousands of members, women who flock to visit mass murderers and people who insist that the Earth was created 4000 years ago on a Thursday afternoon, this is not surprising.

Would not surprise me if Rod is a member and on the board.

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Would not surprise me if Rod is a member and on the board.

We have all wondered that but no one has ever figured out if he was or not. One thing is for sure, he reads it because he has mentioned things on his radio show that were a hot topic that day on riderfans.  I don't think he really likes the site because he gets blasted there quite a bit.

Just now, Ripper said:

We have all wondered that but no one has ever figured out if he was or not. One thing is for sure, he reads it because he has mentioned things on his radio show that were a hot topic that day on riderfans.  I don't think he really likes the site because he gets blasted there quite a bit.

Ah. Sort of like the Peter Warren or Don Imus of the CFL.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Making the situation even better is that I do think Jones is a good coach and if he'd kept his head down and just worked on rebuilding the team he likely would have got the job done sooner rather than later, but he went ahead and created a circus and now he's burning bridges and making himself look foolish, barring a quick and impressive turn around he's likely going to wind up being run out of town. So many similarities to Mike Kelly it's not even funny. Kelly could have been a good coach but the ego cost him, same happening to Jones right now from the looks of things. 

I honestly believe that the only reason Jones is "better" than someone like a Mike Kelly is that he literally had Mike Reilly fall in his lap.  He walked into a job with the best QB in the league at that time.

Jones has no respect for this league or this country.  It is pitiful.  He can't or won't learn the lessons and listen to good advice.  He literally gave away the wind in the long quarters on Sunday, which basically ended up being the difference in the game as we got a FG to end each half.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

It's probably good that I was, even if it was just for a week. I'm still over there reading but man, I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue right now. Rider Nation looks like an absolute joke right now. Bunch of entitled whiny brats. Not every single one of them, not by any stretch. But there's too many.

Didn't even notice that you got banned over there, lol. Unless some of your posts were removed, I didn't see you really cross the line.

RF is a zoo right now. I understand some of the frustration, but many of them are far overreacting. The league isn't doing as bad as they seem to think, although I am very concerned about BC and Toronto.

The problems with the league are pretty simple. Limit the challenging and the flags down to what it was a few years ago, and we're good to go. If Orridge can fix that, I have no complaints.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I'm pretty sure the CFL has had to issue more apologies to us than any other team, due to blown calls.  We've definitely been pissed off about it but we never threw a temper tantrum and blamed it on a conspiracy theory.  Seems like someone needs to learn to lose with some class.

i wanna say in 2000 late in the season while we were scraping for a play off spot, either hamilton or mtl got a roughing the passer call on lamar mcgriggs and the fans blew up throwing stuff on the field lamar lost his mind we got a ton of flags from it. But in the end it was a horrible call and the league issued an apology. Even under the use against the world dave ritchie era it was considered that we just didnt get respect and the benefit of the doubt. No one was calling it a conspiracy.